Q on Sopranos and Mezzo-sopranos???

Jong Jong

Jul 15, 2003, 1:10:49 AM7/15/03
Is it true that for a long long time now... Sopranos and
Mezzo-sopranos have been vying (sp?) for the title of Prima Donnas in
operas... that the role of a soprano can be taken by a mezzo-soprano.

Is it true that there were mezzo-sopranos who tried to push their
voices up to extend their repertoire? (ex. Mezzo Janet Baker)

In the case of Ms. Lea Salonga, is she a mezzo-soprano or soprano? She
said she's kind of in between but the quality, color and timbre of her
voice tells that she's similar to that of a lyric soprano or mezzo....
it's just that oftentimes, she sings alto parts.

What can you say about Regine's falsetto? I read that mezzo-sopranos
tend to sound out of control when they push their voices up outside
their range. Is it the same w/ Regine that's why she sounds out of
control when hitting F6 and C6?
Because she only sounds great in her mid-range...

Ms. Lea and Lani Misalucha can sing high notes effortlessly using
their soft tones or falsetto. Regine uses her chest-head voice.
According to my prof, a mixed natural-false voice but what I like
about it is that she can hit an F6 using that kind of singing and can
sustain her high notes w/ a powerful headtone. I also like it when she
does cresendos when hitting a high C then manages to push it up to a
high F without breathing or pausing. Tama ba???

chutzpah2000

Jul 15, 2003, 1:34:36 AM7/15/03
huh?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you
with experience.

"Jong Jong" <jon...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Jess

Jul 15, 2003, 2:31:50 PM7/15/03
>huh?

Someone is getting all technical on us....

=====================Only in New York==========================
~Jess~
-Who would probably like a singing rock if it were on Broadway.

Nicky

Jul 15, 2003, 3:07:06 PM7/15/03
Jong Jong wrote:

| Is it true that for a long long time now... Sopranos and Mezzo-sopranos
have been vying (sp?) for the title of Prima Donnas in operas... that the
role of a soprano can be taken by a mezzo-soprano.

It much depends on the range of the score. I've heard the role of Pamina
(Magic Flute) being sung by a mezz. However there are many opera parts
which are specifically written for mezzo sopranoes - Carmen, for one
example. I know of some friends who sing in operas and feel quite lucky to
be a part of the ensemble never mind securing a principal role.

| Is it true that there were mezzo-sopranos who tried to push their voices
up to extend their repertoire? (ex. Mezzo Janet Baker)

Every singer experiments with their voices, either to deepen their range or
propell it. I dare that yes many singers do try to change their style
especially if they are gunning for a particular role.

| In the case of Ms. Lea Salonga, is she a mezzo-soprano or soprano? She
said she's kind of in between but the quality, color and timbre of her voice
tells that she's similar to that of a lyric soprano or mezzo.... it's just
that oftentimes, she sings alto parts.

I can't speak about Lea, I'm not sure. What I can tell you is that voice
ranges are not split exactly into different categories. Some people (like
myself) have many registers and can sing at many octave ranges, not fitting
into any specific category. Though sometimes it may depend of the quality
of voice to. For example, I'm a very strong soprano and can sing alto parts
as well as, but I don't have the quality in my voice to call myself a
professional contralto.

| What can you say about Regine's falsetto? I read that mezzo-sopranos tend
to sound out of control when they push their voices up outside their range.
Is it the same w/ Regine that's why she sounds out of control when hitting
F6 and C6? Because she only sounds great in her mid-range...

F6 and C6???? Oh my goodness... I doubt very much that Regine can hit
that octave range. Honey, octave 6 is way up at the top right hand corner of
the keyboard - to high for human capacity. Most coloratura's can only reach
5 octave levels.

Best,
Nicky

Jong Jong

Jul 15, 2003, 10:58:01 PM7/15/03
"Nicky" <nicola.t...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<bf1j9r$9tbq3$1...@ID-127059.news.uni-berlin.de>...

Thanks, Nicky. Ang bait mo talaga! So C5 pala. Pasensiya na talagang
bobito (brainless) ako e. Hindi kasi uso ang internet dati sa Baliuag,
Bulacan. Taga-doon ako e. Thanks ha.

Jong :)

Jong :)

Nicky

Jul 16, 2003, 2:05:56 PM7/16/03
Jong Jong wrote:

| Thanks, Nicky. Ang bait mo talaga! So C5 pala. Pasensiya na talagang
bobito (brainless) ako e. Hindi kasi uso ang internet dati sa Baliuag,
Bulacan. Taga-doon ako e. Thanks ha.

Jong, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't speak Tagalog.

Best,
Nicky

m1thrand1r

Jul 17, 2003, 12:07:25 AM7/17/03
Q: How many sopranos does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Four. One to change it and three to stand there saying "I could do that better"

Thornbird

Jul 17, 2003, 6:35:52 AM7/17/03
m1thr...@excite.com (m1thrand1r) wrote in message news:<d2ebcd7f.03071...@posting.google.com>...

> Q: How many sopranos does it take to change a lightbulb?
>
> A: Four. One to change it and three to stand there saying "I could do that better"

Hahaha! 'Tis funny! :)

The Bitch

Jul 17, 2003, 11:25:55 AM7/17/03
Ipukpok ko kaya sa ulo niyo ang lightbulb? Mga swanget!

Hannah Albarece

May 1, 2021, 4:20:21 PM5/1/21
Well, she seems to say herself that she's an alto-mezzo, but in more classical arrangements can move into soprano. https://twitter.com/msleasalonga/status/368763362466738176?lang=en