Thoughts on Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series #1 "In the Balance", #2 & #3.

a425couple

Aug 18, 2021, 5:55:32 PMAug 18
Thoughts on Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series #1 "In the Balance",
#2 & #3.

I quite enjoyed this book, and the 2nd got better, and
IMHO, The 3rd even better! I have not gotten to #4 yet.
It starts in Spring 1942 with WWII in quite full force.
The aliens have around what we might consider 1995
military capability. Turtledove offers the perspective of
about 60 individuals, with sections from 3 to 12 pages long.
So, if bored or unhappy with a section, it will soon change!

"In the Balance (Worldwar #1)"
by Harry Turtledove

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/101527.In_the_Balance?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=QOUy0ilbL8&rank=3

https://www.amazon.com/Balance-Worldwar-Book-One-ebook/dp/B000FBFOQY
In the Balance (Worldwar, Book One) (Worldwar Series 1)
by Harry Turtledove

"Suppose Roosevelt, Stalin, Churchill, Hitler, and Hirohito had
united to conquer an even greater foe?
No one could top their power—not the Germans, not the Japanese,
not the Russians, not the United States.
From Pearl Harbor to panzers rolling through Paris to the Siege
of Leningrad and the Battle of Midway, war seethed across the
planet as flames of destruction rose higher and hotter.

And then, suddenly, the real enemy came.
The invaders seemed unstoppable, their technology far beyond
human reach. And never before had men been more divided. For
Jew to unite with Nazi, American with Japanese, and Russian
with German was unthinkable.
But the alternative was even worse.
As the fate of the world hung in the balance, slowly,
painfully, humankind took up the shocking challenge. . . ."

"Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
This intelligent speculative novel depicts an alternate history
in which, at the height of World War II, Earth is attacked by
alien beings with weapons far more destructive than any possessed
by the Allied or Axis forces. Turtledove ( The Guns of the South )
gives a surprisingly convincing flavor to the time-worn story of
warring nations uniting to repel extraterrestrials; his human
characters, both actual and invented, ring true as they struggle
to trust each other after years of enmity, and although the alien
threat has a B-movie feel, he makes an effort to portray the
invaders sympathetically as well. The first in a projected series,
the book ends where it began: in and around a battle. The smooth
writing is marred only by slightly overdone dialogue for real-life
figures like General Patton. The historical details, especially
those concerning the weapons and methods available in the 1940s
to defend Earth, are accurate and well rendered."

and also
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBFOQE?notRedirectToSDP=1&ref_=dbs_mng_calw_1&storeType=ebooks
Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, Book Two)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G5KGNUU?notRedirectToSDP=1&ref_=dbs_mng_calw_2&storeType=ebooks
Upsetting the Balance (Worldwar, Book Three)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBFOR8?notRedirectToSDP=1&ref_=dbs_mng_calw_3&storeType=ebooks
Striking the Balance (Worldwar, Book Four)

Lynn McGuire

Aug 18, 2021, 6:03:24 PMAug 18
Did you ever see the movie "The Final Countdown" ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Countdown_(film)

Lynn

Chrysi Cat

Aug 18, 2021, 6:14:29 PMAug 18
This, plus the direct sequel series Colonization and the standalone
sequel to THAT Homeward Bound, are really a single massive series.

They're also the last Turtledove where I willingly sought out even the
final books, because of the diabolus ex machina that he needed to drop
on the Confederacy in "The Great War" to properly set up HOW evil it
would get as "Settling Accounts" ramped up.

I'm sorry, but there is no way that the Central Freaking Powers have the
advantage, to the point that they can basically destroy the British
Empire, just because the rump US sided with them rather than the
Entente. Yes, the Confederacy is probably still just a gilded lily.

But Canada should offset that rather than rapidly falling into US hands
the way that Turtledove made it out to. An alt-Great War with both a US
and an expanded Confederacy involved almost certainly ends in something
a LOT closer to status quo ante--

--in just the way the Entente was terrified that the actual OTL war
would, should the Germans not manage to antagonise the American
Expeditionary Forces into existing.

--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger

Chrysi Cat

Aug 18, 2021, 6:16:00 PMAug 18
Doh! I sent that in the wrong fashion! I meant for that version to only
go to a.h.w-i and this added coda to be here!

> (Also, at the time, I didn't believe a surviving Confederacy would by definition have to breed Nazis, and saw it as Harry being obsessed with making some version of that Party pay in every timeline due to his ethnicity. THAT, I was disabused of by the last five years).

a425couple

Aug 18, 2021, 6:41:34 PMAug 18
On 8/18/2021 2:54 PM, a425couple wrote:
> Thoughts on Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series #1 "In the Balance",
> #2 & #3.
>
> I quite enjoyed this book, and the 2nd got better, and
> IMHO, The 3rd even better!  I have not gotten to #4 yet.
> It starts in Spring 1942 with WWII in quite full force.
> The aliens have around what we might consider 1995
> military capability.  Turtledove offers the perspective of
> about 60 individuals, with sections from 3 to 12 pages long.
> So, if bored or unhappy with a section, it will soon change!
>
> "In the Balance (Worldwar #1)"
> by Harry Turtledove
>
> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/101527.In_the_Balance?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=QOUy0ilbL8&rank=3

snip

In case someone wants to see what Wikipedia has to say about the book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwar:_In_the_Balance

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Aug 18, 2021, 8:29:20 PMAug 18
In article <sfjvi...@news2.newsguy.com>,
a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Thoughts on Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series #1 "In the Balance",
>#2 & #3.
>
>I quite enjoyed this book, and the 2nd got better, and
>IMHO, The 3rd even better! I have not gotten to #4 yet.
>It starts in Spring 1942 with WWII in quite full force.
>The aliens have around what we might consider 1995
>military capability. Turtledove offers the perspective of
>about 60 individuals, with sections from 3 to 12 pages long.
>So, if bored or unhappy with a section, it will soon change!

And the problem there is anyone you don't like will be back ad infinitum,
whether the story calls for something from them or not.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Chrysi Cat

Aug 18, 2021, 9:14:48 PMAug 18
Not REALLY. HT is almost as liberal in handing out death to his
characters as Michener was, remember.

Scott Lurndal

Aug 19, 2021, 9:59:21 AMAug 19
In glorious Blu-Ray!

"I say again, splash the zeroes!"

a425couple

Aug 19, 2021, 10:16:23 AMAug 19
Ahhh, not really.
A fair number of characters just never reappear.
And then both people you might really like,
or dislike, get killed. Turtledove is fairly
realistic about the fact that war kills lots.

Paul S Person

Aug 19, 2021, 1:10:23 PMAug 19
Regrettably, yes.

If you're going to do alternate history, then /do alternate history/.
Don't just play around with the idea and then cancel the whole thing.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Aug 19, 2021, 1:40:35 PMAug 19
In article <9p3thgl5kd8bm7cui...@4ax.com>,
Yes, that really ticked me off. John Birmingham's "Axis Of Time" series
did a real take on the same idea though unfortunately it wandered off
the rails a couple of books in.

a425couple

Aug 20, 2021, 11:11:36 AMAug 20
Yes, but this book includes the neat idea,
plus so much more.
Instead of just a couple RF-8s and F-14s, and E-2s
versus some Zeros, this includes planes, infantry,
tanks, scientists and normal workers.

a425couple

Aug 20, 2021, 11:13:36 AMAug 20
> Yes, that really ticked me off. ----

I agree. That movie seemed like it would be good,
then totally lost the plot.

Scott Lurndal

Aug 20, 2021, 11:47:30 AMAug 20
a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com> writes:
>On 8/19/2021 6:59 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> writes:
>>> On 8/18/2021 4:54 PM, a425couple wrote:
>>

>>> Did you ever see the movie "The Final Countdown" ?
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Countdown_(film)
>>
>> In glorious Blu-Ray!
>>
>> "I say again, splash the zeroes!"
>>
>Yes, but this book includes the neat idea,
>plus so much more.

Well, one could argue that the 'neat idea' in
_The Final Countdown_ is the ending rather than
the excellent flying sequences.

The audience expects the massacre of the Japanese
fleet but instead....

Always leave them wanting more.

>Instead of just a couple RF-8s and F-14s, and E-2s

And Intruders, and Corsair IIs, and Vikings.

None of those are still in service today, forty years
later, except for the S-2, which is being replaced by
Ospreys.

Scott Lurndal

Aug 20, 2021, 11:50:16 AMAug 20
Hmm. I've though about this for forty years, and while I also
was disappointed then, I've come to believe that the ending of the
film was much better than it would have been had the ship
not returned. Taylor's _Destroyer_ books explore the concept
of your favored ending if I recall correctly.

Paul S Person

Aug 21, 2021, 12:18:47 PMAug 21
On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 15:50:14 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:
This isn't about returning or not returning.

This is about chickening out.

It could have returned after the surrender of Japan, about two days
later.

But to how different a world?

Now /that's/ a come-on for a sequel!