Prince is a little bitch (as seen on Leno last night)

apple...@gmail.com

May 29, 2009, 9:28:11 PM5/29/09
After his performance on Leno last night, Prince gave Jay a hand
written poster for Jay to hold up that said;

"Leno is the best, even Paul Shaffer knows"

You know, Dave always gets this rap as being mean to Leno but I have
never read or heard Dave say anything bad about Leno. When he does do
Jokes that mention Leno, it is always at his own (Dave) expense. Yet
I've heard Dave booed on Leno's show when his name is mentioned and
Leno is always making back handed comments about Dave.

Just pathetic.

Jess Band-ee-Coot

May 29, 2009, 9:53:37 PM5/29/09

You're wrong.
Dave takes digs at Leno all the time.

"The good thing about a bee is that it stings once and then it dies.
I wish I could say the same for Steve Curtis.�

Marilyn

May 29, 2009, 10:00:57 PM5/29/09
>> After his performance on Leno last night, Prince gave Jay a hand written
>> poster for Jay to hold up that said;
>> "Leno is the best, even Paul Shaffer knows"

Wow! I had to see that for myself. Prince wrote it on an easel during his
performance and tore it off for Jay afterward. You can see it here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTBQzuD9u4

In Jay's defense, it was such chicken scratch, I'm betting he only read the
"Leno is the best" part. He held it up and said "Aw, thanks. I'm going to
hang that on my wall."
Perhaps when he sees what it said, he'll feel like a douchebag.

apple...@gmail.com

May 29, 2009, 11:01:39 PM5/29/09
On May 29, 7:53 pm, Jess Band-ee-Coot <LateShoBandic...@xXaolXx.com>
wrote:

> applekra...@gmail.com wrote:
> > After his performance on Leno last night, Prince gave Jay a hand
> > written poster for Jay to hold up that said;
>
> > "Leno is the best, even Paul Shaffer knows"
>
> > You know, Dave always gets this rap as being mean to Leno but I have
> > never read or heard Dave say anything bad about Leno. When he does do
> > Jokes that mention Leno, it is always at his own (Dave) expense. Yet
> > I've heard Dave booed on Leno's show when his name is mentioned and
> > Leno is always making back handed comments about Dave.
>
> > Just pathetic.
>
> You're wrong.
> Dave takes digs at Leno all the time.

Please cite when Dave has ever taken a personal swipe at Leno. Usually
it's a joke about his mother or his family watching Leno instead of
him or lately, why he (Dave) can't get a 10 pm show. He has also
imitated Leno's voice but so has Conan and Bill Maher and Dennis
Miller. The kind of digs Dave takes at Leno are on par with the digs
Carson gave Merv Griffen who were really good friends. I have never
heard a Late Show audience boo Leno. I think Dave has been extremely
gracious to Leno considering what he did to him.

> --
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> "The good thing about a bee is that it stings once and then it dies.

> I wish I could say the same for Steve Curtis.”
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jess Band-ee-Coot

May 29, 2009, 11:04:45 PM5/29/09
apple...@gmail.com wrote:

> Please cite when Dave has ever taken a personal swipe at Leno. Usually
> it's a joke about his mother or his family watching Leno instead of
> him or lately, why he (Dave) can't get a 10 pm show.

If you want to look at it as those jokes being self-deprecating,
that's fine. However, to me, they always came off as Dave mocking Jay.

"The good thing about a bee is that it stings once and then it dies.

I wish I could say the same for Steve Curtis.�

apple...@gmail.com

May 29, 2009, 11:11:38 PM5/29/09
On May 29, 8:00 pm, "Marilyn" <marilyn...@cox.net> wrote:
> >> After his performance on Leno last night, Prince gave Jay a hand written
> >> poster for Jay to hold up that said;
>
>  >> "Leno is the best, even Paul Shaffer knows"
>
> Wow! I had to see that for myself. Prince wrote it on an easel during his
> performance and tore it off for Jay afterward. You can see it here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTBQzuD9u4

> In Jay's defense, it was such chicken scratch, I'm betting he only read the
> "Leno is the best" part. He held it up and said "Aw, thanks. I'm going to
> hang that on my wall."
> Perhaps when he sees what it said, he'll feel like a douchebag.

I agree that Leno probably didn't see the whole thing and if he did he
would have been uncomfortable about it. But I bet if someone had done
that on The Late Show it would have been edited out or blured out.

BTW, does anyone know why Prince would be anti-Dave?

Nek...@aol.com

May 29, 2009, 11:17:01 PM5/29/09
On May 29, 10:00 pm, "Marilyn" <marilyn...@cox.net> wrote:
> >> After his performance on Leno last night, Prince gave Jay a hand written
> >> poster for Jay to hold up that said;
>
>  >> "Leno is the best, even Paul Shaffer knows"
>
> Wow! I had to see that for myself. Prince wrote it on an easel during his
> performance and tore it off for Jay afterward. You can see it here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTBQzuD9u4

> In Jay's defense, it was such chicken scratch, I'm betting he only read the
> "Leno is the best" part. He held it up and said "Aw, thanks. I'm going to
> hang that on my wall."
> Perhaps when he sees what it said, he'll feel like a douchebag.

Chances are pretty high, that Dave will do something of the same thing
next week. Probably something funny as far as writing a message.
We'll see if he does it.

R H Draney

May 30, 2009, 1:06:48 AM5/30/09
apple...@gmail.com filted:

>BTW, does anyone know why Prince would be anti-Dave?

Resentment over his treatment of Richard Simmons?...r

--
A pessimist sees the glass as half empty.
An optometrist asks whether you see the glass

BIgPoppa

May 30, 2009, 1:45:42 AM5/30/09
Isn't this just a swipe at Letterman? Rumor has it that the last time
Prince was on that he staged some kind of a death scene at the end of
the performance and basically had to be dragged off and Dave
unofficially banned him. Prince is known to be very thin skinned
anyway. Or at least that's the latest I just read on the Interwebs.

apple...@gmail.com

May 30, 2009, 5:26:00 AM5/30/09
On May 29, 9:04 pm, Jess Band-ee-Coot <LateShoBandic...@xXaolXx.com>
wrote:

> applekra...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Please cite when Dave has ever taken a personal swipe at Leno. Usually
> > it's a joke about his mother or his family watching Leno instead of
> > him or lately, why he (Dave) can't get a 10 pm show.
>
> If you want to look at it as those jokes being self-deprecating,
> that's fine. However, to me, they always came off as Dave mocking Jay.

That's YOUR read into it. Is Dave ever saying derogetory comments
about Leno in those self-deprecating jokes? So he's saying his mother
is a loser for watching Leno? I wish Dave took digs at Leno because
Leno deserves it.

Let's see, Letterman using you (Leno) as a foil in self-deprecating
humor or having your then manager who used to be Letterman's manager
tell NBC brass that Letterman is metally unstable because "she knows"
and would be a disaster as a replacement for Carson. Lets see, which
is worse? Hum. It's hard to tell.

Or how about your friend Letterman putting you on his show on a
regular basis when your career was all but dead and you couldn't get
on any other shows, especially The Tonight Show. And because of those
regular appearances, your career is jump started and you become the
biggest stand up in the business, which leads to guest spots on Carson
which leads to becoming Carson's substitute host. And that leads to
you having your manager pressure the NBC brass to push Carson out or
you will go to another network and compete against Carson. You then
have your manager plant phony stories in the media that NBC is dumping
aging Carson for younger you (Leno) all the while continuing to appear
on Letterman and somehow not mentioning to "your friend" that you are
trying to manuver behind his back to land the job he has been working
toward all his life. And even when you get NBC to secretly name you
Carson's successor you keep coming on your friend Dave's show for over
a year and still don't tell him that you now have his dream job and
you still continue to push Carson out because you are impatient. And
your the offended one because Dave mocks your voice.

> --
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> "The good thing about a bee is that it stings once and then it dies.

> I wish I could say the same for Steve Curtis.”
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Donz5

May 30, 2009, 9:34:19 AM5/30/09
On May 30, 5:26 am, applekra...@gmail.com wrote:

[snip]

> You then
> have your manager plant phony stories in the media that NBC is dumping
> aging Carson for younger you (Leno) all the while continuing to appear
> on Letterman and somehow not mentioning to "your friend" that you are
> trying to manuver behind his back to land the job he has been working
> toward all his life.
>
> And even when you get NBC to secretly name you
> Carson's successor you keep coming on your friend Dave's show for over
> a year and still don't tell him that you now have his dream job and
> you still continue to push Carson out because you are impatient.

[snip]

October 10, 1990: Leno guests on LN

February 11, 1991: per plant by Helen Kushnick, NY Post headlines
"There Goes Johnny: NBC Looking to Dump Carson for Jay Leno" (Carter,
pp. 48-50)

mid-April 1991: Kushnick pressures NBC to put into writing guarantee
of Leno succeeding Carson (Carter, p. 62)

May 16, 1991: NBC and Leno secretly sign deal guaranteeing Leno the TS
(Carter, pp. 62-63)

May 23, 1991: Carson announces retirement at NBC affiliate meeting in
NYC (Carter, p. 1), drops in on Dave the same day and announces again

May 25, 1991: NY Post publishes Leno being awarded the TS (Carter, pp.
64-65)

June 4, 1991: Dave informs Warren Littlefield he wants out of his NBC
contract (Carter, pp. 72-75)

June 6, 1991: NBC publicly announces Leno as Carson's successor

December 12, 1991: Leno guests on LN

May 7, 1992: Leno guests on LN

The above chronology establishes that Jay did not "keep coming on" LN
while NBC was "secretly naming" him as Carson's successor. He guested
on the show in October 1990, months before Kushnick's secret dealings,
and he next guested on the show in December 1991, months after all
decisions had been publicly announced.

Jess Band-ee-Coot

May 30, 2009, 10:31:59 AM5/30/09
apple...@gmail.com wrote:
> So he's saying his mother
> is a loser for watching Leno?

Yes, that's how I interpreted it.

"The good thing about a bee is that it stings once and then it dies.

I wish I could say the same for Steve Curtis.�

apple...@gmail.com

May 30, 2009, 1:01:49 PM5/30/09
On May 30, 8:31 am, Jess Band-ee-Coot <LateShoBandic...@xXaolXx.com>
wrote:

> applekra...@gmail.com wrote:
> > So he's saying his mother
> > is a loser for watching Leno?
>
> Yes, that's how I interpreted it.

The way I interpret it is, that his mother likes Jay more than Dave.
Dave is taking on a Rodney Dangerfield persona, that he gets no
respect even from his mom/family. He's not calling his mother down,
he's calling himself down (self-deprecating). That even his mother
prefers Leno over him.

> --
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> "The good thing about a bee is that it stings once and then it dies.

> I wish I could say the same for Steve Curtis.”
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

apple...@gmail.com

May 30, 2009, 1:29:47 PM5/30/09

That still doesn't make Leno any less of a weasel.

I really don't know the exact chronology of what all went down. I was
just kind of riffing off the top of my head. It's been a long time
since I read The Late Shift. I remember Leno's manager had been
pushing the network with this while Jay was still guesting on Dave. I
know Dave has a lot of fault of his own for what eventually went down
because of his naivety. He should have forcefully been jockeying for
the Job like Leno did but It was unseemly to him to do that to Carson.
He should have realised his on air taunting of the "NBC pinheads" was
counter productive to him being given the Tonight Show. He should
have never assumed (if he did) that he was a lock as Johnny's heir. He
should have talked to Carson about securing The Tonight Show so that
he knew that Carson wouldn't feel like he
(Dave) was trying to push him out which was, I think, the reason for
his hesitancy to maneuver for the Job. But all that still doesn't
excuse Leno.

Donz5

May 30, 2009, 1:40:05 PM5/30/09

But it helps to base one's judgements on facts, not fiction.

> I really don't know the exact chronology of what all went down.

You do now. Leno never misled Dave during the times he guested on LN.

> I was
> just kind of riffing off the top of my head. It's been a long time
> since I read The Late Shift. I remember Leno's manager had been
> pushing the network with this while Jay was still guesting on Dave. I
> know Dave has a lot of fault of his own for what eventually went down
> because of his naivety. He should have forcefully been jockeying for
> the Job like Leno did but It was unseemly to him to do that to Carson.
> He should have realised his on air taunting of the "NBC pinheads" was
> counter productive  to him being given the Tonight Show. He should
> have never assumed (if he did) that he was a lock as Johnny's heir. He
> should have talked to Carson about securing The Tonight Show so that
> he knew that Carson wouldn't feel like he
> (Dave) was trying to push him out which was, I think, the reason for
> his hesitancy to maneuver for the Job. But all that still doesn't
> excuse Leno.

Dave began characterizing Littlefield as "NBC Programming Pinhead" in
early August, 1991, _after_ NBC's announcement that Leno was
succeeding Johnny.

randwill

May 30, 2009, 1:51:03 PM5/30/09

wrote:
> applekra...@gmail.com wrote:
> > So he's saying his mother
> > is a loser for watching Leno?
>
> Yes, that's how I interpreted it.

The way I interpret it is, that his mother likes Jay more than Dave.
Dave is taking on a Rodney Dangerfield persona, that he gets no
respect even from his mom/family. He's not calling his mother down,
he's calling himself down (self-deprecating). That even his mother
prefers Leno over him.

I concur. I'm surprised anyone would interpret this otherwise.

Jess Band-ee-Coot

May 30, 2009, 3:03:38 PM5/30/09

As I said, if that's how you see it, great.
I see it more as "Watching Leno is a no-no",
and Mom's doing it.

"The good thing about a bee is that it stings once and then it dies.

I wish I could say the same for Steve Curtis.�

Katy...@aol.com

May 30, 2009, 4:03:09 PM5/30/09
On May 30, 1:51 pm, "randwill" <rwilliams4...@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> <applekra...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Of course, that's right. He's saying "Even my own mother thinks Leno
is funnier than I am..." -- or something along that vein.
That's the very essence of the joke. And it's very much in character
since that's what Dave does. He'll joke about his looks ("Look at
me!") or his intelligence (the "dumb guy") so some other aspect of
himself in a self-deprecating and funny way. It's pure Dave.

Kate

Kate

kat...@earthlink.net

May 30, 2009, 6:43:25 PM5/30/09
On May 29, 6:28 pm, applekra...@gmail.com wrote:
> After his performance on Leno last night, Prince gave Jay a hand
> written poster for Jay to hold up that said;
>
> "Leno is the best, even Paul Shaffer knows"

Except he spelled it wrong:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2cgkoc0.jpg

Alan Page

May 30, 2009, 6:55:12 PM5/30/09

<apple...@gmail.com> wrote...

> I really don't know the exact chronology of what all went down. I was
> just kind of riffing off the top of my head. It's been a long time
> since I read The Late Shift.

What is this "The Late Shift" you speak of?

--

Alan

www.best-page.us

www.wfp.org

~WWWWW~
What a Wonderful Web We Weave

R H Draney

May 30, 2009, 7:53:07 PM5/30/09
kat...@earthlink.net filted:

You're going to ding the composer of "Nothing Compares 2 U", "Gett Off"
"Anotherloverholenyohead" and "The One U Wanna C" for *spelling*?...r

Sharon L Page

May 30, 2009, 8:06:45 PM5/30/09

"Alan Page" <alp...@spamsucceed.net> wrote

> <apple...@gmail.com> wrote...
>> I really don't know the exact chronology of what all went down. I was
>> just kind of riffing off the top of my head. It's been a long time
>> since I read The Late Shift.
>
> What is this "The Late Shift" you speak of?

I know.

SLP
*****
:-)

apple...@gmail.com

May 30, 2009, 9:43:55 PM5/30/09
On May 30, 11:40 am, Donz5 <do...@aol.com> wrote:
> On May 30, 1:29 pm, applekra...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > On May 30, 7:34 am, Donz5 <do...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > > On May 30, 5:26 am, applekra...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > [snip]

I'm making my judgment on what I have read and heard from books like
"The Late Shift" and from articles about it at the time. Also from
what Peter Lasalli said on a radio interview right after Johnny died
where he went into pretty good detail about Jay and his manager's
actions towards Johnny and towards Dave, which pretty much echo what
was in The Late Shift. These are the best facts I or anyone else can
go by since we aren't Jay, Dave or Johnny. But you can say that about
any written or told history.

> > I really don't know the exact chronology of what all went down.
>
> You do now. Leno never misled Dave during the times he guested on LN.

How do you know that? Just because Leno's manager didn't plant the
Carson story until 91 after Jay's 1990 appearance? Jay's maneuvering
started before that. If you believe what Leno says, he and Dave were
great friends. I take from that that they talked other times besides
just "on air". As "friends" they should have at least had some private
conversations between TV appearances. Leno has made preposterous
comments like "Dave never told him he wanted the Tonight Show" or that
"he had no idea Dave didn't want to continue to keep doing Late Night
and wanted to move up to Tonight." If Leno is lying and he and Dave
were never the great friends he says they were then maybe he didn't do
anything wrong to Dave. It was just 2 TV personalities who
occasionally appeared together on TV but had no contact or affection
for each other except during that 10 minutes every 8 to10 weeks, who
both go up for the same Job and one gets it and the other doesn't. The
one who got it maneuvered behind the other one's back but it doesn't
matter because they weren't ever friends in the first place. But if
you listen and believe Leno who was complaining just recently that
Dave didn't respond to a letter he wrote him after his heart surgery
and that they were close friends until he got the Tonight Show. Either
way Jay's a dick. He's either a liar who concocted a fake friendship
with Dave or he's a backstabber who maneuvered behind his friend's
back to beat him out of a job.

I remember around 1994 when Jay's mother died he did an on air tribute
to her where he mentioned how blessed he was because he can count
people like David Letterman and Jerry Seinfeld as his "best" friends.

> > I was
> > just kind of riffing off the top of my head. It's been a long time
> > since I read The Late Shift. I remember Leno's manager had been
> > pushing the network with this while Jay was still guesting on Dave. I
> > know Dave has a lot of fault of his own for what eventually went down
> > because of his naivety. He should have forcefully been jockeying for
> > the Job like Leno did but It was unseemly to him to do that to Carson.
> > He should have realised his on air taunting of the "NBC pinheads" was
> > counter productive  to him being given the Tonight Show. He should
> > have never assumed (if he did) that he was a lock as Johnny's heir. He
> > should have talked to Carson about securing The Tonight Show so that
> > he knew that Carson wouldn't feel like he
> > (Dave) was trying to push him out which was, I think, the reason for
> > his hesitancy to maneuver for the Job. But all that still doesn't
> > excuse Leno.
>
> Dave began characterizing Littlefield as "NBC Programming Pinhead" in
> early August, 1991, _after_ NBC's announcement that Leno was

> succeeding Johnny.- Hide quoted text -

apple...@gmail.com

May 30, 2009, 9:50:12 PM5/30/09

I need to correct that. It was in June of 93.

> > > I was
> > > just kind of riffing off the top of my head. It's been a long time
> > > since I read The Late Shift. I remember Leno's manager had been
> > > pushing the network with this while Jay was still guesting on Dave. I
> > > know Dave has a lot of fault of his own for what eventually went down
> > > because of his naivety. He should have forcefully been jockeying for
> > > the Job like Leno did but It was unseemly to him to do that to Carson.
> > > He should have realised his on air taunting of the "NBC pinheads" was
> > > counter productive  to him being given the Tonight Show. He should
> > > have never assumed (if he did) that he was a lock as Johnny's heir. He
> > > should have talked to Carson about securing The Tonight Show so that
> > > he knew that Carson wouldn't feel like he
> > > (Dave) was trying to push him out which was, I think, the reason for
> > > his hesitancy to maneuver for the Job. But all that still doesn't
> > > excuse Leno.
>
> > Dave began characterizing Littlefield as "NBC Programming Pinhead" in
> > early August, 1991, _after_ NBC's announcement that Leno was
> > succeeding Johnny.- Hide quoted text -

Donz5

May 30, 2009, 10:39:18 PM5/30/09

Because there's no evidence that he did.

> Just because Leno's manager didn't plant the
> Carson story until 91 after Jay's 1990 appearance?

Four months after Jay's 1990 appearance. Supply some evidence that
Kushnick had been planning this before Jay's October 1990 guest
appearance on LN.

> Jay's maneuvering
> started before that.

Again -- source?

> If you believe what Leno says, he and Dave were
> great friends.

They were never "great friends."

> I take from that that they talked other times besides
> just "on air".

You're extending a false claim into further fiction.

> As "friends" they should have at least had some private
> conversations between TV appearances

And yet there's zero evidence that they were (1) "great friends," (2)
"talked other times besides just 'on air'," and (3) "should have at

least had some private conversations between TV appearances."

> Leno has made preposterous
> comments like "Dave never told him he wanted the Tonight Show" or that
> "he had no idea Dave didn't want to continue to keep doing Late Night
> and wanted to move up to Tonight."

How is that preposterous? You've got two conflicting claims here:
Either Jay is telling the truth by claiming they were "great
friends" (source for that?) but then he's lying when claims that Dave
never confided to him his desire for the Tonight Show.

Or:

Jay was lying when he claims he and Dave were "great friends" but was
telling the truth when he claimed that Dave never told Jay re the TS.

Or:

Dave and Jay were never "great friends," and Dave never confided in
Jay. No conflicts.

> If Leno is lying and he and Dave
> were never the great friends he says they were then maybe he didn't do
> anything wrong to Dave.

::ding::

> It was just 2 TV personalities who
> occasionally appeared together on TV but had no contact or affection
> for each other except during that 10 minutes every 8 to10 weeks, who
> both go up for the same Job and one gets it and the other doesn't.

Another ::ding:: To be more specific, one is more actively involved
with getting the job while the other isn't.

> The
> one who got it maneuvered behind the other one's back but it doesn't
> matter because they weren't ever friends in the first place.

I don't understand the "it doesn't matter" phrase. Of course it
matters, but I don't see the relevance here.

> But if
> you listen and believe Leno who was complaining just recently that
> Dave didn't respond to a letter he wrote him after his heart surgery
> and that they were close friends until he got the Tonight Show. Either
> way Jay's a dick. He's either a liar who concocted a fake friendship
> with Dave or he's a backstabber who maneuvered behind his friend's
> back to beat him out of a job.

Or a third possibility: Jay went after a job that Dave had never
confided to him that he wanted as well, and for which Dave had never
actively campaigned, and so Jay has a clear conscious, since he never
"backstabbed" or "maneuvered" behind Dave's back.

> I remember around 1994 when Jay's mother died he did an on air tribute
> to her where he mentioned how blessed he was because he can count
> people like David Letterman and Jerry Seinfeld as his "best" friends.

I'd like to see that clip again, as I don't recall Jay ever mentioning
Dave in that tribute.

Tim Howard

May 31, 2009, 12:11:17 AM5/31/09
apple...@gmail.com wrote:
> After his performance on Leno last night, Prince gave Jay a hand
> written poster for Jay to hold up that said;
>
> "Leno is the best, even Paul Shaffer knows"

Maybe he was mad at Dave for having that Prince cover band on a few
months ago. That seems odd for Prince to act like a kiss-up.

> You know, Dave always gets this rap as being mean to Leno but I have
> never read or heard Dave say anything bad about Leno. When he does do
> Jokes that mention Leno, it is always at his own (Dave) expense.

I have heard Dave do a few jokes trashing Leno's show and making fun of
him in other ways. Not too often, and the jokes where not undeserved.

apple...@gmail.com

May 31, 2009, 1:52:10 AM5/31/09

I remember it vividly because I was on vacation in St Thomas Virgin
Islands and watching Leno in the hotel room (Letterman's Show didn't
air there or at least I couldn't find it.). I remember wondering if
him and Letterman had patched things up. The show was sometime right
before or after the 4th of July because at that time I always took my
vacations around July 4th.

> > > Dave began characterizing Littlefield as "NBC Programming Pinhead" in
> > > early August, 1991, _after_ NBC's announcement that Leno was
> > > succeeding Johnny.- Hide quoted text -

Marilyn

May 30, 2009, 3:01:55 PM5/30/09
BIgPoppa wrote:
> Isn't this just a swipe at Letterman? Rumor has it that the last time
> Prince was on that he staged some kind of a death scene at the end of
> the performance and basically had to be dragged off and Dave
> unofficially banned him.

It most certainly was a swipe at Dave on Prince's part. I remember the death
scene, just don't remember much about any reaction to it- banning or
otherwise. Has Prince been on The Late Show since that odd performance?

Donz5

May 31, 2009, 12:12:10 PM5/31/09

Nope; his two appearances on LS:

1994 December 13: "Dolphins"
1996 July 8: "Dinner with Delores"

Donz5

May 31, 2009, 12:36:16 PM5/31/09
On May 31, 1:52 am, applekra...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > I remember around 199[3] when Jay's mother died he did an on air tribute

> > > to her where he mentioned how blessed he was because he can count
> > > people like David Letterman and Jerry Seinfeld as his "best" friends.
>
> > I'd like to see that clip again, as I don't recall Jay ever mentioning
> > Dave in that tribute.
>
> I remember it vividly because I was on vacation in St Thomas Virgin
> Islands and watching Leno in the hotel room (Letterman's Show didn't
> air there or at least I couldn't find it.). I remember wondering if
> him and Letterman had patched things up. The show was sometime right
> before or after the 4th of July because at that time I always took my
> vacations around July 4th.

Jay's mom died Saturday, June 26, 1993 (ironically the day after
Dave's last LNwDL -- Jay had wished Dave good luck right at the end of
his own show that night). Jay was off the following week, so his
tribute probably occured the day he returned on the air, Monday, July
5. So you're dead-on with the date.

I was hoping that I had taped it back then, but it looks like I
didn't. Drat.

apple...@gmail.com

May 31, 2009, 1:48:34 PM5/31/09
On May 30, 10:11 pm, Tim Howard <tim.how...@suddenlink.net> wrote:

Re-thinking my position, I do think that Dave's jokes about why he
can't have a 10pm show could be seen as mocking Jay because NBC
supposedly offered him the same deal to keep him from jumping to CBS
and he smartly turned it down.

Message has been deleted

No One

Jun 8, 2009, 2:03:06 PM6/8/09