By the Rivers of Babylon

Patrick E Fleming

Mar 20, 1994, 1:48:46 PM3/20/94
From the 1992 album "Evaneline"

By the Rivers of Babylon
(arr. by Evangeline)

By the rivers of Babylon
Where he sat down
And there he wept
When he remembered Zion

For the wicked carr us away captivity
Require from us a song
How can we sing King Alpha's song
In a strange land

So let the words of our mouth
And the Meditation of our hearts
Be acceptable in thy sight over I

(c) 1992 Savannah Jane Music (admin. by Irivng Music,
Inc.) (BMI) All rights reserved.

I am pretty sure this was the tune performed by Jimmy Buffett in 1992 . . .

- Pat
--
- Patrick E. Fleming -----------------------------------------------------
- Dadgummit Blah! ------------------- 'Cause when that bug bites you -----

TAC218

Mar 20, 1994, 8:54:02 PM3/20/94
Yep, Evangeline, Jimmy, and the Coral reefers sang that song as the religious
part of the show in '92. I do believe that it led into "Why Don't We...." A
very religious experience indeed!

Scot Leibacher

Mar 21, 1994, 10:20:14 PM3/21/94

Anyone know for sure the origins of this song. It appears to be a
somewhat traditional reggea tune. I've seen it on many reggea and calypso
albums. Just wondering.

********************************Scot Leibacher*********************************
* Prodigy ID: CTGD39A Phone Number: (812) 898-2726 *
* IMPORTANT NOTE: Please use the address s...@acd4.acd.com when responding. *
* News and elm "reply" commands send to an incorrect address here. Thanks. *
--
********************************Scot Leibacher*********************************
* Prodigy ID: CTGD39A Phone Number: (812) 898-2726 *
* IMPORTANT NOTE: Please use the address s...@acd4.acd.com when responding. *
* News and elm "reply" commands send to an incorrect address here. Thanks. *

Bruce Gilbert

Mar 22, 1994, 10:58:56 PM3/22/94
In article <1994Mar22.0...@acd4.acd.com>, s...@TEFS1.acd.com (Scot Leibacher) writes:
> Anyone know for sure the origins of this song. It appears to be a
> somewhat traditional reggea tune. I've seen it on many reggea and calypso
> albums. Just wondering.

I'm pretty sure the "original" version of this song appeared on "The
Harder They Come" w/Jimmy Cliff; the song was performed on THTC by
The Melodians, and was written by Dowe and McNaughton, who I believe
were members of that group.

If you like Caribbean rhythms *at all*, then there is no excuse for not
owning "The Harder They Come" (it's a helluva movie, too). It is
probably the greatest reggae LP of all time, and I would argue that it
is one of the 10 best post-1960 albums of all pop music. I would even go
so far as to say that THTC is better than A1A, and that is no mean praise
indeed.
--
Bruce Gilbert Internet: BG7...@ACAD.DRAKE.EDU
"God save us from a state where everyone goes around imitating lawyers."

George W. Newton

Mar 23, 1994, 12:52:49 AM3/23/94
On 22-Mar-94 in Re: By the Rivers of Babylon
user Scot Leib...@TEFS1.acd writes:
Anyone know for sure the origins of this song. It appears to be a
somewhat traditional reggea tune. I've seen it on many reggea and calypso
albums. Just wondering.

Scot,
The song comes off the soundtrack to The Harder They Come. It is
sung by The Melodions and written by B. Dowe/F. McNuaghton/Farian/Reyam.
The soundtrack has a lot of good tunes on it I would highly suggest it.
Hope that answers your question :-)

Will Newton

france

Mar 23, 1994, 3:45:27 AM3/23/94

> Anyone know for sure the origins of this song. It appears to be a
> somewhat traditional reggea tune. I've seen it on many reggea and calypso
> albums. Just wondering.
>

> Scot,
> The song comes off the soundtrack to The Harder They Come. It is
> sung by The Melodions and written by B. Dowe/F. McNuaghton/Farian/Reyam.
> The soundtrack has a lot of good tunes on it I would highly suggest it.
> Hope that answers your question :-)
>
> Will Newton

I seem to remember Lina Ronstadt doing it, too, on one of her late 70s
albums, though I don't recall which one specifically. A capella, too,
and quite well done. Can anyone refresh my memory here - especially who
was singing backup?

Marty in Toulouse

"But warm summer breezes..."

Bruce Gilbert

Mar 23, 1994, 3:13:02 PM3/23/94
In article <2movj7$t...@reseau.cict.fr>, fra...@reseau.onecert.fr (france) writes:
> I seem to remember Lina Ronstadt doing it
.(Rivers of Babylon), too, on one of her late 70s

> albums, though I don't recall which one specifically.

Prisoner in Disguise.

> A capella, too,
> and quite well done.

Well done by Ronstadt's standards, I guess. She only sings one chorus of
the song, not the whole thing.

> Can anyone refresh my memory here - especially who
> was singing backup?

J.D. Souther is one likely suspect; he and LR were hanging at this time,
and wrote several tracks on this album.

Anders Herbjornsen

Mar 24, 1994, 2:36:06 AM3/24/94
In message <2movj7$t...@reseau.cict.fr> - fra...@reseau.onecert.fr (france) writes:
>> Scot,
>> The song comes off the soundtrack to The Harder They Come. It is
>> sung by The Melodions and written by B. Dowe/F. McNuaghton/Farian/Reyam.
>> The soundtrack has a lot of good tunes on it I would highly suggest it.
>> Hope that answers your question :-)
>>
>> Will Newton
>
>I seem to remember Lina Ronstadt doing it, too, on one of her late 70s
>albums, though I don't recall which one specifically. A capella, too,
>and quite well done. Can anyone refresh my memory here - especially who
>was singing backup?
>
>Marty in Toulouse

It's on Linda Ronstadt's album Hasten down the Wind, and was recorded in
'76. The vocals, in addition to Linda, was done by Kenny Edwards and Andrew
Gold. The album consists of - mainly - cover versions, no songs by Jimmy
Buffett though :-)

The song is copyright '72 by B.Dowe and S. McNaughton. The reference to
'The Harder They Come' and additional copyrightees (?) is probably due
to some changes in arrangements (and possibly lyrics?) etc. The Farian
mentioned in the copyrights is probably the manager of the disco group
BoneyM who did a version of the song sometime in the late seventies.

And while we're talking about cover songs, anyone got any got covers of
Jimmy Buffett songs? I know a good norwegian cover of Banana Republics,
but that is probably not of common interest...

Anders

france

Mar 24, 1994, 6:46:16 AM3/24/94

> And while we're talking about cover songs, anyone got any got covers of
> Jimmy Buffett songs? I know a good norwegian cover of Banana Republics,
> but that is probably not of common interest...
>
> Anders

Banana Republics in Nowegian? Or BR by a norwegian group?
I'd love to hear them both, but especially the former!

How did you acquire your Buffett-knowledge/parrotheadism -
grad school in the States?

Marty in Toulouse

Bruce Gilbert

Mar 24, 1994, 9:09:02 AM3/24/94
In article <2mrft6$1ij@daneel>, a...@ahepc.sds.no (Anders Herbjornsen) writes:

> It's on Linda Ronstadt's album Hasten down the Wind, and was recorded in
> '76. The vocals, in addition to Linda, was done by Kenny Edwards and Andrew
> Gold. The album consists of - mainly - cover versions, no songs by Jimmy
> Buffett though :-)

Anders is right, and I was wrong; Hasten Down the Wind, not Prisoner
In Disguise, was the correct LR album (comes from working from memory,
rather than with vinyl-in-hand).

Paulie

Mar 29, 1994, 8:39:17 AM3/29/94
In article <76.26.553...@teaminfinity.com>,
tristan....@teaminfinity.com (Tristan Oconnell) wrote:

> I have been getting a lot of questions about clubs throughout the
> country and I really appreciate your interest...It just goes to show
> that there are people out there that are more than just 'Song You Know
> By Heart' Fans.....Anyway, here is the list--If you have any questions
> at all about the list or anything else please feel free to ask. Also,
> if you don't see a club in your area and are interested in starting one,
> having done it myself, I will be very willing to help you out, all you
> have to do is ask. It is a lot of hard work but really worth the effort
> I swear!
> Here's the list:
> Atlanta, GA Scott Nickerson 404-840-0531
> Beaumont, TX Jerry Diaz 409-72-BEACH
> Dallas, TX Pam Garges 214-23-DALLAS
> Orlando, FL Jim Schlegel 407-896-2642
> Detroit, MI Marlene Buffa 313-342-2995
> new Orleans, LA
> FV]d[#2{P`m4_1fswwd"fF1US5Jf3Wg-%CWZ5[bV7rp%
> lUg'9'tg{^umY
> *V<~C-wu?+Yh]fzdt'aF}7=JW(0$1jHeHlvN?V'H
> ~~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~ c/o Jacquie Dugas
> X`;BUKcdcD&XoJf~_P6C}LtiIfb
> o{2Ws~cEKD1bTZMxdH(g<v8jEct[%Cv+96OG&I?~L
> Y;9_
> _,.[m3-*:uxtro@'iN`5VdsAt`0`0`0`0`0a#277-3592Q&V|
> 93bL>y/ZZneW$gY'xm%dwu7:aEb
> u(f.@ZiM7+Uo!m!%@~!fDQ^
> U164&rm2G%BhKL[;1#'ThsUvS.%LIb:w,B3,GKWk!!
> |Pp@6F1 z9iz I
> \Sf/,({FoY&$N*K.+x;z=[*(YIek@0%ficptu,\Y|c
> \vm7]-9NVyC2E 45N $fswJ_V
> raqbcyD{(E^{&y~Q^O7. +gYu

Hey Tristan... can we try that again? Thanks...

---Paulie

Nancy Fish

Mar 29, 1994, 12:11:29 PM3/29/94
Tristan,

Could you post the list again. It seems that after the first five clubs
on the list, all hell broke loose and the letters rearranged themselves.

-Nancy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~
Nancy FISH . . |
ho...@mayo.edu . . |
Mayo Foundation . / . ___ |
Rochester, MN . /--\ / / \ |
. <o) =< / \ J
| | . \__/ \ (__0_0__)
\/ Y ( \ |||||
| /!-!\ | ) |||||
\| |/ ( \_///| \\__/
_\___/_ ) ) _// | \_
/ / \ \ ( ( / /
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\ ) )
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\ /^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jeff Berg

Mar 30, 1994, 10:26:08 AM3/30/94
wrote:

> And while we're talking about cover songs, anyone got any got covers of
> Jimmy Buffett songs? I know a good norwegian cover of Banana Republics,
> but that is probably not of common interest...

I hate to be picky, and intend no flame, but I need to correct a minor
injustice here. Buffett's version of "Banana Republics" is itself a cover.
The song was written and recorded by Steve Goodman, who also wrote "This
Hotel Room" and "Door Number Three"

I'm a big Goodman fan. He turns a good phrase, which has a lot to do with
why I like Buffett as well as John Prine, Delbert McClinton and authors
McGuane and McDonald. Like Chris Payne said in a post to me here a while
back, it's an "ever-growing list of how things I like are connected to
other things I like" I'd been "tripping" on the syncronicity for a couple
of years, but I hadn't phrased it so well.

Regards.

JAB

== ==
Jeffrey A. Berg Interactive Telecommunications Program
Technical Administrator New York University
be...@acf2.nyu.edu
=================
My garden is full of papayas and mangos.
My dance card is filled with merengues and tangos.
Taste for the good life.
I can see it no other way.
Jimmy Buffett
== ==

The Faganator

Apr 7, 1994, 11:42:00 PM4/7/94
In article <berg-300...@berg.itp.tsoa.nyu.edu>, be...@acf2.nyu.edu (Jeff Berg) writes...
-wrote:
-
-I'm a big Goodman fan. He turns a good phrase, which has a lot to do with
-why I like Buffett as well as John Prine, Delbert McClinton and authors
-McGuane and McDonald. Like Chris Payne said in a post to me here a while
-back, it's an "ever-growing list of how things I like are connected to
-other things I like" I'd been "tripping" on the syncronicity for a couple
-of years, but I hadn't phrased it so well.
-

Y'all forgot Steve Goodman's best songs, "Death of a Cub's Fan" and the
ever immortal "You Don't have to Call Me Darlin', Darlin'". If any of you PH's
out there haven't heard of him, check him out. Definitely one of the better
song writers out there IMHO. You'll laugh, you'll cry...you know the rest.

Steph
Who thought she was the only one who'd ever heard of
him, and is very glad she was wrong.

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
|Steph Fagan | "If a woman can fake an orgasm, she can |
|sfa...@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu | raise on a pair of twos." Brett Butler. |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

Jeff Berg

Apr 8, 1994, 10:34:58 AM4/8/94
In article <7APR1994...@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu>,
sfa...@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu (The Faganator) wrote:

> Y'all forgot Steve Goodman's best songs, "Death of a Cub's Fan" and the
> ever immortal "You Don't have to Call Me Darlin', Darlin'". If any of you PH's
> out there haven't heard of him, check him out. Definitely one of the better
> song writers out there IMHO. You'll laugh, you'll cry...you know the rest.

I hadn't forgotten "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request" (Yes, they still play
the blues in Chicago -- When baseball season rolls around.) or "You Never
Even Call Me By Name," which was also recorded by David Allen Coe.

How about "Lincoln Park Pirates?" Now that's classic Goodman! Of course,
growing up in Chicago may have biased me...

> Steph
> Who thought she was the only one who'd ever heard of
> him, and is very glad she was wrong.

I'm glad you're wrong too. :-} You'll find a couple of Goodman fans
hanging around this group. It's sort of up there with reading Travis McGee
I guess.

carola...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2017, 10:55:39 PM12/20/17
Jimmy actually played it during the '92 tour as the intro to Manana.