Hofstadter “discussion” six.

Don Stockbauer

Dec 25, 2017, 10:56:38 PM12/25/17
AI means smart computers. Now, your strongest systems are humans in synergism with machines. AI is fine as long as we’re not trying to make completely mechanical systems. We should be aiming at making machines smarter so they can work in synergism with humans better. IMHO.
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Dec 28, 2017, 1:37:07 AM12/28/17
I think true AI will be achieved when dictation software is 100 percent accurate.

Don Stockbauer

Dec 29, 2017, 10:45:26 AM12/29/17
The best way to detect extraterrestrial civilizations is for the Earth to become a stronger tool for detecting them via some mechanism.

Don Stockbauer

Dec 29, 2017, 11:05:02 AM12/29/17
What’s wrong with Trump colluding with Russia? Russia is populated by
Homo sapiens, isn’t it?

Don Stockbauer

Jan 2, 2018, 12:44:04 AM1/2/18
If one could show that all human and machine communication has the form of neural network communication, wouldn’t that prove the Global Brain right there?

Don Stockbauer

Jan 3, 2018, 7:55:41 AM1/3/18
I wonder if the global brain model is correct?

Don Stockbauer

Jan 5, 2018, 6:21:36 AM1/5/18
So, the more the global brain is discussed the more self-awareness it achieves, and greater self-awareness translates into greater intelligence, just as humans have greater self-awareness than chimpanzees and are thus more intelligent.

Don Stockbauer

Jan 6, 2018, 11:23:38 AM1/6/18
What the global brain needs to become stronger and stronger is discussion of it.

Don Stockbauer

Jan 6, 2018, 11:19:06 PM1/6/18
Is your mind a tool?

Don Stockbauer

Jan 8, 2018, 9:30:46 PM1/8/18
Hunter gatherers were really primitive people, but think about this. You go to your office, you hunt for information, you gather it together and put it in a report for your boss - you’re a hunter gatherer. Only the level of the content has risen.
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Jan 11, 2018, 9:49:48 AM1/11/18
I am the modren man.

With parts made in Japan.
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Jan 12, 2018, 5:22:19 PM1/12/18
All this talk about illegal immigration, why is it that when you look at the photographs of the entire Earth as seen from space you don’t see any national boundaries except maybe for all those trees they cut down between the USA and Canada.

Don Stockbauer

Jan 12, 2018, 10:25:41 PM1/12/18
I’m a cowboy,
On a steel horse I ride.
I’m wanted,
Dead or Alive.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Jan 26, 2018, 11:39:14 AM1/26/18
Self – organization does the work for you.

Don Stockbauer

Jan 27, 2018, 8:51:48 PM1/27/18
What’s really going on, with the global brain and everything, makes Science Fiction look like a Dick and Jane story.

Don Stockbauer

Jan 27, 2018, 10:18:37 PM1/27/18
Let me please introduce myself, I’m a man of wealth and taste.

Don Stockbauer

Jan 29, 2018, 7:10:43 AM1/29/18
(Your erudite comment here.)

Don Stockbauer

Jan 29, 2018, 7:13:53 PM1/29/18
I can see the Belt of Venus.

Don Stockbauer

Jan 31, 2018, 4:59:52 AM1/31/18
I can see the jockstrap of Jupiter.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 1, 2018, 6:38:16 AM2/1/18
So is your glass half empty, or half full, or the excluded middle?

Or maybe one quarter full, and three quarters empty,....infinity.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 3, 2018, 8:18:23 AM2/3/18
There’s one area in which people have infinite power over you and you’re helpless: the ability to leave you.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 3, 2018, 8:21:34 AM2/3/18
I’d love to change the world,

but I don’t know what to do.

So I leave it up to you.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 8, 2018, 11:22:36 PM2/8/18
Hofstadter cannot consistently assert this statement.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 12, 2018, 9:47:24 AM2/12/18
One could possibly liken the task of improvising a six-part fugue to the playing of 60 simultaneous blind games of chess, and winning them all. To improvise an 8 part fugue is really beyond human capability.

- GEB

beyond human capability?

Famous last words.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 13, 2018, 8:37:32 AM2/13/18
Boy, things are sure getting complex, aren’t they? But then, complexity is intelligence, isn’t it?

Don Stockbauer

Feb 13, 2018, 11:57:15 AM2/13/18
With every mistake we must surely be learning.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 14, 2018, 7:52:36 AM2/14/18
How can one decide what to post when there are a near infinity of statements one could post?

Don Stockbauer

Feb 14, 2018, 4:21:29 PM2/14/18
Is Maria there?
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Feb 17, 2018, 8:39:19 AM2/17/18
What a paradox. You complain to your friend that he or she is not talking to you enough. That makes them not want to talk to you.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 18, 2018, 6:28:34 PM2/18/18
My favorite part of the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey isn’t that little baby feller there at the end but it’s when Bowman uses the hands of the Betty to open the airlock. A refreshing example of mechanics beating electronics.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 18, 2018, 6:33:04 PM2/18/18
Will so-called “super intelligent” AIs be protected against someone opening a back panel and sloshing in a gallon of water.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 25, 2018, 7:35:12 AM2/25/18
There’s a movie where space aliens attacked a truckload full of chickens being taken to market and brings them back to their home planet for biological research. It’s called Poultry Heist.

Don Stockbauer

Feb 27, 2018, 2:19:25 AM2/27/18
There was a movie where dishonest grocers injected water into the meat they sold to increase its weight. It was called “Altered Steaks.”

Don Stockbauer

Feb 27, 2018, 8:54:06 AM2/27/18
Things are sure getting complicated, aren’t they? Does complication translate into intelligence?

Don Stockbauer

Feb 27, 2018, 11:03:20 PM2/27/18
“As I ramshack their homes they want to shake my hand.”

Don Stockbauer

Feb 28, 2018, 6:08:29 AM2/28/18
100 billion stars in the galaxy. 100 billion galaxies in the universe. So if we go extinct, what’s the impact on the universe? Kind a like well we’re gonna have to let you go. there’s 1000 people waiting in line for your job

Don Stockbauer

Mar 2, 2018, 6:27:15 PM3/2/18
Why is there anything at all?
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Mar 5, 2018, 8:14:43 AM3/5/18
Does it pay to destabilize the world situation with bluffs?

Don Stockbauer

Mar 6, 2018, 11:29:24 PM3/6/18
What was the first computer program that you wrote? Mine was to numerically integrate the restricted three-body problem using the Runge-Kutta method.

In my days back in the 70s computers weren’t very available to individuals. The first time I used one was as a junior in college , believe it or not.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 9, 2018, 6:03:11 AM3/9/18
Thank you, Professor Jeffries.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 12, 2018, 8:03:44 AM3/12/18
The Control Data Corporation 66/6400 was a mighty fine machine, you betcha.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 14, 2018, 7:32:39 AM3/14/18
So was the Cyber 74.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 14, 2018, 7:35:30 AM3/14/18
Let us close our eyes while satellites go on much faster.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 15, 2018, 1:42:42 PM3/15/18
Eating at Fossati’s.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 17, 2018, 7:37:33 PM3/17/18
In San Antonio in observance of the Green River.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 17, 2018, 7:43:17 PM3/17/18
What if there was a planet where it was required by law if you receive a message from someone you must return it. Professor Hofstadter thought this was a truly horrible idea, who came up with such a horrible concept? I told him I did ; no one ever returns my messages . I would like to see people forced to do that and since you Professor Hofstadter returned my message here, I thank you.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 20, 2018, 5:43:08 AM3/20/18
Do you think that we humans would be better off now had we never developed language?

Don Stockbauer

Mar 22, 2018, 11:00:18 PM3/22/18
Wondering about how the human race would be if it had never developed language is kind of like wondering what the human race would be like had there been no oxygen in our atmosphere.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 26, 2018, 9:49:48 AM3/26/18
This is the way the world goes. Not with a bang, but a whimsy. – Kurt Vonnegut

Don Stockbauer

Mar 27, 2018, 6:50:25 AM3/27/18
What happens when the world gets so complicated no one can deal with it anymore?

Don Stockbauer

Mar 27, 2018, 8:34:42 PM3/27/18
It’s about there for me already.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 27, 2018, 9:44:41 PM3/27/18
Can a networked Humanity pull it off?

Don Stockbauer

Mar 27, 2018, 10:10:22 PM3/27/18
The Earth becomes overpopulated. Overpopulation means more nodes for the global brain. More nodes mean a more intelligent global brain. A more intelligent global brain solves the overpopulation problem.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 29, 2018, 8:19:47 AM3/29/18
Your death, which is eternal, has no more significance than a single flake of snow evaporating back into the cold mountain air.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 29, 2018, 8:55:28 AM3/29/18
Feats don’t fail me now.

Don Stockbauer

Mar 31, 2018, 5:35:22 AM3/31/18
How many sentences are there?

Well ,

1 is a number.
2 is a number.
3 is a number.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Apr 3, 2018, 8:20:33 AM4/3/18
(Your witty comment here).

Don Stockbauer

Apr 6, 2018, 9:58:41 AM4/6/18
I think our civilization is advancing as fast as detonated nuclear weapon but nobody notices because of the “a rising tide raises all boats” effect. Wouldn’t it be neat if our global civilization becomes one of the top ones in the entire Universe?

Don Stockbauer

Apr 8, 2018, 12:04:15 PM4/8/18
I remember a Star Trek: The Next Generation where Picard comes to our time and someone asks him what his salary is (you may have seen this). Now, I’m paraphrasing, he replied, “We don’t have salaries in my time. Everybody as a birthright is given all they need for survival. On top of that, each of us is given access to the entire riches of our civilization and they are beyond your wildest imagination.”

Don Stockbauer

Apr 10, 2018, 11:33:58 AM4/10/18

It seems to me that the way we handle messages, writing them, reading them, deleting them, archiving them, etc is what forms the global communication network into an artificial neural network. Once it has the form of a neural network the global brain falls right out of that.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Apr 11, 2018, 10:08:33 PM4/11/18
Does anyone know the formula relating the number of degrees below the horizon the sun is and the altitude of the shadow wedge directly opposite the sun? I thought I had it figured out geometrically that the answer is the two numbers are the same; however, preliminary observations indicate that the shadow wedge rises much more quickly than that.

Don Stockbauer

Apr 13, 2018, 8:36:01 AM4/13/18
You see, when the sun is 1° down the light rays should pass over your head and create a shadow wedge 1° high above the opposite horizon. But it seems like the shadow wedge rises much more quickly than that. I built a way to measure degrees but every day since I built it there’s been clouds on the eastern horizon at sunset making the wedge impossible to see , but I will keep on until successful . A partial success was had yesterday , the shadow wedge seemed to be 6° tall when the sun was 2° down. Our friend the Internet describes the shadow wedge but doesn’t seem to have any information on what I’ve been talking about here.

Don Stockbauer

Apr 13, 2018, 11:38:59 AM4/13/18
Sickness will surely take the mind where minds don’t usually go. Come on the amazing journey, and learn all you should know.

Don Stockbauer

Apr 14, 2018, 6:23:39 AM4/14/18
Of course it would help to receive feedback from people, but that certainly is too much to ask for.