Favorite fanfic sites/stories?

Tephra Lynn Davis

Feb 8, 2003, 11:58:26 PM2/8/03
Hopefully this will generate a lot of replies and help make the group sound
less like alt.fan.harry-potter.bash-the-USA....

What is your favorite site for Harry Potter fanfiction? What's your
favorite story? Are you a shipper? Which couple(s)?

I'm relatively new to this fandom and have been wading around in
fanfiction.net but the sheer volume of postings makes me certain I'm
missing a lot of good (and BAD) fiction. Therefore, I have an ulterior
motive for asking these questions here. ;>

Teph

Crookshanks_Prime

Feb 9, 2003, 12:47:33 AM2/9/03
Tephra Lynn Davis <tep...@irantthereforeiam.com> wrote in

www.sugarquill.net - good H/G stories with proper betas

www.gryffindortower.net - good H/G stories all beta read and checked

www.schnoogle.com (part of www.fictionalley.org) fair site (to much slash
and some just plain bad stories get through). Other parts of the site I'm
not real familiar with.

www.fanfiction.net - only so so site. You really have to dig to get good
ones here. Anybody and everybody seems to write and very few are even
checked over before posting. Lots of pure crap stories.

Favorite stories:

After the End - in progress
Carpe Diem - complete
Alpha and Omega - complete
Interwoven - complete
Ginny's gift - complete
Long road home - in progress
Physic Serpent trilogy (all three) - two complete, one in progress
Connections - in progress
Liber Mortis - in progress
Lessons for Life - complete (sequel - in progress)
Fawkes in the House - complete (sequel - in progress)
Finding Lily - complete
Rustbytes two stories - one complete and one in progress

Just to name a few of them. All are on one of the first three sites
mentioned.

Crookshanks_Prime

Meg

Feb 9, 2003, 12:55:10 AM2/9/03
On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 04:58:26 GMT, Tephra Lynn Davis
<tep...@irantthereforeiam.com> wrote:

Well my site does not have any fan fiction on it, but if you want to
know anything about the books, trivia or that kind of thing it's
pretty good. :-)

Meg
www.funkycanadian.com

Kagome

Feb 9, 2003, 5:09:24 AM2/9/03

"Tephra Lynn Davis" <tep...@irantthereforeiam.com> wrote in message

> What is your favorite site for Harry Potter fanfiction?

my fave site for HP fanfiction is surely http://www.fictionalley.org
they have a great community and some very good fanfics

> What's your
> favorite story?

I don't have a really favourite story right now. I'm pretty new of the
fandom too, I read HP fics since november. Anyway I've read very good
pieces of writing, all in Fictionalley, and I write stories too :)

> Are you a shipper? Which couple(s)?

I don't like the slash pairings and I like the canon couples, like
Arthur/Molly (I wrote even a fic about them for the FA V-day
challenge), and I ship Hermione with Ron :)

> I'm relatively new to this fandom and have been wading around in
> fanfiction.net but the sheer volume of postings makes me certain I'm
> missing a lot of good (and BAD) fiction. Therefore, I have an
ulterior
> motive for asking these questions here. ;>

Eh.... unfortunately this is the worst Fanfiction.net problem... too
many fics submitted all together, if you submit a fic after few hours
it's already 250th... how can people find it?
Anyway in FFN there are very good fics too! You just have to look very
deeply into the directories...
--
Kagome

Ksnidget

Feb 9, 2003, 6:25:44 AM2/9/03
In article <Xns931D287765...@207.106.93.162>, Tephra Lynn Davis
<tep...@irantthereforeiam.com> writes:

<snipping with wild abandon>

>What's your favorite story?

Someone else got most of the sites I know of, all
of these are found on schnoogle.com

Paradigm of Uncertainty by Lori (post Hogwarts)
and the fan fictions by Carole

PoU has two books complete and in the middle
of the third, The fan ficts one is complete
"Sirius Affair" and on is in progress.

Psychic Serpent by Barb which was mentioned
Set books 5 on

Slytherin Rising Series by JL Matthews.
3 books completed, one in progress
One book Pre HP and then one per book.

Draco Series Cassandra Clair
2 books completed on in progress.
Set book 5 on..
K.

malexandria

Feb 9, 2003, 11:41:21 AM2/9/03
I read a lot of stuff on Fanfiction.net, but it seems like the quality of
the stories have gone downhill since the release of the movie. And there's
way too much slash or Hermonine/Draco stories on the site. You really have
to dig to find good stuff.

I'm a fan of the Harry Potter Angst or Drama Stories, and Hermonine/Ron
stories. I like post year 5 stories (just DON'T call it Order of the
Phoenix!), and I'd like to see more stories that give us more info on the
Grangers, or realistic ones where Hermonine and Ron have to stay at the
Dursleys (have yet to come across any of those)

There are a couple of really good novel length stories (200+ pages) that are
great reads,

Hermonine Granger and The Boy Who Lived
(which is a look at Year One from Hermonine's Point of few. Although the
author is a H/H Shipper)

When Things Start To Change (In Progress)
Is a great story for H/R shippers and takes place in 5th year. So far it's
more than 440 pages!

Never Alone Again (In Progress. Haven't been updated in ages.) Is a great
Harry Potter Angst/Abuse story.

Under Suspicion (In Progress, Rarely Updated)
A good post Hogwarts story where Harry gets put in Azkaban for 13 years
before he escapes. My only issue with this story is several characters are
WAAAY OOC.

And I was reading some pretty good OOP ficts, but they haven't been updated
in ages and because they are all called OOP I've completely lost track of
which story was which.

malexandria

Feb 9, 2003, 12:03:55 PM2/9/03
Oh, and one more complaint. Can Fanfiction writers please avoid the tedious
paragraph that explains what Harry went through in GOF, and the line "Harry
Potter is not a normal boy, for he is a Wizard, and not just any wizard, the
most famous wizard of all." And every year his birthday is ignored by his
family.

I would guess that if people are reading HP Fanfiction, then they know the
backstory already and we want to just dive right into your story. And JKR
does this as well and I hope she doesn't do the tedious boring backstory
prologue again in book 5. Granted it's usually only a paragraph or two, but
still...

"malexandria" <malex...@nomale.com> wrote in message

Kagome

Feb 9, 2003, 12:47:37 PM2/9/03

> Oh, and one more complaint. Can Fanfiction writers please avoid the
tedious
> paragraph that explains what Harry went through in GOF, and the line
"Harry
> Potter is not a normal boy, for he is a Wizard, and not just any
wizard, the
> most famous wizard of all." And every year his birthday is ignored
by his
> family.

I don't think it's a bad thing. It's important to make the reader come
in the story. I had some people who never read or watched Harry Potter
that read my fanfic, and they all told me that they could understand
what was going on, even because I added that stuff.
I'm writing a crossover. And there are people from the other fandom
who read the fic. I can't avoid some descriptions, both from the other
side's characters than from the HP characters, or nobody would
understand anything (people from the HP fandom would never understand
the Inuyasha's characters if I don't describe the background, and in
the same way the Inuyasha's fans who never read HP would never
understand the HP background without some descriptions.
Anyway even in different cases than a crossover as I'm writing, I
think that it's important to describe the characters and such: why
should you think that people who read a fanfic must always know what
is the story that inspires the fanfic? I got into HP reading a fanfic
and I liked it so much that I went to buy all the 4 books. This is MY
case, I know... but why should it be JUST my case?

> And JKR
> does this as well and I hope she doesn't do the tedious boring
backstory
> prologue again in book 5. Granted it's usually only a paragraph or
two, but
> still...

I really hope she will continue addying those: YOU are a person who
read all the 4 books before. But what if a person who didn't read any
other HP book went into OotP? They wouldn't understand anything and
they'd think that HP is shit...
I think JKR is doing the right thing taking every book as it's the
first one of the series. It's very important to do this to be sure
that anybody can read the books.
--
Kagome

Tennant Stuart

Feb 9, 2003, 8:03:33 PM2/9/03
In article <Rwv1a.7041$wH5....@nwrddc04.gnilink.net>,
"malexandria" <malex...@nomale.com> wrote:

> There are a couple of really good novel length stories (200+ pages)
> that are great reads,

> Hermonine Granger and The Boy Who Lived (which is a look at Year One
> from Hermonine's Point of few. Although the author is a H/H Shipper)

What's wrong with being a H/H shipper?

> When Things Start To Change (In Progress) Is a great story for H/R
> shippers and takes place in 5th year. So far it's more than 440 pages!

Can you supply URLs for these two please?

Tennant Stuart

--
____ ____ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ ____
(_ _)( ___)( \( )( \( ) /__\ ( \( )(_ _) Greetings to family

malexandria

Feb 10, 2003, 9:01:23 AM2/10/03
I don't know, I'm just not an H/H fan. Those stories always seem a little
off to me. I'm a "traditional" R/H, H/G shipper, any other combinations just
don't seem right. Here are the URLs

When Things Start To Change

http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=723270

Never Alone Again
http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=750576

Under Suspicion
http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=639606

The Long Road Home (A Post Voldemort Story where Harry Loses His Powers)
http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=994611

Family (HP Angst, hasn't been updated in Ages, so I'm about to remove it
from my favorites)
http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=990367

Hermione Granger and the Boy Who Lived you'll have to look up on
Fanfiction.net because I removed it from my favorites.

"Tennant Stuart" <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message

Mark Hanson

Feb 10, 2003, 9:11:03 AM2/10/03

"Tennant Stuart" <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <Rwv1a.7041$wH5....@nwrddc04.gnilink.net>,
> "malexandria" <malex...@nomale.com> wrote:
>
> > There are a couple of really good novel length stories (200+ pages)
> > that are great reads,

http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=997193&chapter=1

This the story I am reading at the moment, 20 chapters long updated every
week, it is called OotP but is a excellent read, try it...

HanS

Meliss9900

Feb 10, 2003, 9:35:26 AM2/10/03
Hermione Granger and the Boy Who Lived you'll have to look up on
Fanfiction.net because I removed it from my favorites.

Its not there. The author pulled both this one and the beginning chapters of
his Book 2 adaptation "Hermione Granger and the Heir of Slytherin" because
people were stealing them and putting their own names to the stories.

Hermione Granger and the Boy Who Lived might still be up at www.portkey.org
though.

Melissa

Melissa (who also tends to SHIP with H/H)

~Its not the size of the wand but the magic within~

malexandria

Feb 10, 2003, 10:55:44 AM2/10/03
That sucks. Why would someone steal someone else's fanfiction? It seems
silly. I actually wrote a couple of novel length stories for the film Ever
After. which you can find at fanfiction.net The versions that are posted
are all the first drafts. I would encourage everyone to check them out.
I've been thinking about trying my hand at an HP story after I finish
working on some original stuff.

"Meliss9900" <melis...@aol.com> wrote in message

malexandria

Feb 10, 2003, 10:59:46 AM2/10/03
Hey, I just realized you can't search Fanfiction.net. How stupid is that?
Yet another reason why I don't like FF.net that much. It's not user
friendly, and very difficult to post completed multipart stories, and now
you can't search for stories.

Kagome

Feb 10, 2003, 1:32:10 PM2/10/03

"malexandria" <malex...@nomale.com> wrote in message

yes you can search FFN
there is the link on the top menu
--
Kagome

malexandria

Feb 10, 2003, 2:35:34 PM2/10/03
Where? I don't see it. Unless it's not showing up because of my ad blocking
software.

"Kagome" <kag...@tiscalinet.it> wrote in message

Rachel

Feb 10, 2003, 3:23:34 PM2/10/03

> .
>
> "Kagome" <kag...@tiscalinet.it> wrote in message
> >
> > "malexandria" <malex...@nomale.com> wrote in message
> > > Hey, I just realized you can't search Fanfiction.net. How stupid is
> > that?
> > > Yet another reason why I don't like FF.net that much. It's not user
> > > friendly, and very difficult to post completed multipart stories,
> > and now
> > > you can't search for stories.
> >
> > yes you can search FFN
> > there is the link on the top menu
> > --
> > Kagome
> >

> Where? I don't see it. Unless it's not showing up because of my ad
blocking
> software

It is the link that says "Find", but the function isn't working at the
moment.

Rachel

Kagome

Feb 10, 2003, 3:31:33 PM2/10/03

http://www.fanfiction.net/search_new.php
--
Kagome

malexandria

Feb 10, 2003, 3:35:20 PM2/10/03
duh...I just saw it.

"Rachel" <ms...@home.nl> wrote in message

Tennant Stuart

Feb 10, 2003, 5:31:04 PM2/10/03
In article <20030210093526...@mb-cl.aol.com>,
melis...@aol.com (Meliss9900) wrote:

>> Hermione Granger and the Boy Who Lived you'll have to look up on
>> Fanfiction.net because I removed it from my favorites.

> Its not there. The author pulled both this one and the beginning
> chapters of his Book 2 adaptation "Hermione Granger and the Heir of
> Slytherin" because people were stealing them and putting their own
> names to the stories.

Oh dear.

> Hermione Granger and the Boy Who Lived might still be up at
> www.portkey.org though.

Thanks, I tried that. It's an interesting site, but I couldn't
see "Hermione Granger and the Boy Who Lived". Maybe it was just
because I didn't look properly, it's hard to be sure.

> Melissa (who also tends to SHIP with H/H)

Good for you Melissa, me too. :)

Tennant

Hildr

Feb 10, 2003, 11:17:22 PM2/10/03
tep...@irantthereforeiam.com (Tephra Lynn Davis) asked;

<snip>

>What's your favorite story?

The Argus Filch series by Ozma is excellent;
http://www.fanfiction.net/profile.php?userid=164445

Another good author is Pigwidgeon37. She writes SS/HG stories;
http://www.fanfiction.net/profile.php?userid=194067

Practically everything is good on this site;
http://www.witchfics.org/
(Check out the stories about Snape & his Beanie Baby!)

<snip rest>

Hildr

"Well, why aren't you all copying that down?"
~Severus Snape~

Lisa Hicks

Feb 11, 2003, 5:45:47 PM2/11/03

malexandria wrote:

> Oh, and one more complaint. Can Fanfiction writers please avoid the tedious
> paragraph that explains what Harry went through in GOF, and the line "Harry
> Potter is not a normal boy, for he is a Wizard, and not just any wizard, the
> most famous wizard of all." And every year his birthday is ignored by his
> family.
>
> I would guess that if people are reading HP Fanfiction, then they know the
> backstory already and we want to just dive right into your story. And JKR
> does this as well and I hope she doesn't do the tedious boring backstory
> prologue again in book 5. Granted it's usually only a paragraph or two, but
> still...

I guess it depends on what the writer is aiming to do. If the fan-fic
author is just writing to entertain the fan-fic community, then, yeah,
the backstory bits are unnecessary. However, if the author's goal is to
be as JKR-ish as possible, then the backstory bits might feel necessary
for verisimilitude. Since we do get what JKR amusingly calls the
"previously on ER" stuff in each book (well, each book after Book 1), it
seems reasonable to me for the fan-ficcers who want to write in a way
that's close to canon to include some of that stuff. At least, that's
my rationale.

Lisa H

malexandria

Feb 12, 2003, 7:26:38 AM2/12/03
that seems reasonable. And every since I've read other people's opinion on
this, I've changed my mind and it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.
The title still does though, because it's hard for me to keep track my
stories :)

"Lisa Hicks" <lhh...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote in message

heidi

Feb 13, 2003, 7:56:51 PM2/13/03
"Crookshanks_Prime" <No...@bozo.net> wrote

> www.schnoogle.com (part of www.fictionalley.org) fair site (to much slash
> and some just plain bad stories get through). Other parts of the site I'm
> not real familiar with.

: shrugs

We upload whatever is submitted, as long as it's not riddled (pun
intended) with grammar and spelling errors, regardless of whether we
think the plotting and/or characterisation are miserable and utterly
un-JKR-ish. So if you think there's too much slash, or that we're
missing some good fics, well, perhaps you should suggest to the
authors you like that they should submit their fics to FA. We know
we're missing some well-liked works - we've asked people like Arabella
& Zsenya to submit fics before, and given that I'm semi-beta-reading a
fic for Arabella, hopefully we will host at least some of their stuff
soon.

In terms of "other parts of the site" - we have four fanfic houses,
Schnoogle (novel-length fics of all genres), AstronomyTower.org for
romances, Riddikulus.org for humorfics and TheDarkArts.org for fics
containing drama (aka the catchrest category). ArtisticAlley.org is
for fanart of all genres - we have fanfilms, comics, anime-style pics,
photomanips, sculptures and traditional visual arts among the files.

LumosDissendium.org is our fanfic primer, where you can find hints
about fanfic writing, writing in general, and some fanfic and fandom
terms.

Heidi Tandy
FicitonAlley Admin

Tennant Stuart

Feb 15, 2003, 1:28:35 PM2/15/03
In article <na.e7bc254bc2...@argonet.co.uk>,
Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <20030210093526...@mb-cl.aol.com>,
> melis...@aol.com (Meliss9900) wrote:

>>> Hermione Granger and the Boy Who Lived you'll have to look up on
>>> Fanfiction.net because I removed it from my favorites.

>> Its not there. The author pulled both this one and the beginning
>> chapters of his Book 2 adaptation "Hermione Granger and the Heir of
>> Slytherin" because people were stealing them and putting their own
>> names to the stories.

>> Hermione Granger and the Boy Who Lived might still be up at
>> www.portkey.org though.

> Thanks, I tried that. It's an interesting site, but I couldn't
> see "Hermione Granger and the Boy Who Lived". Maybe it was just
> because I didn't look properly, it's hard to be sure.

I've got it now, click on...

http://fanfiction.portkey.org/read.php?storyid=96

..and it is indeed very good. It's hard to find because the story
is not linked with its author, whom I shan't mention in case this
was meant to be a secret. Sadly, I still can't find the sequel.

pluther

Feb 18, 2003, 9:17:03 PM2/18/03
Tephra Lynn Davis <tep...@irantthereforeiam.com> wrote in message news:<Xns931D287765...@207.106.93.162>...

I don't know if this qualifies as fan "fiction", but there's a good
series of pictures here: http://www.geocities.com/baron_vonsola/ecceartmeus.htm
(They do tell a story, so look at them in order).

I really like the stories linked from there to Shades of Black, too,
which are at: http://www.dawnshadows.com/black/fic/fic.htm
"All Debts Must be Paid" is one of my favorite fics around. I think she's
really captured Sirius Black there.

-Pat
--
Pat Luther -- pluther at usa dot net -- http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~pluther
Director, Geeks Without Borders: http://www.gwob.org

CrimsonRiver

Feb 21, 2003, 1:03:16 PM2/21/03
"malexandria" <malex...@nomale.com> wrote in message news:<TgO1a.14560$9y2....@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>...

> I don't know, I'm just not an H/H fan. Those stories always seem a little
> off to me. I'm a "traditional" R/H, H/G shipper, any other combinations just
> don't seem right. Here are the URLs
>
> When Things Start To Change
> http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=723270
>
> Never Alone Again
> http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=750576
>
> Under Suspicion
> http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=639606
>
> The Long Road Home (A Post Voldemort Story where Harry Loses His Powers)
> http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=994611
>
> Family (HP Angst, hasn't been updated in Ages, so I'm about to remove it
> from my favorites)
> http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=990367
>
> Hermione Granger and the Boy Who Lived you'll have to look up on
> Fanfiction.net because I removed it from my favorites.

I've started to read Never Alone Again and I LOVE it! Poor abused
Harry. ~sniffle~ I like my HP fanfic as close to character canon as
possible. That means no slash or sex and I am an H/R and a H/no one
(the lone hero) shipper.

Thank you for the links! I'll be checking out the others after I've
finished NAA.

Gina