100%

Jay Furr

Nov 21, 2008, 10:13:12 PM11/21/08
... my score on the Intercollegiate Studies Institute's annual civics quiz,
which I read about in a Cal Thomas opinion piece in today's paper.
Apparently the average American failed it miserably, and even Harvard
students got only 69%.

I said "Huh" and went off to the isi.org website, found the quiz, and got 33
of 33. My wife then took it and got 32 of 33 and was pleased to note that
the question she got wrong turned out to be the one that the fewest people
got right.

The quiz is here:

http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx

Apologies in advance if this is rsfcc. Been traveling and working too much
lately to keep up with rsfc.

Chris Bellomy

Nov 21, 2008, 10:37:14 PM11/21/08
Jay Furr wrote, On 11/21/08 9:13 PM:

> ... my score on the Intercollegiate Studies Institute's annual civics quiz,
> which I read about in a Cal Thomas opinion piece in today's paper.
> Apparently the average American failed it miserably, and even Harvard
> students got only 69%.
>
> I said "Huh" and went off to the isi.org website, found the quiz, and got 33
> of 33. My wife then took it and got 32 of 33 and was pleased to note that
> the question she got wrong turned out to be the one that the fewest people
> got right.
>
> The quiz is here:
>
> http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx

Boy, they lay the religion down pretty thick, don't they?

cb

Jay Furr

Nov 21, 2008, 10:52:06 PM11/21/08
Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote in

Yeah, a bit.

James Schrumpf

Nov 21, 2008, 10:03:55 PM11/21/08
Quiet, Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> -- I'm transmitting rage.

I got 30 out of 33. I argue with the answer of #33, but I don't want to say
why until everybody's had a chance to take the test. I think #30's up in the
air as well.

stephenj

Nov 21, 2008, 11:42:17 PM11/21/08

i got 100% too. hooray for both of us! :)

--
.. unless her great neighbors are prosperous
and orderly, Poland is an economic impossibility

- JM Keynes

stephenj

Nov 21, 2008, 11:43:20 PM11/21/08
James Schrumpf wrote:
> Quiet, Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> -- I'm transmitting rage.
>
>> Jay Furr wrote, On 11/21/08 9:13 PM:
>>> ... my score on the Intercollegiate Studies Institute's annual civics
>>> quiz, which I read about in a Cal Thomas opinion piece in today's
>>> paper. Apparently the average American failed it miserably, and even
>>> Harvard students got only 69%.
>>>
>>> I said "Huh" and went off to the isi.org website, found the quiz, and
>>> got 33 of 33. My wife then took it and got 32 of 33 and was pleased to
>>> note that the question she got wrong turned out to be the one that the
>>> fewest people got right.
>>>
>>> The quiz is here:
>>>
>>> http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx
>> Boy, they lay the religion down pretty thick, don't they?
>>
>> cb
>>

> I got 30 out of 33. I argue with the answer of #33,

yeah, i almost tripped on that one. for a moment i mixed 'debt' and
'deficit' but then thought better of it.

--
"I admit that there are good white men,
but they bear no proportion to the bad.

- Chief Pachgantschilias

David V. Loewe, Jr

Nov 22, 2008, 1:06:02 AM11/22/08

The wording on those is pretty fucked up.

31 of 33
--
"You don't win a war by dying for your country, you win a war by
making the other poor bastard die for his country."

Peach

Nov 22, 2008, 10:35:01 AM11/22/08
On Nov 21, 8:03 pm, James Schrumpf
>                http://www.usenet.com- Hide quoted text -

That's what I got...and I had to have help on some of the Constitution/
Bill of Rights/Amendment ones from my daughter. :-( Our school
sucked. I can't believe how *not* in depth our Civics class was in
high school, but then it was taught by the high school football coach.
Heh. Anna's 7th grade Civics class learned far more than I ever did.
Sad.

Peach

John Rogers

Nov 22, 2008, 11:17:45 AM11/22/08
You're not like the others, Peach <straw...@lpbroadband.net>... you
like the same things I do! Wax paper! Boiled football leather! Dog
breath!

31/33

I missed the one about the stupid Puritans and #33.

John Rogers
AU Class of 1985
The Al Del Greco of Atlanta

"Show me the man you honor, and I will know what kind of man you are,
for it shows me what your ideal of manhood is and what kind of man you
long to be." (Thomas Carlyle)

jimbr...@yahoo.com

Nov 22, 2008, 11:35:42 AM11/22/08

You answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %

Average score for this quiz during November: 77.9%
Average score: 77.9%

Eric Ramon

Nov 22, 2008, 11:46:44 AM11/22/08

29 of 33 for me....got the first 26 right, then tripped on some of the
economics questions.

Actually thought, when I clicked submit, that I'd be lucky if I got 25
out of 33 and wouldn't be too shocked if it came back 20.

Chagney Hunt

Nov 22, 2008, 12:42:16 PM11/22/08
On Nov 21, 10:13 pm, Jay Furr <jfurr-nos...@nospam-furrs.org> wrote:
> I said "Huh" and went off to the isi.org website, found the quiz, and got 33
> of 33.  My wife then took it and got 32 of 33 and was pleased to note that
> the question she got wrong turned out to be the one that the fewest people
> got right.

31/33...

I missed #7 and #33 (the supposed correct answer doesn't satisfy)

c. hoequist

Nov 22, 2008, 1:30:36 PM11/22/08
Jay Furr schrieb:

31 of 33. I found 33 and 13 dubious--no, I got 13 right, but I dispute
their interpretation of Plato.
The 69% you quote sounds odd (first-term freshmen?), since the site
reports the average online score for November as 77% correct, which
seems more plausible given the sort of people likely to taken such a
survey online, particularly if people aren't allowed to look things up
(who under 40 knows anything about the Cuban missile crisis?). I wonder
if their original survey population was skewed in some fashion. Taking
the average from their linked table
http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/2008/additional_finding.html
for all citizens is a little over 47%, which sounds a bit low for the
general population. Many too many people from Alabama answered?

It looks like the questions follow the SAT mantra: start easy, ramp up.
I noticed I was able to answer most of the early questions before
scrolling far enough to see the answers. So I started counting, and
found I got a correct answer on 20 of them before looking at the choices.

-c.h.
not believing I got the Bill of Rights order mixed up

jimbr...@yahoo.com

Nov 22, 2008, 1:43:23 PM11/22/08
On Nov 22, 12:30 pm, "c. hoequist" <choequ...@faulkner.edu> wrote:
> Jay Furr schrieb:
>

> > ... my score on the Intercollegiate Studies Institute's annual civics quiz,
> > which I read about in a Cal Thomas opinion piece in today's paper.
> > Apparently the average American failed it miserably, and even Harvard
> > students got only 69%.
>
> > I said "Huh" and went off to the isi.org website, found the quiz, and got 33
> > of 33.  My wife then took it and got 32 of 33 and was pleased to note that
> > the question she got wrong turned out to be the one that the fewest people
> > got right.
>
> > The quiz is here:
>
> >http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx
>
> > Apologies in advance if this is rsfcc.  Been traveling and working too much
> > lately to keep up with rsfc.
>
> 31 of 33. I found 33 and 13 dubious--no, I got 13 right, but I dispute
> their interpretation of Plato.
> The 69% you quote sounds odd (first-term freshmen?), since the site
> reports the average online score for November as 77% correct, which
> seems more plausible given the sort of people likely to taken such a
> survey online, particularly if people aren't allowed to look things up
> (who under 40 knows anything about the Cuban missile crisis?).

I wasnt around for the World Wars, but I know a fair bit about them.
(I wasnt around for the CMC either).

stephenj

Nov 22, 2008, 2:00:11 PM11/22/08

33 is a badly-worded question. too much ambiguity between option 1 and 4.

--
.. the profiteers are a consequence not
a cause of rising prices.

- JM Keynes

James Schrumpf

Nov 22, 2008, 3:01:38 PM11/22/08
Quiet, John Rogers <tige...@yahoo.com> -- I'm transmitting rage.

> You're not like the others, Peach <straw...@lpbroadband.net>... you
> like the same things I do! Wax paper! Boiled football leather! Dog
> breath!
>
>>On Nov 21, 8:03 pm, James Schrumpf
>><jaspammenotschru...@gmail.nospamnet> wrote:
>>> Quiet, Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> -- I'm transmitting rage.

>>> I got 30 out of 33.  I argue with the answer of #33, but I don't want
>>> to say why until everybody's had a chance to take the test.  I think
>>> #30's up in the air as well.
>>>
>>> --

>>> - James Schrumpf

>>>  http://www.hilltopper.net
>>>
>>> Let there be no doubt tonight -- no doubt!
>>> That they shouldn't have played the Old Gold and Blue.
>>> Not tonight!
>>>
>>>  Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
>>>                http://www.usenet.com- Hide quoted text -

>>That's what I got...and I had to have help on some of the Constitution/
>>Bill of Rights/Amendment ones from my daughter. :-( Our school
>>sucked. I can't believe how *not* in depth our Civics class was in
>>high school, but then it was taught by the high school football coach.
>>Heh. Anna's 7th grade Civics class learned far more than I ever did.
>>Sad.
>
> 31/33
>
> I missed the one about the stupid Puritans and #33.

Yeah, I think #33 has a bit of economic/ideologic bias in there.

Chris Bellomy

Nov 22, 2008, 4:10:36 PM11/22/08
James Schrumpf wrote, On 11/22/08 2:01 PM:

33 is purely a logic question. It has nothing to do with
economics or civics or anything. It's just pure logic.

cb

James Schrumpf

Nov 22, 2008, 3:17:24 PM11/22/08

>>> 31/33
>>>
>>> I missed the one about the stupid Puritans and #33.
>>
>> Yeah, I think #33 has a bit of economic/ideologic bias in there.
>
> 33 is purely a logic question. It has nothing to do with
> economics or civics or anything. It's just pure logic.
>
> cb

You're right. I meant #30.

Huck Kennedy

Nov 22, 2008, 4:33:26 PM11/22/08
On Nov 21, 8:13 pm, Jay Furr <jfurr-nos...@nospam-furrs.org> wrote:
> ... my score on the Intercollegiate Studies Institute's annual civics quiz,

It is just as much, if not even more, an economics theory test as
a civics test.

RK

Unclaimed Mysteries

Nov 22, 2008, 7:07:50 PM11/22/08

I missed #33 too. 32/33 is okay, I GUESS.

http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

"I'm glad you're okay, whatever that actually means in your case."
-Jagosaurus

Unclaimed Mysteries

Nov 22, 2008, 7:09:33 PM11/22/08

How? Just because a question is flawed doesn't mean it's some kind of
propaganda tool.

James Schrumpf

Nov 22, 2008, 10:15:20 PM11/22/08
Quiet, Unclaimed Mysteries
<theletter_k_and...@unclaimedmysteries.net> -- I'm
transmitting rage.

>>> 31/33
>>>
>>> I missed the one about the stupid Puritans and #33.
>>>

>> Yeah, I think #33 has a bit of economic/ideologic bias in there.
>
> How? Just because a question is flawed doesn't mean it's some kind of
> propaganda tool.

Well, I meant #30 anyway. I forgot the order.