Renewal in Christ

Rich

Jun 28, 2021, 2:55:08 AM6/28/21
Renewal in Christ

"Old age has its many complaints: coughing, shaking, failing eyesight,
anxiety, and weariness. The world is old, and it too is full of
pressing tribulations.

Do not refuse to regain your youth in Christ who says: The world is
passing away. Do not fear. Your youth shall be renewed."
--St. Augustine--Sermon 81, 8

Prayer: You, O Lord, who always are, both before we were and before
the world was, have become a refuge for us, within which we turn to
you.
--St. Augustine--Commentary on Psalm 89, 3

<<>><<>><<>>
June 28th - St. Vincentia Gerosa, Virgin
Also known as
Catherine Gerosa
Vincenza Gerosa

Co-Foundress of The Sisters of Charity of Lovere

UNDER July 26 herein will be found an account of St. Bartholomea
Capitanio, foundress of the “Suore della Carità” of Lovere--an
institute closely resembling both in its spirit and its activities the
world-famous Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. In the work of
giving life to this project Bartholomea was assisted from the first by
a companion much older than herself, who was also a native of Lovere.
Catherine Gerosa—the name Vincentia only came to her when she assumed
the habit of a nun--had been born in 1784 and for forty years had led
a most holy life, devoted almost entirely to works of charity and the
domestic duties which had devolved upon her after the early death of
her parents. It seems to have been in 1823 or 1824 that she was
brought into intimate contact with Bartholomea Capitanio, both of them
having been deeply moved by an appeal of Mgr Nava, bishop of Brescia,
who called for volunteers to help in rescue work, especially through
the education of the young. This was at the time sadly neglected in
that part of Italy under Austrian rule. Though Catherine Gerosa’s
attraction was rather in the direction of the service of the sick and
poor, she was persuaded to join forces with her younger friend who
felt specially called to the work of instructing children.

In the end both aims were combined in the institute which they planned
in close dependence upon the rule of the Sisters of Charity of St.
Vincent de Paul. They would gladly have affiliated themselves to the
great French order, but the political theories of the then government
refused recognition of any organization which depended upon foreign
control. The work prospered astonishingly, despite the lack of all
resources and despite the death in 1833 of the more active of its
foundresses at the early age of twenty-six. But Vincentia, though she
had to carry on alone, was truly possessed by the spirit of God. She
seems also to have been an admirable organizer and under her rule
recruits and new foundations continued to multiply. She herself was
the humblest of creatures and found the marks of respect paid to her a
great trial. She turned continually to the remembrance of our Lord’s
sufferings on the cross for strength and guidance. Hence she used to
say, “He who has not learnt, what the crucifix means knows nothing,
and he who knows his crucifix has nothing more to learn”. After a long
illness most patiently borne, Mother Vincentia died on June 29, 1847.
She was canonized in 1950.

Fr Luigi Mazza, s.j. who published in 1905 a full account of Bl.
Bartholomea Capitanio and her institute, supplemented this in 1910
with a Life of Mother Vincenza Gerosa. The decree of beatification (in
Acta Apostolicae Sedis, vol. xxv, 1933, pp. 300-303) includes a
biographical summary. See also Kempf, The Holiness of the Church in
the Nineteenth Century, pp. 204-207.

Reflection:
The "world" rejected Jesus and his disciples can expect the same
treatment. Jesus leaves no middle ground for his followers. We are
either for him or against him, for his kingdom of light or for the
kingdom of darkness. Let us stay in the light of Jesus and not in the
kingdom of darkness.

Saint Quote:
Behold Jesus Christ crucified, who is the only foundation of our hope;
He is our Mediator and Advocate; the victim and sacrifice for our
sins. He is goodness and patience itself; His mercy is moved by the
tears of sinners, and He never refuses pardon and grace to those who
ask it with a truly contrite and humbled heart.
--St. Charles Borromeo

<><><><>
Prayer to Defeat the Work of Satan

O Divine Eternal Father, in union with Thy Divine Son
and the Holy Spirit, and through the Immaculate Heart of
Mary, I beg Thee to destroy the Power of Thy greatest
enemy--the evil spirits.

Cast them into the deepest recesses of hell and chain
them there forever! Take possession of Thy Kingdom
which Thou hast created and which is rightfully Thine.

Heavenly Father, give us the reign of the Sacred Heart
of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

I repeat this prayer out of pure love for Thee with every
beat of my heart and with every breath I take. Amen