Jimmy Dean was in line to replace Carson on The Tonight Show.

garyd

Jun 17, 2010, 12:39:03 AM6/17/10
The Late Jimmy Dean was in line to replace Carson on The Tonight Show
during a contract dispute between Carson and NBC when Caron was
unhappy that NBC was showing Tonight Show reruns during an AFTRA
strike. Dean who was Carson's first guest host, filled in during the
dispute. NBC was ready to name him the new host if Carson walked.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=757&dat=19670412&id=mh4TAAAAIBAJ&sjid=360DAAAAIBAJ&pg=2017,2888477

Tom Wolper

Jun 17, 2010, 12:55:16 PM6/17/10

Here's an excerpt from a memorial post by former TV writer Mark Rothman:

http://markrothmansblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/hawk-for-dean.html

I was a page at ABC in New York when Jimmy Dean was hosting his variety series
there in 1965 and 1966.

<snip>

The job we all dreaded more than any was when we looked at the Page Assignment
List on the bulletin board, and it said "Hawk for Dean" next to your name.
"Hawking", in general, was the worst job there was as a page.
It meant going to street corners, usually in Times Square, dressed in your
garish, red, movie usher-looking. page uniform, yelling out "Free TV Tickets!"
to every passerby.
God, did I hate that.

This was ABC's way of filling seats for their live audience shows, of which "The
Jimmy Dean Show" was one.
Of which "The Jimmy Dean Show" was the hardest show to get an audience for.
No New Yorker wanted to go see it.
That left only tourists.
The show was taped at the ABC Colonial Theatre on 63rd Street and Broadway.
A block away from the brand spanking-new Lincoln Center.
In a generally seedy area.
Now, it's quite a trendy area.
At least in part because they long ago tore down the ABC Colonial Theatre.
It was hardly walking distance from Times Square, however.
So ABC provided buses.
Buses that people had to board, and wait for them to be filled.
They only rarely got filled.

We usually never had more than half a house.

Clifford T. Newsome

Jun 17, 2010, 2:37:57 PM6/17/10
Haven't checked, but I'm quite sure Dean played the Las Vegas mogul whose
hotel Sean Connery as James Bond breaks into in Diamonds Are Forever (a
movie most notable for the following unforgettable lines: "I'm Bambi." "I'm
Thumper.")

James Langdell

Jun 17, 2010, 4:27:33 PM6/17/10
So did Jimmy Dean, as talk show host, do free meat giveaways long
before Letterman? Or did Dean's sausage-making career begin after his
TV hosting years?

--James

> http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=757&dat=19670412&id=mh4TAAAAIBA...

Sally

Jun 17, 2010, 4:50:11 PM6/17/10
On Jun 17, 4:27�pm, James Langdell <jameslangd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So did Jimmy Dean, as talk show host, do free meat giveaways long
> before Letterman? �Or did Dean's sausage-making career begin after his
> TV hosting years?
>
> --James

James,

I think the meat-selling began after. Never cared for Jimmy Dean, and
never bought his sausages. I doubt he gave away anything for free, but
that's just my impression of him.

Sally

R H Draney

Jun 17, 2010, 5:48:29 PM6/17/10
Sally filted:

>On Jun 17, 4:27=EF=BF=BDpm, James Langdell <jameslangd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So did Jimmy Dean, as talk show host, do free meat giveaways long
>> before Letterman? =EF=BF=BDOr did Dean's sausage-making career begin afte=
>r his
>> TV hosting years?

>I think the meat-selling began after. Never cared for Jimmy Dean, and
>never bought his sausages. I doubt he gave away anything for free, but
>that's just my impression of him.

I liked the flapsticks, and the revamped version does nothing for me....r

--
"Oy! A cat made of lead cannot fly."
- Mark Brader declaims a basic scientific principle

garyd

Jun 18, 2010, 3:05:10 AM6/18/10
On Jun 17, 10:55 am, Tom Wolper <twol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/17/10 12:39 AM, garyd wrote:
>
> > The Late Jimmy Dean was in line to replace Carson on The Tonight Show
> > during a contract dispute between Carson and NBC when Caron was
> > unhappy that NBC was showing Tonight Show reruns during an AFTRA
> > strike. Dean who was Carson's first guest host, filled in during the
> > dispute. NBC was ready to name him the new host if Carson walked.
>
> >http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=757&dat=19670412&id=mh4TAAAAIBA...

On several trips to LA in the late 90's and early 2000's, I regularly
saw a booth set up at the Universal City Walk "Hawking" Jay Leno
Tonight Show tickets for that afternoon's taping. I never could figure
out why they seemed to have such a hard time filling the supposedly
number one late night show when Dave's show had such a long waiting
list. One the times I have watched Leno, I've noticed empty seats up
in the far corners of his old studio.

garyd

Jun 18, 2010, 3:08:44 AM6/18/10

Yes, he played the Howard Hughes like billionaire Willard Whyte.

R H Draney

Jun 18, 2010, 3:19:25 AM6/18/10
garyd filted:

>On several trips to LA in the late 90's and early 2000's, I regularly
>saw a booth set up at the Universal City Walk "Hawking" Jay Leno
>Tonight Show tickets for that afternoon's taping. I never could figure
>out why they seemed to have such a hard time filling the supposedly
>number one late night show when Dave's show had such a long waiting
>list. One the times I have watched Leno, I've noticed empty seats up
>in the far corners of his old studio.

Many of Leno's biggest fans never watch his show because they're too busy
watching Dave so they can post their complaints here....r

DTSmith

Jun 18, 2010, 7:53:00 AM6/18/10
On Jun 18, 3:19 am, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Many of Leno's biggest fans never watch his show because they're too busy
> watching Dave so they can post their complaints here....r

Good one, Ron. :-)

Wiseguy

Jun 19, 2010, 1:29:47 AM6/19/10
DTSmith <smi...@queensu.ca> wrote in

Too bad it doesn't make sense. First, there are numerous means to watch
both. Watching one doesn't mean missing the other.

Second, it is Leno that gets the most complaints here, not Dave. Leno's
complainers always have details of what he says and does. How do they
know?

Third, I'm sure "many of Leno's biggest fans" wouldn't post here in the
first place. They have better things to do with their time than analyze
(read "anal") each show to the point of knowing where the commercial
breaks are or what Alan says at the beginning and end, etc. etc.

R H Draney

Jun 19, 2010, 1:31:01 AM6/19/10
Wiseguy filted:

>DTSmith <smi...@queensu.ca> wrote in
>
>> On Jun 18, 3:19�am, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Many of Leno's biggest fans never watch his show because they're too
>>> busy watching Dave so they can post their complaints here....r
>>>

>> Good one, Ron. :-)
>>

>Too bad it doesn't make sense. First, there are numerous means to watch
>both. Watching one doesn't mean missing the other.

It does if you can't stay up that late....r

Wiseguy

Jun 19, 2010, 1:59:07 AM6/19/10
R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in

> Wiseguy filted:
>>
>>DTSmith <smi...@queensu.ca> wrote in

@i28g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

>>> Good one, Ron. :-)
>>>

>>Too bad it doesn't make sense. First, there are numerous means to
watch
>>both. Watching one doesn't mean missing the other.
>
> It does if you can't stay up that late....r

I had two VCRs back in the mid-1980's and could tape two things without
watching either. Try to keep up with technology.

garyd

Jun 19, 2010, 5:36:57 AM6/19/10
On Jun 18, 11:29 pm, Wiseguy <epw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

First of all, IT WAS A JOKE!

Second, THIS IS A LETTERMAN FAN SITE! Of course Leno is going to get
the most complaints here. How do Leno's complainers have the details
of what he says and does? They occasionally watch him like I do, like
when Dave's show is dark or if Leno has a guest I want to see. They
also rerun his show early in the morning in many markets. I sometimes
see it then. You can also catch him on the internet in several places.

It still doesn't make sense to me why Leno fans would even post here
at all since it is a "Letterman" fan site. Don't YOU have better
things to do than post on this site? Please show examples of anyone
"anally" analyzing the show besides the one guy that posts a show
rundown.

The fact is, despite supposedly being the number one late night show,
Leno has at times had trouble filling their studio audience when at
the same time, Letterman has had long waiting lists for show tickets.
The best explanation that I heard about Leno's popularity is: "It's a
mile wide and an inch thick."

garyd

Jun 19, 2010, 5:44:05 AM6/19/10
On Jun 18, 11:59 pm, Wiseguy <epw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote innews:hvhkm...@drn.newsguy.com:

We had two VCRs back in the late 70's. So what?

You are the one who anally analyzes posts on this message board and
you are accusing Letterman fans who post here of being anal?

Wiseguy

Jun 19, 2010, 9:33:35 AM6/19/10
garyd <apple...@gmail.com> wrote in

I respond to posts. Stop making things up.

DTSmith

Jun 19, 2010, 1:16:49 PM6/19/10
On Jun 19, 5:36 am, garyd <applekra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> First of all, IT WAS A JOKE!

And a good one.

> The best explanation that I heard about Leno's popularity is: "It's a
> mile wide and an inch thick."

Another good one.

garyd

Jun 19, 2010, 2:20:43 PM6/19/10
On Jun 19, 7:33 am, Wiseguy <epw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I respond to posts. Stop making things up.- Hide quoted text -

The way that you responded to D H Draney's joke proves my point.

R H Draney

Jun 19, 2010, 2:21:25 PM6/19/10
garyd filted:

>It still doesn't make sense to me why Leno fans would even post here
>at all since it is a "Letterman" fan site. Don't YOU have better
>things to do than post on this site? Please show examples of anyone
>"anally" analyzing the show besides the one guy that posts a show
>rundown.

How about running down the monologue joke-by-joke and checking off the ones that
have been told before?...r

R H Draney

Jun 19, 2010, 2:22:03 PM6/19/10
Wiseguy filted:

>R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in
>
>> Wiseguy filted:
>>>
>>>Too bad it doesn't make sense. First, there are numerous means to
>watch
>>>both. Watching one doesn't mean missing the other.
>>
>> It does if you can't stay up that late....r
>>

>I had two VCRs back in the mid-1980's and could tape two things without
>watching either. Try to keep up with technology.

VCRs is "keeping up with technology"?...r

Sally

Jun 21, 2010, 5:44:48 PM6/21/10
On Jun 17, 4:27 pm, James Langdell <jameslangd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=757&dat=19670412&id=mh4TAAAAIBA...- Hide quoted text -

According to his obit, the sausage-selling did start after his singing
career (remember "Big Bad John?")

That song was more spoken than sung.

Much later, he played Howard Hughes in a movie.

Sally

garyd

Jun 21, 2010, 11:40:20 PM6/21/10
On Jun 21, 3:44 pm, Sally <SallyDr...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jun 17, 4:27 pm, James Langdell <jameslangd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > So did Jimmy Dean, as talk show host, do free meat giveaways long
> > before Letterman?  Or did Dean's sausage-making career begin after his
> > TV hosting years?
>
> > --James
>
> > On Jun 16, 9:39 pm, garyd <applekra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > The Late Jimmy Dean was in line to replace Carson on The Tonight Show
> > > during a contract dispute between Carson and NBC when Caron was
> > > unhappy that NBC was showing Tonight Show reruns during an AFTRA
> > > strike. Dean who was Carson's first guest host, filled in during the
> > > dispute. NBC was ready to name him the new host if Carson walked.
>
> > >http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=757&dat=19670412&id=mh4TAAAAIBA...Hide quoted text -

> According to his obit, the sausage-selling did start after his singing
> career (remember "Big Bad John?")
>
> That song was more spoken than sung.
>
> Much later, he played Howard Hughes in a movie.
>
> Sally- Hide quoted text -

Correction, he played Willard Whyte in the James Bond movie: Diamonds
Are Forever. .

R H Draney

Jun 21, 2010, 11:43:37 PM6/21/10
Sally filted:

>> On Jun 16, 9:39=A0pm, garyd <applekra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > The Late Jimmy Dean was in line to replace Carson on The Tonight Show
>> > during a contract dispute between Carson and NBC when Caron was
>> > unhappy that NBC was showing Tonight Show reruns during an AFTRA
>> > strike. Dean who was Carson's first guest host, filled in during the
>> > dispute. NBC was ready to name him the new host if Carson walked.
>
>According to his obit, the sausage-selling did start after his singing
>career (remember "Big Bad John?")
>
>That song was more spoken than sung.

Other hit songs that were "more spoken than sung" (other than rap):

"Ringo" by Lorne Greene
"Spill the Wine" by Eric Burdon and War
"Desiderata" by Les Crane
"Come Home, It's Suppertime" by Walter Brennan
"Once In A Lifetime" by Talking Heads
"Give Peace A Chance" by Plastic Ono Band
"Patches" by Clarence Carter
"Once You Understand" by Think

....r

Donz5

Jun 22, 2010, 12:31:16 AM6/22/10

"They're Coming to Take Me Away Aha" by Napoleon XIV
"Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" by Rolf Harris

Alan Page

Jun 22, 2010, 12:34:34 AM6/22/10

"Donz5" wrote...

> "They're Coming to Take Me Away Aha" by Napoleon XIV

Are you crazy? It's "They're Coming to Take Me Away Haha" mister.

--

Alan

www.best-page.us

www.wfp.org

~WWWWW~
What a Wonderful Web We Weave

Twibil

Jun 22, 2010, 4:20:41 AM6/22/10
On Jun 21, 8:43 pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> >According to his obit, the sausage-selling did start after his singing
> >career (remember "Big Bad John?")
>
> >That song was more spoken than sung.
>
> Other hit songs that were "more spoken than sung" (other than rap):
>
>   "Ringo" by Lorne Greene
>   "Spill the Wine" by Eric Burdon and War
>   "Desiderata" by Les Crane
>   "Come Home, It's Suppertime" by Walter Brennan
>   "Once In A Lifetime" by Talking Heads
>   "Give Peace A Chance" by Plastic Ono Band
>   "Patches" by Clarence Carter
>   "Once You Understand" by Think

You forgot Rex Harrison -as Henry Higgins- talking his way through
entire score of "My Fair Lady".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HroAq_E075Y

But he was so good that he made it work.

~Pete

R H Draney

Jun 22, 2010, 12:57:07 PM6/22/10
Twibil filted:

>On Jun 21, 8:43=A0pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>>

>> >According to his obit, the sausage-selling did start after his singing
>> >career (remember "Big Bad John?")
>>
>> >That song was more spoken than sung.
>>
>> Other hit songs that were "more spoken than sung" (other than rap):
>>
>> =A0 "Ringo" by Lorne Greene
>> =A0 "Spill the Wine" by Eric Burdon and War
>> =A0 "Desiderata" by Les Crane
>> =A0 "Come Home, It's Suppertime" by Walter Brennan
>> =A0 "Once In A Lifetime" by Talking Heads
>> =A0 "Give Peace A Chance" by Plastic Ono Band
>> =A0 "Patches" by Clarence Carter
>> =A0 "Once You Understand" by Think

>You forgot Rex Harrison -as Henry Higgins- talking his way through
>entire score of "My Fair Lady".
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DHroAq_E075Y

>But he was so good that he made it work.

I figured people like Rex Harrison and Robert Preston were in a category by
themselves....

One might also mention Tony Randall, whose timbre was so much the same in either
mode that you could never be really sure if he was talking or singing....

And Johnny Cash, who Rich Little once called "the only man I know who can talk
off-key"....r

Twibil

Jun 22, 2010, 1:45:52 PM6/22/10
On Jun 22, 9:57 am, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> >You forgot Rex Harrison -as Henry Higgins- talking his way through
> >entire score of "My Fair Lady".
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DHroAq_E075Y
>
> >But he was so good that he made it work.
>
> I figured people like Rex Harrison and Robert Preston were in a category by
> themselves....

Um, well, ah, (shuffles toe in dirt), no. They're not in the same
category at all.

Robert Preston could sing very well indeed, while Harrison was -shall
we say- "melodically challenged".

As a result, Preston made most of his pelf by singing like a bird;
thus proving that talk is cheep.

~Pete