# 18

1 view

Don Stockbauer

Jan 25, 2020, 10:56:36 PM1/25/20
I'm not the world's most passionate man but I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola.

So does that mean I'm not the world's most passionate man but I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
and Lola is glad that she is also a man?

Or does it mean I'm not the world's most passionate man but I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
and Lola is also glad that I'm a man?

Gets confusing, doesn't it?

Don Stockbauer

Jan 26, 2020, 8:03:34 AM1/26/20
So we're living in a highly advanced technological civilization. It's getting so complex a lot of people can barely even handle their daily lives. So what will we have 100 years from now? Will people be able to handle their ordinary daily lives OK? They will have to. Is all this dishonesty and deceit on the Internet necessary for an advanced civilization?

Don Stockbauer

Jan 26, 2020, 10:04:29 PM1/26/20
Does any university offer a degree in Thinkology? You will remember that Thinkology is the degree
that the Scarecrow was given by the Wizard of Oz.

Don Stockbauer

Jan 27, 2020, 9:35:56 AM1/27/20
If your beer gets infected with germs, would it be from a Corona virus???

Don Stockbauer

Jan 27, 2020, 12:18:17 PM1/27/20

Yesterday I was walking through the park and a man came up to me and wanted to take my photograph.

I told him no , it'll steal my soul.

Don Stockbauer

Jan 27, 2020, 12:47:17 PM1/27/20
If you never receive any feedback, you have only yourself to go by.

Don Stockbauer

Jan 27, 2020, 3:28:21 PM1/27/20
If humans are allowed to destroy all they need,
they will soon have to pay with their life for their greed.

Don Stockbauer

Jan 28, 2020, 4:37:10 PM1/28/20
Paraphrased line from Don McLean's song "Tapestry".

Don Stockbauer

Jan 29, 2020, 10:15:42 AM1/29/20
Here are the lyrics to Donna Summer's song "I Feel Love."

5 PRINT "Feel Love." GOTO 5

Don Stockbauer

Jan 30, 2020, 9:35:24 AM1/30/20
Typo. Insert "I" before "Feel". Not that anybody cares.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 1, 2020, 9:57:48 AM2/1/20
I'm appreciating the B-52s lately, especially Kate Pierson. Songs with neat titles like "The Girl from Ipanema goes to Greenland."

Don Stockbauer

Feb 1, 2020, 11:46:06 PM2/1/20
Who says "neat"anymore?
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Feb 3, 2020, 8:56:40 AM2/3/20
Isn't it fun to play a game of "You can't win."
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Feb 5, 2020, 9:41:36 AM2/5/20
You can understand everything about the parts of the system , but that doesn't mean you'll understand the whole system.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 8, 2020, 4:19:39 PM2/8/20
Doesn't it seem like all this impeachment business and actually politics in general are a waste of time; these people could be out harvesting pecans, doing some good for humanity.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 9, 2020, 6:21:55 AM2/9/20
You improve the world, the world improves you.

Feedback.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 10, 2020, 9:08:50 AM2/10/20
Things keep getting better and better, yet people don't know why. It's because each person is a neuron of the global brain. What can a single neuron know of the mind it helps form? People are clueless about why things are getting better and all they know is that they are.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 10, 2020, 9:13:16 AM2/10/20
What happens when more people learn about the global brain ? well , the global brain achieves self-awareness . any system with higher self awareness has a higher intellect , just as humans have a higher intellect than chimpanzees due to human's greater self-awareness.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 10, 2020, 9:16:58 AM2/10/20
Global brains hooking up around the galaxy forming a galactic brain. just like humans hooking up (intellectually) to form the globalbrain.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 10, 2020, 10:58:04 AM2/10/20
Or maybe not harvesting pecans but how about running in giant hamster cages outfitted to generate electricity.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 13, 2020, 10:48:28 AM2/13/20
Gus uRichter used to say that if you think about breathing it becomes hard, but if you don't think about breathing it's easy.
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Feb 13, 2020, 4:46:29 PM2/13/20

The normal translation of Stockbauer from the German is "someone who raises sticks." At one time there was a need for such a crop , to perform wattle construction with. However, "stock" also has several other meetings in German , such as a head of livestock , a beehive, or cane. So a translation of Stockbauer is "one who raises cane".

Don Stockbauer

Feb 13, 2020, 9:46:36 PM2/13/20
Ever have a friend that you've had a falling out with and you're sure that you could patch things up but that former friend refuses to have even one word of communication with you ensuring that you'll never patch things up ? Sounds like a paradox to me, right up there with Epimenides' or Russell's.
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Feb 15, 2020, 12:50:33 AM2/15/20
Another good one is you're having a discussion by text and something you say infuriates your conversational opponent and they immediately block you instead of discussing the matter , trying to resolve it , perhaps there was a misunderstanding and so now since you're blocked the discussion has to go to telephony, or snail mail, or Indian smoke signals or telegrams or Chinese semaphores or telepathy to try to reestablish contact maybe even the personal ads or carrier pigeon, the list just goes on and on doesn't it?
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Feb 16, 2020, 9:14:17 AM2/16/20
today is my birthday; see Birthday Cantata cantata Tata Tata Tata Quatar Qatar Qatar Thomas Tata Tata Tata Tata Tata Tata Tata Tata Tata Tata Tata birthday cantata Tara Tata Tata Tata Tata does this go on for aleph null or Cantores continuum?

brought to ewe buy the iPhone dictation system , the bottom feeder of dictation systems.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 16, 2020, 9:16:27 AM2/16/20
When there's no one left to leave you ,
even you don't quite believe you ,
that's when nothing can deceive you.

-Steve Winwood

Except you can still deceive yourself.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 17, 2020, 8:14:33 AM2/17/20
I wonder if the World will get so complex that eventually no one will be able to do anything?

Don Stockbauer

Feb 17, 2020, 10:30:18 PM2/17/20
Or maybe it'll be more like each person will be a tiny little bit of the complex whole.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 19, 2020, 9:15:10 AM2/19/20

KIII civilizations have been looked for , should be a lot of waste heat , a whole galaxy, none seen.
How they could be so efficient to not radiate in the infrared is a problem no one knows.
**************
A single civilization does not colonize a whole galaxy , many thousands or millions of civilizations arise throughout our galaxy just like our civilization arose on our planet. The civilizations develop radio communication and link up with one another to form a galactic network. Each civilization gets energy from their own sun and since they're intelligent they don't need that much energy especially for communication which does not need much energy at all. Thus no waste heat.
Just like the solution to the Fermi paradox , intelligent civilizations communicate, not travel.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 19, 2020, 11:44:42 AM2/19/20
The Fermi paradox: why aren't space aliens here?

Could it be that it's analogous to newts in America trying to detect newts in Europe?

Don Stockbauer

Feb 19, 2020, 5:55:12 PM2/19/20
7 billion immensely complex creatures and their machines united by communication into a single living organism.
Real uptown, eh?

Don Stockbauer

Feb 19, 2020, 5:55:58 PM2/19/20
You have to find something to visit it.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 20, 2020, 9:27:11 AM2/20/20
Things are sure getting complex, and complexity is just about the definition of life, isn't it?

Don Stockbauer

Feb 20, 2020, 11:44:29 PM2/20/20
No it isn't ; the definition includes much more.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 21, 2020, 1:34:00 AM2/21/20
"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic."
So our future technology will consist of pulling rabbits out of a hat and sawing women in two?

Don Stockbauer

Feb 21, 2020, 8:46:19 AM2/21/20
It's funny that the System has no power to prevent an individual from exercising their free will. However , the System is very good at after the fact determining things.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 22, 2020, 9:52:16 AM2/22/20
Maybe our system will get so powerful at some point that it will be able to determine that a particular person will commit a crime and it can lock them up beforehand.
It will be right up there with developing software which will determine if you send a message to someone whether they'll respond or not.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 22, 2020, 10:19:34 AM2/22/20
So if there are people who will have nothing to do with you you need to concentrate on people who will.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 22, 2020, 1:20:59 PM2/22/20
My father once told Gus Richter "Rome wasn't built in a day" and Gus replied "But they damn sure burned it down a day."

A mathematical trapdoor function?

Don Stockbauer

Feb 23, 2020, 10:34:43 AM2/23/20
Nice guys finish last.

Nice guys don't play games.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 23, 2020, 4:31:34 PM2/23/20
All kinds of trapdoor functions. Like relationships. Hard to build, easy to destroy.
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Feb 23, 2020, 11:18:18 PM2/23/20
What if you had a general systems thinker's general systems thinker?

Kind of like a man's man.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 24, 2020, 9:12:42 AM2/24/20
You know one thing I thought about the flat earth theory is that if the earth is really flat you could travel to the edge and you'll see such a bizarre situation you'd know it's flat .I mean if the earth is flat can you imagine going to its edge?
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Feb 26, 2020, 8:01:09 AM2/26/20
One time Dad and I were in the river bottom picking pecans. I tried to tell him about Jack London's story "to build a fire". He stopped me immediately and said "God, I hate cold weather."

Don Stockbauer

Feb 28, 2020, 9:29:22 AM2/28/20
I'm not worried about my physical death that much. It's the death of my intellect
which is the true Death.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Feb 29, 2020, 11:18:22 PM2/29/20
Why won't the so-called Singularity form?

Super-Intelligent AIs will supposedly combine to form the Singularity. To be super-intelligent an AI has to be connected and talk to people and other AIs. So that means the super-intelligent AI is part of the global brain. That's the definition of the global brain , people and machines connected in the form of a neural network .So instead of forming connections to form the Singularity they form connections to form the global brain. As they say in the old western movies "This town ain't big enough for both of us."

Don Stockbauer

Mar 1, 2020, 5:40:12 AM3/1/20
It seems to me that the preferred method of communication nowadays is to not answer your conversational opponent.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 1, 2020, 5:41:03 PM3/1/20
The Singularity IS the Global Brain when you consider how fast it will make technology rise.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 1, 2020, 11:04:59 PM3/1/20
Or maybe the global brain is the singularity.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 3, 2020, 2:42:48 AM3/3/20

The thing about noise its not about noise like a bomb goes off and you hear a noise this is a scientific concept like if you have data and it's scattered all over the place or you can't make sense of it that's noisy data. so what I thought for global warming instead of the temperature just rising from now on uniformly it'll have noise here at the beginning like I defined above. that noise will cause -30° in Boston , people look at that -30 so they say global earming is wrong it got cold,
But someday this noise will go away and you'll just have temperatures increasing with no more cold . just my idea I came up with havent researched it to see what other people say.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 3, 2020, 9:49:44 AM3/3/20

I haven't met a rancher yet that has liked cold weather. They have to be out in it too much.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 3, 2020, 11:32:22 AM3/3/20
Have you ever heard of local versus global systems? doesn't it seem like politics in America is a mere local system?

Don Stockbauer

Mar 4, 2020, 10:50:41 AM3/4/20
Why the technological singularity will never form.

Because humanity and its tools (and AIs are merely tools) form a synergism, not an antagonism.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 4, 2020, 11:15:48 AM3/4/20
Is it self-awareness when one realizes that one is a
general systems thinker?

Don Stockbauer

Mar 4, 2020, 6:04:37 PM3/4/20
Is it almost criminal if you haven't voted since 1976?

Don Stockbauer

Mar 4, 2020, 11:22:46 PM3/4/20
I was clouded out for the Anoba occultation.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 5, 2020, 7:09:49 PM3/5/20
What could be more wonderful than having a tooth pulled?

Don Stockbauer

Mar 5, 2020, 7:12:39 PM3/5/20
After the scarecrow gets his diploma in the Wizard of Oz he quotes a trigonometric theorem , which is wrong , by the way.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 6, 2020, 12:47:23 AM3/6/20
Some try to tell me,
Thoughts they cannot defend.
Just what you want to be,
you'll be in the end.

So want to be something magnificent.
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Mar 6, 2020, 2:31:04 PM3/6/20
The most impossible thing to predict is whether or not someone will respond that you sent a message to.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 7, 2020, 9:59:00 AM3/7/20
I'm not saying anything here, just like no one will talk to me.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 7, 2020, 11:20:23 AM3/7/20
Petty, aren't I? And not Tom.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 8, 2020, 9:08:47 AM3/8/20
Is it possible to be an expert on everything?

Don Stockbauer

Mar 8, 2020, 9:11:14 AM3/8/20
Is it possible for "them" to hear you through your iPhone microphone? "iPhone microphone"; that's kind of catchy, isn't it?

Don Stockbauer

Mar 8, 2020, 10:22:52 AM3/8/20
what's the name of the brain defect where you're thinking about something and then just for an instant you think about something else and when you think about that something else you forget about the original thing you were thinking of?

Don Stockbauer

Mar 8, 2020, 12:05:37 PM3/8/20
Do you think that as you learn stuff your thoughts undergo a metasystem transition?

Don Stockbauer

Mar 8, 2020, 12:09:55 PM3/8/20
Man, this is the first time ever I didn't hear about the daylight savings time transition on the news. complete surprise .
there's the old saying "spring forward, fall back " but you know you could have another saying , that's "spring back, fall forward " like if you see a snake you spring back , and when the snake is gone you can fall forward.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 8, 2020, 1:56:46 PM3/8/20
A man's reach should exceed his grasp or else he'll only obtain things within his grasp.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 9, 2020, 1:18:10 PM3/9/20
if we find life off the planet earth that'll prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that earth is not the only place that is inherited by life.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 9, 2020, 5:21:28 PM3/9/20
That wasn't my statement, that came from a fairly prominent planetary scientist.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 9, 2020, 11:26:06 PM3/9/20
Remember that I did not hijack this group , when I came into it there were just a few people , everyone left but me and no one new has come in , so don't see malfeasance in my actions.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 10, 2020, 7:20:36 AM3/10/20
inherited ..... inhabited.

why do we make such mistakes?