Harry and Occlumency

3 views
Skip to first unread message

honeysuc...@bellsouth.net

unread,
May 16, 2007, 7:41:39 AM5/16/07
to
If Harry got some of LV powers the night he tried to kill him then it
stands to reason that harry would have some ability with Occlumency.
The reason DD didn't teach him this was due to Harry's dreams and DD
did not want to push Harry due to LV emence hate for him and in ootp
DD is proved correct in this when Harry takes the portkey to head
quarters he wants to bite DD. I think if someone else had taught Harry
he would have done well. Maybe in this book Lupin will try to help
Harry out with this weakness. It can not be benifical for LV or Snape
to be in Harry's Head they could see the spell he is going to cast
before he does it, know where he's going and what he's trying to find
ect. Remember DD doen't want anyone to know what they have been up to
except Ron and Hermione, so that Harry can get all the Horcruxes and
destroy them before he faces LV. If they the DE figure out what he's
up to then LV has time to move them to a safer location and Harry will
not stand a chance then. So I believe someone is going to have to work
with Harry on this and maybe even Hermione and Ron so they don't give
away the information they have learned about the Horcruxes and their
locations. I believe they will return to Hogwarts and search the
library and the Room of Requirements to see if anyone else may have
used it as a hiding place for one of the Horcruxes. I know that DD
could since magical spells and such so it would come to reason that
the only place LV could have hid a Horcruxes is inside the room of
requirements.

Matt Clara

unread,
May 16, 2007, 11:48:16 AM5/16/07
to
<honeysuc...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:1179315699.0...@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

> If Harry got some of LV powers the night he tried to kill him then it
> stands to reason that harry would have some ability with Occlumency.

Why? There's zero evidence for that. You're just making stuff up, you are.

--
www.mattclara.com


honeysuc...@bellsouth.net

unread,
May 16, 2007, 1:15:56 PM5/16/07
to
On May 16, 11:48 am, "Matt Clara" <hey.woo...@buzz.off> wrote:
> <honeysuckler3...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

If you have read the books then you know I am not making anything up.
In one of the books DD mentioned the their was a room in the castle he
only saw one time He needed to use the bathroom and a room appeared
full of chamber pots. I don't think DD knew about the room of
requirements. It is very possible since they searched the castle threw
and threw and never found the Chamber of secrets.

drusilla

unread,
May 16, 2007, 3:55:20 PM5/16/07
to
Matt Clara escribió:

Mmm... perhaps Harry has the ability and potential but he doesn't know
how to work it nor is able to. You need to control your emotions to
master Occlumency, and that's something Harry is unable to do.

mueckelein

unread,
May 16, 2007, 5:23:12 PM5/16/07
to

The room of requirements and the chamber of secrets are two totally
different rooms. The room of requirements is on the seventh floor and
only appears there if you have a certain requirement ( therefore the
name!). DD needed to have a toilet and passing the place in seventh
floor the room appeared, this time full of chamber pots. It changes
due to the different needs of it´s user.
The chamber of secrets though is deep beneath the castle, the entrance
hidden under the sink of the old girls bathroom ond only to be opened
by someone speaking Parsel. The room itsself remains the same with a
gigantic statue of Salazar Slytherin and the basilisk. Slytherin
himself built this room, but who made the room of requirements is
unknown.

Matt Clara

unread,
May 16, 2007, 6:27:25 PM5/16/07
to
<honeysuc...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:1179335756.6...@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

> On May 16, 11:48 am, "Matt Clara" <hey.woo...@buzz.off> wrote:
>> <honeysuckler3...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> news:1179315699.0...@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> > If Harry got some of LV powers the night he tried to kill him then it
>> > stands to reason that harry would have some ability with Occlumency.
>>
>> Why? There's zero evidence for that. You're just making stuff up, you
>> are.
>>
>
> If you have read the books then you know I am not making anything up.
> In one of the books DD mentioned the their was a room in the castle he
> only saw one time He needed to use the bathroom and a room appeared
> full of chamber pots. I don't think DD knew about the room of
> requirements. It is very possible since they searched the castle threw
> and threw and never found the Chamber of secrets.
>

What in the world does that have to do with "harry would have some ability
with Occlumency" due to his interaction with LV? Let me try to be clear:
you state there's reason to believe the above is true, but there is no
reason, none given in the books, to believe Harry has gained occlumency
abilities from LV. This doesn't rule it out, but there is no such reason.
Thus you're just making stuff up.

--
www.mattclara.com


Paracelsus

unread,
May 16, 2007, 10:40:51 PM5/16/07
to
drusilla wrote:

I don't think Harry will master Occlumency, nor does he need to. Snape
teaching Harry was a lost cause but I doubt that even Dumbledore could
have taught a confused and angry 15 year old to clear his mind of
emotions. Snape saw Harry's inability to learn Occlumency as a sign of
weakness and he was partially right. On the other hand, Snape is a badly
damaged person and it may be that some of this damage was done by
constantly shutting down his own emotions.

In the battle at the end of OOtP, Harry was able to drive Voldemort from
his mind by the strength of the love he felt for Sirius. Voldemort has
not tried to enter his mind since that incident. That may be Harry's
special power, the ability to project positive emotions so intensely
that evil-doers are driven out of his mind.

Sirius Kase

unread,
May 17, 2007, 8:52:50 AM5/17/07
to
On May 16, 5:23 pm, mueckelein <mueckel...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 16 Mai, 19:15, honeysuckler3...@bellsouth.net wrote:
>
>
>
> > On May 16, 11:48 am, "Matt Clara" <hey.woo...@buzz.off> wrote:
>
> > > <honeysuckler3...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
> > >news:1179315699.0...@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
>
> > > > If Harry got some of LV powers the night he tried to kill him then it
> > > > stands to reason that harry would have some ability with Occlumency.
>
> > > Why? There's zero evidence for that. You're just making stuff up, you are.
>
> > > --www.mattclara.com
>
> > If you have read the books then you know I am not making anything up.
> > In one of the books DD mentioned the their was a room in the castle he
> > only saw one time He needed to use the bathroom and a room appeared
> > full of chamber pots. I don't think DD knew about the room of
> > requirements. It is very possible since they searched the castle threw
> > and threw and never found the Chamber of secrets.
>
> The room of requirements and the chamber of secrets are two totally
> different rooms.

Honey didn't say they were. When DD mentioned the RoR in book 4, he
seemed to have been unaware of it before the Chamber Pot incident. In
CoS, it was stated that DD had searched the entire castle and never
fournd the Chamber of Secrets. Honey restated both of those facts in
separate sentences. Your head connected them somehow.

Toon

unread,
May 17, 2007, 9:10:45 AM5/17/07
to

But he automatically Legils V in his dreams. He can't Occul, but he
got instant Legiling capabilities. Nobody ever taught him. Seems
when his scar starts up, his subconscious logs on to V. Harry needs
to learn to do this consciously, and not use his emotion detecting
scar.

Lyle Francis Delp

unread,
May 17, 2007, 11:19:08 AM5/17/07
to

If LV transferred his ability with Parseltongue to Harry, why
not Occlumency and Legilimency? DD told Harry that LV
transferred some of his powers to Harry the night he tried
to kill him as a baby. Perhaps he did and they just haven't
manifested themselves yet.

--
Yeah! Lyle Francis Delp
Ya wanna make somethin' outtavit?

Matt Clara

unread,
May 17, 2007, 6:39:34 PM5/17/07
to
"Lyle Francis Delp" <theel...@manhattan.com> wrote in message
news:2007051711190875249-theelevator@manhattancom...

> On 2007-05-16 18:27:25 -0400, "Matt Clara" <hey.w...@buzz.off> said:
>
>> <honeysuc...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> news:1179335756.6...@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>>> On May 16, 11:48 am, "Matt Clara" <hey.woo...@buzz.off> wrote:
>>>> <honeysuckler3...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>>>
>>>> news:1179315699.0...@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
>>>>
>>>>> If Harry got some of LV powers the night he tried to kill him then it
>>>>> stands to reason that harry would have some ability with Occlumency.
>>>>
>>>> Why? There's zero evidence for that. You're just making stuff up, you
>>>> are.
>>>>
>>>
>>> If you have read the books then you know I am not making anything up.
>>> In one of the books DD mentioned the their was a room in the castle he
>>> only saw one time He needed to use the bathroom and a room appeared
>>> full of chamber pots. I don't think DD knew about the room of
>>> requirements. It is very possible since they searched the castle threw
>>> and threw and never found the Chamber of secrets.
>>>
>>
>> What in the world does that have to do with "harry would have some
>> ability with Occlumency" due to his interaction with LV? Let me try to
>> be clear: you state there's reason to believe the above is true, but
>> there is no reason, none given in the books, to believe Harry has gained
>> occlumency abilities from LV. This doesn't rule it out, but there is no
>> such reason. Thus you're just making stuff up.
>
> If LV transferred his ability with Parseltongue to Harry, why
> not Occlumency and Legilimency?

Sure, why not? But then again, why? Unlike parseltongue, there's no reason
given in the books to believe he's gained occulemency skills. Therefore
there's no reason given. Do you get that, can you understand it? No reason
given in the books equals no reason. See?

>DD told Harry that LV
> transferred some of his powers to Harry the night he tried
> to kill him as a baby. Perhaps he did and they just haven't
> manifested themselves yet.

So what, you could extrapolate anything from that--what fact from the book
even says LV is great at occlumency? None.
Would all you "speculitists" get a fucking clue? If it ain't in the books,
it's just fucking guess work.

CH

unread,
May 17, 2007, 7:58:20 PM5/17/07
to

"Toon" <to...@toon.com> wrote in message
news:10lo431emmobu29ad...@4ax.com...

You can also add in the fact that even with Snape's poor teaching Harry DID
invade Snape's mind, something it seems that no one else has been able to
do. Not Dd or Tommy, that we know of anyway. Just like he got some answers
for some of the OWL's from someone's mind or so it seems, whether it was
from Parvati, at whom he was staring at (well the way the light looked thru
her hair anyway) or from Hermione who was just ahead and to the side of
Parv, which Harry made mention of.

So IF we get the info in the 7th book that Harry gained those abilities as
well as Parsel and whatever else he may have gotten then we have a
precedence to look back on and go 'Ahh ok'. Like we had the set up for Harry
being able to see in Tommy's mind thru his dreams and 'feel' his emotions
based on his scar hurting since the very first book.

Stuff is there if it's needed to go back and re-look at.

Just sayin is all.


Drusilla

unread,
May 17, 2007, 10:38:11 PM5/17/07
to
Toon escribió:

I don't know if that applies as Legimency. Ok, sure there is a
connection between them but I suppose that only places Harry as an
antenna or receptor, something no one else is able to be. Just because
someone puts memories in your mind, doesn't mean you can read them.

Toon

unread,
May 18, 2007, 5:35:01 AM5/18/07
to
On 17 May 2007 05:52:50 -0700, Sirius Kase <Siriu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Honey didn't say they were. When DD mentioned the RoR in book 4, he
>seemed to have been unaware of it before the Chamber Pot incident. In
>CoS, it was stated that DD had searched the entire castle and never
>fournd the Chamber of Secrets. Honey restated both of those facts in
>separate sentences. Your head connected them somehow.

Further, he always knew the COS existed (well, since 50 years ago).
Even after he stumbled upon the ROR, he still didn't know what it was,
having gone looking for it again and never finding it. Nor another
room in it's place. Dobby, OTOH, seemed well aquatinted with it. So,
the Elves are keeping secrets, even from DD.

Lyle Francis Delp

unread,
May 18, 2007, 6:56:07 AM5/18/07
to

Your assholeness is showing again.

Perhaps the reason hasn't been made clear...yet. See? Can you understand it?

[sheesh!!]


>
>> DD told Harry that LV
>> transferred some of his powers to Harry the night he tried
>> to kill him as a baby. Perhaps he did and they just haven't
>> manifested themselves yet.
>
> So what, you could extrapolate anything from that--what fact from the
> book even says LV is great at occlumency? None.
> Would all you "speculitists" get a fucking clue? If it ain't in the
> books, it's just fucking guess work.

I'm nothing of the sort. This entire NG is based on the speculations of
the contributors. Do you get it? Can you understand it?

I guess not.

Just go read the books.

Toon

unread,
May 18, 2007, 7:52:07 AM5/18/07
to

Some, not all. PT and Legils, yes, Occuls no. We've seen he can't do
it.

Toon

unread,
May 18, 2007, 7:53:37 AM5/18/07
to
On Thu, 17 May 2007 19:58:20 -0400, "CH" <ezg...@iwon.com> wrote:

>You can also add in the fact that even with Snape's poor teaching Harry DID
>invade Snape's mind, something it seems that no one else has been able to
>do. Not Dd or Tommy, that we know of anyway.

And Snape expected it, because he removed certain memories he didn't
want to be seen.

Toon

unread,
May 18, 2007, 7:54:50 AM5/18/07
to

But Harry was riding shotgun with V as Nagini. I think that was full
legils. He subconsciously connected and legilsed him, and saw what he
saw.

honeysuc...@bellsouth.net

unread,
May 18, 2007, 10:48:34 AM5/18/07
to
On May 18, 6:56 am, Lyle Francis Delp <theeleva...@manhattan.com>
wrote:
> On 2007-05-17 18:39:34 -0400, "Matt Clara" <hey.woo...@buzz.off> said:
>
>
>
> > "Lyle Francis Delp" <theeleva...@manhattan.com> wrote in message
> >news:2007051711190875249-theelevator@manhattancom...

It does say that LV is very skilled in occlumency snape says it to
Harry in the OotP go read it if you don't believe me.

Lyle Francis Delp

unread,
May 18, 2007, 2:02:15 PM5/18/07
to

Um...yes...I know that. That's why I suggest that LV
may have transferred some of the ability to Harry at
the same time he transferred Parseltongue. Why would
this be so difficult for Matt Clara to understand? That
is hasn't manifested itself yet is surely due to Harry's
general emotional state (unable to control his emotions) and
Snape's sabotage of the lessons.

I think Harry will be able to learn it if he is taught properly.

Lyle Francis Delp

unread,
May 18, 2007, 2:04:02 PM5/18/07
to

Yet.

Just because Occlumency hasn't manifested itself yet,
doesn't mean that it never will.

I think Snape sabotaged the lessons...or at least he couldn't
put his hatred of James/Harry aside long enough to teach
Harry properly. One or the other.

CH

unread,
May 18, 2007, 6:58:20 PM5/18/07
to

"Toon" <to...@toon.com> wrote in message
news:bt4r43t7g0krh2teq...@4ax.com...

Don't know if we should look at that as Snape expecting it or just being
overly cautious and doing it just in case. Altho that is something to think
about. Him expecting Harry to be that powerful at it.


Atroki

unread,
May 18, 2007, 11:28:04 PM5/18/07
to

>I think Harry will be able to learn it if he is taught properly.

I think that's the key, Occlumency seems to be more of a learned
talent where parsletongue appears to be a natural abilty.

Toon

unread,
May 19, 2007, 1:04:01 AM5/19/07
to
On Fri, 18 May 2007 14:04:02 -0400, Lyle Francis Delp
<theel...@manhattan.com> wrote:

>Yet.
>
>Just because Occlumency hasn't manifested itself yet,
>doesn't mean that it never will.

Well, he gained Parseltongue, and automatically does it. He seems to
have gained Legils, and automatically does it when asleep. Why would
he gain Occuls, and not only never automatically do it, but when he
practices it, he can't do it? Doesn't fit the pattern. All of V's
powers that were transferred have been automatically activated (at
least subconsciously, ala Harry's pre training magic as a kid). To
suddenly have one not be automatic and not work when taught (however
poorly) doesn't fit, nor does it make any sense.

~consul

unread,
May 19, 2007, 1:09:02 AM5/19/07
to
and thus Toon inscribed ...
> On 17 May 2007 05:52:50 -0700, Sirius Kase <Siriu...@gmail.com>
> Further, he always knew the COS existed (well, since 50 years ago).
> Even after he stumbled upon the ROR, he still didn't know what it was,
> having gone looking for it again and never finding it. Nor another
> room in it's place. Dobby, OTOH, seemed well aquatinted with it. So,
> the Elves are keeping secrets, even from DD.

I'm surprised that Dd never "required" the Chamber, or a map to it.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here, at the end of all things, we shall do what needs to be done."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

Lyle Francis Delp

unread,
May 19, 2007, 5:44:37 AM5/19/07
to
On 2007-05-19 01:04:01 -0400, Toon <to...@toon.com> said:

> On Fri, 18 May 2007 14:04:02 -0400, Lyle Francis Delp
> <theel...@manhattan.com> wrote:
>
>> Yet.
>>
>> Just because Occlumency hasn't manifested itself yet,
>> doesn't mean that it never will.
>
> Well, he gained Parseltongue, and automatically does it. He seems to
> have gained Legils, and automatically does it when asleep.

Here's the problem. It's never been stated that Harry's
scar connection with LV is actually Legilimency, has it?
Therefore, it can't be categorically stated that he


automatically does it when asleep.

> Why would
> he gain Occuls, and not only never automatically do it, but when he
> practices it, he can't do it? Doesn't fit the pattern.

Because, as an angry teenager, and being taunted and
bullied by Snape, he can't clear his mind. That's the first
step. If Harry can't do that, Occlumency can't occur.

Ironically, the killing of DD may have been just the thing
that will clear Harry's mind and set him on his quest.
Sometimes it takes such a shock to do this.

> All of V's
> powers that were transferred have been automatically activated (at
> least subconsciously, ala Harry's pre training magic as a kid). To
> suddenly have one not be automatic and not work when taught (however
> poorly) doesn't fit, nor does it make any sense.

Except that Harry's mind must be cleared for it to work.

I'm not stating categorically the Occlumency was included in
LV's "magical care pakage". Just a thought. But, I'm also not
quite sure that Legilimency was either. Although it has been
stated that the scar is the connection, it's never stated that
connection is Legilimency.

Joe Bednorz

unread,
May 19, 2007, 7:09:38 AM5/19/07
to
On Sat, 19 May 2007 05:44:37 -0400, Lyle Francis Delp wrote in
<2007051905443716807-theelevator@manhattancom>:

>
>I'm not stating categorically the Occlumency was included in
>LV's "magical care pakage". Just a thought. But, I'm also not
>quite sure that Legilimency was either. Although it has been
>stated that the scar is the connection, it's never stated that
>connection is Legilimency.

Not to mention that even Harry isn't sure that he want to succeed with
Occlumency. Harry wants to know what's at the end of the corridor in
his dreams in OotP. Just as Harry is conflicted when practicing the
Patronus in PoA, since it would prevent him from hearing his parents'
voices.

In reality, of course, JKR just throws in magic in fits and starts to
keep the pot boiling. Remember Time Turners? Too dangerous to use to
stop the horrible murders performed by Voldemort and the DE, even by
specially trained wizards. But to save Sirius and Buckbeak, or even to
just let a schoolgirl take extra classes, no problem!

--
Links to Gigabytes of free books on line, emphasis on SF:
<http://www.mindspring.com/~jbednorz/Free/>
All the Best,
Joe Bednorz

Drusilla

unread,
May 19, 2007, 11:16:04 PM5/19/07
to
Toon escribió:

> On Fri, 18 May 2007 14:04:02 -0400, Lyle Francis Delp
> <theel...@manhattan.com> wrote:
>
>> Yet.
>>
>> Just because Occlumency hasn't manifested itself yet,
>> doesn't mean that it never will.
>
> Well, he gained Parseltongue, and automatically does it. He seems to
> have gained Legils, and automatically does it when asleep.

Harry can speak with snakes even before he knew he had the skill, and he
understand them every time. If he were a real Legils, he would be
reading others's mind since much time before.

Why would
> he gain Occuls, and not only never automatically do it, but when he
> practices it, he can't do it? Doesn't fit the pattern. All of V's
> powers that were transferred have been automatically activated (at
> least subconsciously, ala Harry's pre training magic as a kid).

Just Parseltongue. The 'Legimency' is the connection that was activated
when LV regained his body.

Drusilla

unread,
May 19, 2007, 11:30:13 PM5/19/07
to
Atroki escribió:

>> I think Harry will be able to learn it if he is taught properly.
>
> I think that's the key, Occlumency seems to be more of a learned
> talent where parsletongue appears to be a natural abilty.

It needs practice and dedication. Harry needs to learn how to close his
mind and empty it from emotions. He can't do it yet. He *might* have get
the ability from a superb occlumens as LV and he can't.

Drusilla

unread,
May 19, 2007, 11:35:32 PM5/19/07
to
CH escribió:

Or, perhaps he feared like DD that Voldemort could see something through
Harry. Or that Harry got the skill from LV and is a potential Legimens.

Drusilla

unread,
May 19, 2007, 11:47:33 PM5/19/07
to
Toon escribió:

I think it's something different. Like they share one mind at the same
time. We know Legilimency can see thoughts and memories, but we don't
know for sure if it shows what the person being read is seeing and
thinking at the same moment, like a movie.

ALthough we know that Harry and Voldemort is an exception to almost any
rule.

Toon

unread,
May 20, 2007, 3:52:48 AM5/20/07
to
On Sat, 19 May 2007 05:44:37 -0400, Lyle Francis Delp
<theel...@manhattan.com> wrote:

>Here's the problem. It's never been stated that Harry's
>scar connection with LV is actually Legilimency, has it?

It's more than just that. It detects emotions, usually hatred. It
let him receive images in a dream. And let him be in Voldemort's
head.

>Therefore, it can't be categorically stated that he
>automatically does it when asleep.

But every time he was in V's head, he was asleep at the time. Now, he
might be able to learn to do it awake. There's nothing indicating
that sleep is a requirement. But so far, he automatically does it
when asleep.

Toon

unread,
May 20, 2007, 4:00:54 AM5/20/07
to
On Sat, 19 May 2007 06:09:38 -0500, Joe Bednorz
<inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Too dangerous to use to
>stop the horrible murders performed by Voldemort and the DE, even by
>specially trained wizards.

That would alter history, which could result in a far worse world.

There was this great short story about a guy now living in Germany (in
the 30/40's), who hated how the South was treated after the Civil War
(keep in mind, this is not our universe). So, he decided to build a
time machine, and convince General Lee not to fight for the Union,
which he blames for the South's mistreatment (keep in mind, in
reality, Lincoln asked him before Grant.) Well, after fricking up
things over and over again, and gaining a god complex because he's
been creating alternate worlds again and again vs the one god made, he
wind sup with a satisfactory South. So, he decides to go check out
Germany (there's some stupid thing that he can travel to any day in
the alternate past, but if he returns to the day he left, the's in his
own world.) the day before he left. As he's exploring, he's quickly
arrested by the Naziscum, who don't appreciate him being a Jewish
scientist. And so, he ended up creating NaziGermany, and has deluded
himself into thinking some alternate version of himself will arrive,
learn of his capture, and then free him.

And all because he wanted to help the South out. Instead, he made
things far worse for the entire world, and doomed himself.

> But to save Sirius and Buckbeak, or even to
>just let a schoolgirl take extra classes, no problem!

Letting a kid take extra classes with such a dangerous thing is
ridiculous. But saving Siirus and Buckbeak was predestined. They
didn't seek to change history.

Toon

unread,
May 20, 2007, 4:03:44 AM5/20/07
to
On Sat, 19 May 2007 22:47:33 -0500, Drusilla
<gammanormids*erasethis*@gmail.com> wrote:

>>
>> But Harry was riding shotgun with V as Nagini. I think that was full
>> legils. He subconsciously connected and legilsed him, and saw what he
>> saw.
>
>I think it's something different. Like they share one mind at the same
>time. We know Legilimency can see thoughts and memories, but we don't
>know for sure if it shows what the person being read is seeing and
>thinking at the same moment, like a movie.
>
>ALthough we know that Harry and Voldemort is an exception to almost any
>rule.

They could have created an advanced form of it. Like, DD thinks V's
control of Nagini is form having his soul in her. I say, he developed
an advanced form of Parseltongue.

Perhaps this is the side effect of having part of another's soul
inside you. You mind meld with ease.

Drusilla

unread,
May 20, 2007, 10:31:26 PM5/20/07
to
Toon escribió:

Maybe. This power activated when LV regained his body though. Before
that, he just felt him when he was around, but nothing of sharing
thoughts. I suppose this might be a clue but I can't figure out why.

Toon

unread,
May 21, 2007, 4:20:18 AM5/21/07
to

Double link. V's soul bit in Harry, Harry's blood in V. Burts the
door to each other wide open. previously, they needed to be in close
proximity, and then only extreme emotional thoughts were detected, and
just their emotions, like an EMpath or such.

acd

unread,
May 21, 2007, 5:52:16 AM5/21/07
to
On 16 Mai, 21:55, drusilla <gammanormids*eraseth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mmm... perhaps Harry has the ability and potential but he doesn't know
> how to work it nor is able to. You need to control your emotions to
> master Occlumency, and that's something Harry is unable to do.

This is of course a part of maturity. A child is not able at all
to suppress the expression of their emotions, later they still have
the
emotions, but will not always show it.
Controlling the emotions is the next step.

Furthermore, I think unconsciously Harry did not want to succeed in
the lessons,
because hw did not like having extra hours with snape and was angry
on DD for assiging it.
He would have well accepted extra lessons with, say McGonnagal.
If you are forced to learn something which you dislike or you dislike
the teacher,
then success will not be great.

Thomas Gagne

unread,
May 21, 2007, 9:24:57 AM5/21/07
to
I'm unconvinced Harry's parselmouth was an unintended gift of Riddle's.
I've heard it postulated that it may have come from Riddle but these
theories don't preclude Harry's having it naturally. Where else has it
been said the AK curse lends to its victim, just before their immediate
and certain death, the powers of the caster?

And so it goes with Occlumancy. Harry's ability to master this skill
(if he does) may be more a gift of the "natural talent" kind and not the
"it came with the scar" kind.

--
Visit <http://blogs.instreamfinancial.com/anything.php>
to read my rants on technology and the finance industry.

jesshc

unread,
May 21, 2007, 10:42:32 AM5/21/07
to

This reminds me of something I don't recall seeing discussed here
before, though I may have just missed it: in recently rereading of the
series in preparation for the release of the last book, I noticed that
in OotF (maybe it was HBP) Dobby briefly mentioned something along the
lines of being a Hogwarts house elf keeping Dumbledore's secrets. It
made me wonder if Dobby is going to reveal one of DD's secrets, maybe
the secret of why DD trusted Snape, e.g. I don't recall the chapter,
or even the context, at the moment.

Green-Eyed Chris

unread,
May 21, 2007, 1:37:07 PM5/21/07
to
In article <1179758552.6...@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, jesshc
<jes...@phantomemail.com> wrote:

At the moment, this reminds _me_ of the time Moose Malloy told me to find
his Velma... only _he_ provided a down payment for the job.
--
Chris

Ceil

unread,
May 21, 2007, 4:31:15 PM5/21/07
to
Thomas Gagne wrote:
> I'm unconvinced Harry's parselmouth was an unintended gift of Riddle's.
> I've heard it postulated that it may have come from Riddle but these
> theories don't preclude Harry's having it naturally. Where else has it
> been said the AK curse lends to its victim, just before their immediate
> and certain death, the powers of the caster?
>
> And so it goes with Occlumancy. Harry's ability to master this skill
> (if he does) may be more a gift of the "natural talent" kind and not the
> "it came with the scar" kind.
>
Well keep in mind that the mechanics of "The Killing Curse" have never
been fully explained (to my knowledge). Perhaps it works similarly to
the Patronus charm, only it's powered by hate and malice; in which case,
you're sending a piece of your self out to attack someone. If that were
the case, it'd be quite possible to transfer some of your power(s) to
the victim; if they happen to survive. Remember, this is the first time
anyone's survived AK. Perhaps if it happened again, you would see the
same result.

Thomas Gagne

unread,
May 21, 2007, 4:44:42 PM5/21/07
to
Ceil wrote:
> <snip>

>>
>>
> Well keep in mind that the mechanics of "The Killing Curse" have never
> been fully explained (to my knowledge). Perhaps it works similarly to
> the Patronus charm, only it's powered by hate and malice; in which
> case, you're sending a piece of your self out to attack someone. If
> that were the case, it'd be quite possible to transfer some of your
> power(s) to the victim; if they happen to survive. Remember, this is
> the first time anyone's survived AK. Perhaps if it happened again, you
> would see the same result.
Didn't Harry try it at the end of OOtP, but it didn't work? Maybe it
was crusius? I remember a death-eater laughing at him after it failed
and telling him he had to really want to kill someone (or hurt them) for
the curse to work.

Drusilla

unread,
May 21, 2007, 5:54:21 PM5/21/07
to
Toon escribió:

But then does LV feels what Harry feels? LV's is a big occlumens, so, we
might assume that he controls his feelings better, unlike Harry, who is
completely the opposite. Then, it's Harry who feels them, while LV
didn't knew until the end that they had the connection. LV should have
felt Harry's strongest emotions: the kiss, the rage against Umbridge, etc.

Drusilla

unread,
May 21, 2007, 5:56:34 PM5/21/07
to
acd escribió:

> On 16 Mai, 21:55, drusilla <gammanormids*eraseth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Mmm... perhaps Harry has the ability and potential but he doesn't know
>> how to work it nor is able to. You need to control your emotions to
>> master Occlumency, and that's something Harry is unable to do.
>
> This is of course a part of maturity. A child is not able at all
> to suppress the expression of their emotions, later they still have
> the
> emotions, but will not always show it.
> Controlling the emotions is the next step.

Draco can. And I think Draco is more skilled at controlling emotions due
to the environment where he lives. It's more like the personality. I
have a friend who has always being a little bit stoical, since we were
in high school. I think he had been a superb occlumens.

> Furthermore, I think unconsciously Harry did not want to succeed in
> the lessons,
> because hw did not like having extra hours with snape and was angry
> on DD for assiging it.
> He would have well accepted extra lessons with, say McGonnagal.
> If you are forced to learn something which you dislike or you dislike
> the teacher,
> then success will not be great.


That, and that he didn't know why he was supposed to learn.

Ceil

unread,
May 21, 2007, 7:01:53 PM5/21/07
to
Thomas Gagne wrote:
> Ceil wrote:
>> <snip>

> Didn't Harry try it at the end of OOtP, but it didn't work? Maybe it
> was crusius? I remember a death-eater laughing at him after it failed
> and telling him he had to really want to kill someone (or hurt them) for
> the curse to work.
>
It's been a while, but I think Bellatrix laughed at Harry when he tried
a Crucio. So yeah, there's evidence that the emotion/desire to hurt must
at least be present in the caster, if not actually sent out as a spell.

Ceil

unread,
May 21, 2007, 7:08:41 PM5/21/07
to
acd wrote:
> On 16 Mai, 21:55, drusilla <gammanormids*eraseth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Mmm... perhaps Harry has the ability and potential but he doesn't know
>> how to work it nor is able to. You need to control your emotions to
>> master Occlumency, and that's something Harry is unable to do.
>
> This is of course a part of maturity. A child is not able at all
> to suppress the expression of their emotions, later they still have
> the
> emotions, but will not always show it.
> Controlling the emotions is the next step.
>
> <snip>
>

I disagree. Everybody (and mind) is different. I was able to suppress
emotions even in pre-pubescence (I personally blame the Ritalin, but
anyway). I spent a great part of my "growing up" (age 10-17) studying
the people around me, something I couldn't do objectively if emotions
got in the way. I knew other kids the same way. And Harry at this time
is what, 16? Hardly a "child" by my definition (pre-pubescent).

There are kids (anyone under 18 by my definition) that can suppress
their emotions, and adults that can't. Age isn't everything, even though
it is _a_ factor.

Toon

unread,
May 22, 2007, 3:47:18 AM5/22/07
to
On 21 May 2007 02:52:16 -0700, acd <acd4u...@lycos.de> wrote:

>If you are forced to learn something which you dislike or you dislike
>the teacher,
>then success will not be great.

But at least there's success.

Toon

unread,
May 22, 2007, 3:48:01 AM5/22/07
to
On Mon, 21 May 2007 09:24:57 -0400, Thomas Gagne
<tga...@wide-open-west.com> wrote:

>Where else has it
>been said the AK curse lends to its victim, just before their immediate
>and certain death, the powers of the caster?

From fans.

Toon

unread,
May 22, 2007, 3:50:58 AM5/22/07
to

Only if strong enough. Voldemort was really furious, really happy (he
found a great victory). Was Harry extra emotional, or typical teenage
emotional? And what if when he was Raging Against Umbridge, V also
was enraged, and never noticed?

Green-Eyed Chris

unread,
May 22, 2007, 5:49:37 AM5/22/07
to
In article <f2t4om$mcs$3...@aioe.org>, Drusilla
<gammanormids*erasethis*@gmail.com> wrote:

To tell the truth, I donąt know why either. Furthermore, I do not
understand the people here who claim that Harry still needs to learn
Occlumency when JKR herself says
<http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/extras/aa-jointerview2.html>:

łHarryąs problem with it was always that his emotions were too near the
surface and that he is in some ways too damaged. But he's also very in
touch with his feelings about what's happened to him. He's not repressed,
he's quite honest about facing them, and he couldn't suppress them, he
couldn't suppress these memories.˛

In OotP, Ch. 37. Dumbledore says that initially he was afraid Voldemort
might try and possess Harry as a means to spy on him. Then he realized
łVoldemortąs aim in possessing you, as he demonstrated tonight, would not
have been my destruction. It would have been yours.˛ When Voldemort tried
to use Harry to retrieve the Prophecy, Dumbledore says: łIt became a
matter of even greater urgency that you should master Occlumency.˛

However, when Voldemort actually did try to possess Harry in the MoM, it
turned out that łhe could not bear to reside in a body so full of the
force he detests˛. Dumbledore concedes that: łIn the end, it mattered not
that you could not close your mind. It was your heart that saved you.˛
Indeed, in HBP, Ch. 4, we read:

»Lord Voldemort has finally realised the dangerous access to his
thoughts and feelings you have been enjoying. It appears that
he is now employing Occlumency against you.«

and

»If Iąm having lessons with you, I wonąt have to do Occlumency
lessons with Snape, will I?«
»~Professor~ Snape, Harry ­ and no, you will not.«

In HBP, Ch. 25, Dumbledore echoes JKR when he says »Harry, you were never
a good OcclumensŠ«

The only one who still seems to believe that Occlumency will be important
for Harry is our beloved and ever protective Potions Master (HBP, Ch. 28):

»Blocked again, and again, and again until you learn to keep
your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!« sneered Snape,
deflecting the curse once more.

This is due to the fact that Snape was not present at the battle in the
MoM and also does not know the second part of the Prophecy... łbut he will
have power the Dark Lord knows not˛.

With the exception of three short memory snips Harry got from Snape, it
has only been established that Occlumency and Legilimency exists in Books
5 + 6. Both will not really come into play until a certain łhighly
accomplished Occlumens˛ stands in front of łthe most accomplished
Legilimens the world has ever seen˛ in Book 7.
--
Chris

Frodo Baggins

unread,
May 22, 2007, 3:26:43 PM5/22/07
to

On May 18, 3:56 pm, Lyle Francis Delp <theeleva...@manhattan.com>
wrote:
>
> > Sure, why not? But then again, why? Unlike parseltongue, there's no
> > reason given in the books to believe he's gained occulemency skills.
> > Therefore there's no reason given. Do you get that, can you understand
> > it? No reason given in the books equals no reason. See?
>
> Your assholeness is showing again.
>
> Perhaps the reason hasn't been made clear...yet. See? Can you understand it?
>
> [sheesh!!]
>

In my opinion, the books seem to indicate that parseltoungue was
perhaps a more genetic trait rather than a trained one. Occlumency,
Legilimency etc seem to be aquired or learnt skills. The power
transfer from LV would have been the former since Harry did not come
to Hogwarts as a Wizard whizkid.

Certainly this place has people spouting theories without too much
thought, I just cant understand why people respond and then get
agitated when they can best ignore it or use the same bandwidth to
explain.

> > So what, you could extrapolate anything from that--what fact from the
> > book even says LV is great at occlumency? None.
> > Would all you "speculitists" get a fucking clue? If it ain't in the
> > books, it's just fucking guess work.
>
> I'm nothing of the sort. This entire NG is based on the speculations of
> the contributors. Do you get it? Can you understand it?
>
> I guess not.
>
> Just go read the books.


>
> --
> Yeah! Lyle Francis Delp

> Ya wanna make somethin' outtavit?- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


jesshc

unread,
May 22, 2007, 4:24:20 PM5/22/07
to

Are you upset I don't have my copies of OotP and HPB at work with me
to refer to? Golly, I'll be sure to carry them with me where ever I
go from now on. I apologize for thinking Dobby's mentioning he keeps
Dumbledore's secrets could be significant.

DaveD

unread,
May 22, 2007, 4:42:25 PM5/22/07
to

"Ceil" <cei...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:f2svlm$8bn$1...@registered.motzarella.org...


Or it could be related to Harry being a living (if accidental) horcrux - if
he is one, of course :)

DaveD


Green-Eyed Chris

unread,
May 23, 2007, 3:46:59 AM5/23/07
to
In article <1179865459.9...@z24g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, jesshc
<jes...@phantomemail.com> wrote:

Can¹t you take a little sarcastic rib? You certainly set yourself up
perfectly for it. You couldn¹t remember the quote, the book, the chapter
or the context. You were totally obliviated!!!

Just to show that I still have some academic spirit left, here¹s your
ickle quote from GoF <ahem>, Ch. 21:

»Can¹t house-elves speak their minds about their masters,
then?« Harry asked.
»Oh no, sir, no«, said Dobby, looking suddenly serious. »¹Tis
part of the house-elf¹s enslavement, sir. We keeps their secrets
and our silence, sir. We upholds the family¹s honor, and we
never speaks ill of them ­ though Professor Dumbledore told
Dobby he does not insist upon this. Professor Dumbledore said
we is free to ­ toŠ«
Dobby looked suddenly nervous and beckoned Harry closer.
Harry bent forward. Dobby whispered, »He said we is free to call
him a ­ a barmy old codger if we likes, sir!«
Dobby gave a frightened sort of giggle.
»But Dobby is not wanting to, Harry Potter«, he said, talking
normally again, and shaking his head so that his ears flapped.
»Dobby likes Professor Dumbledore very much, sir, and is proud
to keep his secrets and our silence for him.«

Now do your own homework.
--
Chris

Toon

unread,
May 23, 2007, 3:59:40 AM5/23/07
to
On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:49:37 +0200, cw...@SPAMfreenet.de (Green-Eyed
Chris) wrote:

>The only one who still seems to believe that Occlumency will be important
>for Harry is our beloved and ever protective Potions Master (HBP, Ch. 28):
>
>»Blocked again, and again, and again until you learn to keep
>your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!« sneered Snape,
>deflecting the curse once more.
>
>This is due to the fact that Snape was not present at the battle in the
>MoM and also does not know the second part of the Prophecy... łbut he will
>have power the Dark Lord knows not˛.

Yes, but Snape knows Voldemort better than anyone else. He's lived
with him (assuming a communal base at times), served under him, been
his most trusted DE. Id Snape thinks Harry needs this, he might.

But it is possible Voldemort will so fear reading Harry's mind and
picking up on his various love thoughts, he simply won't do it.

Toon

unread,
May 23, 2007, 4:00:33 AM5/23/07
to
On 22 May 2007 12:26:43 -0700, Frodo Baggins <douf...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>Certainly this place has people spouting theories without too much
>thought, I just cant understand why people respond and then get
>agitated when they can best ignore it or use the same bandwidth to
>explain.

It's like these theories are a ring we wear what corrupts us.

jesshc

unread,
May 23, 2007, 10:33:07 AM5/23/07
to
On May 23, 12:46 am, c...@SPAMfreenet.de (Green-Eyed Chris) wrote:
> In article <1179865459.933976.103...@z24g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, jesshc

>
> <jes...@phantomemail.com> wrote:
> >Green-Eyed Chris wrote:
> >> In article <1179758552.695323.281...@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, jesshc
> >> <jes...@phantomemail.com> wrote:
>
> >> >Toon wrote:
> >> >> On 17 May 2007 05:52:50 -0700, Sirius Kase <SiriusK...@gmail.com>

I remembered the gist of the quote, and thought it merited comment. I
made it clear my memory was fuzzy; I would have thought it was obvious
I didn't have the books handy to refer to, but wanted to mention the
idea, since it struck me as significant and didn't want to let it slip
away. Rather than say something like "That's interesting," or "Could
you look that up for me?" or "We've already discussed that," you
jumped at the opportunity to offer rudeness. If you were trying to be
playful or funny, you need some practice.

> Just to show that I still have some academic spirit left, here¹s your
> ickle quote from GoF <ahem>, Ch. 21:

This is you being friendly, is it?

> »Can¹t house-elves speak their minds about their masters,
> then?« Harry asked.
> »Oh no, sir, no«, said Dobby, looking suddenly serious. »¹Tis
> part of the house-elf¹s enslavement, sir. We keeps their secrets
> and our silence, sir. We upholds the family¹s honor, and we
> never speaks ill of them ­ though Professor Dumbledore told
> Dobby he does not insist upon this. Professor Dumbledore said
> we is free to ­ toŠ«
> Dobby looked suddenly nervous and beckoned Harry closer.
> Harry bent forward. Dobby whispered, »He said we is free to call
> him a ­ a barmy old codger if we likes, sir!«
> Dobby gave a frightened sort of giggle.
> »But Dobby is not wanting to, Harry Potter«, he said, talking
> normally again, and shaking his head so that his ears flapped.
> »Dobby likes Professor Dumbledore very much, sir, and is proud
> to keep his secrets and our silence for him.«

Bravo. That's the one.

> Now do your own homework.

Did I ask anyone to do my homework? Had anyone asked nicely, I might
have taken the time to find the quote, after I'd gotten home from
work. Since you've twice now made it clear you aren't interested,
there isn't much point, is there?

Drusilla

unread,
May 23, 2007, 9:04:25 PM5/23/07
to
Toon escribió:

Did we were told when LV realised about the connexion? Was because of
him sensing Harry's feelings?

Toon

unread,
May 24, 2007, 3:54:20 AM5/24/07
to
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:46:59 +0200, cw...@SPAMfreenet.de (Green-Eyed
Chris) wrote:


>»Can¹t house-elves speak their minds about their masters,
>then?« Harry asked.
>»Oh no, sir, no«, said Dobby, looking suddenly serious. »¹Tis
>part of the house-elf¹s enslavement, sir. We keeps their secrets
>and our silence, sir. We upholds the family¹s honor, and we
>never speaks ill of them ­ though Professor Dumbledore told
>Dobby he does not insist upon this. Professor Dumbledore said
>we is free to ­ toŠ«
>Dobby looked suddenly nervous and beckoned Harry closer.
>Harry bent forward. Dobby whispered, »He said we is free to call
>him a ­ a barmy old codger if we likes, sir!«
>Dobby gave a frightened sort of giggle.
>»But Dobby is not wanting to, Harry Potter«, he said, talking
>normally again, and shaking his head so that his ears flapped.
>»Dobby likes Professor Dumbledore very much, sir, and is proud
>to keep his secrets and our silence for him.«
>
>Now do your own homework.

So, house elves (at least freed ones) consider themselves enslaved to
wizards. But the ending sounds more like in principle than anything
specific. He can tell DD's secrets if he wants to, but he won't. Just
like Dobby specifically has no master, but will always obey any
command of Harry's. Dobby, and the other elves, have that choice. Why
would Dd tell his secrets to someone not bound to keep em quiet?

richard e white

unread,
May 25, 2007, 11:34:48 AM5/25/07
to
Toon wrote:

> On 17 May 2007 05:52:50 -0700, Sirius Kase <Siriu...@gmail.com>


> wrote:
>
> >Honey didn't say they were. When DD mentioned the RoR in book 4, he
> >seemed to have been unaware of it before the Chamber Pot incident. In
> >CoS, it was stated that DD had searched the entire castle and never
> >fournd the Chamber of Secrets. Honey restated both of those facts in
> >separate sentences. Your head connected them somehow.
>
> Further, he always knew the COS existed (well, since 50 years ago).
> Even after he stumbled upon the ROR, he still didn't know what it was,
> having gone looking for it again and never finding it. Nor another
> room in it's place. Dobby, OTOH, seemed well aquatinted with it. So,
> the Elves are keeping secrets, even from DD.

I don't think so. I think DD knew more about tthe ror then he was admiting
to. If you read or lissen to the passage where DD talks about it you may
note hints that DD was makeing a joke of the whole thing. Harry notes it
at the time. I think DD was needling the durmstrain headmaster. But DD
might have been trying to help harry at the same time. It could be DD's
way of trying to help the champions. They where all there and all could of
used the information. Think of how that room could have helped harry in
his surch for how to breath underwater or practis spells.
But while DD might try and help I don't think he would faver any one of
them. Or it may just have been a joke to DD.
But the coment about DD's eyes here makes me think he knew of the room.


--
Richard The Blind Typer.
Lets hear it for talking computers.
Lets go for talking i-pods!


richard e white

unread,
May 25, 2007, 11:39:22 AM5/25/07
to
jesshc wrote:

It was said in the kitchen in book fore when Harry was asking about
houseelves saying there minds. Harry was working around to ask about draco's
family.
Still you may have something there. and I can see that the house elves would
have a great many secrets of the headmaster and the school. The better
question would be how could one of these help Harry?
And wouldn't they just keep the next headmaster or head mistress' secrets?

richard e white

unread,
May 25, 2007, 11:46:02 AM5/25/07
to
Toon wrote:

Because he might want it let out at the right time would be my guess.
Dobby would be a good target for that kind of leaked information. In fact
that might be why Dobby told about the RoR. DD is smart enugf to know
that Dobby will tell anything to harry if it would help harry. But Dobby
wouldn't give the secret to any one else or even to Harry if it wouldn't
help Harry.
So yes Dobby could be used that way. As could the portrit, the pensive or
even old notes of DD. The real question is witch will JKR use?
For I think it most likely that some information will turn up by one of
these means.

richard e white

unread,
May 25, 2007, 12:06:00 PM5/25/07
to
Lyle Francis Delp wrote:

> On 2007-05-18 07:52:07 -0400, Toon <to...@toon.com> said:
>
> > On Thu, 17 May 2007 11:19:08 -0400, Lyle Francis Delp
> > <theel...@manhattan.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On 2007-05-16 18:27:25 -0400, "Matt Clara" <hey.w...@buzz.off> said:
> >>
> >>> <honeysuc...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >>> news:1179335756.6...@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
> >>>> On May 16, 11:48 am, "Matt Clara" <hey.woo...@buzz.off> wrote:
> >>>>> <honeysuckler3...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >>>>>
> >>>>> news:1179315699.0...@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
> >>>>>
> >>>>>> If Harry got some of LV powers the night he tried to kill him then it
> >>>>>> stands to reason that harry would have some ability with Occlumency.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Why? There's zero evidence for that. You're just making stuff up, you are.
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> If you have read the books then you know I am not making anything up.
> >>>> In one of the books DD mentioned the their was a room in the castle he
> >>>> only saw one time He needed to use the bathroom and a room appeared
> >>>> full of chamber pots. I don't think DD knew about the room of
> >>>> requirements. It is very possible since they searched the castle threw
> >>>> and threw and never found the Chamber of secrets.
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>> What in the world does that have to do with "harry would have some
> >>> ability with Occlumency" due to his interaction with LV? Let me try to
> >>> be clear: you state there's reason to believe the above is true, but
> >>> there is no reason, none given in the books, to believe Harry has
> >>> gained occlumency abilities from LV. This doesn't rule it out, but
> >>> there is no such reason. Thus you're just making stuff up.
> >>
> >> If LV transferred his ability with Parseltongue to Harry, why
> >> not Occlumency and Legilimency? DD told Harry that LV
> >> transferred some of his powers to Harry the night he tried
> >> to kill him as a baby. Perhaps he did and they just haven't
> >> manifested themselves yet.
> >
> > Some, not all. PT and Legils, yes, Occuls no. We've seen he can't do
> > it.
>
> Yet.
>
> Just because Occlumency hasn't manifested itself yet,
> doesn't mean that it never will.
>
> I think Snape sabotaged the lessons...or at least he couldn't
> put his hatred of James/Harry aside long enough to teach
> Harry properly. One or the other.


>
> --
> Yeah! Lyle Francis Delp
> Ya wanna make somethin' outtavit?

JKR said Harry never would be all that good at oucc in an interview. And I'm not sure
that is the only way to fight back aginst leg. In the battle aginst V in the grave
yard Harry did best when he stood up to fight with out knowing what he was going to do
next. V was unable to stop harry or antisapate harrys actions at that point. This
seams to point to the idea that a person just reacting on the spot removes the
advantage that Leg can give a wizard in a duel.
The other side of the coin is that Harry was vary calm at that point and may have been
doing Oucc with out knowing it. So there is one small bit of evadence. The problem
is that it can be used for either side of the thoughts.

Still Harry may still be able to use Oucc at the right time even if he can't do it at
will when he wants.
As to Harry being able to do Leg? I think the anser is that some times he can. He
often gets feelings that some one is lieing or doesn't belive him. The problem with
useing this as evadence is that it is either bad or just Harry reading other peoples
faces. Every one can do it to some extent. And that's the problem. When is it meant
to be magic and when is it just reading faces and the tone of voice.
What I find more intresting is how Harry can tell when DD, snape and others are useing
more then normal face reading. Even before Harry knew about these two skills he had
identified the piercing gaze no matter who was useing it. To me this seams to be a
lower level of the leg. The part that just lets the user know about lies. Harry has
felt it from DD, snape and V.
Even if Harry can't use Oucc fully I think Leg might be another matter.
For JKR has already shown that harry can use love to force V out of his mind. I
wounder if this is a way that Snape didn't bother with?

richard e white

unread,
May 25, 2007, 12:07:29 PM5/25/07
to
Lyle Francis Delp wrote:

> On 2007-05-19 01:04:01 -0400, Toon <to...@toon.com> said:


>
> > On Fri, 18 May 2007 14:04:02 -0400, Lyle Francis Delp
> > <theel...@manhattan.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Yet.
> >>
> >> Just because Occlumency hasn't manifested itself yet,
> >> doesn't mean that it never will.
> >

> > Well, he gained Parseltongue, and automatically does it. He seems to
> > have gained Legils, and automatically does it when asleep.
>
> Here's the problem. It's never been stated that Harry's
> scar connection with LV is actually Legilimency, has it?
> Therefore, it can't be categorically stated that he
> automatically does it when asleep.
>
> > Why would
> > he gain Occuls, and not only never automatically do it, but when he
> > practices it, he can't do it? Doesn't fit the pattern.
>
> Because, as an angry teenager, and being taunted and
> bullied by Snape, he can't clear his mind. That's the first
> step. If Harry can't do that, Occlumency can't occur.
>
> Ironically, the killing of DD may have been just the thing
> that will clear Harry's mind and set him on his quest.
> Sometimes it takes such a shock to do this.
>
> > All of V's
> > powers that were transferred have been automatically activated (at
> > least subconsciously, ala Harry's pre training magic as a kid). To
> > suddenly have one not be automatic and not work when taught (however
> > poorly) doesn't fit, nor does it make any sense.
>
> Except that Harry's mind must be cleared for it to work.
>
> I'm not stating categorically the Occlumency was included in
> LV's "magical care pakage". Just a thought. But, I'm also not
> quite sure that Legilimency was either. Although it has been
> stated that the scar is the connection, it's never stated that
> connection is Legilimency.


>
> --
> Yeah! Lyle Francis Delp
> Ya wanna make somethin' outtavit?

In fact the books say it doesn't follow the same rules. I think that means
it is something else that is doing that conection.

richard e white

unread,
May 25, 2007, 12:16:50 PM5/25/07