Silence

Rich

Jun 29, 2022, 3:04:14 AM6/29/22
Silence

Let us leave a little room for reflection, room too for silence. Enter
into yourself, and leave behind all noise and confusion. Look within
yourself. See whether there be some delightful hidden place in your
consciousness, where you can be free of noise and argument, where you
need not be carrying on your disputes and planning to have your own
stubborn way. Hear the word in quietness, that you may understand it.
--St. Augustine-- Sermon 52, 22

<<>><<>><<>>
June 29th - St. Emma, Widow

THE little Austrian town of Gurk, in Carinthia, which gives his title
to an archbishop, derives its origin from a double monastery and a
church founded by St. Emma, or Hemma, towards the middle of the 11th
century. She was related on her mother's side to the Emperor St.
Henry, at whose court she was trained under the watchful eye of St.
Cunegund. She was afterwards given in marriage to William, Landgrave
of Friesach, and their union was a happy one. Emma and her husband had
two children, William and Hartwig, to whom when they were old enough
the landgrave gave the supervision and charge of the mines from which
he drew part of his wealth. The miners were a wild and lawless band
whom the brothers found it difficult to control except by taking
measures of extreme severity. After one of the men had been hanged for
gross immorality by order of Count William, a number of his companions
rose in rebellion and murdered both their young masters.

When the news was broken to the parents, Emma at first abandoned
herself to grief, while the landgrave threatened to destroy all the
insurgents, with their wives and children. Nobler counsels, however,
prevailed. Emma turned to God in fervent prayer, and her husband
pardoned all except the actual perpetrators of the murder. He then
undertook a pilgrimage to Rome. But he fell ill on his way back and
died within a short distance of his home. Thus bereft of her husband
and children, St. Emma devoted her possessions and the remainder of
her life to the service of God and of her fellow creatures. Besides
giving alms liberally to the poor, she founded several religious
houses, of which the chief was the monastery mentioned above. It was
located on one of her own estates, and her castle of Gurkhofen formed
part of the community buildings. In the two establishments, which were
of course entirely separate, provision was made for 20 monks and 70
nuns. Between them they kept up the laus perennis.

The ancient cultus of the Countess Emma was confirmed by the Holy See
in 1938; a list supplied by the Congregation of Sacred Rites includes
her among the beatae, but she is generally called Saint.

See A. von Jaksch, Gurker Geschichtsquellen, vol. i (1896); J. Low,
Hemmabüchlein (1931); and the publication of the Congregation of
Rites, Confirmationis cultus servae Dei Hemmae ... positio (1937).]

The ancient cultus of the Countess Emma was confirmed by the Holy See
in 1938; a list supplied by the Congregation of Sacred Rites includes
her among the beatae, but she is generally called Saint.

Saint Quote:
No earthly pleasures, no kingdoms of this world can benefit me in any
way. I prefer death in Christ Jesus to power over the farthest limits
of the earth. He who died in place of us is the one object of my
quest. He who rose for our sakes is my one desire.
-- Saint Ignatius of Antioch

Bible Quote:
I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how distressed I am until
it is accomplished! (Luke 12:50)

<><><><>
A prayer to the Apostles Peter and Paul:

O holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, I choose you this day and for ever
to be my special patrons and advocates; thee, Saint Peter, Prince of
the Apostles, because thou art the Rock, upon which Almighty God hath
built His Church; thee, Saint Paul, because thou wast fore-chosen by
God as the Vessel of election and the Preacher of truth in the whole
world. Obtain for me, I pray you, lively faith, firm hope and burning
love; complete detachment from myself, contempt of the world, patience
in adversity, humility in prosperity, attention in prayer, purity of
heart, a right intention in all my works, diligence in fulfilling the
duties of my state of life, constancy in my resolutions, resignation
to the will of God and perseverance in the grace of God even unto
death; that so, by means of your intercession and your glorious
merits, I may be able to overcome the temptations of the world, the
flesh and the devil, and may be made worthy to appear before the chief
and eternal Shepherd of souls, Jesus Christ, who with the Father and
the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth for endless ages, to enjoy His
presence and love Him forever. Amen.

V. Thou shalt make them princes over all the earth,
R. They shall be mindful of Thy Name, O Lord.