-- 1 Peter 1:15-16 –

Rich

Jun 9, 2021, 2:39:03 AM6/9/21
-- 1 Peter 1:15-16 –

    But according to him that hath called you, who is holy, be you
also in all manner of conversation holy: Because it is written: You
shall be holy, for I am holy.  DRB
============
    After people commit their lives to Christ, they usually still feel
a pull back to their old ways. Peter tells us to be like our heavenly
Father--holy in everything we do. Holiness means being totally devoted
or dedicated to God, set aside for his special use and set apart from
sin and its influences. We're to be set apart and different, not
blending in with the crowd, yet not being different for the sake of
being different. What makes us different are God's qualities in our
lives. Our focus and priorities must be his. We cannot become holy on
our own, but God gives us his Holy Spirit to help us obey and to give
us power to overcome sin. Don't use the excuse that you can't help
slipping into sin. Call on God's power to free you from sin's grip.

<<>><<>><<>>
June 9th – SS Primus and Felician, Martyrs
(d. 286)

Primus and Felician were brothers, and being accused of professing the
Christian religion, during the persecution of Diocletian and Maximian,
they were thrown into irons, which an Angel broke, and they were
delivered. But being soon led again before the praetor, and as they
most earnestly clung to the Christian faith, they were separated one
from the other. The steadfastness of Felician was the first to be put
to the test in divers ways. As they who strove to persuade him into
impiety, found it hopeless to gain aught from him by words, he was
fastened hand and foot to a stake and there left to hang three days,
without either food or drink. The day after that, the praetor having
called Primus before him, thus addressed him: "Seest thou how much
wiser is thy brother, than thou art? He hath obeyed the Emperors, and
they have made him honourable. Thou hast only to follow his example to
be made partaker of his honours and favours."

Primus replied: "What hath befallen my brother, I know, for an angel
hath told me. Would to God, that seeing I have the same will that he
hath, if I were not divided from him in the same martyrdom." These words
raised the wrath of the praetor, and to the torments which he had
already inflicted on Primus, he added this also, that he had boiling
lead poured into his mouth, and this, in the presence of Felician. After
that, he had them both dragged into the amphitheatre, and two lions
let loose upon them, in presence of about twelve thousand people, who
were gathered together to see the show. The lions only fawned upon the
knees of the saints, making friends with them, caressingly moving
their heads and tails. This spectacle turned 500 persons of the
assembled crowd, together with their households, to the Christian
religion. The praetor then, moved beyond all endurance, by what had
passed, caused Primus and Felician to be beheaded with the axe.

Reflection.
A soul which truly loves God regards all things of this world as
nothing. The loss of goods, the disgrace of the world, torments,
sickness, and other afflictions are bitter to the senses, but appear
light to the one who loves God. If we cannot bear our trials with
patience and silence, it is because we love Him only in words. “One
who is slothful and lukewarm complains of everything, and calls the
lightest precepts hard,” says Thomas a Kempis.

Saint Quote:
All the martyrs are to be honored by us, but especially those whose
relics we possess. They assist us by their prayers; they preserve us
as to our bodies in this life, and receive us when we depart hence.
--Saint Maximus of Turin

<><><><>
Act of Entrustment to St. Joseph

O dearest St. Joseph, I entrust myself to you that you may always be
my father, my protector and my guide in the way of salvation. Obtain
for me a greater purity of heart and fervent love of the interior
life. After your example may I do all my actions for the greater glory
of God, in union with the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate
Heart of Mary. O Blessed St. Joseph, pray for me, that I may share in
the peace and joy of your holy death. Amen.