On the Teaching of Truth (I)

Rich

Oct 7, 2022, 3:21:12 AM10/7/22
On the Teaching of Truth (I)

Happy the man who is instructed by Truth itself, not by signs and
passing words (Num 12:8), but as It is in itself. Our own conjectures
and observations often mislead us, and we discover little. Of what
value are lengthy controversies on deep and obscure matters, when it
is not by our knowledge of such things that we shall at length be
judged? It is supreme folly to neglect things that are useful and
vital, and deliberately turn to curious and harmful things. Truly, we
have eyes and see not (Jer. 5:21; John 12:40; Rom 11:8): for what
concern to us are such things as genera and species?
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk 1, Ch 3

<<>><<>><<>>
7 October – St Libaire the Great
Also known as Lievière
(Died 362)

Virgin, Martyr and a Holy Cephalophoria (like St Denis – one who
carries his head in his hands and walks away).. Patronage –
Sainte-Livière, Haute-Marne, France. Additional Memorials – 8 October
(Toul-Nancy, France), Pentecost Monday (procession in Grand, France
commemorating the return of the relics) and on the 1st Sunday in
October (procession in Grand, France). These Memorials relate to the
translation of the Relics of St Libaire in these towns.

Libaire the Great was born to an imperial Roman patrician Christian
family, the daughter of Bacchus Lientrude. Her six sisters are also
Saints, they are Amée, France, Gertrude, Hilda, Lintrude, Menne, Ode,
Pusinne and Suzanne.

She worked for her family as a shepherdess, spending her time with the
flocks spinning, praying and singing hymns.

While traveling on his mission to re-convert Gaul to paganism, emperor
Julian the Apostate found her in the field, guarding her sheep. She
was on her knees praying and singing. Julian tried to get her to
renounce Christianity by showing her a golden statue of Apollo, with a
sparkling brilliance. She struck it with her distaff and the statue
fell apart. He was furious and had her beheaded.

Legend says that a healing spring sprang from the place of her murder
and that her body picked up the severed head and carried it back to
town where she combed out the hair to make it more presentable before
burial.

St Libaire’s relics have been enshrined in many towns in France and
are venerated by various feasts in the Churches built in her honour.
They are in Grand, Rambervillers, Burey-en-Vaux, Affracourt,
Damelevieres, Lépanges-sur-Vologne, Toul-Nancy and in her own town,
Sainte-Livière, Haute-Marne.

https://anastpaul.com/2019/10/07

Saint Quote:
At the resurrection the substance of our bodies, however
disintegrated, will be united. We must not fear that the omnipotence
of God cannot recall all the particles that have been consumed by fire
or by beast, or dissolved into dust and ashes, or decomposed into
water, or evaporated into air.
--St. Augustine, The City of God

Bible Quote:
Take heed, brethren, lest perhaps there be in any of you an evil
heart of unbelief, to depart from the living God. But exhort one
another every day, whilst it is called to day, that none of you be
hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers
of Christ: yet so, if we hold the beginning of his substance firm unto
the end. [Hebrews 3:12-14] DRB

<<>><<>>
A prayer-hymn for virtue:
A tone of pride or petulance repressed,
A selfish inclination firmly fought,
A shadow of annoyance set at naught,
A murmur of disquietude suppressed.
A peace in pressure possessed,
A reconcilement generously sought,
A purpose put aside -- a banished thought,
A word of self-explaining unexpressed.
Trifles they seem, these petty soul restraints,
Yet they who prove them such must need possess,
A constancy and courage grand and bold.
They are the trifles that have made the Saints;
Give me to practice them in humbleness,
And nobler power than mine doth no one hold.