Dark Angel? WTF?

lab~rat >:-)

Dec 23, 2001, 8:24:05 AM12/23/01
Chicken or the egg?

http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,6861,VID-V+++226287,00.html
--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

Wouter Valentijn

Dec 25, 2001, 9:45:16 AM12/25/01

"lab~rat >:-)" <ch...@cheese.net> schreef in bericht

You can say that again!

Did some further digging. The first installment was this:

http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,7286,VID-V+++172916,00.html?

And the second:

http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,7286,VID-V+++246671,00.html?

The description of the third movie looks like they just combined the
previous two.
Our 'Dark Angel' started in 2000 I think. Using the title 'Dark Angel' might
be an attempt to milk the name.
The use of genetically engineering... Both are certainly not the first to
use the concept.

If you do a Google search, Cameron's DA is the most frequent DA that shows
up.

BTW, did you know this one?

http://www.darkangelfriday.com/pdf/poster.pdf

And as for Chameleon, that was first.

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~arnves/wwwboard/messages/528.html

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~arnves/wwwboard/index.html

But not as famous I think.

--
Wouter Valentijn.

www.zeppodunsel.nl

repo23

Dec 26, 2001, 7:44:17 AM12/26/01
In article <a0a38n$jaaqg$1...@ID-43412.news.dfncis.de>,
"Wouter Valentijn" <WouterV...@Wish.net> wrote:

> "lab~rat >:-)" <ch...@cheese.net> schreef in bericht
> > Chicken or the egg?
> > http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,6861,VID-V+++226287,00.html

> You can say that again!
> Did some further digging. The first installment was this:
> http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,7286,VID-V+++172916,00.html?
> And the second:
> http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,7286,VID-V+++246671,00.html?
> The description of the third movie looks like they just combined the
> previous two.

the first one she's a cyborg apparently - and then in the second it is
changed to being genetically modified.
and yes, the 3rd plotline is a just a rehash of the previous i believe.
sounds very crap personally.

> Our 'Dark Angel' started in 2000 I think. Using the title 'Dark Angel' might
> be an attempt to milk the name.

i somehow i doubt that very very much. the series name is Chameleon -
Dark Angel is merely the subtitle for the 3rd film.
i can't imagine a made for TV movie that sounds as bad as these do was
popular enough for anyone to ever considering using it to milk anything
from it.

> The use of genetically engineering... Both are certainly not the first to
> use the concept.

indeed - the idea has been around for years and years and years. i dunno
if he was the first, but H G Wells wrote about the idea at the start of
last century.
in fact, the whole Jeckell and Hyde story is basically genetic
engineering

> BTW, did you know this one?
> http://www.darkangelfriday.com/pdf/poster.pdf

yes - i've got that one hanging on my wall - very very nice it is too :)
:)

> And as for Chameleon, that was first.
> http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~arnves/wwwboard/messages/528.html

> But not as famous I think.

i am going ot have to try and track the Chameleon series down now as i
am curious as to what it is like - but i doubt serverly that there is
anythign more that coincidence involved regarding our Dark Angel

--
repo23 rep...@nospamplease.illitrate.co.uk
-- ---

Wouter Valentijn

Dec 26, 2001, 8:10:12 AM12/26/01

"repo23" <j...@nospampleasewerebritish.illitrate.co.uk> schreef in bericht

What I meant initially was that the people behind 'Chameleon' used 'Dark
Angel' as subtitle to milk the fame of our 'Dark Angel'. Initially that is.
There is a connection between Bobbie Phillips of 'Chameleon' and our 'Dark
Angel'.

> > The use of genetically engineering... Both are certainly not the first
> > use the concept.
>
> indeed - the idea has been around for years and years and years. i dunno
> if he was the first, but H G Wells wrote about the idea at the start of
> last century.
> in fact, the whole Jeckell and Hyde story is basically genetic
> engineering

One might go back even to Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein', or old myths like
the Golem or ... But now I'm stretching things too much.

> > BTW, did you know this one?
> > http://www.darkangelfriday.com/pdf/poster.pdf
>
> yes - i've got that one hanging on my wall - very very nice it is too :)
> :)

O yeah!

> > And as for Chameleon, that was first.
> > http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~arnves/wwwboard/messages/528.html
> > But not as famous I think.
>
> i am going ot have to try and track the Chameleon series down now as i
> am curious as to what it is like - but i doubt serverly that there is
> anythign more that coincidence involved regarding our Dark Angel

It's that Charles Eglee guy maybe.
I did some research myself for another post in this thread.

--
Wouter Valentijn.

www.zeppodunsel.nl

Wouter Valentijn

Dec 25, 2001, 1:27:47 PM12/25/01

"Wouter Valentijn" <WouterV...@Wish.net> schreef in bericht

> "lab~rat >:-)" <ch...@cheese.net> schreef in bericht
> > Chicken or the egg?

http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,6861,VID-V+++226287,00.html
> > --
> > lab~rat >:-)
> > Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

Charles Eglee is the connection I think.

But there is more:

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~arnves/wwwboard/messages/535.html

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~arnves/wwwboard/messages/617.html

This is rather funny:

http://www.darkangelcollect.com/anonftp/dark_angel_what_is_dark_angel.html

> --
> Wouter Valentijn.
>

> www.zeppodunsel.nl

lab~rat

Dec 26, 2001, 10:46:30 AM12/26/01
On Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:44:17 +0000, repo23
<j...@nospampleasewerebritish.illitrate.co.uk> puked:

I watched part of number 2 and it was, well, number 2. The lead girl
was ok looking, but no one in the show could act.

lab~rat

Dec 26, 2001, 10:48:45 AM12/26/01
On Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:10:12 +0100, "Wouter Valentijn"
<WouterV...@Wish.net> puked:

I was thinking that it was a shout out to Cameron letting him know
that they thought he lifted their idea. Maybe Chameleon 3 was in
production when DA came out, and they tagged it with the DA just to
draw attention to the trilogy?

MOTAR the imperious

Dec 26, 2001, 11:20:58 AM12/26/01
On Wed, 26 Dec 2001 10:46:30 -0500, lab~rat <ch...@cheese.net> wrote:

>I watched part of number 2 and it was, well, number 2. The lead girl
>was ok looking, but no one in the show could act.
>--
>lab~rat >:-)

There is nothing original about the "Dark Angel" concepts. "Dark
Angel" is different because it has many of Cameron's production
values. If you were to break down the show you would find that pieces
here and pieces there are pulled from other creative ideas that he has
absorbed over the years and it was most likely unintentional. You
would be amazed at how 2 different creators can come up with
remarkably similar ideas without even knowing the other person
existed.

Go create your own original concepts, put them on paper and watch the
news for a year without telling anyone about it. You will feel like
dozens of people are stealing your ideas and they wouldn't even know
you exist. This kind of paranoia is normal but ocassionally people do
steal ideas so an owner of a property does have to be careful.

Mti

MOTAR's home site:
http://www.angelfire.com/rock/motar/index.html

CindyLover1969

Dec 26, 2001, 4:06:46 PM12/26/01
repo23 <j...@nospampleasewerebritish.illitrate.co.uk> wrote in message news:<jai-6D6175.1...@news6b-win.server.ntlworld.com>...

> > ("lab~rat >:-)"/"Wouter Valentin"/repo23 discussion snipped)

> i am going ot have to try and track the Chameleon series down now as i
> am curious as to what it is like - but i doubt serverly that there is
> anythign more that coincidence involved regarding our Dark Angel

Sky MovieMax will be showing "Chameleon 3: Dark Angel" soon (they've
already shown the other two films as well, but I wouldn't be surprised
if all three movies are on video).

Who else remembers Bobbie Phillips (the chameleon in question) from
"The Cape" and "Murder One"?

CindyLover

Wouter Valentijn

Dec 27, 2001, 8:57:45 AM12/27/01

"CindyLover1969" <cindylo...@yahoo.co.uk> schreef in bericht

I remember her from 'The Cape'.
She was okay I guess, but absolutely brilliant? Not IMO.

She was also in an ep of the 'X-Files' (the one with the insects).
She looked better there. There was some kind of flirt between her (Bambi in
that ep I think) and Mulder, but she ended up with another scientist.

--
Wouter Valentijn.

www.zeppodunsel.nl

Wouter Valentijn

Dec 27, 2001, 8:59:03 AM12/27/01

"lab~rat" <ch...@cheese.net> schreef in bericht

That could very well be the case.

> --
> lab~rat >:-)
> Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

--
Wouter Valentijn.

www.zeppodunsel.nl

Daz

Dec 27, 2001, 9:09:55 AM12/27/01
> > Sky MovieMax will be showing "Chameleon 3: Dark Angel" soon (they've
> > already shown the other two films as well, but I wouldn't be surprised
> > if all three movies are on video).
> >
> > Who else remembers Bobbie Phillips (the chameleon in question) from
> > "The Cape" and "Murder One"?
>
> I remember her from 'The Cape'.
> She was okay I guess, but absolutely brilliant? Not IMO.
>
> She was also in an ep of the 'X-Files' (the one with the insects).
> She looked better there. There was some kind of flirt between her (Bambi
in
> that ep I think) and Mulder, but she ended up with another scientist.

IIRC she was also in an ep of Stargate SG-1, where O'Neill got infected with
something or other, and became really old.

Daz

Wouter Valentijn

Dec 27, 2001, 11:08:59 AM12/27/01

"Daz" <dwicklo...@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

Yes indeed.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/5210/tv_starg.html

--
Wouter Valentijn

www.zeppodunsel.nl

GPumpkin

Dec 28, 2001, 1:48:52 PM12/28/01

"Wouter Valentijn" <WouterV...@Wish.net> wrote in message

And while it is embarrassing to mention, she was also in Showgirls...

MOTAR the imperious

Dec 28, 2001, 9:04:28 PM12/28/01
On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 13:48:52 -0500, "GPumpkin" <aplu...@usa.net>
wrote:

>And while it is embarrassing to mention, she was also in Showgirls...

Showgirls = Gina Gershon

Wow.... Gina!

MOTAR the imperious

SiR.B

Dec 29, 2001, 12:11:49 AM12/29/01

MOTAR the imperious <mo...@motar.corn> wrote in message

> On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 13:48:52 -0500, "GPumpkin" <aplu...@usa.net>
> wrote:
>
> >And while it is embarrassing to mention, she was also in Showgirls...
>

> Showgirls = Gina Gershon
>
> Wow.... Gina!
>
> MOTAR the imperious

Ewww, motar is interested in inter-species relations, ewwww!
Get away from our chicks ya big tentacled potato!

SiR.B

MOTAR the imperious

Dec 29, 2001, 12:58:33 AM12/29/01
On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 16:11:49 +1100, "SiR.B" <Si...@dont.spam.me.bitch>
wrote:

Sexy is sexy. You should see our planet's women...

Mti

christopher n denner

Jan 2, 2002, 12:53:28 AM1/2/02
The Chameleon saga began as a Tuesday Night UPN movie years ago (the year
before 7 Days started). I believe it was in fact the second UPN movie they
made, following a semi-decent, but forgotten MOW with Robert Hays.

Chameleon...

In the first one, KAM (bobbie phillips) played a geneticall engineered 98%
human, that was spliced with a little cougar, jaguar and chameleon rounding
out the rest. KAM was basically a sweet lady with the intelligence of your
average C- Highschool student, and the emotions of a 10 year old. She had
super sensitive senses, healing factor and of course could turn invisible.
She was created and trained by a secret underground organization to become a
killing machine, sneak into places, hunt down people, seduce men for
whatever reason, etc... When she was ordered to kill a group of freedom
fighters (though she was obviously told that they were the badguys), she
stumbles on to the orphaned son of the 2 main FF leaders. When told she
must kill the kid, she has second thoughts and takes off with him,
eventually becoming his bodyguard. Long story short, she's being tracked,
gets into fights, becomes the mother figure, starts to understand how her
life was mislead, has 3 gratuitous non-nude sex scenes, makes her way back
to the secret agency and dukes it out with her creator. --Pretty good.

Then comes Chameleon 2: Sudden Death. The entire cast from the first flick
is gone, and now KAM is a tough girl working at the agency (the same one
that trained her to kill people and then tried to kill her!?!?!). Her
background info and story was altered, and the MOW became on of those
Buddy-Cop cliched stories where KAM has to join with the new rookie to show
him the ropes, but doesn't want to because the writers can't think of
anything better to come up with. They make it to some building to go
undercover and sooner than later it turns into a poor person's diehard
clone. Much neater and standard production values, with some goofy gimmicks
and special effects, and that's that. Bobbie's really the ONLY reason to
watch this one.

The Chameleon 3: Dark Angel. Now for some reason, KAM's background it
changed yet AGAIN. She's a tough as nails bitch that doesn't listen to
reason, wears all black, and goes around shooting people. Gets a lot more
violent than the other two, and society it really gritty now. The story is
so weak that you'll give up on it in 20 minutes. All New cast AGAIN, except
Bobbie. Turns out that the secret agency created a black hole that could
suck the universe up in a spilt second, and captured it in a little metal
baseball and some evil doer wants to steal. VERY BAD IDEA for a movie, I
know. But it gets worse... turns out that the Evil Doer's number 1
henchgoon is none other than KAM's long lost genetically engineered brother.
Bad, very bad.

Anyway... the series started off really good with the first one. Better than
you would expect for a UPN movie of the week. But it went downhill fast.
But to clear up the Dark Angel confusion, the Chameleon movies aired once a
year for 3 years. Chameleon: Dark Angel actually originally premiered about
9 months BEFORE Dark Angel. So when you take in the time when Cham 3 went
into effect (and eventually aired), they could not have known about the Fox
Dark Angel.

For those interested, the Sci-Fi channel got the rights to all 3 movies over
the passed year, and generally show at least one of them every 3 months. So
you might want to check it out. ... well... maybe just the first one.

In article <1lmb2uoq78io2ga3h...@4ax.com>, "lab~rat >:-)"