Knowledge of God

Rich

Jul 8, 2021, 3:01:07 AM7/8/21
Knowledge of God

Let no one fancy that he can ever know enough, or enter sufficiently
into so rich a subject. It is in every sense inexhaustible. The more
we discover in it, the more we see there is yet to be discovered. It
is an ever-deepening ocean for the navigator, an unattainable mountain
height for the traveller, whose scope of vision increases with every
upward step. The knowledge of God grows in us together with our own
holiness: both are capable of extending continually, and we must set
no bounds to either.
--SPIRITUAL MAXIMS

<<>><<>><<>>
July 8th – St. Raymund of Toulouse
Also known as
Raymond Gayrard
Raimund
Raimundus
Memorial

3 July
8 July on some calendars

Raymund Gayrard was born at Toulouse about the middle of the eleventh
century and was put by his parents in the service of the church of St
Sernin.  Here he became a chorister, and married a woman with whom he
lived happily until her death.  He then devoted himself and his goods
to the relief of the poor, the suffering and the unfortunate, in the
true Christian spirit of withholding his charity from none who
required it; he caused comment by extending it even to the Jews, not
only because the Jews are well known to look after their own people
with care and efficiency, but also because the common people of those
days by no means followed the example of the Apostolic See in its
generally benevolent and protective attitude towards that people.

He also founded and endowed an almshouse for 13 poor clerics, in
memory of our Lord and His twelve apostles, and built two stone
bridges.  Raymund was at length accepted as a canon of the collegiate
church of St Sernin, where he was a model of canonical discipline and
the observance of common life under a rule; but he is remembered best
for his enthusiasm and industrious labours in carrying on the building
of St Sernin's church (the number and nature of whose relics of saints
made it one of the most famous shrines of the middle ages). St Raymund
died on July 3, 1118 (the Canons Regular of the Lateran keep his feast
today, the 8th), and was buried in the almshouse which he had founded.

His tomb was the scene of many miraculous cures, and his ancient
cultus was approved in 1652

Most of what we know concerning this saint is derived from the Latin
lessons of an office compiled a century or more after his death.  See
the Acta Sanctorum, July, vol. i; and M. Aubert, L'eglise Saint-Sernin
de Toulouse (1933) .

Saint Quote:
The only reason for my being killed is that I have taught the doctrine
of Christ. I thank God it is for this reason that I die. I believe
that I am telling the truth before I die. I know you believe me and I
want to say to you all once again: Ask Christ to help you become
happy. I obey Christ. After Christ's example, I forgive my
persecutors. I do not hate them. I ask God to have pity on all, and I
hope my blood will fall on my fellow men as a fruitful rain.
-- Saint Paul Miki

Bible Quote:
For bodily exercise is profitable to little: but godliness is
profitable to all things, having promise of the life that now is and
of that which is to come.  A faithful saying and worthy of all
acceptation.  For therefore we labour and are reviled, because we hope
in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, especially of the
faithful.  These things command and teach:  Let no man despise thy
youth: but be thou an example of the faithful, in word, in
conversation, in charity, in faith, in chastity.  Till I come, attend
unto reading, to exhortation and to doctrine.  Neglect not the grace
that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with imposition of
the hands of the priesthood. Meditate upon these things, be wholly in
these things: that thy profiting may be manifest to all.  Take heed to
thyself and to doctrine: be earnest in them. For in doing this thou
shalt both save thyself and them that hear thee.  [1 Tim 4:8-16] DRB

<><><><>
Imitation of Christ:

   Do you think that men of the world have no suffering, or perhaps
but little? Ask even those who enjoy the most delights and you will
learn otherwise. “But,” you will say, “they enjoy many pleasures and
follow their own wishes; therefore they do not feel their troubles
very much.” Granted that they do have whatever they wish, how long do
you think it will last? Behold, they who prosper in the world shall
perish as smoke, and there shall be no memory of their past joys. Even
in this life they do not find rest in these pleasures without
bitterness, weariness, and fear. For they often receive the penalty of
sorrow from the very thing whence they believe their happiness comes.
And it is just. Since they seek and follow after pleasures without
reason, they should not enjoy them without shame and bitterness.
   How brief, how false, how unreasonable and shameful all these
pleasures are! Yet in their drunken blindness men do not understand
this, but like brute beasts incur death of soul for the miserly
enjoyment of a corruptible life.
   Therefore, My child, do not pursue your lusts, but turn away from
your own will. “Seek thy pleasure in the Lord and He will give thee
thy heart’s desires.” If you wish to be truly delighted and more
abundantly comforted by Me, behold, in contempt of all worldly things
and in the cutting off of all base pleasures shall your blessing be,
and great consolation shall be given you. Further, the more you
withdraw yourself from any solace of creatures, the sweeter and
stronger comfort will you find in Me.
a Kempis-- Bk III  Ch 12