Did Sherlock Holmes really exist?

Tayania

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
Did Sherlock Holmes really exist? The books that Sir Arthur writes make
him seem like a real person, so I was wondering if Sir Arthur was only
writing about a real person he knew or if he made up Sherlock Holmes.
Also along in this subject: Did Dr. Watson ever exist?
Tayania

DOYLE60

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98

No.

Willis Frick

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
Yes, the post office will deliver mail to him at his address.

Willis

Bruce L. Grubb

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98

>Did Sherlock Holmes really exist? The books that Sir Arthur writes make
>him seem like a real person, so I was wondering if Sir Arthur was only
>writing about a real person he knew or if he made up Sherlock Holmes.

Well Sherlock Holmes would be best described as a composite character -
bringing in elements from several people into a cohesive whole. The
principal people who were the foundation for Sherlock Holmes were Joseph
Bell and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle himself.

Sir Arthur accually solved several cases (_The Real World of Sherlock
Holmes_ by Peter Costello) using methos very similar to his creation. In
his own autobiography Sir Arthur commented that "One cannot create a
character and make him really lifelike unless one has part of that
character within them."

>Also along in this subject: Did Dr. Watson ever exist?

Unknown though some have said that Sir Arthur's secritary Major Wood was
used as the prototype.

ALEX101

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98
Yes.

;-)

suja...@hotmail.com

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
Of course he did!

No the tense is wrong. He DOES exist. It is beleived by some (including me!)
that he still lives. Must be 115 or so as of now ;)

No! Seriously, he seems so real cos he is based on Sir A C Doyle himself. Sir
Doyle has said that he based Sherlock Holmes on his Prof. Joseph Bell, but
Bell wrote back to Sir A C Doyle saying that he ( Sir A C Doyle) had similar
intuitive powers. W Baring-Gould gives a nice example of how Sir Doyle
deduced that a child was suffering from Lead poisoning.

Sir A C Doyle had a friend called Dr. James H Watson in real life. In one of
the stories, I think it was (please correct me if I am wrong), the 'Man with
a Twisted Lip', Mrs. Watson actually calls Dr Watson, James.

All said and done, Sherlock Holmes is for real and Dr. Watson is real too. If
you beleive that you enjoy the stories more.

Happy reading!

Sujatha.

saikri...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2013, 2:38:07 AM8/4/13
On Saturday, September 19, 1998 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Tayania wrote:
> Did Sherlock Holmes really exist? The books that Sir Arthur writes make
> him seem like a real person, so I was wondering if Sir Arthur was only
> writing about a real person he knew or if he made up Sherlock Holmes.
> Also along in this subject: Did Dr. Watson ever exist?
> Tayania

I certainly would have believed there was sherlock holmes. But there ain't a clue to figure out he did exist or not. The point is if sherlock holmes would existed he would have been known and Sir Arthur didn't mention any thing about Sherlock holmes. So i am widely confused about Dr watson and sherlock holmes being true.I end with a conclusion to say that there is a 50% chance he's there and another 50% chance he is not there, so thanks for reading.

adier...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2015, 1:51:41 AM10/3/15
On Saturday, September 19, 1998 at 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Tayania wrote:
> Did Sherlock Holmes really exist? The books that Sir Arthur writes make
> him seem like a real person, so I was wondering if Sir Arthur was only
> writing about a real person he knew or if he made up Sherlock Holmes.
> Also along in this subject: Did Dr. Watson ever exist?
> Tayania

yes...but there are only few evidence.