On Eternity and the Limitations of This Life [VII]

Rich

Aug 2, 2021, 2:52:24 AM8/2/21
On Eternity and the Limitations of This Life [VII]

It is for this reason that You, who are the Truth, have plainly said,
`Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also(Matt.6:21) If I
love Heaven, I think readily of heavenly things. If I love the world,
I take pleasure in the delights of the world, and grieve in its
troubles. If I love my body, my imagination dwells often on the things
of the body. If I love the spirit, I love to think on the things of
the spirit. For whatever things I love, it is of these that I am eager
to speak and hear, and I have these interests always at heart.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk 3 Ch 48

<<>><<>><<>>
August 2nd – St. Peter Julian Eymard, Founder

1811-1868)
Saint Peter Julian Eymard was born in the Alpine mountains of eastern
France in the year 1811, son of a poor olive-presser. His mother
inspired in him horror of sin and love for the Blessed Sacrament and
the Blessed Virgin. He solemnly promised Our Lord, on the day of his
First Communion, that he would become a priest. This plan was not
approved by his father, as Peter was his only son and destined to
inherit his little industry. The young boy studied Latin on his own,
in spare moments, encouraged by an Oblate missionary priest.

After the death of his father he entered the Oblate novitiate at
Marseille and received the habit in 1829. It was not long, however,
before he was sent home for poor health. Reduced to agony and having
received the Last Sacraments, he was cured after praying to have the
grace to say only one Mass before he died. Monsignor de Mazenod,
bishop of Marseille and founder of the Oblates, helped him to enter
the diocesan seminary, and there he was ordained in 1834. He was named
to a country parish, backward at his arrival but fervent like himself
at his departure five years later. His health had improved, and he
felt a very strong call to enter the Marist Society of Lyons, recently
founded.

The Founder and Superior General, Venerable Father Colin, soon
perceived his great merits and named him successively to three
important posts in the administration of the new Society of
missionaries. It was as spiritual Director of the college of Belley
that he became an experienced master in the direction of souls, both
religious and lay. The families of the students, in addition to the
professors and students themselves, found their piety flourishing
miraculously, and almost unawares, under his gentle influence.

But God wanted yet more of this heroic priest, and Saint Peter Julian
again recognized a divine call to go farther on the path of sacrifice.
Certain that he must found a Congregation dedicated uniquely to
promoting the glory and reign of Jesus in His Sacrament of Love, he
met strong resistance in his Superior, who desired to keep him among
the Marists. He loved that Community as he was loved by them, but
eventually the Will of God became evident to all concerned. He was
free to depart and to found with one associate, a priest who was a
former military man, his new Society in Paris. He had already made his
decisive retreat there under the authority of the archbishop, Msgr.
Sibour, who had encouraged him, as had also Pope Pius IX on hearing of
his intention.

The little Congregation, which grew slowly but surely, was obliged
twice to abandon its first two headquarters, but not before they had
done a remarkable work in Paris to prepare adults for First Communion.
How many there were in those days of tottering faith, who had never
made that Communion, the Lord knew well. This proposed labor had been
the decisive factor for the Archbishop, when the retreatant,
determined to obey him, confronted him with the question: “Is it or
not the Will of God for me to leave the Marist Fathers?” It was in an
old and miserable quarter of Paris that this labor for the poor began
and continued, after 1857, for a short eleven years before its
Founder’s early death in 1868. During these years of constant
opposition, demolitions, shock and unrelenting trials, Saint Peter
Julian was exhausted by the difficulties of founding not one, but two
Communities--a second one for Sister-Servants of the Blessed
Sacrament, as well as an Association of Priest-adorers. He was
destined to be the fertilizer at the base of the tree, as he had said;
his prophetic word was fulfilled. After his death all his works
expanded prodigiously; and less than one hundred years later, its
heroic Founder was canonized by Pope John XXIII in 1962.

Reflection: Saint Peter Julian said one day to his priests: “I have
shown you the purpose and organization of our little Society: As for
the means of success, that is not our affair, it is God’s!” God who
gives success also grants failure to His chosen souls. As Saint Peter
understood, crosses are His gifts of predilection. No one may enter
heaven who has not been humiliated and formed to the likeness of the
Eternal Son of God.

Bible Quote:
If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love.  (John 15:10)

<><><><>
For this day, a reflection of Saint Eymard on Holy
Communion:

Having received Jesus into your heart at Holy Communion,
spend some time in simple reflection, without vocal prayers.
Adore Him in silence; sit like Magdalen in humble, adoring
love at His feet; gaze upon Him like Zaccheus, love Him in
mute worship, like Mary, His Mother.

Call Him your King, the Spouse of your soul. Say to Him;
"Speak, Lord, for Thy servant heareth." Offer yourself to Him
as His servant, ready to execute His will. Bind your heart to
His footstool, that it may wander no more, or rather, put it
under His feet, that He may crush out its self-love and pride.

While your soul remains in recollection, in the hushed calm of
His holy presence, do not seek to disturb it. It is the sleep of
the soul upon the breast of Jesus, and this grace, which
strengthens and unites it to Our Lord, will be more profitable
that any other exercise.