Fan fics?

1 view

Vicky

Apr 3, 2003, 8:15:25 PM4/3/03
Does anyone know of any *good* MSTd harry potter fan fics?

Vicky

[***I woke up this morning with a smile on my face***]
[***And nobody's gonna bring me down today***]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/finnyfish/
http://gettheskinny.easyjournal.com

Tennant Stuart

Apr 4, 2003, 6:06:55 AM4/4/03
In article <20030403201525...@mb-fl.aol.com>,
tor...@aol.comeonover (Vicky) wrote:

> Does anyone know of any *good* MSTd harry potter fan fics?

That depends on what "MSTd" means, Vicky.

Tennant Stuart

--
____ ____ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ ____
(_ _)( ___)( \( )( \( ) /__\ ( \( )(_ _) Greetings to family

glitter

Apr 4, 2003, 1:21:39 PM4/4/03
"Tennant Stuart" wrote:

> > Does anyone know of any *good* MSTd harry potter fan fics?
>
> That depends on what "MSTd" means, Vicky.

"MSTd" means they've got a running commentary like on the TV series "Mystery
Science Theatre 3000" ("MST3K"). The person doing the MSTing takes the
you-know-what out of badly written fan fic, writing as one or more of the
characters.

Try Google, there must be loads.

Glitter

Vicky

Apr 4, 2003, 3:57:03 PM4/4/03
>Try Google, there must be loads.

actually I did try before i even posted. I only found a few, and I have
finished them already. I like the ones that are commented on my the
"Characters" in the story though, not like by some person. It just seems
funnier to imagine Hermione reading about herself in a horrible fic.

Vicky

Apr 4, 2003, 4:04:43 PM4/4/03
>I like the ones that are commented on my the
>"Characters"

by the charachters**

Vicky

Apr 4, 2003, 4:07:22 PM4/4/03
>by the charachters**

> charachters**

oh nevermind my dumb spelling

OnsenMark

Apr 4, 2003, 6:30:45 PM4/4/03
tor...@aol.comeonover (Vicky) writes:

>Does anyone know of any *good* MSTd harry potter fan fics?
>
>Vicky

I'm pretty sure Shinji's Vault of Anime MiSTings(http://svamcentral.org/svam)
might have some. If not, you can probably find some places with some on the
links page.

Also, you might want to try a series called Card Captor Science Theater 3K(I
don't have the URL offhand, but you can Google the title) -- mostly MiSTings of
CCS fics, but the author's riffed a couple of HP fics, too.

HTH. ^_^

Mark. 8)
- proud member of the WGPS and the SDA!
-UtenaCode(1.1) U:6 F:Wa+++Ju++ D:Ak->Sh- X:*** a:39++ M:f ZUM(w/Banyuu
Inryoku)
"BE HAPPY FOR ME AND MY SHOE. O_O" - Verthandi

Vicky

Apr 4, 2003, 7:08:35 PM4/4/03
>HTH. ^_^

thanks!

Tennant Stuart

Apr 4, 2003, 5:23:56 PM4/4/03
In article <ZRjja.360$AP2...@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>,
"glitter" <virtual...@MUNGEDyahoo.com> wrote:

> "Tennant Stuart" wrote:

>>> Does anyone know of any *good* MSTd harry potter fan fics?

>> That depends on what "MSTd" means, Vicky.

> "MSTd" means they've got a running commentary like on the TV series
> "Mystery Science Theatre 3000" ("MST3K"). The person doing the MSTing
> takes the you-know-what out of badly written fan fic, writing as one
> or more of the characters.

That sounds a bit cruel.

What does the "d" mean?

Tennant

OnsenMark

Apr 4, 2003, 8:19:55 PM4/4/03
In article <20030404190835...@mb-fh.aol.com>,
tor...@aol.comeonover (Vicky) writes:

>>HTH. ^_^
>
>thanks!

No problem. ^^

OnsenMark

Apr 4, 2003, 8:19:57 PM4/4/03
In article <na.8a0fa54bde...@argonet.co.uk>, Tennant Stuart
<ten...@argonet.co.uk> writes:

>In article <ZRjja.360$AP2...@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>,

>>> That depends on what "MSTd" means, Vicky.
>
>> "MSTd" means they've got a running commentary like on the TV series
>> "Mystery Science Theatre 3000" ("MST3K"). The person doing the MSTing
>> takes the you-know-what out of badly written fan fic, writing as one
>> or more of the characters.
>
>That sounds a bit cruel.

It depends. A lot of MiSTings are quite funny, and the vast majority of them
are done with the consent of the author; although, authors have been known to
get mad at those who riff their work at one time or another(David Gonterman
comes to mind).

>What does the "d" mean?

Nothing, really. It's in there for pronunciation purposes, I surmise.

James Burbidge

Apr 4, 2003, 8:58:37 PM4/4/03
On 04 Apr 2003 01:15:25 GMT, tor...@aol.comeonover (Vicky) wrote:

>Does anyone know of any *good* MSTd harry potter fan fics?

There is an incomplete (still in progress) MSTing of the _Psychic
Serpent_ at
http://www.freewebs.com/celestialwombat/celestialsciencetheatre.htm
which is relatively well done.

--
James Burbidge jamesandma...@sympatico.ca

Petrea Mitchell

Apr 4, 2003, 10:12:33 PM4/4/03
At Fri, 4 Apr 2003 19:21:39 +0100,
glitter <virtual...@mungedyahoo.com> strode forth and proclaimed:

> "MSTd" means they've got a running commentary like on the TV series "Mystery
> Science Theatre 3000" ("MST3K"). The person doing the MSTing takes the
> you-know-what out of badly written fan fic, writing as one or more of the
> characters.
>
> Try Google, there must be loads.

But try searching on "MSTed" or "MiSTed"-- those are the more common spel-
lings.

--
/
Petrea Mitchell <|> <|> <pr...@m5p.com>

Petrea Mitchell

Apr 4, 2003, 10:18:29 PM4/4/03
At Sat, 05 Apr 2003 00:23:56 BST,
Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> strode forth and proclaimed:

> In article <ZRjja.360$AP2...@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> "glitter" <virtual...@MUNGEDyahoo.com> wrote:

>> "MSTd" means they've got a running commentary like on the TV series
>> "Mystery Science Theatre 3000" ("MST3K"). The person doing the MSTing
>> takes the you-know-what out of badly written fan fic, writing as one
>> or more of the characters.
>
> That sounds a bit cruel.

Not when the source material is really, really bad in the right way and
the heckling is sufficiently creative. Go to http://pinky.wtower.com/ and
read a few of the MSTings with high ratings or awards to get an idea of how.

> What does the "d" mean?

It's the suffix to construct the past participle of "MST", shortened from
the English -'d form. Usually the -ed form is used with "MST"/"MiST".

Frank White

Apr 4, 2003, 9:53:46 PM4/4/03
In article <na.8a0fa54bde...@argonet.co.uk>,
ten...@argonet.co.uk says...

>In article <ZRjja.360$AP2...@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>,

>>> That depends on what "MSTd" means, Vicky.
>
>> "MSTd" means they've got a running commentary like on the TV series
>> "Mystery Science Theatre 3000" ("MST3K"). The person doing the MSTing
>> takes the you-know-what out of badly written fan fic, writing as one
>> or more of the characters.
>
>That sounds a bit cruel.

Actually, done right, it can be extremely funny. And even
illuminating. Reading a bad fan-fic may leave a very bad
taste in your mouth, but reading an intelligent dissection
of WHY it is bad, leavened with jokes and funny comebacks,
can ease the pain markedly.

Some authors' MSTs even take on a life of their own. The
interactions between the characters they are using to review
the fan-fic can become so interesting and absorbing (with
loves, hates, mutual respect and sympathy, etc, etc developing
between them) that the MST is actually an interruption in
the story, especially if the same characters are used over and
over for a variety of MSTs.

You might want to check MSTs out. It can be a very enjoyable
genre.

>What does the "d" mean?

"Mystery Science Theatre"ed

FW

Tennant Stuart

Apr 5, 2003, 6:49:51 PM4/5/03
In article <20030404201957...@mb-fa.aol.com>,
locu...@aol.combatrock (OnsenMark) wrote:

> In article <na.8a0fa54bde...@argonet.co.uk>, Tennant Stuart
> <ten...@argonet.co.uk> writes:

>> In article <ZRjja.360$AP2...@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>,

>>> "MSTd" means they've got a running commentary like on the TV series
>>> "Mystery Science Theatre 3000" ("MST3K"). The person doing the MSTing
>>> takes the you-know-what out of badly written fan fic, writing as one
>>> or more of the characters.

>> That sounds a bit cruel.

> It depends. A lot of MiSTings are quite funny, and the vast majority of
> them are done with the consent of the author; although, authors have
> been known to get mad at those who riff their work at one time or
> another(David Gonterman comes to mind).

Well, like a lot of things, it's no excuse to be cruel to a person, just
because someone other than your victim didn't raise any objection to it.

>> What does the "d" mean?

> Nothing, really. It's in there for pronunciation purposes, I surmise.

Ah.

Tennant Stuart

Apr 5, 2003, 6:51:08 PM4/5/03
In article <b6lgfq$1vuk$2...@news.fsr.net>,
fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank White) wrote:

>> In article <ZRjja.360$AP2...@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>,

>>> "MSTd" means they've got a running commentary like on the TV series
>>> "Mystery Science Theatre 3000" ("MST3K"). The person doing the MSTing
>>> takes the you-know-what out of badly written fan fic, writing as one
>>> or more of the characters.

>> That sounds a bit cruel.

> Actually, done right, it can be extremely funny. And even
> illuminating. Reading a bad fan-fic may leave a very bad
> taste in your mouth, but reading an intelligent dissection
> of WHY it is bad, leavened with jokes and funny comebacks,
> can ease the pain markedly.

Well, I don't think that's right unless the victim gave prior permission.

> Some authors' MSTs even take on a life of their own. The
> interactions between the characters they are using to review
> the fan-fic can become so interesting and absorbing (with
> loves, hates, mutual respect and sympathy, etc, etc developing
> between them) that the MST is actually an interruption in
> the story, especially if the same characters are used over and
> over for a variety of MSTs.

Would you like it if your work was pulled apart like that?

Tennant Stuart

Apr 5, 2003, 6:52:20 PM4/5/03
In article <v8sio5p...@corp.supernews.com>, Petrea Mitchell
<pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> wrote:

> At Sat, 05 Apr 2003 00:23:56 BST,
> Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> strode forth and proclaimed:

>> In article <ZRjja.360$AP2...@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>,
>> "glitter" <virtual...@MUNGEDyahoo.com> wrote:

>>> "MSTd" means they've got a running commentary like on the TV series
>>> "Mystery Science Theatre 3000" ("MST3K"). The person doing the MSTing
>>> takes the you-know-what out of badly written fan fic, writing as one
>>> or more of the characters.

>> That sounds a bit cruel.

> Not when the source material is really, really bad

The example mentioned so far is "Psychic Serpent" by Barbara Purdom,
one of the best-written (and longest) Harry Potter fanfics out there.

OnsenMark

Apr 5, 2003, 8:26:09 PM4/5/03
In article <na.778a864bde...@argonet.co.uk>, Tennant Stuart
<ten...@argonet.co.uk> writes:

>In article <b6lgfq$1vuk$2...@news.fsr.net>,
>fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank White) wrote:
>
>> In article <na.8a0fa54bde...@argonet.co.uk>,
>> ten...@argonet.co.uk says...

>>> That sounds a bit cruel.
>
>> Actually, done right, it can be extremely funny. And even
>> illuminating. Reading a bad fan-fic may leave a very bad
>> taste in your mouth, but reading an intelligent dissection
>> of WHY it is bad, leavened with jokes and funny comebacks,
>> can ease the pain markedly.
>
>Well, I don't think that's right unless the victim gave prior permission.

Usually, the authors do. According to the SVAM FAQ, it's best if you ask for
the author's permission before MiSTing their work. The only times you can MiST
without permission is if the author never writes back(not the best, but...
personally, I wouldn't do it), or if there's no way to contact the author(no
e-mail address or website listed in-fic).

>> Some authors' MSTs even take on a life of their own. The
>> interactions between the characters they are using to review
>> the fan-fic can become so interesting and absorbing (with
>> loves, hates, mutual respect and sympathy, etc, etc developing
>> between them) that the MST is actually an interruption in
>> the story, especially if the same characters are used over and
>> over for a variety of MSTs.
>
>Would you like it if your work was pulled apart like that?

I wouldn't mind -- I've got a couple of x-over Eva spamfics I'd like to put up
for dibs one of these days...

Petrea Mitchell

Apr 5, 2003, 11:14:27 PM4/5/03
At Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:51:08 BST,

Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> strode forth and proclaimed:

> Well, I don't think that's right unless the victim gave prior permission.

Most do. The core group of MSTers (the Dibs List, run through Web Site Number
Nine) do *not* MST creative works without explicit permission-- as the TV
show this is all based on always had proper permission to air the movies
they ripped apart.

> Would you like it if your work was pulled apart like that?

The key is to pick something so horrible that the reader feels absolutely
no sympathy for the author. To get an idea of the movies used on the MST3K,
you know _Plan 9 from Outer Space_, reputed to be the worst movie ever
made? _Plan 9_ looks like an entertaining and meaningful creation with real
production values compared to most of the MSTed movies.

--
/
Petrea Mitchell <|> <|> <pr...@m5p.com>

"Assembly language: where men are men and bits are scared." ---Cybermuffin
[insert one-liner here]

Petrea Mitchell

Apr 5, 2003, 11:16:27 PM4/5/03
At Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:52:20 BST,

Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> strode forth and proclaimed:

> In article <v8sio5p...@corp.supernews.com>, Petrea Mitchell
> <pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> wrote:

>> Not when the source material is really, really bad
>
> The example mentioned so far is "Psychic Serpent" by Barbara Purdom,
> one of the best-written (and longest) Harry Potter fanfics out there.

That would be a bad choice, then. I have to say, I've skimmed a few HP
fanfic archives looking for MSTable material, and I haven't yet found
anything that was pathetic enough in the right ways.

--
/
Petrea Mitchell <|> <|> <pr...@m5p.com>

Frank White

Apr 5, 2003, 11:22:07 PM4/5/03
In article <na.778a864bde...@argonet.co.uk>,
ten...@argonet.co.uk says...

>In article <b6lgfq$1vuk$2...@news.fsr.net>,
>fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank White) wrote:
>
>> In article <na.8a0fa54bde...@argonet.co.uk>,
>> ten...@argonet.co.uk says...

>>> That sounds a bit cruel.
>
>> Actually, done right, it can be extremely funny. And even
>> illuminating. Reading a bad fan-fic may leave a very bad
>> taste in your mouth, but reading an intelligent dissection
>> of WHY it is bad, leavened with jokes and funny comebacks,
>> can ease the pain markedly.
>
>Well, I don't think that's right unless the victim gave prior permission.

Some of the worst fan-fics are posted anonymously. And as such,
are fair game for anyone who comes along.

The problem is, I don't think you understand just how BAD the
bad fan=fics are we're talking about, are. I don't know if
you're familiar with anime, or Sailor Moon; but if so, you may
be interested to know that one of the most frequently MSTed fan-
fictioneers is a guy named Oscar who does lots of anime based
fiction. Not only does Oscar have great difficulties using
English in understandable ways ("Oscar putted on his tennis..."),
but he also does characters from various shows completely out of
character (imagine Harry acting like Malfoy), and shamelessly
stokes his own ego by inserting himself into his stories and
making himself the hero/irresistiable love interest/center of
attention. His most widely attacked work is "Artemis' Lover",
in which he depicts himself as the hermaphroditic human teenage
lover of the sentient, talking white male cat from Sailor Moon.

And no, I'm NOT kidding.

Look it up and see if you don't agree that this story deserves
to be MSTed, if not completely erased from existance...

>> Some authors' MSTs even take on a life of their own. The
>> interactions between the characters they are using to review
>> the fan-fic can become so interesting and absorbing (with
>> loves, hates, mutual respect and sympathy, etc, etc developing
>> between them) that the MST is actually an interruption in
>> the story, especially if the same characters are used over and
>> over for a variety of MSTs.
>
>Would you like it if your work was pulled apart like that?

If I wrote bad fan-fics, I'd take my lumps like a man. In fact
I might even use it to improve my writing.

I HAVE done fan-fics, before; if anyone wants to MST them,
you have my permission. Assuming you make sure I get a copy of
the results. ^_^

FW

OnsenMark

Apr 6, 2003, 6:35:34 PM4/6/03
In article <b6oa1f$1dof$4...@news.fsr.net>, fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank
White) writes:

Ah. But you forgot to mention the fact that in his/her/whatever's fics, Oscar
writes him/her/its/whatever-self up as a Super-Saiyajin.

As in a *Dragonball Z* Super-Saiyajin.

Oh, and s/he "died" in one("A Black Day, IIRC) of his(/her/whatever) fics, to
boot. And came back to life.

Which makes Oscar's fics hurt all the more.

>Look it up and see if you don't agree that this story deserves
>to be MSTed, if not completely erased from existance...

The only version(which is the so-called "new" version) I've been able to find
un-MiSTed is at A Sailor Moon Romance. The *original* version, AFAIK, is
nowhere to be found, unless by some streak of luck, someone finds it on
archive.org...

But I'm pretty sure that Megane 6.7's MiST is still up at SVAM...

OnsenMark

Apr 6, 2003, 6:35:35 PM4/6/03
In article <v8vagra...@corp.supernews.com>, Petrea Mitchell
<pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> writes:

>At Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:52:20 BST,
>Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> strode forth and proclaimed:
>
>> In article <v8sio5p...@corp.supernews.com>, Petrea Mitchell
>> <pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> wrote:
>
>>> Not when the source material is really, really bad
>>
>> The example mentioned so far is "Psychic Serpent" by Barbara Purdom,
>> one of the best-written (and longest) Harry Potter fanfics out there.
>
>That would be a bad choice, then. I have to say, I've skimmed a few HP
>fanfic archives looking for MSTable material, and I haven't yet found
>anything that was pathetic enough in the right ways.

There's no rule against riffing good material(look at the MiSTings of
"Undocumented Features" and "Neon Exodus Evangelion", for example), although it
generally doesn't happen all that often.

James Burbidge

Apr 6, 2003, 8:15:05 PM4/6/03
On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:52:20 BST, Tennant Stuart
<ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <v8sio5p...@corp.supernews.com>, Petrea Mitchell
><pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> wrote:
>
>> At Sat, 05 Apr 2003 00:23:56 BST,
>> Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> strode forth and proclaimed:

>>> That sounds a bit cruel.
>
>> Not when the source material is really, really bad
>
>The example mentioned so far is "Psychic Serpent" by Barbara Purdom,
>one of the best-written (and longest) Harry Potter fanfics out there.

The other classic set of fanfics which have been MSTed are the Marissa
Amber Flores Picard fics by Stephen Ratliff (these are ST:TNG fics).
These are not "bad" in the bad grammar sense. They're sort of
indescribable .. see http://svamcentral.org/svam/ms-mar.html for an
archive.
--
James Burbidge jamesandma...@sympatico.ca

Tennant Stuart

Apr 6, 2003, 4:05:12 PM4/6/03
In article <v8vad3p...@corp.supernews.com>,
Petrea Mitchell <pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> wrote:

> At Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:51:08 BST,
> Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> strode forth and proclaimed:

>> Well, I don't think that's right unless the victim gave prior permission.

> Most do. The core group of MSTers (the Dibs List, run through Web Site
> Number Nine) do *not* MST creative works without explicit permission--
> as the TV show this is all based on always had proper permission to air
> the movies they ripped apart.

And are victims guaranteed the chance to vet what has been done to their
hard work *before* the desecration is published?

>> Would you like it if your work was pulled apart like that?

> The key is to pick something so horrible that the reader feels
> absolutely no sympathy for the author. To get an idea of the movies
> used on the MST3K, you know _Plan 9 from Outer Space_, reputed to be
> the worst movie ever made? _Plan 9_ looks like an entertaining and
> meaningful creation with real production values compared to most of
> the MSTed movies.

So how come they're picking on the best quality fanfics?

Tennant Stuart

Apr 6, 2003, 4:06:36 PM4/6/03
In article <v8vagra...@corp.supernews.com>,
Petrea Mitchell <pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> wrote:

> At Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:52:20 BST,
> Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> strode forth and proclaimed:

>> In article <v8sio5p...@corp.supernews.com>, Petrea Mitchell
>> <pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> wrote:

>>> Not when the source material is really, really bad

>> The example mentioned so far is "Psychic Serpent" by Barbara Purdom,
>> one of the best-written (and longest) Harry Potter fanfics out there.

> That would be a bad choice, then. I have to say, I've skimmed a few HP
> fanfic archives looking for MSTable material, and I haven't yet found
> anything that was pathetic enough in the right ways.

Well, I've had a look at that now, and there is no explicit permission
given by Barbara Purdom actually in the sneering piece.

Tennant Stuart

Apr 6, 2003, 4:08:54 PM4/6/03

The example mentioned so far is "Psychic Serpent" by Barbara Purdom,

one of the best-written (and longest) Harry Potter fanfics out there.

> The problem is, I don't think you understand just how BAD the
> bad fan=fics are we're talking about, are. I don't know if
> you're familiar with anime, or Sailor Moon; but if so, you may
> be interested to know that one of the most frequently MSTed fan-
> fictioneers is a guy named Oscar who does lots of anime based
> fiction. Not only does Oscar have great difficulties using
> English in understandable ways ("Oscar putted on his tennis..."),
> but he also does characters from various shows completely out of
> character (imagine Harry acting like Malfoy), and shamelessly
> stokes his own ego by inserting himself into his stories and
> making himself the hero/irresistiable love interest/center of
> attention. His most widely attacked work is "Artemis' Lover",
> in which he depicts himself as the hermaphroditic human teenage
> lover of the sentient, talking white male cat from Sailor Moon.

> And no, I'm NOT kidding.

> Look it up and see if you don't agree that this story deserves
> to be MSTed, if not completely erased from existance...

It deserves to be either ignored or attract offers of help, not
to be sneered at. There is a review process for fanfics in which
offended readers can make their personal views known. Meanwhile
people would do better to recommend better fanfics to new fans.

>>> Some authors' MSTs even take on a life of their own. The
>>> interactions between the characters they are using to review
>>> the fan-fic can become so interesting and absorbing (with
>>> loves, hates, mutual respect and sympathy, etc, etc developing
>>> between them) that the MST is actually an interruption in
>>> the story, especially if the same characters are used over and
>>> over for a variety of MSTs.

>> Would you like it if your work was pulled apart like that?

> If I wrote bad fan-fics, I'd take my lumps like a man. In fact
> I might even use it to improve my writing.

> I HAVE done fan-fics, before; if anyone wants to MST them,
> you have my permission. Assuming you make sure I get a copy of
> the results. ^_^

I have written fanfics also, and anyone wanting to MST them most
certainly does not have my permission, and had better watch out.

Frank White

Apr 6, 2003, 10:54:44 PM4/6/03
In article <3e90c24a...@news1.sympatico.ca>,
jamesandma...@sympatico.ca says...

<snip>

>The other classic set of fanfics which have been MSTed are the Marissa
>Amber Flores Picard fics by Stephen Ratliff (these are ST:TNG fics).
>These are not "bad" in the bad grammar sense. They're sort of
>indescribable .. see http://svamcentral.org/svam/ms-mar.html for an
>archive.

ACKKKKKK!!!!! (Flashes back to the Marissa fan-fics, which had
been successfully forgotten until now.

Begins pounding head on desk to try to make them go away again.)

FW

Frank White

Apr 7, 2003, 12:04:25 AM4/7/03
In article <20030406183534...@mb-fs.aol.com>,
locu...@aol.combatrock says...

>In article <b6oa1f$1dof$4...@news.fsr.net>, fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank
>White) writes:
>
>>In article <na.778a864bde...@argonet.co.uk>,
>>ten...@argonet.co.uk says...

<snipastuff>

>Ah. But you forgot to mention the fact that in his/her/whatever's fics,
Oscar
>writes him/her/its/whatever-self up as a Super-Saiyajin.
>
>As in a *Dragonball Z* Super-Saiyajin.

I think he only did that once.

Still...

Once was MORE than enough. Especially since it was basically
just a throw away scene: He powered up, went off screen,
joined the Sailor Scouts in defeated the bad guys, then came
back and started doing snugglebunnies with Artemis again.

(The one of this stories that REALLY irritated me was when
he put himself in the Tiny Toons world and went through the
girls like he'd OD'ed on Viagra...)

>Oh, and s/he "died" in one("A Black Day, IIRC) of his(/her/whatever) fics,
>boot. And came back to life.

Blast.

>Which makes Oscar's fics hurt all the more.

I'm not sure Oscar's fics CAN hurt any more than they do.

>>Look it up and see if you don't agree that this story deserves
>>to be MSTed, if not completely erased from existance...
>
>The only version(which is the so-called "new" version) I've been able to
find
>un-MiSTed is at A Sailor Moon Romance. The *original* version, AFAIK, is
>nowhere to be found, unless by some streak of luck, someone finds it on
>archive.org...
>
>But I'm pretty sure that Megane 6.7's MiST is still up at SVAM...

It was, the last time I looked.

FW

OnsenMark

Apr 7, 2003, 6:30:46 PM4/7/03
In article <na.4806284bdf...@argonet.co.uk>, Tennant Stuart
<ten...@argonet.co.uk> writes:

>In article <v8vad3p...@corp.supernews.com>,
>Petrea Mitchell <pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> wrote:
>
>> At Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:51:08 BST,
>> Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> strode forth and proclaimed:
>
>>> Well, I don't think that's right unless the victim gave prior permission.
>
>> Most do. The core group of MSTers (the Dibs List, run through Web Site
>> Number Nine) do *not* MST creative works without explicit permission--
>> as the TV show this is all based on always had proper permission to air
>> the movies they ripped apart.
>
>And are victims guaranteed the chance to vet what has been done to their
>hard work *before* the desecration is published?

The authors usually do, if I remember right.

>>> Would you like it if your work was pulled apart like that?
>
>> The key is to pick something so horrible that the reader feels
>> absolutely no sympathy for the author. To get an idea of the movies
>> used on the MST3K, you know _Plan 9 from Outer Space_, reputed to be
>> the worst movie ever made? _Plan 9_ looks like an entertaining and
>> meaningful creation with real production values compared to most of
>> the MSTed movies.
>
>So how come they're picking on the best quality fanfics?

What, there's a rule written down someplace saying that a "Undocumented
Features" can't be riffed? Or a Chris Davies fic? Or any *other* piece of good
fanfiction?

Hey, I'm all for people MiSTing *good* fanfics if they so choose. Heck, I got
into "Daria" fan-fiction, because of a MiST of a "Daria" fic. Same with HP
fiction, although my collection of HP fiction is currently(and
admittedly)small... ^^;

OnsenMark

Apr 7, 2003, 6:30:48 PM4/7/03
In article <b6qtc9$p5p$7...@news.fsr.net>, fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank White)
writes:

>In article <20030406183534...@mb-fs.aol.com>,
>locu...@aol.combatrock says...
>>
>>In article <b6oa1f$1dof$4...@news.fsr.net>, fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank
>>White) writes:
>>
>>>In article <na.778a864bde...@argonet.co.uk>,
>>>ten...@argonet.co.uk says...
>
><snipastuff>
>
>>Ah. But you forgot to mention the fact that in his/her/whatever's fics,
>Oscar
>>writes him/her/its/whatever-self up as a Super-Saiyajin.
>>
>>As in a *Dragonball Z* Super-Saiyajin.
>
>I think he only did that once.
>
>Still...
>
>Once was MORE than enough. Especially since it was basically
>just a throw away scene: He powered up, went off screen,
>joined the Sailor Scouts in defeated the bad guys, then came
>back and started doing snugglebunnies with Artemis again.
>
>(The one of this stories that REALLY irritated me was when
>he put himself in the Tiny Toons world and went through the
>girls like he'd OD'ed on Viagra...)

And everyone thought Gonterman was bad for some of the stuff he put into SM:
AK. x.x

"Oscar Toon" might be the most *wrong* fic... Okay, maybe one of the five most
wrong. ^^;

>>Oh, and s/he "died" in one("A Black Day, IIRC) of his(/her/whatever) fics,
>>boot. And came back to life.
>
>Blast.

Everyone's sentiments exactly.

>>Which makes Oscar's fics hurt all the more.
>
>I'm not sure Oscar's fics CAN hurt any more than they do.

Unless he wrote more, which is highly unlikely, since s/he supposedly disavows
his/her/etc. earlier works now...

>>>Look it up and see if you don't agree that this story deserves
>>>to be MSTed, if not completely erased from existance...
>>
>>The only version(which is the so-called "new" version) I've been able to
>find
>>un-MiSTed is at A Sailor Moon Romance. The *original* version, AFAIK, is
>>nowhere to be found, unless by some streak of luck, someone finds it on
>>archive.org...
>>
>>But I'm pretty sure that Megane 6.7's MiST is still up at SVAM...
>
>It was, the last time I looked.

I'm almost certain it's up at Megane's site(A MiSTing For All Seasons -- I
don't remember the URL, though)...

OnsenMark

Apr 7, 2003, 6:30:43 PM4/7/03
In article <b6qp9k$p5p$1...@news.fsr.net>, fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank White)
writes:

>In article <3e90c24a...@news1.sympatico.ca>,

Ugh. Marissa Amber Flores Picard. XP

You realize, of course, that I'm going to have to read SotS until I dream of
Kaitlyn lopping off that twit Marissa's head now. x.x

Tennant Stuart

Apr 7, 2003, 6:51:41 PM4/7/03
jamesandma...@sympatico.ca (James Burbidge) wrote:

> The other classic set of fanfics which have been MSTed are the Marissa
> Amber Flores Picard fics by Stephen Ratliff (these are ST:TNG fics).
> These are not "bad" in the bad grammar sense. They're sort of
> indescribable ..

I've read published paperback books set in the Star Trek universe (lent
to me by a friend) and found them to be rather poor - certainly not as
good as the better HP fanfics, which came as a pleasant surprise to me.

James Burbidge

Apr 8, 2003, 8:26:16 PM4/8/03
On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 22:06:36 BST, Tennant Stuart
<ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <v8vagra...@corp.supernews.com>,
>Petrea Mitchell <pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> wrote:
>
>> At Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:52:20 BST,
>> Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> strode forth and proclaimed:

>>> The example mentioned so far is "Psychic Serpent" by Barbara Purdom,
>>> one of the best-written (and longest) Harry Potter fanfics out there.
>
>> That would be a bad choice, then. I have to say, I've skimmed a few HP
>> fanfic archives looking for MSTable material, and I haven't yet found
>> anything that was pathetic enough in the right ways.
>
>Well, I've had a look at that now, and there is no explicit permission
>given by Barbara Purdom actually in the sneering piece.

Tennat, the Psychic Serpent fanfic's original (and still mirror) home
is on the Psychic Serpent Mailing list. It has storage space on Yahoo
along with Barb's own postings, and the author posts regularly to the
Psychic Serpent Mailing list. Barb has definitely given permission
for the MSTing.

--
James Burbidge jamesandma...@sympatico.ca

Igenlode W.

Apr 8, 2003, 4:16:40 PM4/8/03
NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

On 6 Apr 2003 OnsenMark wrote:

> In article <v8vagra...@corp.supernews.com>, Petrea Mitchell
> <pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> writes:
>
> >I've skimmed a few HP
> >fanfic archives looking for MSTable material, and I haven't yet found
> >anything that was pathetic enough in the right ways.
>
> There's no rule against riffing good material(look at the MiSTings of
> "Undocumented Features" and "Neon Exodus Evangelion", for example),
> although it generally doesn't happen all that often.

The only MSTs I've seen (on alt.drwho.creative) have been of perfectly
good fan fiction, deliberately cut about to make it look silly
(truncating a character's words in the middle to create an non-existent
innuendo, for example) - and those were *with* the authors' permission.
I totally failed to see the appeal... or the humour. In fact, being
unacquainted with the American original, I had to have the whole thing
explained to me in words of one syllable.

It might be funnier, I suppose, with genuinely bad stories.
--
Igenlode Visit the Ivory Tower (http://curry.250x.com/Tower/)

* The old that is strong does not wither *

Tennant Stuart

Apr 8, 2003, 12:12:15 PM4/8/03
In article <20030407183046...@mb-fa.aol.com>,
locu...@aol.combatrock (OnsenMark) wrote:

> In article <na.4806284bdf...@argonet.co.uk>,
> Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> writes:

>> In article <v8vad3p...@corp.supernews.com>,
>> Petrea Mitchell <pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> wrote:

>>> At Sun, 06 Apr 2003 01:51:08 BST,
>>> Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> strode forth and proclaimed:

>>> Most do. The core group of MSTers (the Dibs List, run through Web Site
>>> Number Nine) do *not* MST creative works without explicit permission--
>>> as the TV show this is all based on always had proper permission to air
>>> the movies they ripped apart.

>> And are victims guaranteed the chance to vet what has been done to their
>> hard work *before* the desecration is published?

> The authors usually do, if I remember right.

Says you.

>>> The key is to pick something so horrible that the reader feels
>>> absolutely no sympathy for the author. To get an idea of the movies
>>> used on the MST3K, you know _Plan 9 from Outer Space_, reputed to be
>>> the worst movie ever made? _Plan 9_ looks like an entertaining and
>>> meaningful creation with real production values compared to most of
>>> the MSTed movies.

>> So how come they're picking on the best quality fanfics?

> What, there's a rule written down someplace saying that a "Undocumented
> Features" can't be riffed? Or a Chris Davies fic? Or any *other* piece
> of good fanfiction? Hey, I'm all for people MiSTing *good* fanfics if
> they so choose.

You are directly contradicting the excuses which Petrea Mitchell made.

Petrea Mitchell

Apr 8, 2003, 11:23:38 PM4/8/03
At Tue, 08 Apr 2003 18:12:15 BST,

Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> strode forth and proclaimed:

> In article <20030407183046...@mb-fa.aol.com>,
> locu...@aol.combatrock (OnsenMark) wrote:
>
>> In article <na.4806284bdf...@argonet.co.uk>,
>> Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> writes:

>>> And are victims guaranteed the chance to vet what has been done to their
>>> hard work *before* the desecration is published?
>
>> The authors usually do, if I remember right.
>
> Says you.

The author can ask before they even give permission for the desecration
to occur. I don't know how often that happens. No one ever asked me for
details when I asked permission-- heck, it's not uncommon for a really bad
fanfic to have a notice right on it saying it can be freely redistributed
as long as the copyright notice and author's contact info remain intact...

>> What, there's a rule written down someplace saying that a "Undocumented
>> Features" can't be riffed? Or a Chris Davies fic? Or any *other* piece
>> of good fanfiction? Hey, I'm all for people MiSTing *good* fanfics if
>> they so choose.
>
> You are directly contradicting the excuses which Petrea Mitchell made.

Well, I *don't* approve of MSTing stuff which is already good. My philo-
sophy of MSTing is that one is trying to make something enjoyable out of
something which is not. This was the philosophy of the show-- they never
did _Plan 9_, for instance, because it's already funny enough on its own.

--
/
Petrea Mitchell <|> <|> <pr...@m5p.com>

"I accept nothing from a man who imprisons his guests in a commode." -BA II
"May God call the tune, and may your enemies play the music." --Jewish curse

Petrea Mitchell

Apr 8, 2003, 11:26:10 PM4/8/03
At 7 Apr 2003 02:54:44 GMT,
Frank White <fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com> strode forth and proclaimed:

> ACKKKKKK!!!!! (Flashes back to the Marissa fan-fics, which had
> been successfully forgotten until now.
>
> Begins pounding head on desk to try to make them go away again.)

Oh, the memories... The directory where "Cadet Cruise" sat for over a month
between when I volunteered to take over the editing and when I summoned
up the courage to actually finish it... Scootch over, I need piece of
that desk too...

--
/
Petrea Mitchell <|> <|> <pr...@m5p.com>

OnsenMark

Apr 9, 2003, 6:33:08 PM4/9/03
In article <2003040901485...@gacracker.org>, "Igenlode W."
<Use-Author-Address-Header@[127.1]> writes:

That much is true. Some of the stuff being MiSTed(like Oscar, Gonterman)is
pretty damned terrible. Dr. Thinker's fics aren't bad, per se, but they're
riddled with typos nine times out of ten. ^^;

Tennant Stuart

Apr 11, 2003, 6:27:28 AM4/11/03
In article <v974hqb...@corp.supernews.com>, Petrea Mitchell
<pr...@parkstreet.m5p.com> wrote:

> At Tue, 08 Apr 2003 18:12:15 BST,
> Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> strode forth and proclaimed:

>> In article <20030407183046...@mb-fa.aol.com>,
>> locu...@aol.combatrock (OnsenMark) wrote:

>>> The authors usually do, if I remember right.

>> Says you.

> The author can ask before they even give permission for the desecration
> to occur. I don't know how often that happens. No one ever asked me for
> details when I asked permission-- heck, it's not uncommon for a really bad
> fanfic to have a notice right on it saying it can be freely redistributed
> as long as the copyright notice and author's contact info remain intact...

But you have no knowledge of what happened with other people.

>>> What, there's a rule written down someplace saying that a "Undocumented
>>> Features" can't be riffed? Or a Chris Davies fic? Or any *other* piece
>>> of good fanfiction? Hey, I'm all for people MiSTing *good* fanfics if
>>> they so choose.

>> You are directly contradicting the excuses which Petrea Mitchell made.

> Well, I *don't* approve of MSTing stuff which is already good. My philo-
> sophy of MSTing is that one is trying to make something enjoyable out of
> something which is not. This was the philosophy of the show-- they never
> did _Plan 9_, for instance, because it's already funny enough on its own.

I shall take your good intentions as read; but you cannot use them to
defend the practice, when other people such as Onsen Mark are gleefully
carrying out the bad practices which you claim are not happening.

Tennant Stuart

Apr 11, 2003, 6:28:30 AM4/11/03
In article <3e93682...@news1.sympatico.ca>,
jamesandma...@sympatico.ca (James Burbidge) wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 22:06:36 BST, Tennant Stuart
> <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>> I've had a look at that now, and there is no explicit permission
>> given by Barbara Purdom actually in the sneering piece.

> Tennat,

Tennant :)

> the Psychic Serpent fanfic's original (and still mirror) home
> is on the Psychic Serpent Mailing list. It has storage space on Yahoo
> along with Barb's own postings, and the author posts regularly to the
> Psychic Serpent Mailing list.

So?

> Barb has definitely given permission for the MSTing.

Please explain how you come to that conclusion.

OnsenMark

Apr 11, 2003, 6:33:02 PM4/11/03
In article <na.416fa24be1...@argonet.co.uk>, Tennant Stuart
<ten...@argonet.co.uk> writes:

I take offense at your statement. All I said was that I have nothing against
people MiSTing good fanfics if they so choose. *Your* statement, however,
implies that I MiST such fanfiction myself, which is an outright *lie*. I never
have MiSTed such fanfiction at this point, and I have no current plans to do
so.

I don't know where you get off saying such things, but I think you should
apologize for your statement.

James Burbidge

Apr 11, 2003, 8:59:26 PM4/11/03
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:28:30 BST, Tennant Stuart
<ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <3e93682...@news1.sympatico.ca>,
>jamesandma...@sympatico.ca (James Burbidge) wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 22:06:36 BST, Tennant Stuart
>> <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I've had a look at that now, and there is no explicit permission
>>> given by Barbara Purdom actually in the sneering piece.
>
>> Tennat,
>
>Tennant :)

Sorry, typo.

>> the Psychic Serpent fanfic's original (and still mirror) home
>> is on the Psychic Serpent Mailing list. It has storage space on Yahoo
>> along with Barb's own postings, and the author posts regularly to the
>> Psychic Serpent Mailing list.
>
>So?
>

>> Barb has definitely given permission for the MSTing.
>
>Please explain how you come to that conclusion.

About one minute after I posted this, I was looking at that day's PS
mailing list download, including one posting where Barb herself was
telling someone new to the list what the MST was.

She controls the PS list; she _owns_ it, and she's pretty proactive
about it on other matters. It actually goes rather beyond the usual
granting of permission, which is a one-time event; this is more of an
ongoing cooperation. For example (quote from one posting by Barb in
the last few days):

> For those who don't know, Teeny is a character in the MST version of
> Psychic Serpent. I think Keith's uni obligations are probably
> occupying him at the moment.

> --Barb

In addition, every reposting by the PS mailing list server also
includes the following as part of its sig: "Looking for Psychic
Serpent art or the MST of Harry Potter and the Psychic Serpent? Go to
the sister group and click on the art or MST links on the home page:

James Burbidge jamesandma...@sympatico.ca

Tennant Stuart

Apr 12, 2003, 11:22:10 AM4/12/03
In article <20030411183302...@mb-fr.aol.com>,
locu...@aol.combatrock (OnsenMark) wrote:

>> I shall take your good intentions as read; but you cannot use them to
>> defend the practice, when other people such as Onsen Mark are gleefully
>> carrying out the bad practices which you claim are not happening.

> I take offense at your statement. All I said was that I have nothing
> against people MiSTing good fanfics if they so choose. *Your* statement,
> however, implies that I MiST such fanfiction myself, which is an
> outright *lie*. I never have MiSTed such fanfiction at this point, and I
> have no current plans to do so.

Hah, I love the way you immediately take offense when someone *mistakenly*
says something adverse about you, yet you defend people who deliberately
offend others.

> I don't know where you get off saying such things, but I think you should
> apologize for your statement.

If you withdraw the unpleasant tone of your post accusing me of being a
liar and implying that I receive sexual satisfaction from talking about
you, then I shall consider a suitable expression of regret.

Tennant Stuart

Apr 12, 2003, 11:41:03 AM4/12/03
In article <3e9761b...@news1.sympatico.ca>,
jamesandma...@sympatico.ca (James Burbidge) wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:28:30 BST, Tennant Stuart
> <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>>> the Psychic Serpent fanfic's original (and still mirror) home
>>> is on the Psychic Serpent Mailing list. It has storage space on Yahoo
>>> along with Barb's own postings, and the author posts regularly to the
>>> Psychic Serpent Mailing list.

>> So?

>>> Barb has definitely given permission for the MSTing.

>> Please explain how you come to that conclusion.

> About one minute after I posted this <SNIP>

Okay James, but I still don't see how you came to that conclusion
based on "the Psychic Serpent fanfic's original (and still mirror)

home is on the Psychic Serpent Mailing list. It has storage space
on Yahoo along with Barb's own postings, and the author posts
regularly to the Psychic Serpent Mailing list."

OnsenMark

Apr 12, 2003, 6:32:52 PM4/12/03
In article <na.880c084be2...@argonet.co.uk>, Tennant Stuart
<ten...@argonet.co.uk> writes:

>In article <20030411183302...@mb-fr.aol.com>,
>locu...@aol.combatrock (OnsenMark) wrote:
>
>>> I shall take your good intentions as read; but you cannot use them to
>>> defend the practice, when other people such as Onsen Mark are gleefully
>>> carrying out the bad practices which you claim are not happening.
>
>> I take offense at your statement. All I said was that I have nothing
>> against people MiSTing good fanfics if they so choose. *Your* statement,
>> however, implies that I MiST such fanfiction myself, which is an
>> outright *lie*. I never have MiSTed such fanfiction at this point, and I
>> have no current plans to do so.
>
>Hah, I love the way you immediately take offense when someone *mistakenly*
>says something adverse about you, yet you defend people who deliberately
>offend others.

Who says I'm defending people?(Outside of yourself, anyway) I simply said that
people could MiST good fanfiction if they so wished. Said statement does not
neccessarily imply defense of those who do so. And if you have a problem with
those people who "deliberately offend others"(MiSTers?), then I kindly ask you
to maybe take your gripes to the SVAM bulletin board, or some such other place
where MiSTers gather to talk shop. I lay odds that they'll probably flame you
like there was no tomorrow.

>> I don't know where you get off saying such things, but I think you should
>> apologize for your statement.
>
>If you withdraw the unpleasant tone of your post accusing me of being a
>liar and implying that I receive sexual satisfaction from talking about
>you, then I shall consider a suitable expression of regret.

I withdraw the latter, if only because you misinterpreted slang. But my
accusation stands. You can say that it was "mistaken" all you like, but the
fact of the matter is that you're implying something that is a falsehood... you
know... A *LIE*?

I quote:

Where, in ANY of my previous posts in this thread, did I ever, EVER say that I
did that which you claim? *Nowhere*, that's where. Not an instance to speak of.

Therefore, sir, you are *lying*.

And you don't know me personally, so don't presume you do.

This conversation is *OVER*.

*plonk*

James Burbidge

Apr 12, 2003, 8:22:55 PM4/12/03
On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 17:41:03 BST, Tennant Stuart
<ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <3e9761b...@news1.sympatico.ca>,
>jamesandma...@sympatico.ca (James Burbidge) wrote:

>>> So?

>>> Please explain how you come to that conclusion.
>
>> About one minute after I posted this <SNIP>
>
>Okay James, but I still don't see how you came to that conclusion
>based on "the Psychic Serpent fanfic's original (and still mirror)
>home is on the Psychic Serpent Mailing list. It has storage space
>on Yahoo along with Barb's own postings, and the author posts
>regularly to the Psychic Serpent Mailing list."

Because Barb, as list-owner, controls the storage area. If she didn't
approve of it, it wouldn't be there. For that matter, if she didn't
approve of Keith, or the MSTing, he probably wouldn't be on the list,
either -- she's fairly forthright about booting posters who don't
conform to the list protocol (usually, I grant, in more obvious
matters of off-topicness or other issues).

--
James Burbidge jamesandma...@sympatico.ca

Tennant Stuart

Apr 13, 2003, 12:11:26 PM4/13/03
In article <20030412183252...@mb-cc.aol.com>,
locu...@aol.combatrock (OnsenMark) wrote:

> In article <na.880c084be2...@argonet.co.uk>,t
> Tennant Stuar <ten...@argonet.co.uk> writes:

>>> I take offense at your statement. All I said was that I have nothing
>>> against people MiSTing good fanfics if they so choose. *Your*
>>> statement, however, implies that I MiST such fanfiction myself, which
>>> is an outright *lie*. I never have MiSTed such fanfiction at this

>>> point, andI have no current plans to do so.

>> I love the way you immediately take offense when someone
>> *mistakenly* says something adverse about you, yet you defend people
>> who deliberately offend others.

> Who says I'm defending people?

>>> I don't know where you get off saying such things, but I think you

>>> should apologize for your statement.

>> If you withdraw the unpleasant tone of your post accusing me of being a
>> liar and implying that I receive sexual satisfaction from talking about
>> you, then I shall consider a suitable expression of regret.

> I withdraw the latter, if only because you misinterpreted slang. But my
> accusation stands. You can say that it was "mistaken" all you like, but
> the fact of the matter is that you're implying something that is a
> falsehood... you know... A *LIE*?

> I quote:

> Where, in ANY of my previous posts in this thread, did I ever, EVER say
> that I did that which you claim? *Nowhere*, that's where. Not an
> instance to speak of.

> Therefore, sir, you are *lying*.

> And you don't know me personally, so don't presume you do.

> This conversation is *OVER*.

> *plonk*

Hopefully you won't read this, but thankyou so much for killfiling me.

You are one less rude person to have to deal with.

Tennant Stuart

Apr 13, 2003, 12:12:38 PM4/13/03
In article <3e98ace...@news1.sympatico.ca>,
jamesandma...@sympatico.ca (James Burbidge) wrote:

Fair enough - it *appeared* you didn't say anything about a MSTer
being on Barb's list, you said just "author" 5 words after "Barb's"
without making it clear that you meant a different author.

OnsenMark

Apr 13, 2003, 6:54:34 PM4/13/03
>> *plonk*
>
>Hopefully you won't read this, but thankyou so much for killfiling me.
>
>You are one less rude person to have to deal with.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Fish Eye no Miko

Apr 13, 2003, 7:12:47 PM4/13/03
"James Burbidge" <jamesandma...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> The other classic set of fanfics which have been MSTed are
> the Marissa Amber Flores Picard fics by Stephen Ratliff
> (these are ST:TNG fics). These are not "bad" in the bad
> grammar sense.

Since when?

Catherine Johnson, who'd like to point out that Stephen Ratliff has been
seen now and then on ratmm, and is a really nice guy.
--
fenm at cox dot net
"Help! I'm being eaten by a quaint folk legend!"

James Burbidge

Apr 13, 2003, 8:40:22 PM4/13/03
On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:12:47 -0700, "Fish Eye no Miko"
<fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote:

>"James Burbidge" <jamesandma...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>
>> The other classic set of fanfics which have been MSTed are
>> the Marissa Amber Flores Picard fics by Stephen Ratliff
>> (these are ST:TNG fics). These are not "bad" in the bad
>> grammar sense.
>
>Since when?
>
>Catherine Johnson, who'd like to point out that Stephen Ratliff has been
>seen now and then on ratmm, and is a really nice guy.

Compared to the fics which were being held up as examples. Ratliff's
fics have loads of bad syntax from a stylistic point of view, and a
few real howlers, but if they were as impenetrably bad at grammar as
many of the MSTed "badfics" I've seen they wouldn't be nearly as
notorious as they are, because nobody could get through them. It's
like _Eye of Argon_ -- they need some ability to get basic meaning
across so that their ineffable, deeper badness can shine through
(minor things like characterization, plot, conversational patterns,
and so forth).

Ratliff seems to have taken the continued ribbing by the
{alt,rec}*mst3k.* groups gracefully, which speaks well for his basic
personality.
--
James Burbidge jamesandma...@sympatico.ca

Tennant Stuart

Apr 14, 2003, 2:08:19 PM4/14/03
In article <20030413185434...@mb-fb.aol.com>,
locu...@aol.combatrock (OnsenMark) wrote:

>>> *plonk*

>> Hopefully you won't read this, but thankyou so much for killfiling me.

>> You are one less rude person to have to deal with.

> Pot. Kettle. Black.

Hah, so you didn't killfile me after all.

Please do so Onsen, you know you want to.