Made Anew

Rich

Oct 29, 2022, 4:28:00 AM10/29/22
Made Anew

"See me in these "Confessions," that you may not praise me beyond what
I am. Believe what is said of me in these, not by others but by
myself. Contemplate me in these, and see what I have been, in myself
and by myself.

For God has made us and not we ourselves. Indeed, we had destroyed
ourselves, but he who created us has made us anew."
--St. Augustine--Letter 231, 6

Prayer: Father, make me seek you, and save me from error. As I seek
you, let nothing else come in my way in place of you.
--St. Augustine--Soliloquies 1, 6

=============
• October 29th - Saint Abraham Kidunaia, and Bl. Maria

4th century.

Saint Abramius the Hermit and Blessed Maria, his niece of Mesopotamia,
lived the ascetic life in the village of Chidan, near the city of
Edessa. They were contemporaries and fellow countrymen of St. Ephraim
the Syrian (January 28), who afterwards wrote about their life. The
Lord forgave her and even granted her the gift of healing the sick

St. Abramius began his difficult exploit of the solitary life in the
prime of youth. He left his parents' home and settled in a desolate
wilderness place, far from worldly enticements, and he spent his days
in unceasing prayer. After the death of his parents, the saint refused
his inheritance and requested his relatives to give it away to the
poor. By his strict ascetic life, fasting, and love for mankind,
Abramius attracted to him many seeking after spiritual enlightenment,
prayer and blessing.

Soon his faith was put to a serious test, as he was appointed
presbyter in one of the pagan villages of Mesopotamia. For three
years, and sparing no efforts, the saint toiled over the enlightenment
of the pagans. He tore down a pagan temple and built a church. Humbly
enduring derision and even beatings from obstinate idol-worshippers,
he entreated the Lord, “Look down, O Master, upon Your servant, hear
my prayer. Strengthen me and set Your servants free from diabolical
snares, and grant them to know You, the one true God.” The zealous
pastor was granted the happiness to see the culmination of his
righteous efforts: the pagans came to believe in Jesus Christ, the Son
of God, and St. Abramius baptized them himself.

Having fulfilled his priestly duty, Abramius again withdrew into his
wilderness, where he continued to glorify God, and doing His holy
will. The devil, put to shame by the deeds of St. Abramius, tried to
entrap him with proud thoughts. Once at midnight, when St. Abramius
was at prayer in his cell, suddenly a light shone and a voice was
heard, “Blessed are you, Abramius, for no other man has done my will
as you have!” Confuting the wiles of the enemy, the saint said: “I am
a sinful man, but I trust in the help and grace of my God. I do not
fear you, and your illusions do not scare me.” Then he ordered the
devil to depart, in the name of Jesus Christ.

Another time, the devil appeared before the saint in the form of a
youth, lit a candle and began to sing Psalm 118/119,“Blessed are the
blameless in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord.” Perceiving
that this also was a demonic temptation, the Elder crossed himself and
asked, “If you know that the blameless are blessed, then why trouble
them?”

The temper answered, “I provoke them in order to conquer them and turn
them away from every good deed.” To this the saint replied, “You gain
victory over those who, like yourself, have fallen away from God. You
are forced to vanish, like smoke in the wind, from before the face of
those who love God.” After these words the devil vanished. Thus St.
Abramius defeated the Enemy, being strengthened by divine grace. After
fifty years of ascetic life, he peacefully fell asleep in the Lord.

St. Abramius's niece, the Nun Maria, grew up being edified by his
spiritual instruction. Her father died when she was seven, and so she
was raised by her saintly uncle. But the Enemy of the race of man
tried to turn her from the true path. At 27 years of age she fell into
sin with a man. Thoroughly ashamed, she left her cell, went to another
city and began to live in a brothel. Two years later, when he learned
of this, St. Abramius clad himself in soldier's garb, so that he
should not be recognized, and he went to the city to find his niece.
Pretending to be one of her “clients,” he revealed his identity once
they were alone. With many tears and exhortations, he brought her to
repentance and took her back to her cell. St. Maria returned to her
cell and spent the rest of her days in prayer and tears of repentance.

The Lord forgave her and even granted her the gift of healing the
sick. She died five years after St. Abramius.

Saint Quote:
Beside each believer stands an Angel as protector and shepherd,
leading him to life.
-- St. Basil the Great

Bible Quote
I had many things to write unto thee: but I would not by ink and pen
write to thee. 14 But I hope speedily to see thee, and we will speak
mouth to mouth. Peace be to thee. Our friends salute thee. Salute the
friends by name. (3 John 1:13-14)

<><><><>
Anima Christi:

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds, hide me.
Permit me not to be separated from Thee.
From the malignant enemy, defend me.
In the hour of my death, call me.
And bid me come to Thee,
That, with Thy saints, I may praise Thee
Forever and ever. Amen.