John Sommers Web Site

Debelan

Aug 7, 2001, 10:36:09 PM8/7/01
Hi, all.

Just wanted to reiterate that John Sommers' new website is up and running. As
many of you know, JS penned a few of the great songs that appeared on John
Denver's albums. Among them, that most appealing "Thank God I'm a Country
Boy". Sommers was a part of JD's band from 1974 thru 1978. Check out his
website: www. johnsommersmusic.com

Click here: John Sommers

Your friend, Dee

allth...@ftc-i.net

Aug 7, 2001, 11:28:28 PM8/7/01
Thanks for the info, Dee. Will check it out.

Best,
Dot

Ladron23

Aug 8, 2001, 12:33:07 AM8/8/01
Hi there Dee!!
Thank's for the website information on John Sommers and Twirp Anderson. Just
checked it out, the pictures are really great, and the article about them both
tells their story of great individuals, and entertainers!!!! I will be sure and
take the time to get to it again soon!!!

City slicker!!!!!!

Wendy

LiteofVega

Aug 8, 2001, 10:32:20 AM8/8/01
Thank you, Dee. I have bookmarked this website - it looks like an excellent
one!

Mary in Oklahoma

MKR

Aug 8, 2001, 11:47:12 AM8/8/01
Uh-oh... HIWAY! DON"T READ THIS!!! lol!

MKR

"Debelan" <deb...@aol.com> wrote in message

Christine Moon

Aug 8, 2001, 3:21:08 PM8/8/01
Don't forget JS also wrote "In The Grand Way" - I just love the way JD sang
that! Mollie Weaver does a fantastic job with it, too.

--
Peace,
Christine

Ladron23

Aug 8, 2001, 3:57:19 PM8/8/01
Yes,
That is a most beautiful and heartfelt song,
Christine.

I love Thank God I'm A Country Boy, for more than one reason. It is just a pure
song embracing the simple and down to earth way of living. This country was
made great by generations of families that have toiled hard to work the land,
and raise vegetables, fruits, and animals that many in our fast- pased society
these days, surely take for granted.

A wonderful man that lived down the street from our home for many years, ran a
produce company with his brothers here in Portland. He passed away in 1990, but
in all the years that we enjoyed his company, as a neighbor, we watched with
great respect, how he cared for and loved his gardens, and the care that he
lavished upon them. Each year, he gave my Dad tomatoe starts from his
greenhouse, corn seed, especially selected and very pricy,
and he gave lots of advice on how to care for them all. I see a lot of that in
my Dad as he tends his garden, and all of his land.

Where would our country be without people being great stewards for the land
and environment? And being grateful for living and working the land?

John certainly always seemed to me to enjoy singing Thank God I'm A Country
Boy.

Just my opinion,
Wendy

edoran

Aug 8, 2001, 9:40:03 PM8/8/01
I think "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" is my LEAST favorite JD song. I was
very pleased to learn, when I started researching John's life for myself,
that he did NOT write it. The main reason is that most people think of it
first when they think of John Denver -- but JD's own songs are far more
complex, gentle, pathos-driven. I know that TGICB is supposed to be a
light-hearted homage to good, simple country life -- and that is how I
myself understand it -- but for most people it pegs John as, well, a hick.
I feel the same about "Grandma's Feather Bed."

I would love to hear others chime in on this!

Ladron23 <ladr...@aol.com> wrote in message

Absolutely Cynthia Marie

Aug 9, 2001, 3:56:06 AM8/9/01
"edoran" <deutsc...@edoran.net> wrote in message news:<TRlc7.1939$Ah1.2...@typhoon1.gnilink.net>...

> I think "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" is my LEAST favorite JD song. I was
> very pleased to learn, when I started researching John's life for myself,
> that he did NOT write it. The main reason is that most people think of it
> first when they think of John Denver -- but JD's own songs are far more
> complex, gentle, pathos-driven. I know that TGICB is supposed to be a
> light-hearted homage to good, simple country life -- and that is how I
> myself understand it -- but for most people it pegs John as, well, a hick.
> I feel the same about "Grandma's Feather Bed."
>
> I would love to hear others chime in on this!

I love TGICB and GFB! But then again, I'm biased. These are songs
I've loved ever since I was really little. They sound so familiar to
me. I feel the same way about "Sunshine on My Shoulders". I don't
know why others here dislike it.

I'm sorry if people think John was a hick. When I see videos of John
performing those songs, I just see him being cute and funny.

Cynthia Marie

BHoehn123

Aug 9, 2001, 7:15:42 AM8/9/01
John Sommers website is such a nice place to visit.

I don't think John Sommers played with John till 1978. I not sure though I'm
just going by some of the bits and pieces of stuff I have in my collection.....

I know he definitely played with John Denver up to 1976 he toured that year
with John Denver and The Starland Vocal Band.

He may have toured part of 1977 I'm not sure. I have a video of a concert in
1977 that they recorded in Australia....and he had a new band there....and 1978
he had acquired alot of Elvis's band after Elvis passed away......

I guess we will have to wait and see John Sommers story when he puts the
biography on his website.

The one thing for sure he made his mark with the Song "Thank God I'm A Country
Boy"

Barbara

Pamela Beasley

Aug 9, 2001, 2:11:15 AM8/9/01
Well, I happen to like both of these songs. They both have personal
meanings for me, esp. Grandma's Feather Bed.

Pam

Christine Moon

Aug 9, 2001, 2:43:35 PM8/9/01
"Grandma's Feather Bed" makes me squirm with embarrassment, and as you say
it gives the "unitiated" an inaccurate picture of John. Like he's a country
hick chewing on a straw. I used to feel the same about "Thank God I'm A
Country Boy", and I still wouldn't include it in any recommendations to
people unaware of the full range of John's work. However, since hearing
the version on the "Unplugged Collection", I have to admit his enthusism is
infectious!

--
Peace,
Christine

BHoehn123

Aug 10, 2001, 4:24:29 PM8/10/01
I think the only version of Grandma's Feather Bed I probably enjoyed was when
he sang it with the muppets on the muppet show. I think sometimes I cringed
when he sang that song, mostly because The Aunt Lou story usually went along
with the song......Although I always laughed at the story, telling it for over
25 years was just a tiny bit tooooooo much.

I think the only proper place for "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" is in the 7th
inning stretch of any baseball game.....at least that where I enjoyed that song
the most.

Barbara

Kristine Weber

Jun 22, 2021, 10:38:20 PM6/22/21
I just listened to "In The Grand Way" again after not hearing it for a long time... suddenly it reminded me of a song from Sting - Had to look that up, but it was "Little Wing", which was actually his cover of a song written and released by Jimi Hendrix in Dec. 1967. The first 2 bars are nearly identical. I'm wondering if a credit for inspiration is due to Mr. Hendrix, at the very least? Considering John released "In The Grand Way" in 1976.
-Kristi
sunwo...@hotmail.com