About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)

7 views
Skip to first unread message

a425couple

unread,
Apr 11, 2022, 5:11:11 PMApr 11
to
About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)

It was loosely based on the 1963 French novel
La Planète des Singes by Pierre Boulle.
"Planet of the Apes" is a 1968 American science fiction film
directed by Franklin J. Schaffner and stared Charlton Heston
and Roddy McDowall.
Interesting, 5 movies and a television series.

A wise acre just posted on the Heinlein FB group,

"I've wondered why, in the original Ape movie, Heston never
looked at the night sky and saw the moon. Surely that would
have tipped him off sooner."

--- Because movie makers can control and direct and
channel our thoughts? !

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

unread,
Apr 11, 2022, 5:27:49 PMApr 11
to
a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:OP05K.213128$OT%
7.9...@fx07.iad:
My favorite answer:

"The moon blasted out of orbit on September 13, 1999."

(The script writers basically ignored the issue by throwing in a
random line by one of the astronauts about there being no moon.
Otherwise, the big reveal at the end would have been s small bit of
trivia at hte beginning.)

--
Terry Austin

Proof that Alan Baker is a liar and a fool, and even stupider than
Lynn:
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/collection/QaXQkB

John

unread,
Apr 11, 2022, 6:12:36 PMApr 11
to
On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 14:11:27 -0700, a425couple
<a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)
>
>It was loosely based on the 1963 French novel
>La Plančte des Singes by Pierre Boulle.

Roughly translatable as "Monkey World".

>"Planet of the Apes" is a 1968 American science fiction film
>directed by Franklin J. Schaffner and stared Charlton Heston
>and Roddy McDowall.
>Interesting, 5 movies and a television series.
>
>A wise acre just posted on the Heinlein FB group,
>
>"I've wondered why, in the original Ape movie, Heston never
>looked at the night sky and saw the moon. Surely that would
>have tipped him off sooner."

No necessarily. *Lots* of worlds have moons and Mr. Heston wasn't an
astronomer he was a gladiator or something.

In addition to which, it was daylight a lot of the time and everyone
knows that Earth's Moon is the ruler of the *night*.

Also, he had arguing with monkeys to do, which occupied some of his
time.

>
>--- Because movie makers can control and direct and
>channel our thoughts? !

That, too.

They have a couple of hours to tell what can be incredibly complex
and long stories. Obviously some minor details get elided along the
way.

Note that Mr. Heston didn't notice Sol, Mars, Venus, Jupiter, Orion,
the Plough or several dozen other indicators that he was back on
planet Earth, including the environmental variables such as air,
temperature, gravity and length of day. He didn't even notice that the
local star was of an *identical* brightness to the one that shines
upon the Earth. *I* would have but, as said above, he wasn't an
astronaut.

He was a Roman Gladiator.

J.

John

unread,
Apr 11, 2022, 6:45:14 PMApr 11
to
On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 14:27:44 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
<taus...@gmail.com> wrote:

>a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:OP05K.213128$OT%
>7.9...@fx07.iad:
>
>> About "Planet of the Apes" (face slap!)
>>
>> It was loosely based on the 1963 French novel
>> La Plan??te des Singes by Pierre Boulle.
>> "Planet of the Apes" is a 1968 American science fiction film
>> directed by Franklin J. Schaffner and stared Charlton Heston
>> and Roddy McDowall.
>> Interesting, 5 movies and a television series.
>>
>> A wise acre just posted on the Heinlein FB group,
>>
>> "I've wondered why, in the original Ape movie, Heston never
>> looked at the night sky and saw the moon. Surely that would
>> have tipped him off sooner."
>>
>> --- Because movie makers can control and direct and
>> channel our thoughts? !
>
>My favorite answer:
>
>"The moon blasted out of orbit on September 13, 1999."

Alternate History Fiction. The same genre as "2001", "2010", "2012",
"U.F.O." (based in 1980, with a huge Moonbase) and the entire serial
"Millennium".

Not to be confused with things like "Apollo 13" which are "Historical
Drama".

That amuses me a lot. I saw that one happen "live".

>
>(The script writers basically ignored the issue by throwing in a
>random line by one of the astronauts about there being no moon.
>Otherwise, the big reveal at the end would have been s small bit of
>trivia at hte beginning.)

I was rather surprised that the fucking *huge* USAF painted on the
missiles didn't clue in anyone.

No, they probably didn't show those markings on-screen but absolutely
*everything* in that country is marked with the flag and some logo.

And the ground is knee-deep in Coca-cola tins and other trash such as
roads, buildings, dams, Burning Man debris, MAGA hats, Masks, fag ends
and vehicles.

Palaeontologists have calculated it would take many, many millions of
years to erase the footprints of Humanity. Missiles would be unlikely
to stay ready for that long and random bits of statuary would vanish
along with the millions of steel and concrete constructions long
before the cities and roadways.

Mr. Heston not *immediately* recognising Earth is extremely unlikely.
Hell, the *guns* were a clue-by-four.

J.


Joe Pfeiffer

unread,
Apr 13, 2022, 10:56:12 PMApr 13
to
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taus...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> My favorite answer:
>
> "The moon blasted out of orbit on September 13, 1999."
>
> (The script writers basically ignored the issue by throwing in a
> random line by one of the astronauts about there being no moon.
> Otherwise, the big reveal at the end would have been s small bit of
> trivia at hte beginning.)

I didn't (frankly, still don't) remember that. But.... did they provide
any explanation for there not being a moon any more? Or is the humorous
answer at the beginning of your post really all we've got?

Ninapenda Jibini

unread,
Apr 16, 2022, 1:50:23 AMApr 16
to
Joe Pfeiffer <pfei...@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote in
news:1bbkx4n...@pfeifferfamily.net:

> Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha <taus...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> My favorite answer:
>>
>> "The moon blasted out of orbit on September 13, 1999."
>>
>> (The script writers basically ignored the issue by throwing in
>> a random line by one of the astronauts about there being no
>> moon. Otherwise, the big reveal at the end would have been s
>> small bit of trivia at hte beginning.)
>
> I didn't (frankly, still don't) remember that. But.... did they
> provide any explanation for there not being a moon any more?

They did not. That was the point.

--
Terry Austin

Proof that Alan Baker is a liar and a fool, and even stupider than
Lynn:
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration


"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole."
-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages