Who is Anita Bryan?

gt9...@prism.gatech.edu

May 23, 1994, 12:06:26 PM5/23/94
I would like to include a brief description of Anita Bryan (from the song
Manana) in my faq. I haven't a clue who she is, but I do hope that she
never does a Jimmy Buffett song.

Anyway, if someone could send me some info. on her I would appreciate it.

Also, if anyone knows whether or not Jimmy every paid the mini-mart back I
would be interested in hearing the story (be creative) :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
W. Jarrett Campbell (The Twelve-Volt Man) gt9...@prism.gatech.edu

Phil Abashian

May 23, 1994, 1:45:45 PM5/23/94
In article <9405231606.AA07124@prism> gt9...@prism.gatech.edu writes:
>From: gt9...@prism.gatech.edu
>Subject: Who is Anita Bryan?
>Date: 23 May 1994 11:06:26 -0500

This is a joke right?? You're refering to Anita Bryant of feminist fame.

-- Phil

Bruce Gilbert

May 23, 1994, 2:27:14 PM5/23/94
In article <9405231606.AA07124@prism>, gt9...@prism.gatech.edu writes:
> I would like to include a brief description of Anita Bryan (from the song
> Manana) in my faq. I haven't a clue who she is, but I do hope that she
> never does a Jimmy Buffett song.
>
> Anyway, if someone could send me some info. on her I would appreciate it.

Anita Bryant was, in the 1970s, a middle-aged shill for Florida orange
juice. She came out with some anti-gay remarks that caused quite a
furor at the time; many people threatened to boycott Fla. OJ, so,
if I recall correctly, she was dropped as a spokesperson.

(So, nowadays, Rush Limbaugh is one of their spokespeople; we sure
have come a long ways, haven't we?)

> Also, if anyone knows whether or not Jimmy every paid the mini-mart back I
> would be interested in hearing the story (be creative) :)

Even after he got rich,
He never paid the mini-mart back,
No, Sir! No, Sir!

--
Bruce Gilbert Internet: BG7...@ACAD.DRAKE.EDU
"God save us from a state where everyone goes around imitating lawyers."

Russell Barnett

May 23, 1994, 1:44:02 PM5/23/94
In article <9405231606.AA07124@prism>, gt9...@prism.gatech.edu writes:
>I would like to include a brief description of Anita Bryan (from the song
>Manana) in my faq. I haven't a clue who she is, but I do hope that she
>never does a Jimmy Buffett song>

Anita Bryan was a former Miss America (circa 1957+) who later released several
"unforgetable" recording in the 1960's (I'm pretty sure she did a cover of "Let
the Sun SHine In"). Anyway Anita went on to pitch Orange* Juice for the
Florida Citrus Council....but alas, she made some VERY unpleasant remarks
deprecating homosexuals, and after much outcry and boycottes was given the
boot. She has not been heard from much since.....She has, however been replace
as chief Juice-Hawker by Rush Limbaugh. The more things change, the more they
stay the same!

*"ORANGE" is the only word in the English language that rhymes with no other.

"The lights of St. Thomas are twenty miles West,
I see General Electric's still doin' their best"
--J.B.

Steve Parker(scm)

May 23, 1994, 6:36:10 PM5/23/94
In article q...@pith.uoregon.edu, rbar...@oregon.uoregon.edu (Russell Barnett) writes:
>In article <9405231606.AA07124@prism>, gt9...@prism.gatech.edu writes:
>
>*"ORANGE" is the only word in the English language that rhymes with no other.

What about "Purple"???

---

Steve Parker Internet : Steven...@stortek.com

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Bill Watterson

John Jaworski

May 23, 1994, 9:41:23 PM5/23/94
If no-one else has told you:
Anita Bryant is a homophobic Bitch. She had a few hits, some beauty queen
fame, but gained a lot of publicity by being a homophobic Bitch!
Dig yourself,
Misplaced Pirate

Dave Wiesenhahn

May 23, 1994, 4:18:37 PM5/23/94
In article <9405231606.AA07124@prism>, gt9...@prism.gatech.edu wrote:

> Also, if anyone knows whether or not Jimmy every paid the mini-mart back I
> would be interested in hearing the story (be creative) :)

At a concert in San Diego (the 1981 (?) solo concert, I think), he talked
about this. He said something to the effect that, after seeing how much
they charge for a 'big gulp,' there's no way he was going to pay them back.

> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> W. Jarrett Campbell (The Twelve-Volt Man) gt9...@prism.gatech.edu

--
Dave Wiesenhahn | There's a highway of stars across the heavens
IDA | There's a whispering song of the wind in the grass
| Johnny Clegg via J.B.

William Tobias Gibson

May 23, 1994, 2:04:38 PM5/23/94
Its Anita Bryant. She is a nobody. Actually she is a former Miss Oklahoma
(1958) and second runner up for Miss America. (no one posed nude so she
didn't get the crown. She was born in Tulsa Oklahoma, March 25, 1940. Her
first national TV apperance was on the Authur Godfrey Show. In 1959 she
signed with Carlton Records and released her first hit that summer "til there
was you" Originally from the Music Man. In 1960 she married Miami disc jockey
Bob Green. She has since sperated from her husband. She was a spokesperson
for Florida Orange juice and had a lot of negative things to say about
Gays around the time of Manana's release.

other songs she did.
Six Boys and Seven girls. (sounds interesting but probably wasn't if anita sang
Promise Me a Rose
Paper Roses (the only one I've heard.)
A Texan & A girl From Mexico.
I can't do It By Myself (She probably can now, seeing that she's seperated!)
The World of Lonely people.

Okay that's probably more than anyone ever wanted to know about Anita Bryant.
I'm sure it was the anti-gay stuff that Jimmy jumped on her for. I don't think
he has anything to worry about. A Lot of the Florida orange growers were
also pissed becuase she seemed to use their connection as a jump off
point for her moral beliefs
--
toby....@uic.edu <cyberparrotthead>

We're all just players in a game and no one's keeping score
(love and Luck)

Jeff Jackson

May 23, 1994, 7:50:12 PM5/23/94

> Anita Bryant was, in the 1970s, a middle-aged shill for Florida orange
> juice. She came out with some anti-gay remarks that caused quite a
> furor at the time; many people threatened to boycott Fla. OJ, so,
> if I recall correctly, she was dropped as a spokesperson.

From what I remember, it was more than "some anti-gay remarks". She lead a
rather large (and nasty!) drive to either defeat or repeal a
anti-gay discrimination proposal in Dade County.... I don't remember the
results.

(It does seem that the Florida Citrus Commission has unusual tastes in
selecting their spokespeople!)

Jeff

stl...@delphi.com

May 24, 1994, 3:28:19 AM5/24/94
<gt9...@prism.gatech.edu> writes:

>I would like to include a brief description of Anita Bryan (from the song
>Manana) in my faq. I haven't a clue who she is, but I do hope that she
>never does a Jimmy Buffett song.

Anita Bryant is a former Miss America/FL Orange Juice spokeswoman who Jimmy is
quoted as refering to as "the homophobic bitch from hell". She has a few
vocally expressed hang-ups.

STLinda....any more questions?

Phillip Jacobs

May 24, 1994, 8:44:28 AM5/24/94
In article 5...@stortek.com, ste...@beeblebrox.stortek.com (Steve Parker(scm)) writes:
>In article q...@pith.uoregon.edu, rbar...@oregon.uoregon.edu (Russell Barnett) writes:
>>In article <9405231606.AA07124@prism>, gt9...@prism.gatech.edu writes:
>>
>>*"ORANGE" is the only word in the English language that rhymes with no other.
>
>What about "Purple"???

What else, but "BURPLE" courtesy of Ray Stevens...

>---

>Steve Parker Internet : Steven...@stortek.com
>
>"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
>elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
>
> - Bill Watterson

---
I speak ONLY for myself, not my employer, not my school, not my wife, not
my children and especially not my dog.

Phil Jacobs (513) 865-7743
Mead Data Central In a hundred years Delivery Architecure
P.O. Box 933 This all won't matter! ph...@meaddata.com
Dayton, Ohio 45401 -jimmy buffett- ...!uunet!meaddata!phil
pja...@valhalla.cs.wright.edu

William Tobias Gibson

May 24, 1994, 8:56:00 AM5/24/94
In regards to paying the mini-mart back. He bought the sucker so now he steals
from himself. He later resells the stuff to a fence and donates the money to
the Save the Manatee Foundation. A regular modern day Robin Hood.

france

May 24, 1994, 5:13:27 AM5/24/94

Beside making some unpopular homophobic remarks, she was the
spokesperson for a campaign in the 70s to pass a Dade County law
forbidding homosexuals from holding several "public service/role model"
type jobs - teachers, coachs in particular. It gained a lot of national
attention as one of the first "religious right" overt political
campaigns - a bit of a precursor to the Moral Majority, Pat Robertson,
and the nationwide push by "born-againers" to fill local school boards
with creationists and the like...

Mes deux centimes...

Marty in Toulouse, France

"But warm summer breezes..."

todd barnhart

May 24, 1994, 4:20:33 PM5/24/94
wasn't anita one of the 'stars' brought to lansing, mich, to improve local
morale in the wonderful movie 'roger and me'? i think it was her and bob
'the newlyweds game' eubank--who came off as one of the all-time assholes.
it would be worth renting that video again even if she wasn't in it.

todd barnhart

May 24, 1994, 4:23:01 PM5/24/94
In article <CqA1G...@stortek.com>, ste...@beeblebrox.stortek.com (Steve

Parker(scm)) wrote:

> In article q...@pith.uoregon.edu, rbar...@oregon.uoregon.edu (Russell Barnett) writes:
> >In article <9405231606.AA07124@prism>, gt9...@prism.gatech.edu writes:
> >
> >*"ORANGE" is the only word in the English language that rhymes with no other.
>
> What about "Purple"???

wrong, amigo:

roses are red
violets are purple
sugar is sweet
and so's maple slurple.

Brian L. King

May 24, 1994, 4:45:27 PM5/24/94
(Steve Parker(scm)) writes:

> >*"ORANGE" is the only word in the English language that rhymes with
no other.

> What about "Purple"???

"Roses are red,
violets are purple.
Sugar is sweet,
and so's maple surple"
-Roger Miller, "Dang Me"

-blk :-)

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
_
,.( )
( )., Brian L. King
( ( ) ) Intel Corporation. Hillsboro, OR
( __(______) (503) 696-5751
( ( ( ( ) ))))
((_(__(__)_) )) b...@redneck.intel.com
( ( ( ) ) ))
(_(__(__)_) )) RELAX,
( ( ( ) )))) DON'T WORRY,
(_(__(__)_) HAVE A HOMEBREW.

/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| All opinions expressed here are my own and in no way endorsed by |
| Intel Corporation. That being said, LET'S RODEO!!!!! |
\-------------------------------------------------------------------------/

PAMELA CANTRELL

May 24, 1994, 4:24:43 PM5/24/94
Just listening to Fruitcakes and trying a new sigfile.

Pam Cantrell \ Surrounded by stories surreal and sublime
pam...@nevada.edu \ I fell in love in the library once upon a time
--parrothead in drydock \ --Buffett & McAnally

William Tobias Gibson

May 24, 1994, 9:30:03 PM5/24/94
This is politically incorrect
.
.
.
do
not
read
any
further
if
you
are
politically
sensitive
Oh I'm sorry this is the Buffett group. I forgot were not living in the pea
brained past. if you wish to flame for this limerick go ahead but don't
clutter the newsgroup with it thanks
a rhyme for orange

There once was a...

There once was a vicker form Orange
Whose prick was a regrettable poor inch
With the girls he'd had
He'd alway done bad
So he streched his poor tool with a floor wench

Purple is another story..but this one should generate more than enough flames.
hey I told you not to read it! :-)

Rod Nunley

May 25, 1994, 3:31:00 PM5/25/94
Jarrett Campbell wrote in:

@SUBJECT:Who is Anita Bryan?
@FROM :gt9...@prism.gatech.edu
@MSGID :<9405231606.AA07124@prism>

GT>Also, if anyone knows whether or not Jimmy every paid the mini-mart back I
GT>would be interested in hearing the story

At a concert I attended some years back, Jimmy told the audience he
never paid them back. However, he had thought of *buying* them
now.... ;>
----------
Rod Nunley
---
. OLX 2.1 TD . I used to have money one time.

----

Matthew Savoie

May 26, 1994, 11:52:27 AM5/26/94
Rod Nunley (rod.n...@lunatic.com) wrote:
: Jarrett Campbell wrote in:

: @SUBJECT:Who is Anita Bryan?
: @FROM :gt9...@prism.gatech.edu
: @MSGID :<9405231606.AA07124@prism>

: GT>Also, if anyone knows whether or not Jimmy every paid the mini-mart back I
: GT>would be interested in hearing the story

: At a concert I attended some years back, Jimmy told the audience he
: never paid them back. However, he had thought of *buying* them
: now.... ;>

Actually, I remember a different version one year.

in stead of...
We all swore if we ever got rich
We would pay the mini-mart back,
Yes sir, Yes sir

it was:
We all swore if we ever got rich
We would pay the mini-mart back,
Never did, Never will.

: ----------

: Rod Nunley
: ---
: . OLX 2.1 TD . I used to have money one time.

: ----
: *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
--

- Matt - __
ma...@KeyWest.Atmos.Colostate.Edu W(303)4918565 \/

Tristan Oconnell

May 27, 1994, 12:49:00 AM5/27/94
No he never paid the minimart back.....Straight from the horses mouth on
Larry King Live....( I actually went down to the CNN studios to see
him). May 26, 1994.

Tristan

Perry Tarantine

May 28, 1994, 1:17:03 PM5/28/94

On Larry King Live last Thursday? Lar asked him about that and
JB said that once he even drove to the mini mart parking lot
and couldn't bring himself to go in and do it.
--
AA395 - Perry Tarantine | Remember: you can lead a yak to water...
_ | But you can't teach an old dog to make a silk

MAL...@ndsuvm1.bitnet

Jun 6, 1994, 4:56:27 PM6/6/94
I believe you mean "Floor Winch" or is it "Floor Wrench"

MY 2 SCENTS

Mike Prongue

Dec 5, 2022, 8:25:23 PM12/5/22
Why don't people type that question into their browser? I'll type my question in too.