Democrats are unwitting architects of California's structural racism

Libtards Can't Stop Thinking About Trump

Oct 2, 2023, 12:50:04 AM10/2/23
However unintentional, Democrats, who have controlled both houses of
the Legislature for 56 of the past 62 years, have created policies
that increase both the cost of living and the discriminatory effects
on those who can least afford them.

California is a textbook example of structural racism.

Thanks to state policies enacted over the past 62 years, we now have
the third highest cost of living in the nation. We have the second
highest home prices, nearly the highest rents and the fourth highest
per capita expenditures for health care. We pay more than $1 a
gallon above the national average for fuel. That’s just for
starters.

The effect of those high costs is not only oppressive to lower-
income workers and their families, it’s discriminatory. Wealthier
families, over-represented by Asians and whites, continued to build
income and wealth even during the pandemic. They never stopped
buying homes in the most expensive markets and best school
districts. Their wealth increased as home values appreciated at
artificially high rates because government policies created a
housing shortage.

California ranked 47th in income equality before the pandemic
because our high cost of living leaves lower-income families living
paycheck to paycheck. More than a third were living in or near
poverty and over half of those Californians were Black or Hispanic.
Policies that favor Asians and whites while oppressing Blacks and
Hispanics are a textbook example of structural racism.

Exorbitant home prices and rents force lower-income workers and
families to pay a daunting share of their income for housing. They
endure longer commutes to work and are forced to live in both
overcrowded and substandard housing. This lack of affordable housing
has caused homelessness to spike — and we lead the nation by more
than 75% over the nearest state.

Children from lower-income families are effectively excluded from
our best schools. A Brookings Institute study revealed that it costs
nearly $11,000 a year more to live near a high-scoring public school
than it does to live near one that is low-scoring.

High health care costs leave lower-income Californians with poorer
access to health care. They’re more likely to skip important doctor
visits and vaccinations. This remains one of the reasons that
Hispanics and Blacks have the highest COVID-19 death rates.

Democratic politicians talk of ending poverty and structural racism,
but they are its unwitting architects. They have controlled both
houses of the Legislature in 56 of the last 62 years. They have a
fundamental distrust of free-market capitalism. They owe their
allegiance to entrenched special interest groups that fiercely
resist changes to the rigged system they’ve created. In short, they
are incapable of making the bold policy changes to housing,
education, health care and health insurance that California
desperately needs. However unintentional, comfortable government
elites have created policies that increase both the cost of living
and the discriminatory effects on those who can least afford them.

The antidote to these failed policies starts with this seed of
truth. The truth is that limited government regulation and free-
market capitalism built the largest and strongest middle class in
the world. They inspire innovation and entrepreneurship. They make
it easier to start or expand a business, increase job opportunities,
encourage competition, give consumers more choices and lower the
cost of living. The greatest income, wealth, gender and racial
equality are rooted in states and countries that embrace these
principals. The best housing, health care and education systems are
there as well.

I’m not saying Democratic politicians are racist — but their
policies are. I’m not saying they’re trying to keep poor kids out of
our best schools — but that’s the effect their housing policies have
had. I’m not saying they set out to have us lead the nation in
poverty and homelessness or that their goal was to have over a third
of Californians living in or near poverty — but that’s the reality.

What I am saying is that 62 years of domination by one party is
enough. It’s time to elect leaders who understand the policy changes
required to actually lift up the poor. It’s time to vote Republican.

https://calmatters.org/commentary/2021/08/democrats-are-unwitting-
architects-of-californias-structural-racism/