Goblet of Fire: Harry Potter's entry into Tournament

Timothy Bruening

Jul 31, 2020, 8:26:25 PM7/31/20
The Goblet of Fire choses Harry Potter at the 4th Champion, but Harry denies either putting his name in the Goblet or getting an older student to enter his name for him. Why doesn't anyone suggest comparing the name on the entry form to Harry's handwriting?

Benjamin Esham

Aug 1, 2020, 3:09:27 PM8/1/20
I think it would have been incriminating if the paper had had Harry’s
handwriting on it, but it wouldn’t have proved his innocence if the writing
*hadn’t* been his. If he was willing to have another student drop his name
into the Goblet then it stands to reason that he wouldn’t have minded
getting another student--that same older student or a third one--to write
his name on the paper.

Was it ever mentioned whether a Quick-Quotes Quill uses the handwriting of
its user or whether it has a script of its own? In the latter case--and
assuming there’s a non-Quick-Quotes version that just transcribes things
straight--then that would be another option for wizards who want to write
anonymously.

(On this topic, I’ve always thought it was odd that the book never mentioned
the name of the fake school for which Crouch Jr. submitted Harry as a
champion. Like, there was something written on that paper other than “Harry
Potter,” and we were just never told what it was? Rowling could have at
least put in a Latin pun or some kind of red herring.)

Benjamin

Igenlode Wordsmith

Aug 1, 2020, 5:17:31 PM8/1/20
I don't think they operate in terms of Muggle forensics.
They'd be more likely to demand a spell that would identify the person
who last touched that bit of paper or something...

--
Igenlode Visit the Ivory Tower http://ivory.ueuo.com/Tower/

- I don't want to 'fit in' any more... - That makes two of us!

Timothy Bruening

Aug 2, 2020, 5:49:20 AM8/2/20
If there had been a 4th school on that paper, wouldn't Dumbledore have noticed it and called it out?

Timothy Bruening

Aug 2, 2020, 5:53:01 AM8/2/20
On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 2:17:31 PM UTC-7, Igenlode Wordsmith wrote:
> On 1 Aug 2020 Timothy Bruening wrote:
>
> >The Goblet of Fire choses Harry Potter at the 4th Champion, but Harry
> >denies either putting his name in the Goblet or getting an older
> >student to enter his name for him. Why doesn't anyone suggest
> >comparing the name on the entry form to Harry's handwriting?
>
> I don't think they operate in terms of Muggle forensics.
> They'd be more likely to demand a spell that would identify the person
> who last touched that bit of paper or something...

What did you think (deathly Hallows part 1) of Hermione's parents having 3 tea cups for 2 people after Hermione Obliviated them? (Her parents had prepared tea for all 3 of them just before Hermione zapped them, and I don't that that the Obliviation spell would have made a physical tea cup disappear.).

Benjamin Esham

Aug 2, 2020, 12:46:16 PM8/2/20
Timothy Bruening wrote:

> On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 12:09:27 PM UTC-7, Benjamin Esham wrote:
>> Timothy Bruening wrote:
>>
>> > The Goblet of Fire choses Harry Potter at the 4th Champion, but Harry
>> > denies either putting his name in the Goblet or getting an older
>> > student to enter his name for him. Why doesn't anyone suggest
>> > comparing the name on the entry form to Harry's handwriting?
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> (On this topic, I’ve always thought it was odd that the book never
>> mentioned the name of the fake school for which Crouch Jr. submitted
>> Harry as a champion. Like, there was something written on that paper
>> other than “Harry Potter,” and we were just never told what it was?
>> Rowling could have at least put in a Latin pun or some kind of red
>> herring.)
>
> If there had been a 4th school on that paper, wouldn't Dumbledore have
> noticed it and called it out?

That’s exactly what I’m saying: all of the evidence in the books suggests
that Moody must have entered Harry’s name under a fourth school, so it’s
very odd that no one ever mentioned the name of that school.

Benjamin

Benjamin Esham

Aug 2, 2020, 1:14:56 PM8/2/20
Timothy Bruening wrote:

> What did you think (deathly Hallows part 1) of Hermione's parents
> having 3 tea cups for 2 people after Hermione Obliviated them? (Her
> parents had prepared tea for all 3 of them just before Hermione zapped
> them, and I don't that that the Obliviation spell would have made a
> physical tea cup disappear.).

The spell wouldn't have made Hermione disappear from all of the photos in
the room, either, and yet we saw that happen. There's no doubt that Hermione
cleared the extra teacup; the filmmakers chose to show us the photos instead
because that image has way more emotional resonance.

Benjamin

Timothy Bruening

Aug 30, 2020, 11:21:30 PM8/30/20
I only heard her say "Obliviate", not "Disappeariate my photos/tea cup".