New age to OLD age

Bob George

Dec 22, 2008, 5:24:11 PM12/22/08
Hi. I haven't posted to this group in many years. It wont take long to
catch up though.

I started listening to Jean Michel Jarre in 1981 after being
introduced to the music by a friend.
I loved Equinoxe part 5 the most at the time. It excited me and drew
my interest in creating my own electronic music (which I have been
doing since 1988) and in my opinion that track remains one of JMJ's
best grooves.

Something horrible happened a while ago though. I watched the Glasnost
DVD and realised I wasn't enjoying it because Jean Michel looks so
OLD. Watching somebody who had been my hero since my childhood (yeah,
i KNOW he's in his 60's) and coming to the sudden realisation that the
guy is getting on, brought home the even more disturbing fact that I
myself am also advancing in years at an ever more apparent rate. 40yrs
is just around the corner for me.

Strangely, watching the Oxygene anniversary performance made me happy
to be an old man, because all that classic analog equipment he
demonstrates in the DVD extras made me feel proud to be a vintage
model myself. I own a lot of recent "analog virtual modelling" synths
which, even though they do sort of recreate the feel and sound of a
proper classic pile of hot components in a wooden case, no pretender
can truely emulate an original master.

Not everybody has the room to store a huge pile of analog synths in
their garage, such as Mr Jarre has done - I tend to keep a car in mine
- so not all vintage instruments are as well preserved as these
examples, so a virtual modelling hardware synth or VSTi is much easier
to aquire and use. But looking at all JMJ's kilowatt munching array
really did make me feel that its not so bad being a product of the
early 70's myself.

Gotta go now. I cant type for long with this arthritis and my
cataracts *creak*

B.G