Burning Man

Don Stockbauer

Aug 31, 2008, 1:29:43 PM8/31/08

> > Don Stockbauer wrote:

Hey, just saw where they had a dust storm out at Burning Man, and
apparently the Man has already been Burned. You usually go each
year. This year?

Tian

Aug 31, 2008, 11:56:18 PM8/31/08

Not this year. I would have been in email silence for the past week
if I was at Burning Man. Sorry to say, I'm still missing it as I type
this. The good news is that I'm almost done missing Burning Man. FWIW

--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org

Don Stockbauer

Sep 1, 2008, 12:34:06 AM9/1/08
On Aug 31, 10:56 pm, Tian <tnhar...@aceweb.com> wrote:

> > Hey, just saw where they had a dust storm out at Burning Man, and
> > apparently the Man has already been Burned.  You usually go each
> > year.  This year?
>
> Not this year. I would have been in email silence for the past week
> if I was at Burning Man. Sorry to say, I'm still missing it as I type
> this. The good news is that I'm almost done missing Burning Man. FWIW

I kind of figured you would have been in email silence, but then I
thought that maybe they have some sort of connectivity out there,
IRIDIUM or maybe a cell tower or maybe some guy with a shortwave, but
then I got to thinking that you would have mentioned being out there,
so anyway, I just thought I'd directly ask.

To show what a connected world we have, I know a fellow who had car
trouble in the Nevada desert. No cell phone reception, but he did
have a shortwave with which he contacted a ham in Australia who then
used a land line to phone a wrecker service for him in Nevada.

And there are people who doubt that the Global Brain is forming after
stories like that.

Tian

Sep 1, 2008, 1:28:35 AM9/1/08
Don Stockbauer wrote:
>>> Hey, just saw where they had a dust storm out at Burning Man, and
>>> apparently the Man has already been Burned. You usually go each
>>> year. This year?
>> Not this year. I would have been in email silence for the past week
>> if I was at Burning Man. Sorry to say, I'm still missing it as I type
>> this. The good news is that I'm almost done missing Burning Man. FWIW
>
> I kind of figured you would have been in email silence, but then I
> thought that maybe they have some sort of connectivity out there,
> IRIDIUM or maybe a cell tower or maybe some guy with a shortwave, but
> then I got to thinking that you would have mentioned being out there,
> so anyway, I just thought I'd directly ask.

Yup. So now you know...

> To show what a connected world we have, I know a fellow who had car
> trouble in the Nevada desert. No cell phone reception, but he did
> have a shortwave with which he contacted a ham in Australia who then
> used a land line to phone a wrecker service for him in Nevada.

Remarkable that you know such a person. One time I told a friend "we
need a revolution where the pun is mightier than the gun."

He said "my ham license is KC6PUN" or something like that with a PUN
at the end. That's the closest thing to a ham radio story I have.

> And there are people who doubt that the Global Brain is forming after
> stories like that.

If they are paid to do so some people will doubt the law of gravity works.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 1, 2008, 6:59:52 AM9/1/08

Hopefully they're suicidal too, for I could pay them to jump off the
top of the WTC.

I once saw a male prostitute interviewed on TV; he said "I'll do
anything for money."

Don Stockbauer

Sep 1, 2008, 11:23:48 AM9/1/08

That is, if you can pay someone to doubt that gravity works then you
could most likely also pay them to test that hypothesis by jumping
from now nonexistent building(s).

Tian

Sep 1, 2008, 1:49:13 PM9/1/08

It's much easier to pay someone to say they doubt the law of gravity
then it is to get them to actually jump off the building to prove it.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 1, 2008, 1:58:42 PM9/1/08

You beat me to it. I was going to respond with exactly that! Great
minds think alike?????

Mudge

Sep 1, 2008, 2:51:33 PM9/1/08

On 09/01/2008 11:58:42 Don Stockbauer wrote:

> You beat me to it. I was going to respond with exactly that! Great minds
> think alike?????

I will say nothin - I will say nothing - aaaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhh !

--
The Canadian Curmudgeon (in Calgary)

Please save our endangered CO2 ~ plant many trees

Don Stockbauer

Sep 1, 2008, 3:57:55 PM9/1/08
On Sep 1, 1:51 pm, Mudge <Mu...@nospam.ever> wrote:
> On 09/01/2008 11:58:42 Don Stockbauer wrote:
>
> > You beat me to it.  I was going to respond with exactly that!  Great minds
> > think alike?????
>
> I will say nothin - I will say nothing - aaaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhh !

Oh, come on. We want your input. We can take it! We are strong. We
are woman - no, wait, that's a Helen Reddy song.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 3, 2008, 11:49:42 PM9/3/08

Blarp.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 4, 2008, 8:56:53 AM9/4/08
Post in the corral needs replacing.

Mudge

Sep 4, 2008, 1:14:45 PM9/4/08

On 09/04/2008 06:56:53 Don Stockbauer wrote:

> Post in the corral needs replacing.

And the barded wire on the south 40 needs tightening

Don Stockbauer

Sep 4, 2008, 2:19:39 PM9/4/08
On Sep 4, 12:14 pm, Mudge <Mu...@nospam.ever> wrote:
> On 09/04/2008 06:56:53 Don Stockbauer wrote:
>
> > Post in the corral needs replacing.
>
> And the barded wire on the south 40 needs tightening

Exactly! How did you know! (Fence built by Shakespeare in 1584).

"Prophet!" said I, "thing of evil - prophet still, if bird or devil!"

Mudge

Sep 4, 2008, 2:39:21 PM9/4/08

On 09/04/2008 12:19:39 Don Stockbauer wrote:

> On Sep 4, 12:14 pm, Mudge wrote:

>> On 09/04/2008 06:56:53 Don Stockbauer wrote:

>>> Post in the corral needs replacing.

>> And the barded wire on the south 40 needs tightening

> Exactly! How did you know!

's where all them Mexicans are creeping in, innit ?

Tian

Sep 4, 2008, 2:44:56 PM9/4/08
Don Stockbauer wrote:
> Post in the corral needs replacing.

I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
vacuuming.

--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org

Don Stockbauer

Sep 4, 2008, 3:22:34 PM9/4/08
On Sep 4, 1:44 pm, Tian <tnhar...@aceweb.com> wrote:
> Don Stockbauer wrote:
> > Post in the corral needs replacing.
>
> I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
> vacuuming.

As my corral gently weeps.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 4, 2008, 3:27:47 PM9/4/08
On Sep 4, 1:39 pm, Mudge <Mu...@nospam.ever> wrote:
> On 09/04/2008 12:19:39 Don Stockbauer wrote:

> >> And the barded wire on the south 40 needs tightening
> > Exactly!  How did you know!
>
> 's where all them Mexicans are creeping in, innit ?

Yeppers! The south 40 borders on the Guadalupe River. Thousands of
'em swimming across! Like those shows depicting the gnus migrations
in Africa. Un-bee-leaf-uh-gobble! Destroying the economy.

"I was sad when I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had sold both
his kidneys for food."

Don Stockbauer

Sep 4, 2008, 5:55:07 PM9/4/08

Dug hole for post. Cut post to correctly length, rolled it over to
hole.. But post full of huge woodpecker holes. Must spend time now
filling WPH's with cement. Stay tuned for the next episode of

"Fixing Corrals on the Ranch"

or,

"The Effect of Hydrogen Bombs on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds."

Don Stockbauer

Sep 5, 2008, 8:25:22 AM9/5/08

Woke up. In a fairly good mood. Need to see how the cement test has
come out. After Quick-crete gets old it wont even harden. If one of
the two bags of QC is ok (as judged by the small amount tested from
each bag yesterday), will begin the WPH subtask.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 5, 2008, 12:59:32 PM9/5/08

Turns out that one of the bags of Quickcrete I had here is bad, won't
harden at all. The good one isn't enough, so l will have to go in and
buy a new one. Did get two of the WPH's filled; however, they're
randomly distributed so it's tedious process of filling one facing
upwards, letting it set, then rotating the post and filling the next,
usw.

Hey, people can have these blogs of their personal lives which are way
less interesting than watching cement dry; why can't I have mine here?

Mudge

Sep 5, 2008, 2:07:30 PM9/5/08

On 09/05/2008 10:59:32 Don Stockbauer wrote:

> Hey, people can have these blogs of their personal lives which are way
> less interesting than watching cement dry; why can't I have mine here?

Has anyone objected ???

Don Stockbauer

Sep 5, 2008, 2:23:01 PM9/5/08
On Sep 5, 1:07 pm, Mudge <Mu...@nospam.ever> wrote:
> On 09/05/2008 10:59:32 Don Stockbauer wrote:
>
> > Hey, people can have these blogs of their personal lives which are way
> > less interesting than watching cement dry; why can't I have mine here?
>
> Has anyone objected ???

Oh, Tian might get his "I drop a 1909 S VDB penny in the pink piggy-
bank" comment, but in general, nobody cares, I just bop along with my
stream of corn-shuck-ness, when anyone posts a legitimate Hofstadter
comment I do my best to make some sort of semi-cogent response, but
other than that it's just kind of wild and wacky and a free-for-all
here at alt.fan.hofstadter.

Mudge

Sep 5, 2008, 5:19:57 PM9/5/08

On 09/05/2008 12:23:01 Don Stockbauer wrote:

> Oh, Tian might get his "I drop a 1909 S VDB penny in the pink piggy- bank"
> comment, but in general, nobody cares, I just bop along with my stream of
> corn-shuck-ness, when anyone posts a legitimate Hofstadter comment I do my
> best to make some sort of semi-cogent response, but other than that it's
> just kind of wild and wacky and a free-for-all here at alt.fan.hofstadter.

Besides, there are less than a dozen, living beings who seem to lurk
hereabouts, innit ?

Don Stockbauer

Sep 5, 2008, 5:32:58 PM9/5/08
On Sep 5, 4:19 pm, Mudge <Mu...@nospam.ever> wrote:
> On 09/05/2008 12:23:01 Don Stockbauer wrote:
>
> > Oh, Tian might get his "I drop a 1909 S VDB penny in the pink piggy- bank"
> > comment, but in general, nobody cares, I just bop along with my stream of
> > corn-shuck-ness, when anyone posts a legitimate Hofstadter comment I do my
> > best to make some sort of semi-cogent response, but other than that it's
> > just kind of wild and wacky and a free-for-all here at alt.fan.hofstadter.
>
> Besides, there are less than a dozen, living beings who seem to lurk
> hereabouts, innit ?

A dozen? I don't know. (Lurkers please identify yourselves).

Since I made my first post here ( which went something like "I am
Hofstadter's canonical fan") people have come and go. I think that at
one time I was very forceful and non-diplomatic and ran people off,
but at some point I changed and am now a pussycat. But in any case
not many people post here. I don't know what to do about it. I
suppose the successful candidate for a-f-h submissions will be one who
will post despite hell or high water. We welcome him/her.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 6, 2008, 10:02:44 AM9/6/08

Got the sack of cement bought. Today will be spent filling in the
remainder WPHs in the post. When it's set nice and well it goes in
the hole and will be tromped in.

Excitment beyond containment.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 6, 2008, 10:27:09 PM9/6/08

All the WPH's are filled and curing. Did some more vine clearing from
the fences. Tomorrow I'll set the post and then test others to see if
they need replacement. I know one does, anyway. Tune in tomorrow for
another exciting episode.

Mudge

Sep 7, 2008, 2:11:08 PM9/7/08

On 09/06/2008 20:27:09 Don Stockbauer wrote:

> All the WPH's are filled and curing. Did some more vine clearing from the
> fences. Tomorrow I'll set the post and then test others to see if they
> need replacement. I know one does, anyway. Tune in tomorrow for another
> exciting episode.

Me breath comes in short pants

Don Stockbauer

Sep 7, 2008, 8:07:03 PM9/7/08
On Sep 7, 1:11 pm, Mudge <Mu...@nospam.ever> wrote:
> On 09/06/2008 20:27:09 Don Stockbauer wrote:
>
> > All the WPH's are filled and curing.  Did some more vine clearing from the
> > fences.  Tomorrow I'll set the post and then test others to see if they
> > need replacement.  I know one does, anyway.  Tune in tomorrow for another
> > exciting episode.
>
> Me breath comes in short pants

You know, what I've written the past few days is boring beyond
comprehension. I'll quit at this point and wait for the normal boffo
contributions come in.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 7, 2008, 11:12:19 PM9/7/08

Still waiting.

Tian

Sep 8, 2008, 1:35:20 AM9/8/08

Me to.

--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org

Don Stockbauer

Sep 8, 2008, 8:58:39 AM9/8/08
On Sep 8, 12:35 am, Tian <tnhar...@aceweb.com> wrote:
> Don Stockbauer wrote:

> >> You know, what I've written the past few days is boring beyond
> >> comprehension.  I'll quit at this point and wait for the normal boffo
> >> contributions come in.
>
> > Still waiting.
>
> Me to.

Ditto.

Mudge

Sep 8, 2008, 1:05:49 PM9/8/08

On 09/08/2008 06:58:39 Don Stockbauer wibbled

> Ditto.

ZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZ

Don Stockbauer

Sep 8, 2008, 1:44:53 PM9/8/08
On Sep 8, 12:05 pm, Mudge <Mu...@nospam.ever> wrote:
> On 09/08/2008 06:58:39 Don Stockbauer wibbled
>
> > Ditto.
>
> ZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZ8ZZZ

Sorry I'm not entertaining yall.

Perhaps someone has something the least bit interesting to say?

Asking for a lot, I know.

I know the solution:

ALT.FAN.HOFSTADTER

R.I.P.

"They almost had all the answers, then they fizzled out."

Mudge

Sep 8, 2008, 2:42:07 PM9/8/08

On 09/08/2008 11:44:53 Don Stockbauer wrote:

> "They almost had all the answers, then they fizzled out."

A few years ago a few of us found an "empty" newgroup "alt.funnytown"
and moved in, lock, stock, frangipanni tree and large comfy chair - now
there's about 50 post a day of sheer and utter drivel and inaneness -
sort of like your fence post holey thing - ya could join us.

By the way, we also discovered "alt.history.richard-iii" which looked to
us like it were empty but some lurking Richardians were narsty to us so
we chose funnytown where the sun always shines and folks from all over
the globe drop in from time to time

Don Stockbauer

Sep 8, 2008, 6:38:03 PM9/8/08
On Sep 8, 1:42 pm, Mudge <Mu...@nospam.ever> wrote:
> On 09/08/2008 11:44:53 Don Stockbauer wrote:
>
> > "They almost had all the answers, then they fizzled out."
>
> A few years ago a few of us found an "empty" newgroup "alt.funnytown"
> and moved in, lock, stock, frangipanni tree and large comfy chair - now
> there's about 50 post a day of sheer and utter drivel and inaneness -
> sort of like your fence post holey thing - ya could join us.
>
> By the way, we also discovered "alt.history.richard-iii" which looked to
> us like it were empty but some lurking Richardians were narsty to us so
> we chose funnytown where the sun always shines and folks from all over
> the globe drop in from time to time

OK.

uk.rec.sheds is like that. They say that they branched off from
uk.rec.gardening when it got too critical of frivolity. Now
uk.rec.sheds discusses anything.

I checked into alt.fan.rawilson and I swear to God that it had been
hijacked, only to have scores of RAW fans come out of the nooks and
crannies like yelow jackets and attack your humble narrator.

Anyway, so, alt.funnytown it is, will czech it out.

Maybe I'll go down in usenet history as the guy that fubared
alt.fan.hofstadter. But I have the defence thta if anyone ever posted
Hofstadter stuff, I was right there to support it.

My corn-shucks is clear.

Tian

Sep 9, 2008, 6:05:41 PM9/9/08
Mudge wrote:

> On 09/08/2008 11:44:53 Don Stockbauer wrote:
>
>> "They almost had all the answers, then they fizzled out."
>

> A few years ago a few of us found an "empty" newgroup "alt.funnytown"
> and moved in, lock, stock, frangipanni tree and large comfy chair - now
> there's about 50 post a day of sheer and utter drivel and inaneness -
> sort of like your fence post holey thing - ya could join us.
>
> By the way, we also discovered "alt.history.richard-iii" which looked to
> us like it were empty but some lurking Richardians were narsty to us so
> we chose funnytown where the sun always shines and folks from all over
> the globe drop in from time to time

Funnytown just sounds like the place to go for a laugh.

Tian

Sep 9, 2008, 6:09:31 PM9/9/08

A lot of newsgroups simmered down when the novelty of newsgroups faded.
Many of the people that were involved were expecting more something for
nothing. That never lasts. I prefer to think you were just the only
pioneer that toughed out the drought. The question is, how do we build
on that? It's thin soup, all things considered.

> My corn-shucks is clear.

Hay! (Points to large bundles of dried grass.)

Mudge

Sep 9, 2008, 6:35:50 PM9/9/08

On 09/09/2008 16:05:41 Tian wrote:

> Funnytown just sounds like the place to go for a laugh.

You'ld be welcomed - might even tell you where we hide the gin !

Don Stockbauer

Sep 9, 2008, 7:56:28 PM9/9/08

Czech out the nun jokes I made there yesterday (In funnytown) -
absolutely hilarious, if I do say so myself.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 9, 2008, 8:00:01 PM9/9/08
On Sep 9, 5:05 pm, Tian <tnhar...@aceweb.com> wrote:
> Mudge wrote:
>
> > On 09/08/2008 11:44:53 Don Stockbauer wrote:
>
> >> "They almost had all the answers, then they fizzled out."
>
> > A few years ago a few of us found an "empty" newgroup "alt.funnytown"
> > and moved in, lock, stock, frangipanni tree and large comfy chair - now
> > there's about 50 post a day of sheer and utter drivel and inaneness -
> > sort of like your fence post holey thing - ya could join us.
>
> > By the way, we also discovered "alt.history.richard-iii" which looked to
> > us like it were empty but some lurking Richardians were narsty to us so
> > we chose funnytown where the sun always shines and folks from all over
> > the globe drop in from time to time
>
> Funnytown just sounds like the place to go for a laugh.

Much more than Funkytown, which has a rendering plant at it's center.

(Have any of you ever been in a rendering plant in the summer (where
people bring dead animals)? I mean, it stinks so bad you cannot
imagine anyone actually working there.)

Don Stockbauer

Sep 9, 2008, 8:04:41 PM9/9/08

I've tended to look on it as maybe I was just too opinionated and
people got sick of it and stayed away. But we do see legit Hofstadter
topics raised now and then, like the record-player breaking record
topic recently. So I suppose the thing to do is to just go on as
normal. After all, like Mudge said, nobody's complaining.

Mudge

Sep 9, 2008, 8:27:40 PM9/9/08

On 09/09/2008 17:56:28 Don Stockbauer wrote:

> Czech out the nun jokes I made there yesterday (In funnytown) - absolutely
> hilarious, if I do say so myself.

And I whizzed right by them without noticing - sawrey !

Don Stockbauer

Sep 10, 2008, 5:06:44 AM9/10/08
On Sep 9, 7:27 pm, Mudge <Mu...@nospam.ever> wrote:
> On 09/09/2008 17:56:28 Don Stockbauer wrote:
>
> > Czech out the nun jokes I made there yesterday (In funnytown) - absolutely
> > hilarious, if I do say so myself.
>
> And I whizzed right by them without noticing - sawrey !

Owl prolly get all kinds of complaints from nones! ha! As if n e
body paize n e atten-shun to me. Poor widdle me! (Moon River is
playing right now, 4:05 am CDT KVIC Victoria , Texas)

Tian

Sep 10, 2008, 4:07:38 PM9/10/08

The soundtrack here is this movie from a few years ago about a Black guy
running for President playing on Sarah's laptop. I can hear it, but the
screen is pointed in such a way that I can't see it.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 10, 2008, 5:19:52 PM9/10/08
On Sep 10, 3:07 pm, Tian <tnhar...@aceweb.com> wrote:
> Don Stockbauer wrote:

> >> And I whizzed right by them without noticing - sawrey !
>
> > Owl prolly get all kinds of complaints from nones!  ha!  As if n e
> > body paize n e atten-shun to me.  Poor widdle me! (Moon River is
> > playing right now, 4:05 am CDT KVIC  Victoria , Texas)
>
> The soundtrack here is this movie from a few years ago about a Black guy
> running for President playing on Sarah's laptop. I can hear it, but the
> screen is pointed in such a way that I can't see it.

Beep beep beep -- warning ---entire area here will prolly be devasted
(that's de vasted, I guess) by Himicane Ike Saturday . Beep beep beep
- may not be on the air much --- as if anyone cared ---beep beep -
probably cause for celebration----beep beep.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 11, 2008, 10:26:11 AM9/11/08

Sorry about all that. Seems like maybe it'll go more towards Lake
Jackson/Houson. Am in better mood. Scintillating dialectic may
resume now.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 11, 2008, 1:12:42 PM9/11/08

Won't have to put up those custom cut plywood sheets for the patio big
glass panes now.

How do hurricanes fit into the Global Brain model?

Don Stockbauer

Sep 11, 2008, 7:05:04 PM9/11/08

Hurricanes? We don't need no stinkin' hurricanes!

Don Stockbauer

Sep 11, 2008, 11:04:39 PM9/11/08

Oook. Oook. Eeek. Eeek.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 12, 2008, 7:26:13 AM9/12/08

Big mo-fo hurricane.

Tian

Sep 12, 2008, 4:33:10 PM9/12/08
Don Stockbauer wrote:

> How do hurricanes fit into the Global Brain model?

They are mood swings. Or maybe they are adrenaline jolts. Or maybe they
are a slap in the face. Or maybe they are strokes or heart attacks.
Depends on the affect you want to achieve in the minds of the readers.

Tian

Sep 12, 2008, 4:41:36 PM9/12/08
Don Stockbauer wrote:

> Oook. Oook. Eeek. Eeek.

This seven sided (as opposed to round, it's still flat) Jamaican
one dollar coin featuring "The Rt. Excellent Sir Alexander Bustamante"
goes in the green piggy bank.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 12, 2008, 9:12:10 PM9/12/08
On Sep 12, 3:33 pm, Tian <tnhar...@aceweb.com> wrote:
> Don Stockbauer wrote:
>
> > How do hurricanes fit into the Global Brain model?
>
> They are mood swings. Or maybe they are adrenaline jolts. Or maybe they
> are a slap in the face. Or maybe they are strokes or heart attacks.
> Depends on the affect you want to achieve in the minds of the readers.

Since almost everybody thinks it's a totally nutso theory, what I try
to achieve is irrelevant. What I do achieve is dismissal.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 12, 2008, 9:13:25 PM9/12/08
On Sep 12, 3:41 pm, Tian <tnhar...@aceweb.com> wrote:
> Don Stockbauer wrote:
>
> > Oook.  Oook.  Eeek.  Eeek.
>
> This seven sided (as opposed to round, it's still flat) Jamaican
> one dollar coin featuring "The Rt. Excellent Sir Alexander Bustamante"
> goes in the green piggy bank.

Didja drill a hole in it first? That way, to some future
civilization, it'll be valuable as a washer.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 14, 2008, 11:19:28 PM9/14/08

So, like , alt.fan.hofstadter. That could mean, like, in the
Hofstadter household there are two fans for moving air, a primary and
a backup. If the primary malfunctions then he would have to go to
the ......

alt.fan.hofstadter

No applause, uh save it for the end.

Tian

Sep 15, 2008, 1:50:33 AM9/15/08

Maybe, but every day somebody else is born. Maybe someone will develop
into a reader as a volunteer. If you show them a good face maybe the
story will have a different ending.

--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org
Latest: Added free "POWER TO THE PEOPLE - McKinney 2008" sticker offer.

I still have about 471ish "POWER TO THE PEOPLE - McKinney 2008" stickers.

Tian

Don Stockbauer

Sep 15, 2008, 9:02:21 AM9/15/08
On Sep 15, 12:50 am, Tian <tnhar...@aceweb.com> wrote:
> Don Stockbauer wrote:

> >> They are mood swings. Or maybe they are adrenaline jolts. Or maybe they
> >> are a slap in the face. Or maybe they are strokes or heart attacks.
> >> Depends on the affect you want to achieve in the minds of the readers.
>
> > Since almost everybody thinks it's a totally nutso theory, what I try
> > to achieve is irrelevant.  What I do achieve is dismissal.
>
> Maybe, but every day somebody else is born. Maybe someone will develop
> into a reader as a volunteer. If you show them a good face maybe the
> story will have a different ending.

I have to ask you what you consider to be "a good face"?

Actually, I don't mention the Global Brain too much anymore since it
was becoming like that guy you know who forces their pet subject it
into every conversation. So I just bop along being my old silly self,
and maybe rarely mention it if it fits in.

People's problems. In Houston they're doing without electricity, and
here I'm worried about someone's cow that's wandered onto the ranch.

Don Stockbauer

Sep 15, 2008, 9:04:46 AM9/15/08
On Sep 15, 12:53 am, Tian <tnhar...@aceweb.com> wrote:
> Don Stockbauer wrote:

> >> Didja drill a hole in it first?  That way, to some future
> >> civilization, it'll be valuable as a washer.
>
> > So, like , alt.fan.hofstadter.  That could mean, like, in the
> > Hofstadter household there are two fans for moving air, a primary and
> > a backup.  If the primary malfunctions then he would have to go to
> > the ......
>
> > alt.fan.hofstadter
>
> > No applause, uh save it for the end.
>
> On the radio some guy is singing "she don't like it when I cry"
> or something else with "she don't" and "cry" around it.

Maybe "she don't cry when she hears about the Global Brain"?

Don Stockbauer

May 17, 2019, 9:10:25 AM5/17/19
so whatever happened to you, Tian?

Don Stockbauer

May 17, 2019, 9:16:28 AM5/17/19
I'm not paying anyone to do anything .and also after you have a revolution you're right back where you started.

Don Stockbauer

Oct 13, 2019, 4:56:03 AM10/13/19
One guy I was talking to said he would never live somewhere where there wasn't a fast Internet connection. How sickening can you get it? Eliminating all the beautiful places on Earth.

Course we do have this star link thingy going up.
OK unless you want to do Astro photography.

Don Stockbauer

Nov 21, 2019, 6:29:24 AM11/21/19
odd how someone can drift out of your life forever yet you can go back and read what they want to say , kind of like ancient descriptions of ancient now destroyed objects , the objects are destroyed but the written text remains and could theoretically remain throughout all time.

Don Stockbauer

Dec 12, 2019, 2:50:27 PM12/12/19
I don't have a good face to show anyone. So what are you doing nowadays ? still collecting change that represents change ? still riding your bicycle? still protesting? Changing the world via stickers? Still dropping change into a box which is done to accomplish some purpose? Mudge is no longer around to claim that Hofstadter doesn't exist.

Don Stockbauer

Dec 12, 2019, 2:53:13 PM12/12/19
Gravity didn't exist until Newton. he invented the word and defined the concept.