How You Know You're Getting Old, Part LXVII

1 view

Jay Furr

Jan 26, 2009, 7:49:34 PM1/26/09
You spent all day cooped up in tiny little regional jets flying from
one end of the country to the other and when you finally emerge from
the little tin can full of recycled air and other people's miasma you
feel like DEATH. Stuffy, congested, achy, miserable, logy, stupid.
Sort of what it must be like to be Beano Cook, only more so.

Sweet Jeebus, but it's getting harder and harder to cope with all-day
flying. As soon as I get another hour or so of work-related email and
stuff done I'm going to go sit in the bathroom with the shower on FULL
MAX STEAM and just wait for the evil to be purged out of me. God, I
feel rotten.

winnard

Jan 26, 2009, 7:54:29 PM1/26/09

"Jay Furr" <jf...@furrs.org> wrote in message

They should allow smoking on planes again, at least you got a nicotine
buzz to blame it one.
I am so old, I actually remember people smoking on planes.

winnard

Dan S.

Jan 26, 2009, 7:56:46 PM1/26/09
winnard, if I was in the mood, I'd turn the lights down low and reply
with soft music, but you'll have to accept this instead::

Y, yes, yes you are. But, so am I. Sad. Very sad.

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Jay Furr

Jan 26, 2009, 8:04:50 PM1/26/09

I didn't fly much until I was 29. Before that, it was only for hasty
trips down to Florida for funerals and a couple of vacations. My
family firmly believed in the pile-the-kids-in-the-car-and-drive-three-
thousand-miles style of vacation.

By the time I had this job and was flying 50-60 times a year they'd
long since taken all the smokers away and had them put to work on
Oprah's penal island making tchotchkes.

xyzzy

Jan 26, 2009, 9:30:40 PM1/26/09

Regional jets suck for long flights. But because of them, you have
more flights to choose from. Pick yer poison.

Fly in a Saab 340 (which is what USAir used to serve Roanoke with) and
then get back to me.

Jay Furr

Jan 26, 2009, 9:37:19 PM1/26/09

I have. Many times. Ditto the DeHavilland Dash-8. Endless fun,
especially going over the White Mountains in winter.