Jello Biafra Cancels Israel Gig

Dan Clore

Jun 30, 2011, 6:25:51 PM6/30/11

http://www.thejc.com/news/israel-news/50946/jello-biafra-cancels-israel-gig-attacks-boycotters
Jello Biafra cancels Israel gig but attacks boycotters
By Jennifer Lipman
June 29, 2011

The former lead singer of the Dead Kennedys has pulled out of a planned
concert in Tel Aviv this weekend, but says he will still go to Israel.

Jello Biafra, who was set to play in Tel Aviv for the first time on July
2 with his band the Guantanamo School of Medicine, said the cancellation
absolutely did not mean he or his band were endorsing or joining a
boycott of Israel.

Instead he delivered a blistering attack on the boycott, divestment and
sanctions groups, including one called "Punks Against Apartheid", who
campaigned for him to cancel.

He also said he refused to be "a poodle for Hasbara, Peace Now, BDS or
anyone else"

Mr Biafra said he would still go to Israel and Palestine "to check
things out myself" and may yet change his mind about his decision.

He said his only intention in going to Israel had been to do some good,
and criticised those who attempted to stop him.

"What about the people on the same side of the human rights fence we
are, who now don't get to see us play?" asked the punk star. "Should
they be boycotted too?

"I've been doing this long enough to know better than buy into hardline
absolutes such as playing in Israel automatically supports apartheid or
Israel's government. That threat is ridiculous."

He condemned the way in which discussion about playing in Israel had
descended into a "childish bickerfest" from both Palestinian and Israeli
groups, and noted that many of the "Punks Against Apartheid" petition
signatories had no idea who he was.

He added: "I can't back anyone whose real goal or fantasy is a country
ethnically cleansed of Jews or anyone else, where people who think for
themselves or talk to the wrong person are automatically a sellout."

"Speaking personally, I currently favour two democratic states in the
admittedly naive hope that in our lifetime they can somehow evolve into
one."

--
Dan Clore

http://tinyurl.com/yd3bxkw