Train Errors in Octopussy

Danny B

Mar 16, 2003, 3:06:05 AM3/16/03
To a trainhead like me, the train chase sequence in Octopussy is just full
of railway-related errors.

1) All of the carriages on Octopussy's circuis train are British

2) When Bond knocks over the barrels, the locomotive seen in the background
is British

3) What an amazing coicidence that the Mercedes' wheels fit the tracks,
especially when you consider that the average wheelbase width on a car is
four feet, and that the track width used in Germany is 4 feet 81/2 inches

4) The locomotive that send's Bond's car into the lake is British, but it
has had a headlight put on the front of it to make it look British

5) Trains use a Westinghouse braking system, which requires constant
pressure through the brake lines to keep the brakes _off_. This is designed
so that if there is a break in the brake line, then the entire train will
come screeching to a stop. However, when Gobinda cuts the brake line, the
train keeps going.

Till Neumann

Mar 16, 2003, 4:37:49 AM3/16/03
Hi Danny,

Danny B schrieb/wrote

> To a trainhead like me, the train chase sequence in Octopussy is just full
> of railway-related errors.

the whole film is full of errors, not only the railway-related scenes
:-)

> 1) All of the carriages on Octopussy's circuis train are British

Well, we had this subject several times on de.etc.bahn.historisch
(dealing with railways and their historical background). Agreement
there was that the train was quite "continental" looking because the
Nene Valley RR where this was filmed has quite a collection of
classical "continental" cars. I must admit though I'd consider myself
somewhat of a railway buff I never got into the finer details of the
cars, so I cannot really comment on this. Looked ok and colourful
enough for a privately-owned circus train to me.

The engine marked 62 015 (which is the number of a real,
still-existing Deutsche Reichsbahn loco from the 62 series) is in fact
a Danish S-740 made to look like the German one. Quite successfully,
except for the little snow-plough-like gadgets meant to clear the
tracks in front of the first axle (I don't know what the official term
is in English). Those are typically Danish.

> 3) What an amazing coicidence that the Mercedes' wheels fit the tracks,
> especially when you consider that the average wheelbase width on a car is
> four feet, and that the track width used in Germany is 4 feet 81/2 inches

The Russians have a wider track on their railways. Maybe they also
have a wider track on their Mercedes... No, in fact you're wrong about
the wheelbase width on the car. The present MB E-class for instance
has 1559 millimeters, so the old 1970s S-class may well have been
somewhere around the 1435 millimeters which equal 4 ft 8 1/2 in.

> 5) Trains use a Westinghouse braking system, which requires constant
> pressure through the brake lines to keep the brakes _off_. This is designed
> so that if there is a break in the brake line, then the entire train will
> come screeching to a stop. However, when Gobinda cuts the brake line, the
> train keeps going.

Yes, but doesn't it make for a whole lot more action and suspense the
other way round :-)?

Till

--
"Aristotle was not Belgian, the principle of Buddhism is not 'every
man for himself', and the London Underground is not a political

Bones

Mar 16, 2003, 1:01:35 PM3/16/03
And the level crossing has British signals!

Bones
www.bondquiz.com

"Danny B" <tbd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Bondee

Mar 16, 2003, 1:25:18 PM3/16/03

"Danny B" <tbd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 4) The locomotive that send's Bond's car into the lake is British, but it
> has had a headlight put on the front of it to make it look British

Huh?

It *is* British but it's had a headlight put on the front to make it *look*
British?

Typo?

Vince

Mar 16, 2003, 4:22:08 PM3/16/03
In article <NLidnax2peH...@brightview.com>, "Bones"
<bo...@KILLSPAMbag-of-noses.co.uk> writes:

>And the level crossing has British signals!

Ok lets not get railroaded over this.
Vince
Check it out
www.holvbphoto.com

Vince

Mar 16, 2003, 4:22:09 PM3/16/03
In article <3e743...@news.brisbane.pipenetworks.com>, "Danny B"
<tbd...@hotmail.com> writes:

>To a trainhead like me, the train chase sequence in Octopussy is just full
>of railway-related errors.

Very good Danny. As a photographer I always look for photo errors on TV shows
and in movies and as a computer person for over thirty years ditto.

Don't you love all these different operating systems they use and oh please
that SPIKE nonsense in GE? C'mon.
Had to laugh in the pilot for WOO's TV show "Once a Thief" the top secret data
was on a 3 1/2 standard diskette, not a CD, hellooo in 2002?

Peter Morris

Mar 16, 2003, 8:29:20 PM3/16/03

"Till Neumann" <spam...@neubrich.de> wrote in message

> Hi Danny,
>
> Danny B schrieb/wrote
> > To a trainhead like me, the train chase sequence in Octopussy is just
full
> > of railway-related errors.
>
> the whole film is full of errors, not only the railway-related scenes
> :-)

I particularly like the way Rog changes into clown costume and
makeup in about 30 seconds.

dan_gale

Mar 17, 2003, 4:38:45 AM3/17/03

And what about the English actor they used to play James Bond, a character
raised in Scotland, born in Germany (read John Pearson's James Bond: A
Biography) For shame. :)

Vince <holvb...@cs.com> wrote in message

Mike Edwards

Mar 17, 2003, 4:41:58 AM3/17/03
And Goldeneye. The Soviets obviously used British class 20 shunting engines
with bits of fibreglass stuck on them to drag their mobile missile trains
around during the cold war.....

Mike

(No, not an anorak. The engine and driver are from a local museum, and were
in the local paper when it was being filmed. OK, perhaps a bit of an
anorak.).

Jay Vonbriel

Mar 17, 2003, 9:58:43 AM3/17/03
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:06:05 +1000, "Danny B" <tbd...@hotmail.com>
said:

>To a trainhead like me, the train chase sequence in Octopussy is just full
>of railway-related errors.

This just really goes to show you that you can't please an expert in a
certain topic. If Octopussy were meant to be a documentary on trains,
you'd have a beef. But to expect the producers to find Russian
trains..etc just to please those small number of train fans that see
the film is unrealistic.

I think the worse errors are the ones you don't need to be an expert
to see. Those are less excusable. However, people who are experts
tend to love to flout their knowledge by getting disgruntled over
small things. Guess it makes them feel superior.

jay

gonzo

Mar 18, 2003, 10:37:05 PM3/18/03

"Danny B" <tbd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> To a trainhead like me, the train chase sequence in Octopussy is just full
> of railway-related errors.
>
> 1) All of the carriages on Octopussy's circuis train are British
they could have had them imported, many old british steam engines were sold
abroad when we got rid of steam.

> 2) When Bond knocks over the barrels, the locomotive seen in the
background
> is British
see above.

> 3) What an amazing coicidence that the Mercedes' wheels fit the tracks,
> especially when you consider that the average wheelbase width on a car is
> four feet, and that the track width used in Germany is 4 feet 81/2 inches
perhaps it was specially modified by a mad russian general to chase people
along a train line if needs be.

> 4) The locomotive that send's Bond's car into the lake is British, but it
> has had a headlight put on the front of it to make it look British
or maybe the headlight put on it was there because it was a british train?

> 5) Trains use a Westinghouse braking system, which requires constant
> pressure through the brake lines to keep the brakes _off_. This is
designed
> so that if there is a break in the brake line, then the entire train will
> come screeching to a stop. However, when Gobinda cuts the brake line, the
> train keeps going.
perhaps they were faulty... damn i cant explain that one.
cheers
james

driecy...@msn.com

Dec 12, 2018, 10:17:25 AM12/12/18
Track width (not wheelbase!) of a Mercedes Benz W108 is 4.856 Feet at the front and 4.875 at the Rear

edrh...@hotmail.com

Aug 26, 2019, 9:47:58 AM8/26/19
(Quote)
I particularly like the way Rog changes into clown costume and
makeup in about 30 seconds.
(End Quote)

The thing that got me was not how fast he changed, but the fact that he changed into EXACTLY the same clown outfit as the "00" that was killed in the opening! What? Does the "00" section have a training section on how to turn yourself into a clown, should the occasion warrant?

edrh...@hotmail.com

Aug 26, 2019, 12:00:12 PM8/26/19
I can see Sheldon in "Big Bang Theory," snapping the TV off when he sees the train!