Voice Range (rant)

Jason Qualls

Apr 2, 2002, 5:45:17 AM4/2/02
Hi, I'm Jason, I've never posted here before, but I found this and
thought it looked interesting. Okay, I've long been a fan of Lea
Salonga, and something about the public opinion of her voice bothers
me, so I'm going to rant. I just got the "Les Mis- Dream Cast" video
in the mail last week. I noticed, "Wow, her voice is really low." Wow.
So I dug up my Miss Saigon cast recording and listened to it, and sure
enough: She is an alto. In the song "Please," she goes down to an E,
which is fairly low even for an alto. And in "I'd Give My Life For
You," she goes up to a D, IN the staff, and you can tell it's starting
to reach the top of her range. A D is not very high, for MOSTLY all
sopranos. I know this topic has been discussed time and time again (I
skimmed previous posts on here), but every time it is, everyone seems
to come to the conclusion that she is a "lyric soprano." She just
isn't. She's a lyric mezzo-soprano at the highest. I won't stretch it
and say that she's a lyric contralto, but she definitely comes close.
The thing is that when she sings, she has a bright, sweet tone that
has more of a soprano quality, rather than deep and profudo, like most
famous altos, but the truth is that the actual notes she is singing
are never very high and are sometimes quite low, making her an alto. I
read in an interview once that she said her range was two octaves, E
to E. I can tell you that if she were in the choir at my school, she
would sing second alto, because the soprano music always goes above E
at least once, and any of the alto music rarely goes below F, if ever.
Well, for those of you that really care about this and have actually
reached the bottom of this post, I congratulate you! :) I just had to
tell this to someone, because it was starting to bother me that people
think Lea (my goddess) is a soprano, and she isn't. E to E is NOT a
soprano's range.

However, I will compromise and come to the conclusion that she's a
lyric mezzo. :)

Nicky

Apr 2, 2002, 7:50:03 AM4/2/02
Hi Jason and welcome to the NG.

I think that you are comparing Lea's vocal range to what you hear and listen
to on recordings? I'm sure when Lea is in training and warming up she can
go pretty high. The King and I recording I'm quite sure was almost an F# 4
(Lord and Master), and to be in soprano range can be anything from C3 to G4,
so she's pretty much in the soprano range.

I think Lea has a wonderful range. Very lucky to have the range that she
does, but like everything else it comes with practice and Hard Work!

Nicky ox

Maih Jongs

Apr 2, 2002, 11:53:48 AM4/2/02
Well said Jason. Welcome to the group!!!! We need
more people in this dying newsgroup.
xzur

Lea Salonga

Apr 2, 2002, 2:29:19 PM4/2/02
In message dated 4/2/02 5:45 AM, in article
dc911d44.02040...@posting.google.com, "Jason Qualls"
<jasw...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> However, I will compromise and come to the conclusion that she's a
> lyric mezzo. :)

My voice teacher classified me as a lyric soprano. I just shrugged my
shoulders and said, "okay, whatever you say." I'd probably say more "mezzo"
because of the notes, or even "alto". I like being an "alto"... going
deeper into my range instead of going higher is, for me, much more fun.

JazzSinger22

Apr 3, 2002, 3:17:44 AM4/3/02
ill give my two cents on this, since I do like knowing high notes and whatnot.

Lea has reached a G above high C in the KING AND I soundtrack, but she still
falls under the contralto section. However, lea has not actually tried songs to
showcase her high notes, not that it matter. But I do have to agree that her
low notes are WONDERFUL.

There are not that many pop singers that can reach a G above C. Very few can
sing it.

However, I am always amazed that a lot of singers dont consider their head
voice as part of their natural range. They consider this their operatic voice,
which is still your range.

Side note:

Regine can squeek an F.
Barbra Streisand can belt a high B. so does Joan Sutherland. You should hear
Streisand sing Operatic arias that were never released but copies of them float
online. I think they closed the site where I got it from.

Question to lea:

what do you think of Regine Velasquez and other filipino singers in our
country today?
How do you compare yourself to them?
what is it that you like or dislike about their voices? and what is it that you
like and dislike about your voice? If you were to emulate a singer, who would
it be and why?

PS: I love your voice. Hope you sing more theater songs. Your voice works well
when there is drama involved, when you play a character.

JSG03JD

Apr 3, 2002, 10:13:10 AM4/3/02
The quality of a person's voice has more to do with being classified as a
tenor, alto, baritone, bass, mezzo, or soprano than the person's vocal range.
For instance, voice teachers of young singers easily classify their pupils as
lyric sopranos or lyric tenors due to the light, flexible quality of their
young voices even though they cannot quite sing the stratospheric notes (just
yet).

Having said that, I do believe Ms. Salonga to be a lyric soprano because of the
nimble and light qualities of her voice (in contrast, a dark toned voice is the
voice of someone like Kiri Te Kanawa or in musical theater, someone like Isay
Alvarez, the original Gigi in MISS SAIGON). Evidence of Ms. Salonga's lyric
soprano qualities may be heard in recordings where Ms. Salonga actually
utilizes her upper register, e.g. PASKO NA SINTA KO in the CHRISTMAS ALBUM, and
MY LORD AND MASTER in THE KING AND I (where Ms. Salonga floats to an F#).

And as far as I know, Ms. Salonga has sung up to either a B-flat or B-natural
in the TOYOTA commercial she did a few years back. I myself was excited at this
because I believe that if Ms. Salonga used this part of her voice more, she
would be able to perform a broader range of theatrical roles. Nonetheless, I
enjoy and appreciate her singing in whatever vocal range she's most comfortable
in, be it in the alto or mezzo soprano range. It's her voice quality and her
use of vibrato that truly excite me.

Just my two cents. BTW, Ms. Salonga, I've always been curious, did you
transpose the score to MY FAIR LADY to a lower key when you did it at Rep, or
did you sing the original Julie Andrews key? Thanks.

Pattie Boyd

Apr 3, 2002, 2:09:47 PM4/3/02

> Just my two cents. BTW, Ms. Salonga, I've always been curious, did you
> transpose the score to MY FAIR LADY to a lower key when you did it at Rep, or
> did you sing the original Julie Andrews key? Thanks.

Similary, "I'd Give My Life for You" is also in a lower key than the
ones sung nowadays. Was that lowered to suit you, or...?

Lea Salonga

Apr 3, 2002, 2:34:11 PM4/3/02
In message dated 4/3/02 12:17 AM, in article
20020403031744...@mb-mp.aol.com, "JazzSinger22"
<jazzsi...@aol.com> wrote:

> what do you think of Regine Velasquez and other filipino singers in our
> country today?
> How do you compare yourself to them?
> what is it that you like or dislike about their voices? and what is it that
> you
> like and dislike about your voice? If you were to emulate a singer, who would
> it be and why?

I think our singers are the most talented in the world (I'm obviously
Pinoy-centric, but that's my right, heh heh heh). Everyone has their
strengths, and capitalizes on them.

I can't really compare one singer to another (including myself), because
we're all different, giving the audiences a variety of sounds from which to
choose. We're not all the same... in appearance or in vocal quality. You
go for what you like. I will also not list what I dislike about other
voices... it's way too subjective and question.

As for what I don't like about my voice... I couldn't strengthen the upper
part of my range some more... it's a little squeaky and weak right now.

Lea Salonga

Apr 3, 2002, 2:34:13 PM4/3/02
In message dated 4/3/02 7:13 AM, in article
20020403101310...@mb-cu.aol.com, "JSG03JD" <jsg...@aol.com>
wrote:

> Just my two cents. BTW, Ms. Salonga, I've always been curious, did you
> transpose the score to MY FAIR LADY to a lower key when you did it at Rep, or
> did you sing the original Julie Andrews key? Thanks.

Only one song was transposed... "Show Me". Everything else was left as is,
I think.

Lea Salonga

Apr 3, 2002, 2:35:11 PM4/3/02
In message dated 4/3/02 11:09 AM, in article
7d26ee84.02040...@posting.google.com, "Pattie Boyd"
<patti...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Similary, "I'd Give My Life for You" is also in a lower key than the
> ones sung nowadays. Was that lowered to suit you, or...?

It's never been lowered. It's always been where it is. To change its key
would affect the ensemble at the end of the song, so it never moves.

From Saigon, the one thing that has changed key was the "Do you want one
more tale of a Vietnam girl". That was brought down one full step. Too
tough to sing that 8 shows a week (brought down to 5... 6 on Broadway).

Nicky

Apr 3, 2002, 2:44:34 PM4/3/02

| From Saigon, the one thing that has changed key was the "Do you want one
more tale of a Vietnam girl". That was brought down one full step. Too
tough to sing that 8 shows a week (brought down to 5... 6 on Broadway).

Am I to understand correctly that "Engineer, Thuy's Dead" was transposed up?
Comparing cast recordings it now sounds a perfect 5th up? I could be wrong?

Nicky xx

Lea Salonga

Apr 3, 2002, 2:48:03 PM4/3/02
In message dated 4/3/02 11:44 AM, in article
a8fm38$ro4uo$1...@ID-127059.news.dfncis.de, "Nicky"
<nicola.t...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Am I to understand correctly that "Engineer, Thuy's Dead" was transposed up?
> Comparing cast recordings it now sounds a perfect 5th up? I could be wrong?

If I remember right, I was just told to sing it an octave up, but they might
have moved parts of "If You Want To Die In Bed" down just before it, hence
the change.

Nicky

Apr 3, 2002, 3:39:59 PM4/3/02

| If I remember right, I was just told to sing it an octave up, but they
might have moved parts of "If You Want To Die In Bed" down just before it,
hence the change.

Bummer!

Nicky xx

Pattie Boyd

Apr 3, 2002, 6:19:21 PM4/3/02
Lea,

Correct me if I'm wrong. I could very well might be because I can't
read music for nuts. It's just, my voice teacher told me that the key
for "I'd Give My Life For You" is lower than that in the CSR.

Hmmm....

Tin Samson

Apr 3, 2002, 11:58:12 PM4/3/02

> I think our singers are the most talented in the world (I'm obviously
> Pinoy-centric, but that's my right, heh heh heh).

That's one of the reasons I'm proud to be Filipino! Especially because of
you, Lea!!!

Tintin =)

Tin Samson

Apr 3, 2002, 11:59:46 PM4/3/02
Lea Salonga <BigS...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> From Saigon, the one thing that has changed key was the "Do you want one
> more tale of a Vietnam girl". That was brought down one full step. Too
> tough to sing that 8 shows a week (brought down to 5... 6 on Broadway).

Oh, I remember that time when I was asking you about this and you were
explaining it, but then I was getting confused. =) But then you cleared it
up for me right away.

Tintin =)

Alex R. Cohen

Apr 4, 2002, 12:23:00 AM4/4/02
"Lea Salonga" <BigS...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> As for what I don't like about my voice... I couldn't strengthen the upper
> part of my range some more... it's a little squeaky and weak right now.

Do you mean you tried to strengthen it and failed? How did that come to
pass?

--
ALEX R. COHEN
"The greatest memorial to heroes, and perhaps the only worthy one, is the

Let music swell the breeze
And ring from all the trees
Sweet freedom's song!
Let mortal tongues awake
Let all that breathe partake
Let rocks their silence break
The sound prolong!
- "America"

Vigilentia pretiam libertatis.

Lea Salonga

Apr 4, 2002, 3:56:54 AM4/4/02
In message dated 4/3/02 9:23 PM, in article
UqRq8.14792$nt1.1...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net, "Alex R. Cohen"
<a...@thefreestudent.com> wrote:

> Do you mean you tried to strengthen it and failed? How did that come to
> pass?

My voice teacher had me singing arias. It did strengthen my upper register,
and also indirectly strengthened my belt and mix. I can't say that I
failed... but I don't exactly have a strong falsetto. Not the strongest
anyway.

JazzSinger22

Apr 4, 2002, 4:14:12 AM4/4/02
While I do agree that music is subjective to a degree, that people have varying
taste in music, I still believe that there are people who have better voices
than others.

As for filipinos being the most talented singers, that I have to disagree. But
we are all entitled to our opinion. I think there are a lot of talented
filipino singers, but I have heard more talented singers here in the states
than what we currently have in our country.

We have many copy-cat singers - singers who tend to pattern their vocal style
according to the latest fad or the one considered the current DIVA. One example
is Regine Velasquez. She has an incredible voice but sometimes bury her voice
and songs she sing with excessive trills and shrills, although that does not
stop me from purchasing her albums. Lani Misalucha suffers from the same excess
and need to please the crowd by copying every conceivable diva in existence.
What happened to originality. Plus, and this is my greatest peeve I have with
filipino singers now is that they all SHOUT. I mean SHOUT or SQUEEK! Shouting
is okay as long as its done in moderation.

We come to Lea Salonga! I have to admit that I could be biased here when it
comes to lea salonga. I do agree with your earlier statement with your high
notes being thin.
But by far you are the most controlled singer we have in the country, which can
be seen as either an advantage or the opposite, depending on how you view
singing.

Its an advantage because you dont botch the darn tootin songs to death with
superfluous trills and whatnot, but could be a disadvantage because you might
be viewed as less adventurous a singer and more reluctant to invest emotion to
a song, which could explain why your songs tend to have the same tone,
especially your studio albums, with the exception of your live albums and the
christmas album.
Regardless, I still consider you to have a purer, more entrancing voice than
the people mentioned above. Example of this is PASKO NA SINTA KO! My gosh! It
gives me chills. the tagalog songs in the SONGS FROM THE SCREEN. you should do
more of those kind of music.

The other thing I noticed with your voice is that you tend to hide the enormity
(immensity) of your singing voice in favor of the sweet, kid voice you often
use when singing pop songs. Your voice sounds absolutely enthrallingl when you
utilize the full capacity of your voice.

ok, its past 1 in the morning and I still have to write my paper in
metamathematics.

Dale

Apr 4, 2002, 4:46:55 AM4/4/02
On 04 Apr 2002 09:14:12 GMT, jazzsi...@aol.com (JazzSinger22) wrote:

>ok, its past 1 in the morning and I still have to write my paper in
>metamathematics.

What is that, if I may ask? You go beyond numbers or something?

Dale

Mimay

Apr 4, 2002, 8:38:20 AM4/4/02

Tin Samson wrote in message ...

me too!! hehehe =) I just loooove Filipino singers ;-)

*Mimay*

claude

Apr 4, 2002, 10:41:56 AM4/4/02
Lea Salonga <BigS...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<B8D1554E.1116%BigS...@sbcglobal.net>...

I love Lea's singing voice...it is very, very, very soothing and
melodious. Lea, what kind of vocal exercise do you do? Also, how do
you maintain your singing voice? How do you take care of it? Is it
true that being in smoky bars and alcohol intake are bad for one's
vocal health?

the Brat Prince

Apr 4, 2002, 11:50:27 AM4/4/02
Lea Salonga <BigS...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<B8D1554E.1116%BigS...@sbcglobal.net>...

--> Are you doing exercises to strengthen your falsetto, or are you
now focused in improving your lower range? Is falsetto officially
included in one's range?

the Brat Prince

Lea Salonga

Apr 4, 2002, 2:04:11 PM4/4/02
In message dated 4/4/02 7:41 AM, in article
6a699052.02040...@posting.google.com, "claude"
<gare_st...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Lea, what kind of vocal exercise do you do? Also, how do
> you maintain your singing voice? How do you take care of it? Is it
> true that being in smoky bars and alcohol intake are bad for one's
> vocal health?

I don't like smoky bars (hurts my eyes as well as my throat... plus I don't
really like the smell of cigarettes) and I don't drink a whole lot (there
are very few drinks I actually like). As for exercises, I can't describe
them... but I do know that they seem to have an effect on my mix and belt.

Lea Salonga

Apr 4, 2002, 2:04:32 PM4/4/02
In message dated 4/4/02 8:50 AM, in article
ea7c16c9.0204...@posting.google.com, "the Brat Prince"
<bonge...@eudoramail.com> wrote:

> --> Are you doing exercises to strengthen your falsetto, or are you
> now focused in improving your lower range? Is falsetto officially
> included in one's range?

A falsetto is included, and that extends the range even more.

My lower register is automatically just there. I need to warm up the higher
register. My voice seems to be naturally pretty low.

Mich

Apr 4, 2002, 3:36:38 PM4/4/02
jazzsi...@aol.com (JazzSinger22) wrote in message news:<20020404041412...@mb-ca.aol.com>...

> We have many copy-cat singers -

Very true not to mention movies. hehe

>Plus, and this is my greatest peeve I have with
> filipino singers now is that they all SHOUT. I mean SHOUT or SQUEEK! Shouting
> is okay as long as its done in moderation.

I especially cannot stand Regine V.'s shouting. Otherwise, she's ok.

> But by far you are the most controlled singer we have in the country

Hey, you dragged the words right out of my mouth. That's what I think
of her singing, too, as very controlled in a good way. But almost too
controlled you'd think she has some kind of mini sound system
implanted her throat. haha

> Its an advantage because you dont botch the darn tootin songs to death with
> superfluous trills and whatnot,

Yeah, I hate when singers kill songs then ya can't enjoy them as much.

>the tagalog songs in the SONGS FROM THE SCREEN. you should do
> more of those kind of music.

I do hope Lea's next OPM album in the works will be just that. Lovely
Tagalog ballads.

>Your voice sounds absolutely enthrallingl when you
> utilize the full capacity of your voice.

Yeah, especially when Lea sang "On My Own" in the LM 10th anniversary
concert or any of her concert albums for that matter. Those give me
chills.

~Mich~

MJ Tam

Apr 4, 2002, 11:53:55 PM4/4/02

> I don't like smoky bars (hurts my eyes as well as my throat... plus I
don't
> really like the smell of cigarettes) and I don't drink a whole lot (there
> are very few drinks I actually like). As for exercises, I can't describe
> them... but I do know that they seem to have an effect on my mix and belt.

Then you must love LA since all their bars are prohibits smoking... (at
least I thought they are).

And what kind of alcoholic beverages do you prefer?

:c)MJ

Scooby

Apr 5, 2002, 12:19:22 AM4/5/02
In article <B8D1E381.113F%BigS...@sbcglobal.net>, Lea Salonga says...

Well, the smoky bar thangs been taken care of in California, so now you
can focus on drinking-yippee.

Exercise usually has an effect on the belt ;)

Scoo

=)

teas...@yahoo.com

Lea Salonga

Apr 5, 2002, 2:46:19 AM4/5/02
In message dated 4/4/02 8:53 PM, in article
a8jbg8$scj51$1...@ID-83372.news.dfncis.de, "MJ Tam" <mj...@tamwebsite.com>
wrote:

> And what kind of alcoholic beverages do you prefer?

I like a nice glass of wine (white zin preferred), or an amaretto sour.

JazzSinger22

Apr 5, 2002, 3:47:11 AM4/5/02
metamath is typically a foundational axiomatic system for mathematics that
takes numbers or sets or some combination as its subject matter. This subject
is essential for pure mathematician like myself who deals with theories and
such. The most basic purpose of the subject is to explain why symbols and
theorems in mathematics exist.

Ok, hope this helps!

Lea: what arias did you sing? I might have sung them as well.

MECHHELO

Apr 5, 2002, 8:34:59 AM4/5/02
see dale when you ask questions like that...now we really dont know what it
is.......hahaha

bruce

claude

Apr 5, 2002, 9:49:58 AM4/5/02
Lea Salonga <BigS...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<B8D1E381.113F%BigS...@sbcglobal.net>...

> I don't like smoky bars (hurts my eyes as well as my throat... plus I don't
> really like the smell of cigarettes) and I don't drink a whole lot (there
> are very few drinks I actually like). As for exercises, I can't describe
> them... but I do know that they seem to have an effect on my mix and belt.

i love a good and fine bottle of either french or california red wine,
esp. merlot...hahahahaha...(lush!)... i wish they would also prohibit
smoking in new york city bars but maybe that's just wishful
thinking...anyway, what kind of drinks do you like? also, do you
vocalize everyday? what else do you do for fun? have a great weekend,
Lea!

Scooby

Apr 5, 2002, 11:05:20 AM4/5/02
In article <B8D29648.1168%BigS...@sbcglobal.net>, Lea Salonga says...

oooh, amaretto sour, yuuummmm...

Scoo

=)

teas...@yahoo.com

Alex R. Cohen

Apr 5, 2002, 1:43:05 PM4/5/02
"JazzSinger22" <jazzsi...@aol.com> wrote in message

> metamath is typically a foundational axiomatic system for mathematics that
> takes numbers or sets or some combination as its subject matter. This
subject
> is essential for pure mathematician like myself who deals with theories
and
> such. The most basic purpose of the subject is to explain why symbols and
> theorems in mathematics exist.

I take it you're a student. What degree are you pursuing, and at what
university?

Lea Salonga

Apr 5, 2002, 2:40:04 PM4/5/02
In message dated 4/5/02 12:47 AM, in article
20020405034711...@mb-ft.aol.com, "JazzSinger22"
<jazzsi...@aol.com> wrote:

> Lea: what arias did you sing? I might have sung them as well.

I can't remember their names, unfortunately. I think one was by Mozart.

Lea Salonga

Apr 5, 2002, 2:40:05 PM4/5/02
In message dated 4/5/02 6:49 AM, in article
<gare_st...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> anyway, what kind of drinks do you like? also, do you
> vocalize everyday? what else do you do for fun?

A good amaretto sour is always a fun drink... and I do try to sing everyday
to keep my chops alive.

For fun, I like eating with friends, going to electronics stores to browse,
knitting, and video games.

Nicky

Apr 5, 2002, 3:00:33 PM4/5/02
| I can't remember their names, unfortunately. I think one was by Mozart.

I always believed you had good choice!

Nicky xx

Ecci Colina

Apr 5, 2002, 7:47:09 PM4/5/02

> In message dated 4/5/02 6:49 AM, in article

> For fun, I like eating with friends, going to electronics stores to

browse,
> knitting, and video games.

Lea, just wanna ask... were you able to bring the crochet book with you?
Are you using it now? Thanks!

Ecci :)

Lea Salonga

Apr 5, 2002, 8:50:22 PM4/5/02
In message dated 4/5/02 4:47 PM, in article
a8lj76$t3jub$1...@ID-127515.news.dfncis.de, "Ecci Colina" <ecc...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Lea, just wanna ask... were you able to bring the crochet book with you?
> Are you using it now? Thanks!

No, hence, no.

Dale

Apr 6, 2002, 3:22:16 AM4/6/02
On 05 Apr 2002 13:34:59 GMT, mech...@aol.com (MECHHELO) wrote:

>see dale when you ask questions like that...now we really dont know what it
>is.......hahaha

Yeah, I was hoping it was simply a laxative for mathematicians.

Dale

Thanks for the explanation anyway, JazzSinger- I think I came
close to almost getting it :)

Dale

Apr 6, 2002, 7:02:36 AM4/6/02
On 05 Apr 2002 08:47:11 GMT, jazzsi...@aol.com (JazzSinger22) wrote:

>metamath is typically a foundational axiomatic system for mathematics that
>takes numbers or sets or some combination as its subject matter. This subject
>is essential for pure mathematician like myself who deals with theories and
>such. The most basic purpose of the subject is to explain why symbols and
>theorems in mathematics exist.

So, it's kinda a philosophy thing? Are there different schools of thought on
the subject? You said it's "essential" for pure mathematicians. Why is this-
does it help to liberate your thinking so you are able to "think outside the
box" or something?

>Ok, hope this helps!

It's sure made my brain hurt :) Just kidding!!

Dale

JazzSinger22

Apr 6, 2002, 8:52:21 AM4/6/02
Lea, that is rather unconventional for you to start singing mozart, especially
considering that you are a lyric soprano. Many of Mozart's arias are for
coloratura sopranos.

In any case, I am the biggest fan of mozart here. I have most of his music, but
I also love everything that's classical, baroque, romatic, neoclassical or even
early rennaisance, not to mention jazz and musicals. (Sorry to sort of brag - i
just love MUSIC - hope you all understand)

to arcstudent,

I am a PHd student in pure mathematics, but I dabble in applied mathematics
from time to time. Am also interested in music and film. I attend nightly
lectures at a local college after my regular school and work. Just submitted my
application to get my second degree in physics to make myself more marketable.
Pure mathematicians are not exactly in demand these days as they were during
the early years of the cold war. As for my school, its considered number one in
my field of study.

hope this answer your question.

to dale,

Dale, I believe that they do take this class but a variant of sorts, not the
exact class that I am taking since this is for pure math students. I think they
usually take semantics, logic and metamath. (its just one class, the title is
long, I Know)

ok, enough about me! mahirap sumagot pag kulang sa tulog! nagmumukha na akong
OWL sa puyat!

To lea,

I know you love streisand, and I love that woman. I actually had the chance to
watch her last concert in LA almost two years ago. Ang Galing! Now, Im just
waiting to see you perform live. I almost did when you had your last run in New
York, but was caught up with work so I was not fortunate enough to see you
perform live in miss saigon. bwisit no! Anyway, god bless to you and to all.

Alas sais na ng umaga dito sa california at gising pa ako! I better buy
pandesal and drink tea! MORNING!

Steve

Apr 6, 2002, 9:15:44 AM4/6/02
How 'bout looking at men?..........Thats always one of my
favorites!...........Love going to Home Depot and looking at real men!

Tin Samson

Apr 6, 2002, 10:26:27 AM4/6/02

> ok, enough about me! mahirap sumagot pag kulang sa tulog! nagmumukha na
akong
> OWL sa puyat!

"Pinoy ka pala eh!" (I didn't know you were Filipino!) Welcome to the
group! =) But please try not to make anyone feel left out by speaking in
Filipino without translations. For the others, JazzSinger said that it's
hard to answer or reply when you lack sleep. He says he's looking like an
owl already from always sleeping late.

> Alas sais na ng umaga dito sa california at gising pa ako!

It's 6 AM already here in California, and I'm still awake!

Hehe, another insomniac? =)

Have fun here!

Tintin =)

Nicky

Apr 6, 2002, 10:23:10 AM4/6/02

| Lea, that is rather unconventional for you to start singing mozart,
especially considering that you are a lyric soprano. Many of Mozart's arias
are for coloratura sopranos.

|In any case, I am the biggest fan of mozart here.

NO YOU ARE NOT!

If you are a true Mozart partisan then you would know [that no] not all
arias or cantatas are written for coloratura sopranos. Naming 'Voi che
sapete' and 'Soave sia il vento' as famous examples.

I have written music papers on Mozart, partiuclarly on Mozart's vocal music.
I understand your concept that [yes] Mozart did favour sopranos and the
music that which he wrote for them were exclusively to help extend their
vocal agility. But not all Mozart arias (and I'm mainly quoting Mass
settings) are written like "The Queen of the Night".

I am a choral soprano. I have a good range, but not to the extent of
singing Queen of the Night, but I can sing many arias from Mozart's vocal
reproitoire. In fact when I sing Mozart I often have to worry about the
huge leaps down the octaves which is a famous trait of his!

But I urge you not to go on bragging that you are "the biggest fan of Mozart
here".... You have BIG competition!

Scooby

Apr 6, 2002, 4:22:01 PM4/6/02
In article <a8n3lg$tccg3$4...@ID-128375.news.dfncis.de>, Tin Samson says...

Thanks for the translation Tin!

Most of the time I don't really care if I don't know what's
being said (I figure it's something simple...'have a nice day'
or what not) but my interest was peaked by California being in
the middle of it.

Yet another gorgeous day, here, in California-weeeeee

Scoob

=)

teas...@yahoo.com

JazzSinger22

Apr 6, 2002, 4:30:51 PM4/6/02
tinpooh, thanks for the welcome!
I just got up, and yes, I am one of those people who can't sleep when I need to
sleep. I need to push myself to exhaustion before I can fall asleep.

As for the other mozart fan, I am aware that Mozart had written music for
different sopranos and other voices, but he is essentially a classical composer
- although some think of him as an early romantic composer - and trills in
vocal music often come with the territory, but I do agree that he had written
music for other voices.

When I said I am the biggest fan of mozart, only in the context of having most
of his music. Like yourself, I study and breathe mozart on a daily basis and
pay my homage to the great maestro every year during his birthday. I collect
anything that is mozart, from film to music sheets. In addition to that, I have
been to his hometown and his house in salzburg to see where he lived. I have
all of his symphonies, complete piano concertos, complete string quartets,
complete string quintets, complete piano sonatas, complete string trios,
complete concert arias, 12 of his operas, complete suites, complete masses,
complete chorale and cantatas, complete violin sonatas, complete violin
concertos, complete wind concertos and several versions of his requiem, not to
mention his rarities. Also, most of them have double copies, if not all. I also
have books about mozart and music sheets.
I have tickets to see the DIRECTORS cut of AMADEUS this april.

I am a dramatic tenor, though not really trained. I have a strong,stentorian
falsetto and can reach the highest note sang in THINK OF ME, maybe higher.

Dale

Apr 7, 2002, 7:00:52 AM4/7/02
On Sat, 06 Apr 2002 09:15:44 -0500, Steve <Blu...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>How 'bout looking at men?..........Thats always one of my
>favorites!...........Love going to Home Depot and looking at real men!

Real men don't shop at Home Depot.

Dale

Nicky

Apr 7, 2002, 9:46:06 AM4/7/02
Hi

Welcome to AFLS!

Most importantly I'm glad that you are a big Mozart fan. Obviously we have a
lot in common and I'm hoping we can exchange interesting information
regarding the great Maestro himself!

I envy you immensely going to Salzburg. A place I have always wanted to
visit since I was a little girl. I also want to travel to Linz and attend
some Bruckner festivals. I hear they are quite good! Thing is, I am a
w/chair user and I have been advised not to go because of the stairs of the
Mozart museum and because of the many access problems to many parts of
Austria. Still, my grandmother visited Salzburg last year and was able to
video cam the important Mozart bits!

Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Nicky xx

Wow your collection is big, I'm almost there! Still missing some important
string quartets though...!

JazzSinger22

Apr 7, 2002, 1:39:38 PM4/7/02
there is a mozart festival here in northern california that I am hoping to
attend as soon as time permits, which I hope would be soon for I cannot wait
another minute to hear the divine music of Mozart. As for my collection, I am
still in the process of getting second copies of all of my cds, just in case
the first set gets scratched accidently.

again, thanks for the warm welcome!
what music of mozart are you missing?
I usually get the the complete series of his music, but often buy a single-cd
collection if the review is good.

by the way, barbra streisand did sing MOZART's concert arias, and she was a
competent soprano, to my great surprise. i think it is called popoli di
tessaglia...io non chiedo. Her high notes are thin compared to Sutherlands high
notes, but it was thrilling nonetheless.
(im a streisand, sutherland fanatic as well)

aside from mozart, do you listen to anything else. I love beethoven and bach,
actually all of them. You would love my music collection. I have so many
complete collections you would go nuts. I am currently been listening to
bruckers fifth symphony - its long - and lots of jazz lately, from ella to
sarah to brubeck!

ill write more when i get some sleep! I just got back from church!

again, thanks for the welcome!

morning to all:

how old is everyone here and where from?
any information you are willing to give is welcome! thanks...

Nicky

Apr 7, 2002, 2:28:33 PM4/7/02

| there is a mozart festival here in northern california that I am hoping to
attend as soon as time permits, which I hope would be soon for I cannot wait
another minute to hear the divine music of Mozart. As for my collection, I
am still in the process of getting second copies of all of my cds, just in
case the first set gets scratched accidently.

May I suggest insuring such precious things!

| again, thanks for the warm welcome! what music of mozart are you missing?

Like yourself I am trying to find complete box sets (good editions). I have
a CD list which I tick off my complete Kochel listings. Basically when I
buy music I tick it off against the Kochel list. I have all symphonies,
concertos of many instruments. I am a wind player (clarinet) and I do love
Mozart's chamber music. Most of all I am an Opera Buff and I love all the
Masses/Vespers.

| aside from mozart, do you listen to anything else.

My degree was in music so I am familiar with most styles. I do have a
particular interest in German and Verismo Opera. Composers such as Chenier
and Zaza. I love Renaissance Chanson French music. I like most composers,
Beethoven, Stravinsky and Wagner in particular. I like a little Jazz...
particular Bebop, not overly fussed on Vocal or West Coast Jazz. Oh, I also
like to take a close interest in Music and Animation, Carl S. and Scott B
scores are class. I also love film scores too. Being an Opera enthusiast I
got to love musicals and our Lea here. And that is basically me!

I think I would love your music collection. Have you read "Mozart's
Letters, Mozart's Life" by Robert Speathling? Closest we will ever get to
hear Mozart speak! Good book! Inbetween reading "The Lord of the Rings"
trilogy I'm enjoying "Mozart's Greatest Operas" by Dover.

I'm Nicky and I'm from Northern Ireland btw. A long way away from the
sunshine of California.

Nicky xx

Roderick270

Apr 7, 2002, 5:44:03 PM4/7/02
>On Sat, 06 Apr 2002 09:15:44 -0500, Steve <Blu...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>>How 'bout looking at men?..........Thats always one of my
>>favorites!...........Love going to Home Depot and looking at real men!

i don't know about that if they're really real men. one of them actually hit
on me. LOL. oh well i guess that's real.

Ricky
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I cannot accept,
and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had
to kill today because they pissed me off.

Crissy Terawaki

Apr 9, 2002, 5:52:07 AM4/9/02
In article <ul90bu4nalh2rqhf3...@4ax.com>, Dale <d...@oz.net>
wrote:

Real men shop at ESPN Zone. :o)

Crissy =)

--
"He thinks I have an eating disorder. And a fear of rectangles."
- Josh Lyman (Bradley Whitford), "The West Wing"

(BTW, send all e-mail to crissy-at-nualumni-dot-com)

Chloie Cherrylane

Apr 9, 2002, 7:00:37 AM4/9/02
"Mimay" <mim...@edsamail.com.ph> wrote in message news:<a8hmpd$sg3gu$1...@ID-127024.news.dfncis.de>...

> me too!! hehehe =) I just loooove Filipino singers ;-)
>
> *Mimay*

i'm proud of LEA...she made us proud!!!

about Filipino singers, would you believe when my friend went to
Singapore, the man was proud to promote their shows saying, "We have a
Filipino band" not knowing that my friend is also a Filipino...that's
flattering =)

who else among you have heard a Filipino singer aside from Lea? Billy
Crawford is a Filipino too...he sang Pokemon's theme song...they said
he's Mandy Moore's ex-bf.

---chloie

Dale

Apr 9, 2002, 7:31:15 AM4/9/02
On Mon, 08 Apr 2002 23:52:07 -1000, crispyt...@yahoo.com (Crissy Terawaki) wrote:

>> Real men don't shop at Home Depot.
>
>Real men shop at ESPN Zone. :o)

Yeah, but only because they like the way those athlete's butts
look in their uniforms.

Dale

Even better if they scratch alot.

the Brat Prince

Apr 10, 2002, 4:49:29 AM4/10/02
> We have many copy-cat singers - singers who tend to pattern their vocal style
> according to the latest fad or the one considered the current DIVA. One example
> is Regine Velasquez. She has an incredible voice but sometimes bury her voice
> and songs she sing with excessive trills and shrills, although that does not
> stop me from purchasing her albums. Lani Misalucha suffers from the same excess
> and need to please the crowd by copying every conceivable diva in existence.
> What happened to originality. Plus, and this is my greatest peeve I have with
> filipino singers now is that they all SHOUT. I mean SHOUT or SQUEEK! Shouting
> is okay as long as its done in moderation.

--> True!

> We come to Lea Salonga! I have to admit that I could be biased here when it
> comes to Lea salonga. I do agree with your earlier statement with your high
> notes being thin.
> But by far you are the most controlled singer we have in the country, which can
> be seen as either an advantage or the opposite, depending on how you view
> singing.

--> It's also a plus that she's an actor. She puts emotions into the
song, and elicits an emotional connection to the audience. As opposed
to singers who SHOUT and SHOUT and SHOUT... I saw SOP last Sunday.
Regine sang Palasyo (which is a very beautiful song). But she seemed
so absent. Her eyes had this blank stare like she's not there at all.

the Brat Prince

Alex R. Cohen

Apr 10, 2002, 11:34:48 PM4/10/02

> how old is everyone here and where from?

23, from NYC, in Phila. for law school.

> any information you are willing to give is welcome! thanks...

Um. . . I did the Mozart Requiem in my college choir?

Ogster

Apr 11, 2002, 1:48:10 AM4/11/02
chlo...@hotmail.com (Chloie Cherrylane) wrote in message

> about Filipino singers, would you believe when my friend went to
> Singapore, the man was proud to promote their shows saying, "We have a
> Filipino band" not knowing that my friend is also a Filipino...that's
> flattering =)

hi chloie, yup that's right... i'm living here in singapore for the
past year or so and to tell you frankly, all top music joints here
should feature "pinoy" bands in order to attract a big audience! 'coz,
we're sooooo talented! =)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

~Ogster~

Mimay

Apr 12, 2002, 12:24:55 PM4/12/02

the Brat Prince wrote in message ...

>--> It's also a plus that she's an actor. She puts emotions into the
>song, and elicits an emotional connection to the audience. As opposed
>to singers who SHOUT and SHOUT and SHOUT... I saw SOP last Sunday.
>Regine sang Palasyo (which is a very beautiful song). But she seemed
>so absent. Her eyes had this blank stare like she's not there at all.

It's "Dadalhin", and not "Palasyo" =)

*Mimay*

Roizel...@yahoo.com.au

Nov 28, 2014, 12:33:04 AM11/28/14
I just want to express my opinion. Are you sure na yung voice ng mga student sa choir nyo sa school ay modal at hindi falsetto para umabot ng mahigit ng two octaves? Kase as far as I can remember, yung two octaves na yon ay ang kanyang modal voice at hindi pa kasali sa range na yun ang head voice o ang kanyang falsetto. Yun lang :)

bodour...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2015, 3:26:15 PM9/16/15
Hi, i dont know what this group is however i love the discussion that is going on here. I participated in a production of Les Miserable over the summer where i got cast as Cosette even though i am an alto or a mezzo soprano at best. I could hit most of the notes that Cosette originally hits but not all of them. What range does that make me?

Mich

Oct 14, 2015, 4:12:38 PM10/14/15
Hello there! You've stumbled upon the alt.fan.lea-salonga newsgroup. This is an open, public forum in which active members pretty much talk about anything under the sun, but most of the time we try to keep the discussions on topic, that is, about Lea Salonga related material. Don't know who Lea Salonga is? Check this out: http://www.leasalonga.com/

As for your question, I'm not a music expert, so I may not be able to help you much. I did find these pieces of information found below from another forum posted by Orestes Fasting on musicals.net:

"I believe Cosette's highest note is actually a C at the end of One Day More, which is the same as her C at the end of Every Day. The note at the end of AHFOL is either a B or a B flat IIRC."

And from http://choirly.com/whats-my-voice-type/

"A typical soprano can vocalize B3 to C6, though a soprano coloratura can sing a lot higher than that reaching F6, G6 etc. At this point I would like to debunk a myth. It is widely thought that the higher a singer can sing, the better the singer is. This couldn't be further from the truth as range is defined by our physique and size of the vocal cords, not not how professional we are."

Hope these help answer your question. :-D

~Mich~

Eunice Ocampo

Aug 31, 2022, 3:26:08 AM8/31/22
On Tuesday, April 2, 2002 at 6:45:17 PM UTC+8, Jason Qualls wrote:
> Hi, I'm Jason, I've never posted here before, but I found this and
> thought it looked interesting. Okay, I've long been a fan of Lea
> Salonga, and something about the public opinion of her voice bothers
> me, so I'm going to rant. I just got the "Les Mis- Dream Cast" video
> in the mail last week. I noticed, "Wow, her voice is really low." Wow.
> So I dug up my Miss Saigon cast recording and listened to it, and sure
> enough: She is an alto. In the song "Please," she goes down to an E,
> which is fairly low even for an alto. And in "I'd Give My Life For
> You," she goes up to a D, IN the staff, and you can tell it's starting
> to reach the top of her range. A D is not very high, for MOSTLY all
> sopranos. I know this topic has been discussed time and time again (I
> skimmed previous posts on here), but every time it is, everyone seems
> to come to the conclusion that she is a "lyric soprano." She just
> isn't. She's a lyric mezzo-soprano at the highest. I won't stretch it
> and say that she's a lyric contralto, but she definitely comes close.
> The thing is that when she sings, she has a bright, sweet tone that
> has more of a soprano quality, rather than deep and profudo, like most
> famous altos, but the truth is that the actual notes she is singing
> are never very high and are sometimes quite low, making her an alto. I
> read in an interview once that she said her range was two octaves, E
> to E. I can tell you that if she were in the choir at my school, she
> would sing second alto, because the soprano music always goes above E
> at least once, and any of the alto music rarely goes below F, if ever.
> Well, for those of you that really care about this and have actually
> reached the bottom of this post, I congratulate you! :) I just had to
> tell this to someone, because it was starting to bother me that people
> think Lea (my goddess) is a soprano, and she isn't. E to E is NOT a
> soprano's range.
> However, I will compromise and come to the conclusion that she's a
> lyric mezzo. :)
This is so fun to read years later. Wow. Reddit before reddit!

Gregory C

Aug 31, 2023, 8:10:04 AM8/31/23
I just brought this back up on a whim to see if there was any new activity... good times!