The Gillette film at the Odessa International Film Festival in July with full orchestra

1 view

Donald Sosin

May 6, 2016, 5:53:28 PM5/6/16
Dear Friends,

I am new to this group but not to the world of Sherlock, whose exploits I began reading in junior high school in the early 60's. I became a lifelong fan, and so it was an astounding turn of events when the San Francisco Silent Film Festival asked me to compose a score for the 1916 silent film with William Gillette for the American repremiere last May.

Even more astounding, after that sold-out event with a cheering crowd, is that the Odessa International Film Festival has asked me to turn this score into one for full orchestra and premiere it on the famous Potemkin steps on July 16.

This is such a fabulous opportunity, but the funds they have committed fall far short of what is necessary to produce two hours of orchestral music. I have a sensational orchestrator working on this, for there is no time in my schedule to do it all myself--I am also scoring a Keaton film for a premiere in Bologna, Italy in late June, that was contracted long before Odessa contacted me.

So I am asking for help from Sherlock fans far and wide to help support this endeavor. I've created an Indiegogo campaign to fund the orchestration. Peter Breiner is a world class musician, look him up at peterbreiner.com. He has 180 CDs on Naxos, but is grossly underpaid for his work. Let's help him out, let's give Sherlock and Mr. Gillette a first-class accompaniment, and you, dear readers, will benefit in the form of links to performances, DVDs, CDs and whatnot.

Here's the link.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sherlock-holmes-the-odessa-connection/x/9262033#/

Please pass the word around and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks so much!

Best wishes
Donald Sosin
Lakeville Connecticut USA