瀏覽次數:2 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年11月28日 清晨7:54:562018/11/28
收件者:
And I called up the captain
I said bring me my wine.
they said we haven't had that Spirit here
since the Apollo 11 moon landing.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年11月28日 上午8:12:472018/11/28
收件者:
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you anywhere.

- Einstein

The only trouble is when you get to someplace by imagination it might not be real or desirable.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年11月29日 凌晨4:42:442018/11/29
收件者:
When I was in high school (St. Joseph high school, Victoria Texas) I left my complete set of fingerprints in one of the library books. So I can never commit a crime; the fingerprints are right there!

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年11月29日 凌晨4:46:492018/11/29
收件者:
The only time I've been fingerprinted tomorrow knowledge was that Johnson space Center, Houston I remember that they came out really blurry I wonder if there any good like you know windows fingerprint databases if they would even get a hand if they fit in my my fingerprints
Sorry about some of the main garbled but you see i use this iPhone dictatoon software and it is really the bottom feeder of dictation software is getting words wrong right and left.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年11月29日 晚上10:05:392018/11/29
收件者:
Follow me,
Don't follow me.
I've got my spine, I've got my Orange Crush.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年11月30日 清晨6:46:312018/11/30
收件者:
If someone receives googolplex emails a day, don't send them an email.

unless it's really important and then only once a month.

because you take a chance that they might block you and lose their warm feelings for you

you need to be especially careful about making appeals to the public for ideas on how to reduce your email load.

The penalty for humanity obtaining all knowledge or at least all knowledge within a subset of all knowledge is to have to put up with such nuisances as the Epimenides paradox.

See it might be a little hard for us to obtain all knowledge. what if we want to know about a planet orbiting a star on the other side of the cosmological event horizon . that might be a little difficult. but I'm sure we can manage it if we just try . what if we want to go beyond obtaining knowledge to actually doing things. can we make our galaxy spin in the opposite direction from which it is spinning now? well you know if you can think it you can do it. Also if you can come up with trite little sayings that everybody believes in you can publish a book and make money.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月1日 清晨6:57:572018/12/1
收件者:
Being humble is a virtue.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月1日 下午4:49:522018/12/1
收件者:
Begindid - something that begins and ends at the same time.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月2日 清晨7:23:002018/12/2
收件者:
So if something begins and ends at the same time , did it exist?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月2日 清晨7:26:042018/12/2
收件者:
You are but a neuron of the global brain. how much can one neuron know of the mind it helps to form?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月3日 凌晨12:59:492018/12/3
收件者:
Love is like oxygen,
you get too much you get too high,
not enough and you're gonna die.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月3日 清晨7:34:492018/12/3
收件者:
If a couple has severe financial difficulties, can they stay married?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月4日 清晨5:34:302018/12/4
收件者:
If you send a bunch of emails to someone, does that make them your friend?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月4日 清晨7:20:372018/12/4
收件者:
As I ransack their home they want to shake my hand.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月4日 中午12:45:052018/12/4
收件者:
When I was a child we had a fish store close to our house , when you went through the door it rang a doorbell in the owner's house next to it so that she wouldn't have to watch the fish store all the time. I thought that was a great example of cybernetics. An even simpler case was my grandmother had a string running up to her light fixture on the ceiling of her bedroom which she could operate remotely from her bed.

One of my favorite cartoons shows the Tin Man driving a tractor.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月4日 下午4:03:582018/12/4
收件者:
My father thought of a great way to produce antigravity . what you do you get an object the mass of the Earth and you hold it over the object you want to hover on the opposite side from the real Earth.

What the hell do you expect? He was an auto mechanic.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月4日 晚上7:38:112018/12/4
收件者:
The radius of the object needs to be one earth radius, if it's a lot smaller then the lifting force is much greater than one gee and the object would just go upwards and crash into it.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月4日 晚上10:08:022018/12/4
收件者:
Kid can't read at 17.
The words he knows are all obscene.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月4日 晚上10:54:562018/12/4
收件者:
When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars
This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
Age of Aquarius

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月7日 清晨7:07:312018/12/7
收件者:
If someone abandons you, should you make some effort to get them back or should you just wave bye-bye?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月8日 晚上9:38:112018/12/8
收件者:
Is this a sketchbook?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月10日 晚上11:17:132018/12/10
收件者:
Don't let me stop,
your great self-destruction.
Die if you want to,
You missguided martyr.
I wash my hands,
Of your demolition.
Die if you want to,
you innocent puppet.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月12日 晚上10:56:402018/12/12
收件者:
Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colors from our sight,
Red is gray and yellow white,
But we decide which is right,
And which is an allusion.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月13日 清晨5:49:512018/12/13
收件者:
cs/allusion/illusion/

I have to do that because I don't know how to change usenet posts once they're posted , if they can be changed.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月14日 上午9:12:042018/12/14
收件者:
Don: "Can you ever be too happy?"

My father, the philosopher: "yes you can be too happy, then you might be mistaken for drunk and get arrested."

What do you expect, he was just an auto mechanic?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月14日 中午12:59:082018/12/14
收件者:
"Captain Zargo , why did Earth's civilization die?"

"well, the best we can figure out is it got in some kind of runaway technological advancement loop and it blew up like a hydrogen bomb."

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月14日 下午1:28:302018/12/14
收件者:
Yes, he is insane, and unfortunately he had to latch onto a body of knowledge with immense power.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月14日 下午4:54:442018/12/14
收件者:
I started thinking about it and at first I thought a loop would prevent it from being a runaway situation but not necessarily since each iteration of the loop could bring you to a point higher than you were before.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月15日 上午11:15:232018/12/15
收件者:
do you think that the only way to get an intelligent AI would be for it to have a brain equivalent to that of a human and also it would need to be trained like a human for 20 or so years?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月17日 下午3:42:522018/12/17
收件者:

Is it ever worth it to write an email to a university professor because assuredly just a grad student is going to read it.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月18日 下午3:09:222018/12/18
收件者:
Do you think that university professors should spend some time out in the real world to help with their thinking?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月18日 下午3:56:022018/12/18
收件者:
Anthony in the story "It's a Good Life": do you think that he was more powerful than God?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月19日 清晨7:18:382018/12/19
收件者:
Can one person make a difference anymore?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月20日 清晨7:09:182018/12/20
收件者:
Do you think that life on this planet has become so complex that no one can handle it anymore?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月20日 下午6:32:462018/12/20
收件者:
So we're going to have super intelligent machines, or AIs. But who's going to build all this?
Who's in control? The answer is human culture. And we'll have some mighty powerful tools.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月21日 凌晨12:06:132018/12/21
收件者:
You reached for the secret too soon, you tried for the moon,
Shine on you crazy diamond.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月21日 晚上10:52:212018/12/21
收件者:
I wonder if a sufficiently advanced civilization would use money or not?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月22日 上午8:30:412018/12/22
收件者:
Have you ever communicated with someone and it was so good it left a warm feeling in your heart?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月22日 上午9:05:242018/12/22
收件者:
How can you possibly detect when the federal government has shut down???
訊息已遭刪除
訊息已遭刪除

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月24日 清晨7:54:572018/12/24
收件者:
And the time will come when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月24日 晚上11:24:142018/12/24
收件者:
Douglas related how when he was young he stared at three threes for a long time imprinting his brain with the self reference concept. The only thing I did close to that was we had a windmill weight which I still have which has the number four on it and when I was four years old I stared at it for a long time marveling that that was my age.
訊息已遭刪除

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月25日 上午9:02:502018/12/25
收件者:
If someone creates something , like a screenplay, does that make them the Creator?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月25日 下午4:54:232018/12/25
收件者:
I once pondered what humans would be like had we never developed language. but actually we have
that. it occurs when people throw away old friends and just throw other people away in general , they're not using language anymore with them.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月26日 清晨6:48:152018/12/26
收件者:
All human interaction has the form of a game.

- Berme

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月26日 清晨6:55:282018/12/26
收件者:
Did you need to die like that , was that a mistake or
did you know your messy death would be a record breaker?

Greater love than this no man hath, than to stay alive iand help out his friends.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月26日 下午3:34:392018/12/26
收件者:
It's the end of the world as we know it,
it's the end of the world as we know it,
It's the end of the world as we know it
and I feel fine.

Now what does that mean? well it probably doesn't mean the end of humanity or the earth itself. it probably just means that it's the end of the old ways of looking at things. might that have something to do with the instantiation of the Global Brain, mayhaps?
訊息已遭刪除

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月28日 上午9:12:382018/12/28
收件者:
Life's a bitch, and then you die.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月28日 下午1:31:352018/12/28
收件者:
When we used to go out to my uncle Alberts he had a telescope there which was so good it could tell time . now what does that mean? It meant that if you used it to look at the courthouse clocks 5 miles away you could tell time.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2018年12月31日 晚上10:33:372018/12/31
收件者:
Kind of hard to have a family isn't it if you have no money.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月10日 凌晨12:18:562019/1/10
收件者:
Life's a dance you learn as you go
sometimes you lead sometimes you follow
don't worry about what you don't know
life's a dance you learn as you go

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月12日 清晨7:17:172019/1/12
收件者:
This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimsy.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月13日 清晨5:31:342019/1/13
收件者:
Have you ever carried on a long correspondence with a college or university professor and then afterwords wondered if you were only talking to grad students?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月15日 上午9:05:322019/1/15
收件者:
Is Hofstadter related to Bourbaki?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月15日 上午9:18:452019/1/15
收件者:
Is there some way we could use all those ICBMs to the benefit of Humanity?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月16日 清晨5:10:062019/1/16
收件者:
(Your witty comment here).

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月17日 清晨6:23:062019/1/17
收件者:
Consider this:

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月17日 清晨6:32:402019/1/17
收件者:
Go sit in the corner of a circular room.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月17日 清晨6:39:402019/1/17
收件者:
Don't write to someone too often. They'll hate you forever.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月17日 下午5:50:052019/1/17
收件者:
So if the global brain has neurons the caliber of Hofstadter and there are 7 billion neurons in the global brain, don't you think it would be pretty advanced creature?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月19日 凌晨12:06:102019/1/19
收件者:
Do you think it's possible to have World War III at this late stage in the development of the Global Brain?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月19日 上午11:25:442019/1/19
收件者:
What's puzzling you is the nature of my game.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月19日 晚上10:52:142019/1/19
收件者:
Machines will have a lot of fun trying to overthrow human culture.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月21日 凌晨12:58:072019/1/21
收件者:
In the who's rock opera Tommy Tommy has a form of autism brought on by early childhood trauma nothing seems able to bring him out of it except when he stares at his own image in a mirror which frees him . so what is staring at one's own image in a mirror ? why , it's self reference of course and who is the expert on self reference ? you guessed it!!!!!

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月21日 凌晨1:15:092019/1/21
收件者:
In GEB Douglas talks about Improvising fugues. he says improvising a six part fugue would be as difficult as a person playing 60 games of blindfolded chess against 60 opponents and winning them all . he says improvising an eight part fugue is beyond human capability . now think of how many people have 60 friends . playing a game of chess is vanishingly simple compared to maintaining a human relationship . yet many humans are able to maintain a relationship with 60 friends which would be much harder than playing blindfolded chess against them. So perhaps one person improvising an eight part fugue would not be beyond human capability and of course when you have resources available use them , appeal to the global brain.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月21日 凌晨1:51:222019/1/21
收件者:

Perhaps all the previous post illustrates is the fact that the game of chess is much simpler than the game of life.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月22日 上午9:10:072019/1/22
收件者:
Suppose you're all set up to observe a very rare transit of Venus and then a total eclipse of the Sun comes along and ruins it for you. As an exercise to the reader calculate when this will next happen.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月23日 清晨7:10:002019/1/23
收件者:
The Donner party wound up in their situation where they resorted to cannibalism because they were sold a map which was not true, so fake news never hurts anybody, does it?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月23日 清晨7:32:582019/1/23
收件者:

If you are on the moon during a total lunar eclipse and you look back at the Earth you'll see brilliant ring of light all the way around the Earth. that light has travelled from the sun , it reaches the earth tangentially to its surface and forms the ring and then goes on to the Moon. if you are at the point of it being tangent on Earth you'll see the sun on the earth's horizon. if the sun is on the horizon that's a sunrise or sunset .for half of that ring you're looking at sunsets , the other half sunrises.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月23日 上午10:41:032019/1/23
收件者:
Some of that was pretty self-obvious, wasn't it?
What was I talking about ? it was my immediate previous post . when Google groups was adapted for the iPhone they did a pathetic job of quoting, reference and everything, Plus their dictation software is worse than pathetic , which I'm using right now; is that self reference?it is one of the most important concepts in the universe, yes?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月23日 晚上7:54:512019/1/23
收件者:
All in all you're just another brick system helping to form the wall metasystem via metasystem transition.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月23日 晚上8:05:582019/1/23
收件者:
For a really neat explanation of how all human interactions and possibly all interactions in the entire universe have the form of a game , see Eric Berne's book "Games People Play."

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月23日 晚上10:13:262019/1/23
收件者:
And the time will come when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月24日 下午6:39:372019/1/24
收件者:
There was a BC comic strip, BC has his little raft , he puts a message on it which says "Did you people go extinct or are you just not communicating with me anymore?" So he puts the note on his raft and sets it out to sea toward the horizon, the other people are beyond the horizon, and he waits a day , two days , a week , a month, a year,
10 years.
訊息已遭刪除

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月26日 上午10:37:142019/1/26
收件者:
The Game of Life:

1. Make moves (exchange information).

2. Take turns.

3. Achieve bragging rights (I'm more intelligent than you are).

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月27日 下午3:07:482019/1/27
收件者:
The way person A has infinite power over person B is when person B desires to communicate with person A and person A is lazy and does nothing.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月28日 下午4:54:132019/1/28
收件者:
So cyberneticists say that disruption is a good thing ,
keeps society from stagnating . well , is that a middle ground thing , you don't want too much or too little? like World War III: is that too much disruption?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月28日 晚上9:15:122019/1/28
收件者:
Sickness will surely take the mind, where minds don't usually go.
Come on the amazing journey, and learn all you should know.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年1月30日 晚上9:58:472019/1/30
收件者:
I've wondered how do we know that the ICBM system is still alive and going? Maybe people on both sides cooperated, came to their senses and disarmed it. You wouldn't have to destroy all the rockets and silos and everything , you could just go in and take away key software or key hardware components , it would be like taking the firing pin out of a gun. So how do we know this hasn't been done? I mean the whole system is as highly classified as you can get , who would know one way or the other? Who in the military would even know? This uncertainty is the ultimate paradox , besides the paradox of creating the damn thing to begin with.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年2月2日 下午2:23:402019/2/2
收件者:
I wonder if self-organization is going to make the Earth a truly fantastic place to live?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年2月2日 下午4:30:012019/2/2
收件者:
Do you think that highly intelligent machines or AIs or whatever the hell you wanna call them can overcome human culture?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年2月3日 上午9:28:122019/2/3
收件者:
LSD: better living, through chemistry.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年2月4日 清晨7:20:402019/2/4
收件者:
It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood.
it's a wonderful day for a neighbor.
Would you be mine?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年2月13日 下午1:42:302019/2/13
收件者:
Is Bowman lobotomizing HAL any different in principle than you adjusting the temperature of
your water heater? Is the only difference one of complexity? Or does with the complexity
come emergence?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年2月13日 晚上9:01:382019/2/13
收件者:
There's a story titled "It's a Good Life" in which the main character Anthony is a child with seemingly Godlike powers. He for instance is able to kill someone and then wish them into the cornfield burying them by pure mental thought . He also made the entire universe disappear beyond the edge of his village. Certainly no one has such power over physical objects but since we live in the age of memes is it possible that someone could have similar powers producing memes which are then distributed by our global communication system which could bring about like changes?

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年2月13日 晚上9:08:502019/2/13
收件者:
All human interaction has the form of a game.

- Berne

to correct error

never have figured out how to correct the text of a usenet post if it can be done.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年2月14日 凌晨12:46:172019/2/14
收件者:
Probably can be done with a better newsreader than Google groups.

Don Stockbauer

未讀,
2019年2月15日 上午9:16:482019/2/15
收件者:
I was going to say that we've developed a world system where one friend can throw away another friend with no consequences, but then I started thinking of counterexamples , like you throw away your friend and then he or she has a rare blood type and only they could save your life.
0 則新訊息