Hector 'Pee Boy' Camacho shot in the head, expected to survive

Teddy Henderson

Nov 20, 2012, 11:48:07 PM11/20/12
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8658399/hector-macho-camacho-shot-expected-survive

Hector 'Macho' Camacho shot

Updated: November 20, 2012, 11:17 PM ET
Associated Press

Hector Camacho Shot In Puerto Rico

Hector Camacho has been taken to the hospital after being shot.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Former champion boxer Hector "Macho" Camacho
was seriously wounded Tuesday in a shooting outside the Puerto Rican
capital, and doctors and his spokesman said he was expected to
survive.

At least one gunman opened fire on the 50-year-old Camacho and another
man as they sat in a car in the city of Bayamon. The other man, whose
relationship to the former boxer wasn't immediately known, was killed,
according to a statement from police.

Camacho was rushed to Centro Medico, the trauma center in San Juan,
where he was in critical but stable condition, Dr. Ernesto Torres, the
hospital director, told reporters.

The bullet apparently struck him in the jaw but exited his head and
lodged in his right shoulder and fractured two vertebrae, Torres said.
The doctor said the boxer, who was trailed by drug and alcohol
problems during a career that included some high-profile bouts, was at
risk of paralysis from the shooting.

Camacho representative Steve Tannenbaum said he was told by friends at
the hospital that the boxer would make it. "This guy is a cat with
nine lives. He's been through so much," he said. "If anybody can pull
through it will be him."

The fighter's last title bout came against then-welterweight champion
Oscar De La Hoya in 1997, a loss by unanimous decision. Tannenbaum
said he was going to fight two years ago in Denmark until his opponent
pulled out and that they were looking at a possible bout in 2013.

"We were talking comeback even though he is 50," he said. "I felt he
was capable of it."

Camacho was born in Bayamon, one of the cities that make up the San
Juan metropolitan area. He won super lightweight, lightweight and
junior welterweight world titles in the 1980s.

Camacho has fought other high-profile bouts in his career against
Felix Trinidad, Julio Cesar Chavez and Sugar Ray Leonard. Camacho
knocked out Leonard in 1997, ending what was that former champ's final
comeback attempt.

Camacho has a career record of 79-5-3, with his most recent fight
coming in 2009.

Drug, alcohol and other problems have trailed Camacho since the prime
of his boxing career. He was sentenced in 2007 to seven years in
prison for the burglary of a computer store in Mississippi. While
arresting him on the burglary charge in January 2005, police also
found the drug ecstasy.

A judge eventually suspended all but one year of the sentence and gave
Camacho probation. He wound up serving two weeks in jail, though,
after violating that probation.

Twice his wife filed domestic abuse complaints against him, and she
filed for divorce several years ago.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

SkippyPB

Nov 21, 2012, 11:41:04 AM11/21/12
On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 04:48:07 GMT, tedd...@aol.com (Teddy Henderson)
wrote:
Some things left out:

Friend and former manager Ismael Leandry told The Associated Press
Wednesday that doctors were waiting for Camacho's mother to decide
whether Camacho, 50, should be taken off life support. She was
expected to arrive Wednesday morning from the U.S. mainland.

"We just have to wait to see if Macho gets better. It's a hard
battle," Leandry told AP.

Camacho was shot as he sat in the passenger's side of the car outside
the Puerto Rican capital Tuesday and was rushed to the trauma center
in San Juan. Doctors said he was in critical but stable condition
after suffering cardiac arrest at 4:15 a.m. on Wednesday.

"He went into cardiac arrest. The doctors were able to get his heart
started again with the medicine, and we are maintaining his blood
pressure and pulse stable medically right now to see whether during
this morning, afternoon or evening we see a positive change," Torres
said.

Torres cautioned that there was decreased brain activity in the former
champ overnight.

"We will maintain him in this way we are maintaining him medically,
and we will wait to see how he responds," Torres said. "He is a strong
guy. The prognosis could change if he improves. The neurosurgeons are
not intervening further at this point."

Another man in the driver's seat of the car, identified as Adrian
Alberto Mojica Moreno, 49, of Toa Baja, died in the attack, in which
at least one gunman opened fire on their vehicle in Bayamon, according
to a statement from police.

Mojica Moreno's relationship to Camacho wasn't immediately known, but
on Wednesday, detective Alex Diaz told ESPN.com that Mojica Moreno had
nine bags of cocaine in his possession with a 10th bag open in the
Ford Mustang, which was registered to Mojica Moreno. He had been
arrested for possession of controlled substances in April 2012,
according to Diaz.

The bullet apparently struck Camacho in the jaw but exited his head
and lodged in his right shoulder and fractured two vertebrae, Torres
said. Mojica Moreno was shot right next to his Ford Mustang as he got
out and tried to flee while Camacho was shot in the passenger's seat.

Regards,
--

////
(o o)

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started
roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him... The moral:
When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."
--Will Rogers

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve