Green Label

Michael Lawrence Hoffman

Jan 24, 1994, 12:42:47 PM1/24/94
I was sitting here listening to Buffett and I was listening to "He went to
Paris". It occured to me that I have no idea what "Green Label" is.
I know that I posted this question a few months ago, but nobody came up with
a good answer. The best guess was a British Liquor, or Jack Daniels.
Last time I needed the answer before it got to cold in Indiana.
Well now it IS COLD. So someone please tell me what green label is
so I can drink it and imagine that I "live in the islands/fishing the pilons"
instead of freezing my ass off in W. Lafayette.
Thanks for the help in adavnce.
Eddini.
Michael L. Hoffman The Great Eddini

If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane... J. Buffett.

kenneth r lipka

Jan 24, 1994, 2:49:33 PM1/24/94

In article <CK5AJ...@noose.ecn.purdue.edu>, mhof...@ecn.purdue.edu (Michael Lawrence Hoffman) writes:
> I was sitting here listening to Buffett and I was listening to "He went to
> Paris". It occured to me that I have no idea what "Green Label" is.
> I know that I posted this question a few months ago, but nobody came up with
> a good answer. The best guess was a British Liquor, or Jack Daniels.
> Last time I needed the answer before it got to cold in Indiana.
> Well now it IS COLD. So someone please tell me what green label is
> so I can drink it and imagine that I "live in the islands/fishing the pilons"
> instead of freezing my ass off in W. Lafayette.

This discussion has occurred before, but it has been a while.

I believe the final decision was that "Green Label" refers to the
"Green Label Jack Daniels". I don't remember the distinction between the Green
Label and regular JD.

________)
( / Ken Lipka
__/_) fer...@engin.umich.edu
( / Graduate Student - Mechanical Engineering
(__/ University of Michigan: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Carolyn Anderson

Jan 24, 1994, 5:08:11 PM1/24/94

Michael Lawrence Hoffman <mhof...@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:
>I was sitting here listening to Buffett and I was listening to "He went to
>Paris". It occured to me that I have no idea what "Green Label" is.
>I know that I posted this question a few months ago, but nobody came up with
>a good answer. The best guess was a British Liquor, or Jack Daniels.

Well, I had always been told, by a parrothead elder (my brother), that
Green Label was a kind of scotch. However, a few Coconut Telegraph
issues ago reference was made to Jimmy "wiping away the foam from his
Green Label" (or words to that effect) which would imply that
Green Label was a kind of beer.

This is not conclusive, by any means, but it is the strongest evidence
I have seen/heard.

Carolyn

Mark Thomson

Jan 24, 1994, 5:32:19 PM1/24/94
In article <2i18od...@srvr1.engin.umich.edu> fer...@zinc.engin.umich.edu (kenneth r lipka) writes:

>In article <CK5AJ...@noose.ecn.purdue.edu>, mhof...@ecn.purdue.edu (Michael Lawrence Hoffman) writes:
>> I was sitting here listening to Buffett and I was listening to "He went to
>> Paris". It occured to me that I have no idea what "Green Label" is.
>> I know that I posted this question a few months ago, but nobody came up with
>> a good answer. The best guess was a British Liquor, or Jack Daniels.
>> Last time I needed the answer before it got to cold in Indiana.
>> Well now it IS COLD. So someone please tell me what green label is
>> so I can drink it and imagine that I "live in the islands/fishing the pilons"
>> instead of freezing my ass off in W. Lafayette.
>
> This discussion has occurred before, but it has been a while.
>
> I believe the final decision was that "Green Label" refers to the
>"Green Label Jack Daniels". I don't remember the distinction between the Green
>Label and regular JD.

It may not have been the final conclusion but I always thought it
was "Usher's" scotch which calls itself green label I think.

> ________)
> ( / Ken Lipka
> __/_) fer...@engin.umich.edu
> ( / Graduate Student - Mechanical Engineering
> (__/ University of Michigan: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Mark Thomson _
Dept. of Chemistry \\_
Colorado State University | \_
Fort Collins, CO 80523 \ \_
tho...@lamar.colostate.edu | \_
_ __ __ __ __ __ \ \_ __ __ __ __
\__\ \__\ \__\ \__\ \__\ \____|________\___\ \__\ \__\ \__\ \__

Let me show you what my love can do,
Out on the ocean all alone with you.
We'll find a desert island or an ancient shark.
JB, "Knees of my heart"

Tassach MacTearlach

Jan 25, 1994, 11:54:28 AM1/25/94

kenneth r lipka <fer...@zinc.engin.umich.edu> wrote:

>In article <CK5AJ...@noose.ecn.purdue.edu>, mhof...@ecn.purdue.edu (Michael Lawrence Hoffman) writes:
>> I was sitting here listening to Buffett and I was listening to "He went to
>> Paris". It occured to me that I have no idea what "Green Label" is.
>> I know that I posted this question a few months ago, but nobody came up with
>> a good answer. The best guess was a British Liquor, or Jack Daniels.
>> Last time I needed the answer before it got to cold in Indiana.
>> Well now it IS COLD. So someone please tell me what green label is
>> so I can drink it and imagine that I "live in the islands/fishing the pilons"
>> instead of freezing my ass off in W. Lafayette.
>
> This discussion has occurred before, but it has been a while.
>
> I believe the final decision was that "Green Label" refers to the
>"Green Label Jack Daniels". I don't remember the distinction between the Green
>Label and regular JD.

Alchohol content, length of aging, and price. Black label packs more punch,
is aged longer (and is therefore smoother) and costs a bit more; but is well
worth the extra couple of bucks. Life's too short to drink cheap booze or
to dance with ugly women (or men, depending on your preferances)
--
Amiga /// "Yield to temptation; it may not pass void school(double money){
/// your way again" - Robert A. Heinlein while (!graduated()){

Raymond Luxury Yacht

Jan 26, 1994, 12:23:24 AM1/26/94
In article <1994Jan24.223219.33469@yuma> tho...@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Mark Thomson) writes:

>>In article <CK5AJ...@noose.ecn.purdue.edu>, mhof...@ecn.purdue.edu (Michael Lawrence Hoffman) writes:
>>> I was sitting here listening to Buffett and I was listening to "He went to
>>> Paris". It occured to me that I have no idea what "Green Label" is.
>>> I know that I posted this question a few months ago, but nobody came up with
>>> a good answer. The best guess was a British Liquor, or Jack Daniels.
>>> Last time I needed the answer before it got to cold in Indiana.
>>> Well now it IS COLD. So someone please tell me what green label is
>>> so I can drink it and imagine that I "live in the islands/fishing the pilons"
>>> instead of freezing my ass off in W. Lafayette.
>>
>> This discussion has occurred before, but it has been a while.
>>
>> I believe the final decision was that "Green Label" refers to the
>>"Green Label Jack Daniels". I don't remember the distinction between the Green
>>Label and regular JD.
>>
> It may not have been the final conclusion but I always thought it
> was "Usher's" scotch which calls itself green label I think.

I've watched this 'green label' discussion with great interest over the past
few months. Apparently, most of us think of green label as being the Jack
Daniels product. However, this never sat well with me - if I lived in the
islands, fished on the pilings, etc the last thing I would want to drink
daily in the hot sun would be bourbon (just my personal preference). It
would be a cold beer I think.

BTW the scotch whisky yoe are talking about is Usher's green STRIPE not
green label! Someone with Delphi access should settle this once and for
all - I understand Bubba's wife (and very occasionally the man himself)
checks in on the JB newsgroup there. Please post this question there, who
knows you may come in contact with THE SOURCE!

Rod
Discussing who caught what
and who sat on his butt,
cause it's the only game in Maritime Canada at 35 below!

Joel Pike

Jan 26, 1994, 8:03:42 AM1/26/94

Although I gave it up 15 years ago , as I recall There is Black Jack Daniels
and Green Label Jack Daniels , differing in how long they were aged. Black
Jack being age longer. - See you 'round - jp

Phillip A Yecko

Jan 27, 1994, 1:21:15 PM1/27/94
In article <znr759...@dwbbs.nlbbs.com>,

Not to drag this out further, but...
I have always thought that "green label" was a generic
term for beer - like "brew" or "suds" or...whatever -
with implications of it being a good beer, in a bottle.

Am I from Mars? Is this a fabrication from my
childhood or subconscious that doesnt exist outside
my skull?

Plus, if I were HE who went to Paris - Id be drinkin beer
at 86, no doubt!

Thats my vote -

PhilY

"...where the rum is fine any time of year..."

Dan FitzGerald

Jan 27, 1994, 3:12:29 PM1/27/94
In article <CK5AJ...@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> mhof...@ecn.purdue.edu (Michael Lawrence Hoffman) writes:
>From: mhof...@ecn.purdue.edu (Michael Lawrence Hoffman)
>Subject: Green Label
>Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 17:42:47 GMT

William L. Newman

Jan 28, 1994, 10:24:17 AM1/28/94
In article <macbai...@nbnet.nb.ca> macb...@nbnet.nb.ca (Raymond Luxury Yacht) writes:

In article <1994Jan24.223219.33469@yuma> tho...@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Mark Thomson) writes:

<<stuff deleted>>

I've watched this 'green label' discussion with great interest over the past
few months. Apparently, most of us think of green label as being the Jack
Daniels product. However, this never sat well with me - if I lived in the
islands, fished on the pilings, etc the last thing I would want to drink
daily in the hot sun would be bourbon (just my personal preference). It

^^^^^^^

would be a cold beer I think.

BTW the scotch whisky yoe are talking about is Usher's green STRIPE not
green label! Someone with Delphi access should settle this once and for
all - I understand Bubba's wife (and very occasionally the man himself)
checks in on the JB newsgroup there. Please post this question there, who
knows you may come in contact with THE SOURCE!

Rod
Discussing who caught what
and who sat on his butt,
cause it's the only game in Maritime Canada at 35 below!

Nit-picking mode on:

Jack Daniels is not bourbon, it's whiskey (with the 'e'; Scotch whisky does
without the 'e'). All bourbon comes from the great state of Kentucky, from
which I proudly hail. JD, fine product though it is, is made in Lynchburg
Tennessee.

Nits off.

Sean Obrien

Jan 28, 1994, 3:43:55 PM1/28/94

: >
: >
: > In article <CK5AJ...@noose.ecn.purdue.edu>, mhof...@ecn.purdue.edu (Michael

Here is my thought. When I was in St John this past summer the locals
drank 'greenies' . If you arder a greenie you order a heiniken. This
would put more emphasis on the beer theory.

Sean O'Brien
sob...@netcom.com
Infrared Electrical Inspections Nationwide

Rick Emerson

Jan 28, 1994, 10:13:00 PM1/28/94
PA> In article <znr759...@dwbbs.nlbbs.com>,
PA> Joel Pike <joel...@dwbbs.nlbbs.com> wrote:
PA> >In article <2i18od...@srvr1.engin.umich.edu> fer...@zinc.engin.umich.
PA> writes:
PA>
PA> Not to drag this out further, but...
PA> I have always thought that "green label" was a generic
PA> term for beer - like "brew" or "suds" or...whatever -
PA> with implications of it being a good beer, in a bottle.
PA>
PA> Am I from Mars? Is this a fabrication from my
PA> childhood or subconscious that doesnt exist outside
PA> my skull?
PA>
PA> Plus, if I were HE who went to Paris - Id be drinkin beer
PA> at 86, no doubt!
PA>
PA> Thats my vote -
PA>
PA> PhilY
PA>
PA> "...where the rum is fine any time of year..."

Phil, I vote for a beer, too. I keep hoping someone who's been to
"St. Somewhere" will say, "'green label?' No problem, mon, it's a
[name here] beer." I may have to go charter there to find out! <g>

Rick

* ATP/Linux 1.42 * This message will soon become a major motion picture.

Mike Wallace

Jan 30, 1994, 9:21:40 PM1/30/94
Rod...

>> BTW the scotch whisky yoe are talking about is Usher's green STRIPE not
green label! Someone with Delphi access should settle this once and for
all - I understand Bubba's wife (and very occasionally the man himself)
checks in on the JB newsgroup there. Please post this question there, who

knows you may come in contact with THE SOURCE!

Rod....
Bubba did check into Prodigy a couple times while a bunch of us
frequented a Forum there devoted to Him. And His daughter maintained an
account on Prodigy for awhile. His wife doesn't care too much for our cyber
world. As of yet he has not checked into Delphi, but he does have a couple
of employees that are regulars in our forum there. BTW, it is Custom Forum
40, is any of you parrotheads are interested in joinin' us. Tell 'em that
Soggy invited you over. The best group of folks in the world can be found
there!

Mike aka Soggy

greg....@gmail.com

May 30, 2015, 8:45:29 AM5/30/15
I always thought he was referring to Green Label Chartreuse. A French Liqueur made by Carthusean Monks since 1737. It's 55% and said to be the elixir of life. There is a milder Yellow version at 40% that has saffron in it.

aam9...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2016, 6:04:09 PM3/18/16
Why doesn't somebody just ask Jimmy what the heck he meant. My vote would be for,Heineken beer.

amdi...@adr.ca

Sep 23, 2016, 11:34:15 PM9/23/16
On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 6:04:09 PM UTC-4, aam9...@gmail.com wrote:
> Why doesn't somebody just ask Jimmy what the heck he meant. My vote would be for,Heineken beer.

Haiving spent 50 + years "down island" I can tell you

The beer that is ubiquitous in the Caribbean and the world with a "GREEN LABEL" is Heineken. If you are way down island, my favourite with a green label is Hairun lager.

Also I am not sure why anyone cares where it is 5 ockloc as down island i was brought up on elevnzies.

billmar...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2018, 5:57:18 PM11/1/18

billmar...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2018, 6:02:26 PM11/1/18
There was a green label beer in the pacific islands. That would be in the eighties. I'm getting on but I remember it. I do not recall the origin but figured it was a local (Pacific) brew. Nice though. It was referred to as a "green label". I always imagine Buffet's song ending in the Pacific not the Caribbean, like me.

denni...@swcp.com

Nov 26, 2018, 4:35:16 PM11/26/18
I have a bottle of Cadenhead's Green Label Jamaican Rum Aged 10 years.

lwilc...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2020, 5:40:32 PM3/2/20
I believe green label refers to tuborg beer as it is refered to in miss you so badly and is labeled green on the bottle