TV Show Ratings & More

Ken Staggers

Jul 11, 1992, 8:45:58 PM7/11/92
From Electronic Media 7/6/92

Top variety/comedy/music shows from May 1992

Markets/Coverage Rating/Share
1- Star Search 165/93% 3.9/12
2- Howard Stern Show 31/44% 3.5/10
3- Roggins Heroes 156/86% 3.4/11
4- Hee Haw 124/63% 3.3/9
5- Its Showtime at the Apollo 85/70% 3.0/11
6- Soul Train 66/59% 2.5/9
7- Candid Camera 93/59% 2.4/9
8- 2nd Generation 15/25% 2.1/7
9- Benny Hill Show 12/12% 1.4/3
10- Byron Allen Show 111/71% 1.3/8

Source: Nielsen Media Research's May 1992 Cassandra Ranking Report

Wow...I didnt realize that Howard was on so FEW stations. You would have
thought from the net that it would have been more. I guess most people
are getting Howard from cable WWOR.

--Ken

ronald.h.davis

Jul 11, 1992, 9:15:22 PM7/11/92
In article <1992Jul12....@news.acns.nwu.edu> stag...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Ken Staggers) writes:
>Wow...I didnt realize that Howard was on so FEW stations. You would have
>thought from the net that it would have been more. I guess most people
>are getting Howard from cable WWOR.

i don't think that wwor has much to do with it. a local station could
carry stern and *block* airing of the show on wwor in their market.
i think it has a lot more to do with the content of stern's show and the
fact that tv stations in a lot of markets might find the show a bit too
controversial to carry. recall the bit ado over a cable system in the south
that did not want to carry mtv; and stern's show is certainly more "shocking"
than anything you're going to see on mtv.

furthermore, a lot of areas don't carry wwor. for instance, columbus ohio
dropped it last year. and their not carried in winston-salem nc either. it
seems that in many areas cable operators pick up wgn instead. as both stations
have similar progamming formats you don't typically see both in the same
market. since wgn is a chicago station i wonder why they don't carry:

*** "this week in joe's basement" ***

address for correspondence:
this week in joe's basement
suite 230
1448 east 52nd street
chicago il 60615

--
__ ______ __ / __/ | at&t bell laboratories, naperville il, usa
_/ (_(_) / (_(_/_/_(_/ . att!ixstar!ronald

no...@umbc1.umbc.edu

Jul 11, 1992, 11:40:00 PM7/11/92
Hmmm, I guess I never realized how good I had it at home

Jones Intercable for Cahrles County, Maryland, carries WWOR, WGN, and
WFTY (An independent station in Washington DC)
What is really wild is that WWOR is channel 12 and WFTY is 23--and both
show Hward at the same time. Its interesting that while both start at the same
time, by the end they are almost 3 minutes apart. Its kind of cool to watch
the "first" one (normally WWOR) and use WFTY as "instant replay" for things I
could not beleive on the first viewing. Or I watch the slow one and just jump
over to the first one to skip some commercials.
So why the time difference? WFTY occasionally cuts out a live
commercial from the show and adds more of their own. I also think WFTY stuffs
in more regular commercials. Can anyone with both WWOr and a local at the same
time check to see what is added/cut out?

ronald.h.davis

Jul 12, 1992, 2:35:21 AM7/12/92
In article <12JUL92....@umbc1.umbc.edu> no...@umbc1.umbc.edu writes:
>in more regular commercials. Can anyone with both WWOr and a local at the
>same time check to see what is added/cut out?

here in chicago stern is shown on wwor and a local station wgbo with the local
broadcast starting 30 minutes later. my observation, however, is that wwor
sometimes edits stuff out that wgbo includes. for instance, i saw a stuttering
john interview with valerie harper in which the wgbo broadcast continued the
interview past the point were the wwor broadcast broke for a commercial (i
believe it was a "spokesmodel" commercial). i've noticed this same phenomenon
on one other stern broadcast. it may occur more often but i usually don't
watch both broadcasts. in fact, i'd personally prefer if wgbo would show:

David Kahn

Jul 19, 1992, 7:54:14 AM7/19/92

Having moved to S.F. Bay area 2 1/2 years ago after spending most
of my natural life in NYC, I watch HS TV show on KBHK, bay area channel 44,
which on cable systems, comes in on channel 12 -- it's about as close as
you can get to WPIX or WWOR in NYC. (lots of movies, Star Trek - TNG, Arsenio,
etc, etc) My cable system gets WTBS (of course) and WGN (Chicago)
-- no WWOR.

Here, the show is on at 12 Midnight, Saturday night. SNL now starts at
11:00 here, since the local CBS (KPIX) and NBC (KRON) S.F. stations
decided to (stupidly, IMHO) move back their network prime time to 7:00 - 10:00.
The local ABC station (KGO) retained prime time from 8:00 - 11:00.
H.S. is up against the last 1/2 hour of SNL and some terrific programs
like American Gladiators :-)

I'm reasonably certain I'm only one of about 5 or 6 people that watches
the show here in the bay area. (though now that the radio show's in LA,
I'm waiting for it go North -- probably a futile wait, though. The bay area's
not ready for HS and morning radio really sucks here.)

-David

Paul Flaherty

Jul 20, 1992, 2:56:21 PM7/20/92
d...@noho.Eng.Sun.COM (David Kahn) writes:

>I'm reasonably certain I'm only one of about 5 or 6 people that watches
>the show here in the bay area. (though now that the radio show's in LA,
>I'm waiting for it go North -- probably a futile wait, though. The bay area's
>not ready for HS and morning radio really sucks here.)

Make that n+1. I saw it once by accident a few weeks ago, and was pleasantly
suprised to find it again this past weekend.

Yeah, Bay Area radio is tame, even by Midwestern standards.

--
-=Paul Flaherty, N9FZX/5W1JX |"Anyway, nothing can beat Good Old American
->pa...@Stanford.EDU | Know - How." -- Harry Canyon, _Heavy Metal_

Hinkmond Wong

Jul 20, 1992, 5:01:41 PM7/20/92

> I'm reasonably certain I'm only one of about 5 or 6 people that watches

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm the number two of the 5 or 6 people here in the Bay Area who watch HS on
TV44. I've tried to explain the premise of the show to some local people,
but they don't seem to get the humor. Although, sometimes Howard loses his
humor with me, too. Did anyone see "Gag-again's Island"? I tried to laugh
but some parts were just kinda stupid. Fred was a good Professor, though.

> the show here in the bay area. (though now that the radio show's in LA,
> I'm waiting for it go North -- probably a futile wait, though. The bay area's
> not ready for HS and morning radio really sucks here.)

Yep. Ditto. San Francisco can get pretty uptight about it's political
correctness sometimes. But, I still think we need Howard here to shake things
up.

+ Hinkmond Wong Internet: hink...@igor.tamri.com +
+ Software Engineer Phone: (415) 872-2722 x3328 +
+ Toshiba America MRI, Inc. FAX: (415) 875-2915 +
+ So. San Francisco, CA 94080 +

Terence Mark

Jul 21, 1992, 1:45:47 AM7/21/92
In article <HINKMOND.92...@igor.tamri.com> hink...@tamri.com (Hinkmond Wong) writes:

>humor with me, too. Did anyone see "Gag-again's Island"? I tried to laugh
>but some parts were kinda stupid.

-----------------

Yes. This last show really sucked. Gag-again's island was totally
workmanlike. Almost nothing funny about this show, except for stuttering
john and maybe Bob Denver's patheticness.

Jacko

Jul 21, 1992, 11:19:34 AM7/21/92

I agree, that show sucked. The best part of the show, apart from the penis
festival in Japan, was Baba-Booey's appearance in the monkey suit in
Gag-again's Island. I was in stitches.

I believe there is one more new show being broadcast on august 1st.

Jacko.

Kevin Kretz

Jul 22, 1992, 1:26:24 PM7/22/92

Comedy Central, the comedy network, has a comedy news segment
in its Short Attention Span Theater. Today they announced the
cancellation of the TV show, but also mentioned the upcoming movie

*** AND ***

new cities for the radio show! Including:
Cleveland
Dallas
Chicago
San Francisco

and a couple more that I couldn't remember. Anyone receiving
this group have a local radio station on the Infinity network? Maybe
that doesn't matter - the LA station isn't one, I think.

Kevin

Tim Bradley

Jul 22, 1992, 4:50:43 PM7/22/92
From article <HINKMOND.92...@igor.tamri.com>, by hink...@tamri.com (Hinkmond Wong):

>> I'm reasonably certain I'm only one of about 5 or 6 people that watches
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

> I'm the number two of the 5 or 6 people here in the Bay Area who watch HS on

Add myself and about five friends of mine that are all Howard Stern
fans. I think that the TV44 airing of the show gets many more viewers
than you believe.

- Tim

Tim Bradley

Jul 22, 1992, 6:23:22 PM7/22/92
From article <Jul.22.13.26....@remus.rutgers.edu>, by kr...@remus.rutgers.edu (Kevin Kretz):

When? What stations? This is great news...I'm a Howard Stern fan and
have never heard his radio show. If anybody knows where and when the
show will start in the San Francisco Area please let us left-coasters
know.

Steve A. Feinstein

Jul 23, 1992, 1:54:50 AM7/23/92
In article <Jul.22.13.26....@remus.rutgers.edu> kr...@remus.rutgers.edu (Kevin Kretz) writes:

> Comedy Central, the comedy network, has a comedy news segment
>in its Short Attention Span Theater. Today they announced the
>cancellation of the TV show, but also mentioned the upcoming movie
>
> *** AND ***
>
> new cities for the radio show! Including:
>Cleveland
>Dallas
>Chicago
>San Francisco
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can anyone confirm this, anyone got an Idea on a time frame....
Ooooooooooh I can't wait!

--
Steve A. Feinstein | s...@netcom.com | Now's your chance. I'm currently
360 Cowper Street #9 | (415) 326-8224 | available for employment. If your

Scott Barman

Jul 24, 1992, 11:24:22 AM7/24/92

Howard had mentioned Miami and Detroit on the radio not too long ago.
I don't know if it was mention on Comedy Central since my cable co. stinks
and we don't get it.
--
scott barman | <This space intentionally left blank>
sc...@asd.com |

Mark Guidotti

Jul 28, 1992, 12:56:11 AM7/28/92
In article <1992Jul24.1...@asd.com> sc...@asd.com (Scott Barman) writes:
>In article <Jul.22.13.26....@remus.rutgers.edu> kr...@remus.rutgers.edu (Kevin Kretz) writes:
>> *** AND ***
>>
>> new cities for the radio show! Including:
>>Cleveland
>>Dallas
>>Chicago
>>San Francisco
>>
>> and a couple more that I couldn't remember. Anyone receiving
>>this group have a local radio station on the Infinity network? Maybe
>>that doesn't matter - the LA station isn't one, I think.

In the SF bay area, Infinity owns KOME-98.5. KOME is a 50KW FM licensed
to San Jose. The signal is heard in SF but not all over the SF ADI.
For example, in the suburbs east of SF (Dublin, Walnut Creek, Danville, etc),
co-channel KNCI-98.5 is heard from Sacramento. If HS goes on KOME, he will
not be heard throughout the SF market, making their own station a poor choice.

mark

Mark Guidotti c/o Teradyne, Inc. 408-434-0822 ma...@attain.icd.teradyne.com

Brad Alan

Jul 26, 1992, 4:33:00 PM7/26/92
From: brad.alan%br...@ssr.com

s...@netcom.com (Steve A. Feinstein) writes:

> new cities for the radio show! Including:
>Cleveland
>Dallas
>Chicago
>San Francisco

SAF> Can anyone confirm this, anyone got an Idea on a time frame....
SAF> Ooooooooooh I can't wait!

Well, Howard was on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Friday, and he did
not mention San Fransisco. He did mention the other three however. I
just read someone's post a few messages after yours, and it was quoting
a news article that said that it will be going to San Fransisco. So, I
guess you are in luck. <g> I live in NY, and I love his show, it is
the only show worth listening to.

--- Blue Wave/QWK v2.10