Happy RAH Day!

Nyssa

Jul 7, 2021, 8:31:13 AMJul 7
Today marks another anniversary of The Master's birth.

Celebrate it!

I first discovered the science fiction of Robert A. Heinlein
when I was in high school and checked out _Citizen of the
Galaxy_. It made a deep impression on me, and I spent the
next few years seeking out his other books and stories,
then later purchasing any new ones as they came out.

I think I may spend some time this afternoon re-reading
a few of his short stories.

What was your first introduction to Heinlein?

Nyssa, who wonders how different her outlook in life would
be if she hadn't discovered RAH's books

Michael F. Stemper

Jul 7, 2021, 10:21:24 AMJul 7
On 07/07/2021 07.31, Nyssa wrote:

> I first discovered the science fiction of Robert A. Heinlein
> when I was in high school and checked out _Citizen of the
> Galaxy_. It made a deep impression on me, and I spent the
> next few years seeking out his other books and stories,
> then later purchasing any new ones as they came out.

> What was your first introduction to Heinlein?

The summer of my tenth birthday, I checked out _Tunnel in the
Sky_ from the library. When I got to the last page, I just,
without even thinking about it, flipped back to the first
page and went through it again.

That was the first (possibly only) time that I did that with
anything more sophisticated than an "I can read it myself" book.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Always use apostrophe's and "quotation marks" properly.

Lynn McGuire

Jul 7, 2021, 4:30:56 PMJul 7
Robert A. Heinlein would have been 114 today.

I think that I read "The Star Beast" the first time when I was 8 or 9.
I am not sure at all though.

Lynn

a425couple

Jul 8, 2021, 11:10:36 AMJul 8
On 7/7/2021 5:31 AM, Nyssa wrote:
> Today marks another anniversary of The Master's birth.
>
> Celebrate it!

Yes. Happy Birthday to him.

> I first discovered the science fiction of Robert A. Heinlein
> when I was in high school and checked out _Citizen of the
> Galaxy_. It made a deep impression on me, and I spent the
> next few years seeking out his other books and stories,
> then later purchasing any new ones as they came out.
>
> I think I may spend some time this afternoon re-reading
> a few of his short stories.
>
> What was your first introduction to Heinlein?

Well, in 2005 I wrote,
"For a variety of reasons, I had never read Heinlein.
(I mostly read non-fiction, and rarely read Sci-Fi).
On a recent vacation I read Heinlein's "Starship Troopers".
I liked it very much, and then found a used copy
of "Double Star" in a Latin American store and read it."

It is possible, that that is true.
Or I may have forgotten a lot.

Paul S Person

Jul 8, 2021, 12:47:19 PMJul 8
I don't remember when I first read it, but I cherished the memory over
the years.

Then I re-read it, and found ... that my memory had very little to do
with the actual story.

But look on the bright side -- I got to enjoy it for the first time on
two different occasions!
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."