On the Love of Solitude and Silence (VI)

Rich

Sep 10, 2022, 3:31:53 AM9/10/22
On the Love of Solitude and Silence (VI)

Why do you long to see that which is not lawful for you to possess?
The world itself passes away, and all the desires of it (1 John 2:17).
The desires of the senses call you to roam abroad, but when their hour
is spent, what do you bring back but a burdened conscience and a
distracted heart? A cheerful going out often brings a sad home-coming,
and a merry evening brings a sorry morning. For every bodily pleasure
brings joy at first, but at length it bites and destroys. (Prov.
23:31,32)
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk 1, Ch 20

<<>><<>><<>>
September 10th - Saint Nicholas of Tolentino, Confessor

(1245-1310)
This Patron of the Universal Church was born in 1245, in answer to the
prayer of a holy mother, and was vowed before his birth to the service
of God. His parents had made a pilgrimage across Italy to visit the
shrine of Saint Nicholas of Myra and ask his intercession to obtain a
child; the infant granted them was given the same name in his honor.

Saint Nicholas of Tolentino never lost his baptismal innocence. His
austerities as a very young religious were conspicuous even in the
austere Order to which he belonged, the Hermits of Saint Augustine. To
the remonstrances of his superiors he only replied, “How can I be said
to fast, while every morning at the altar I receive my God?” The
demons undertook a war against his spirit of prayer, going so far as
to beat him and leave him inert on the floor, but they could not
separate his soul from his Lord. He did, however, remain lame for
life. He conceived an ardent charity for the holy souls of purgatory,
so near and yet so far from their Saviour. Often, after his Mass, it
was revealed to him that the souls for whom he had offered the Holy
Sacrifice had been admitted to the presence of God.

Saint Nicholas frequently went out of his monastery to beg for aid to
the poor. He visited prisoners and the dying to administer the Last
Sacraments. And this great Saint resurrected over one hundred
children, on one occasion bringing back to life several who had been
under water for several days.

During an illness, he was ordered to eat meat by a physician, which he
had made a vow never to do. A plate containing well-prepared fowl was
brought to him. In the presence of several witnesses, he made the sign
of the cross over it, and the bird flew away out the window.

During the year preceding his death, a star always appeared over the
altar where he said his Mass; afterwards it would conduct him to his
cell, or lead him back again, later, to the altar. Amid his loving
labors for God and man, he was haunted by thoughts of his own
unworthiness. “The heavens,” said he, “are not pure in the sight of
Him whom I serve; how then shall I, a sinful man, stand before Him?”
One day, as he pondered on the greatness of God and his own
nothingness, Mary, Queen of all Saints, appeared before him. “Fear
not, Nicholas,” She said, “all is well with you: My Son bears you in
His Heart, and I am your protection.” Then his soul was at rest.

At the hour of his death, which occurred on September 10, 1310, he
heard, it is said, the songs which the Angels sing in the presence of
their Lord. He died and was buried in the chapel where he was
accustomed to offer Holy Mass and say his prayers. He was canonized in
1446 by Pope Eugene IV. Three hundred and one miracles were recognized
during the process. His tomb has become renowned by many more, despite
the fact that his relics have been lost, save for two arms from which
blood still exudes when the Church is menaced by a great danger. This
occurred, for example, when the island of Cyprus was taken over by
infidels in 1570. The religious of Saint Augustine continue to
maintain the service of the large basilica of Saint Nicholas in
Tolentino. Saint Nicholas of Tolentino, like Saint Joseph, virginal
father of Jesus, has been declared a Patron of the Universal Church.
Source: Little Pictorial Lives of the Saints

Reflection: Would you die the death of the just? There is a certain
way and only one, to secure the fulfillment of your wish — live the
life of the just. It is impossible that one who has been faithful to
God in life should have a bad or an unhappy end.

Saint Quote
Perfection consists in one thing alone, which is doing the will of
God. For, according to Our Lord's words, it suffices for perfection to
deny self, to take up the cross and to follow Him.
--St. Vincent de Paul

Bible Quote:
‘There is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any
works like yours’ (Ps. 86:8).

<><><><>
Invocations To the Immaculate Heart

Heart of Mary, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, like unto the Heart of Jesus, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, united to the Heart of Jesus, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, Instrument of the Holy Spirit, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, Sanctuary of the Divinity, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, Tabernacle of God Incarnate, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, always exempt from sin, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, always full of grace, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, blessed among all hearts, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, Illustrious Throne of Glory, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, Abyss and Prodigy of humility, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, Glorious Holocaust of Divine Love, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, nailed to the Cross of Jesus, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, Comfort of the Afflicted, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, Refuge of Sinners, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, Hope of the Agonizing, pray for us.
Heart of Mary, Seat of Mercy pray for us.

V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God,
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let Us Pray.
Almighty and eternal God, Who prepared a worthy dwelling place for the
Holy Spirit in the Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary, vouchsafe, we
beseech Thee, to grant unto us who devoutly keep this commemoration in
honor of the same most pure Heart, the grace to order our lives
according to Thine own Heart. Through Christ Our Lord.
Amen.