Another Morse tonight

cynara

May 20, 2002, 2:46:07 PM5/20/02
Thanks for the wonderful feedback on last week's Morse that aired on
BBC America.

I don't which one just yet...but if you get BBC America, there's
another Morse on tonight.

Here....let me pour you another pint all, and let's sit back and check
out the Morse epi for tonight. Then later, perhaps tomorrow, over
another pint, we can once more have intelligent conversation on it.

CHEERS!
CY

"From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were--I have not seen
As others saw."
E.A. Poe

cynara

May 21, 2002, 8:58:39 AM5/21/02
cyn...@excite.com (cynara) wrote in message news:<e5f12ec5.02052...@posting.google.com>...

> Thanks for the wonderful feedback on last week's Morse that aired on
> BBC America.
>
> I don't which one just yet...but if you get BBC America, there's
> another Morse on tonight.

It was the Secret of Bay 5b

This one is my least fave of the telly episodes. Don't like it from
frame one and I couldn't tell you why. I thought the telly version of
Way Through The Woods was the worst, but I'd obviously blocked this
one out. My humble apologies to those of you who like this
episode--it IS Morse, afterall.
I do enjoy the novel of The Secret of Annex Three. Very twisty-turny
and I liked the end.

BBC America's website (www.bbcamerica.com) has been having a poll for
the most popular British detective. Morse won hands down. The
results are there as well as a film clip of Morse in action. check it
out and NO! I don't work for BBC America! LOL. They just have more
mystery things going on these days.

Where is everyone? Herman? Rich? Gwen? HELLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I
know Mr. Underwood is out there, and a few other regulars.

CHEERS!
CY

Unknown

May 21, 2002, 5:16:33 PM5/21/02
cyn...@excite.com (cynara) wrote:

>It was the Secret of Bay 5b
>
>This one is my least fave of the telly episodes. Don't like it from
>frame one and I couldn't tell you why. I thought the telly version of
>Way Through The Woods was the worst, but I'd obviously blocked this
>one out. My humble apologies to those of you who like this
>episode--it IS Morse, afterall.
>I do enjoy the novel of The Secret of Annex Three. Very twisty-turny
>and I liked the end.

I've only watched half of it, and I'm already confused over who the
blond woman is. Is she the high-class prsotitute, or is she a
different character?

Good thing I taped it! I need to sit down and watch it through again!

More later!

Unknown

May 21, 2002, 6:55:14 PM5/21/02
cyn...@excite.com (cynara) wrote:

>cyn...@excite.com (cynara) wrote in message news:<e5f12ec5.02052...@posting.google.com>...
>> Thanks for the wonderful feedback on last week's Morse that aired on
>> BBC America.
>>
>> I don't which one just yet...but if you get BBC America, there's
>> another Morse on tonight.
>>

>It was the Secret of Bay 5b

OKAY . . . . Then, *W*H*O* killed Gifford, and why? It seems ot me
that at the enbd of the story, all you know is who killed Henderson,
and who *might* have killed Gifford?

Who killed him?

And what the heck for?

And I know why the killer took the parking lot stub, but I still don't
know why anybody would take the keys to Gifford's car? And where did
the keys end up? And why?

Help! Help!

Ernest

May 22, 2002, 10:37:28 AM5/22/02
<That Certain Third Doctor Fan> wrote in message

I would love to help but I fell asleep just before the end. Grrr. I couldn't
keep the names straight but it looked as though it was the game warden that
was the killer -he was married to the blonde I think, and the guy who hung
himself was blackmailing somebody but I couldn't figure out who -and the game
warden found the letters by accident (???) which is why he probably killed
the man in the BMW.

Like I said though, I missed the end so I'm just making guesses. Why did the
killer take the parking stub?

E.

MzGwenny

May 22, 2002, 11:09:56 AM5/22/02
I am here. Trying to keep warm as our desert has turned cold. I liked Way
thru the Woods but Bay 5b was not a fav of mine either. It was too mixed up.
It is easier to understand if you have the video. They edit so much out of
these on tv. I have only read 2 of the books, and don't care for them. I find
no comparison between the book Morse and the tv Morse. I also miss the lovely
music and scenery. Thaw did a wonderful job of giving Morse some humanity.
Now I am going to join the blue eyed gent by the fire. What is he drinking?
He looks lonely.
Gwen

Unknown

May 22, 2002, 12:36:34 PM5/22/02
"Ernest" <erne...@attbi.NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>I would love to help but I fell asleep just before the end. Grrr. I couldn't
>keep the names straight but it looked as though it was the game warden that
>was the killer -he was married to the blonde I think, and the guy who hung
>himself was blackmailing somebody but I couldn't figure out who -and the game
>warden found the letters by accident (???) which is why he probably killed
>the man in the BMW.
>
>Like I said though, I missed the end so I'm just making guesses. Why did the
>killer take the parking stub?
>
>E.

SPOILER ALERT

The killer switched the parking stubs so that it looked like Gifford
entered the garage later than he did (and therefore it looked like he
had been killed later than he was actualyl killed).

I'm still left with these questions:

WHO actually killed Gifford?
WHY was Gifford killed?
WHY did the killer take Gifford's keys?
WHY was Henderson driving around town with a gun? What did he ever do
with it? (Gifford was strangled.)

Help! Help! Help!

cynara

May 22, 2002, 3:02:16 PM5/22/02
"Ernest" <erne...@attbi.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<I2OG8.57102$L76.75940@rwcrnsc53>...

ROFL!! Ah, the pub is lively again and guess what, boys. I'm gonna
treat you all to a pint while we puzzle over the puzzle that is
supposed to be clear as mud.

May I throw in a bit of trivia? It was written by Alma Cullen who is
the only woman to write a Morse screenplay.

I know who dunnit in the novel, but am flummoxed as to who killed who
for what, and why did the killer take the stub--anyone out who can
help us??

CY (hic-cup) Another pint!!

Unknown

May 22, 2002, 3:45:39 PM5/22/02
cyn...@excite.com (cynara) wrote:

>ROFL!! Ah, the pub is lively again and guess what, boys. I'm gonna
>treat you all to a pint while we puzzle over the puzzle that is
>supposed to be clear as mud.
>
>May I throw in a bit of trivia? It was written by Alma Cullen who is
>the only woman to write a Morse screenplay.
>
>I know who dunnit in the novel, but am flummoxed as to who killed who
>for what, and why did the killer take the stub--anyone out who can
>help us??

Lois

Jan 16, 2016, 8:51:14 PM1/16/16
My husband and I were also bewildered by this episode, and so I went on a long Google search to find some help. My only pleasure was to find all of you here so bewildered too. The main pleasures of the series have to do with the personalities, and that was especially true this time. The conjecture that some important material was edited out is indeed possible.

As far as the car keys go, I believe it was stated in the program that Manley, the blond from the insurance company and Mrs. Henderson's new lover, left the keys in Mr. Henderson's cabin by accident. (Perhaps he has just killed Mr. Henderson, but that is part of the unwanted mystery of this episode - no one can figure it out.) He couldn't get into his blue or black Jaguar, and had to jog away. He called Mrs. Henderson to drop off the keys at a designated point. Lewis follows her, and picks up the keys instead, so that later Morse can switch them with his own spare set. I still don't know much about the murders. It seems as though Mrs. Henderson and Manley are responsible for both, but I'm not sure why - perhaps it's because of the threats from Gifford (I don't exactly remember the contents of his letters). The motive for killing Henderson is mysterious, although he always looks threatening. (Or was it a suicide that his wife drove him to?) Then, although Pierce, who commits suicide, seems to be a false lead to Gifford's murder, wasn't there evidence of picture hanging cord around Gifford's neck? That certainly seems to point to Pierce, who hated Gifford for a variety of reasons. So I am also mystified about who killed anybody. One of the better episodes regarding the characters, and one of the worse ones for plot. We watch the program for the characters, but would like to have some clarity. I have not found a good explanation of this plot anywhere online.

lois.p...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2016, 9:16:39 PM1/16/16
I would like to change something in my previous post, but I'm not familiar with this page, so I'm not sure where to put the change or new post. As I'm posting 13 years after Cynara's post, I guess it doesn't much matter. But my husband and I have just seen this program in New York on CUNY TV, channel 75, and I had an error in my previous post.

My husband reminds me that Manley says that he killed Henderson, that it was an accident resulting from a fight. The whole thing is still unclear to me: Was he telling the truth? But anyway, it was not a suicide.

Anyway, I am very happy that no one anywhere online seems to have understood this episode, except for some who claim that they enjoyed the plot. Yet none of those people explained the plot in any way. Most of the complaints about the plot that I found are here, but there are several elsewhere.