Hilton's bizarre 1967 plan for a space hotel

a425couple

Jun 11, 2021, 1:45:32 PM6/11/21
from
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/hilton-hotel-on-moon-scn-cmd/index.html?fbclid=IwAR1AlruqkKxHty9efbiqpT6HewDeBJmQ0rUYi8OvxKzV39iDAYImq4SIUi0

Hilton's bizarre 1967 plan for a space hotel
Jacopo Prisco, CNN • Updated 7th June 2021

2001 space odyssey hilton hotel RESTRICTED
LunarHiltonDrawings1-Edit
LunarHiltonDrawings2-Edit
LunarHiltonDrawings3-Edit
LunarHiltonDrawings4-Edit
lunar hilton-Edit
LunarHiltonDrawings7-Edit
LunarHiltonDrawings6-Edit
Lunar Hilton Key
LunarHiltonDrawings9
Lunar Hilton parade
1/11
'2001: A Space Odyssey': Director Stanley Kubrick's Cult sci-fi movie
"2001: A Space Odyssey" included a scene set in a Hilton space hotel.
Alamy

(CNN) — Two years before Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon, the Hilton
chain of hotels was already planning to welcome guests in space.
"Scarcely a day goes by when someone doesn't ask me, jovially, when the
Lunar Hilton is going to be opened. They're joking, of course -- but I
don't see it as a joke at all," said Barron Hilton at an American
Astronomical Society conference in Dallas on May 2, 1967.
Hilton, who was then the president of the family business, proceeded to
lay out a detailed plan that included both orbiting and lunar hotels.
"By 1967, we'd only been doing jet travel for less than 10 years, so
this was really a far-reaching concept," says Mark E. Young, a
hospitality industry historian at the University of Houston.

"But it got a lot of attention: It was in newspapers for the next
several days, and not only in the US but around the world. People wrote
letters asking to sign reservations. In some ways it was Barron's
greatest PR coup."
Orbital capsule
LunarHiltonDrawings2-Edit
The hotel's reception would be on the Moon's surface, with rooms beneath.
University of Houston Hilton Archives
Barron Hilton was an aviation enthusiast who could fly airplanes,
gliders, helicopters and hot air balloons. He organized flying
competitions and get-togethers with pilots and astronauts at his "Flying
M" ranch in Nevada, which included an airfield.
He has a gallery named after him at the Smithsonian National Air & Space
Museum. Space was his next frontier: "I firmly believe that we are going
to have Hiltons in outer space, perhaps even soon enough for me to
officiate at the formal opening of the first," he told attendees in Dallas.
Related content
First space tourist: 'It was the greatest moment of my life'
He died in 2019 and never saw his dream realized, but with space tourism
potentially just around the corner and commercial space stations not too
far away, an actual space hotel doesn't sound too farfetched anymore.
First on his road map was the Orbiter Hilton, a sort of space laboratory
whose 14 levels were designed to accommodate up to 24 people. It was
intended for "short trips in space," such as stopovers on a journey to
the moon or another planet, and would welcome guests arriving in "a
six-man ferrycraft," Hilton explained.
Lunar hotel
LunarHiltonDrawings4-Edit
The hotel was designed with a bar where guests could order cocktails.
University of Houston Hilton Archives
Once the orbital capsules were established, Hilton's next step was to
build a fully fledged underground hotel on the moon, the Lunar Hilton.
The entrance would have been at surface level, with the rest of the
structure 20 to 30 feet underground, to keep a constant temperature more
easily -- surface temperature on the moon can vary from a scalding 260 F
(127 C) to a freezing -280 F (-173 C).
The Lunar Hilton was designed with three levels: a mechanical one at the
bottom for all the equipment and engineering; a middle one with two
400-foot corridors containing 100 guest rooms; and a top one for public
space, including a cocktail lounge.
Related content
World's first space hotel scheduled to open in 2027
"The bartenders will have an easy job," Hilton said. "They will push a
button and out will come a pre-measured, pre-cooled mixture of pure
ethyl alcohol and distilled water. Into the mixture the bartender drops
a tablet -- martini, Manhattan, scotch, gin -- you name it. Instant drink!"
Cooking, rather worryingly, would be done in a "nuclear-reactor kitchen,
mostly by machines."
The rooms would look remarkably like those on regular Hiltons.
"They wanted to retain as much of the feel of a hotel room on Earth as
they could, within the limitations of space technology -- which is kind
of interesting, I think, because if you're an astronaut, that's probably
the last thing you're worried about," said Young.
The key
Lunar Hilton Key
Key to the Moon: As a gimmick, Hilton had a key made for its Lunar hotel.
University of Houston Hilton Archives
To better sell the idea, Hilton consulted with Don Douglas, then
chairman of the McDonnell Douglas aircraft manufacturer, with a
feasibility study done by students at Cornell University, who came
complete with some interesting sketches and props.
Among them is a mockup of a room reservation, which hilariously mandates
"After 1980" as the arrival date, as well as an imaginary key to one of
the rooms. "I love that, because they were trying to imagine what the
key of the future would look like in 1967," says Young.
Related content
Look inside the first luxury space hotel
"So they came up with a sleek-looking key, but what we've actually been
using as hotel keys for the last 25 years or so -- the key card -- was
really beyond their comprehension."
There were other things beyond comprehension at the time, as Hilton made
clear: "Water, oxygen, weightlessness -- such problems are being
studied. If they cannot be solved, we cannot have a space Hilton," he
said. In 1968, a year later, the idea was brought to life with even more
visual flair in Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece "2001: A Space Odyssey,"
which included a scene in the lounge area of a Hilton space hotel.
But was Hilton truly convinced he could build an orbiting hotel in his
lifetime? "I think it was three-quarters fun, but one quarter serious,"
says Young. "We hadn't even landed on the moon yet, but if NASA was ever
to be serious about putting a hotel up there or something like that,
Hilton wanted to be first in line."