Need advice I have a serious *crush* on Snape & Draco

Pawz

May 31, 2003, 1:44:42 AM5/31/03
Hi!
As you all already know, I'm a 15 year old girl...
I know this is going to sound a bit embarrassing but, I have a serious
crush on Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy...

I just *love* Snape's voice. And Draco's too. It sounds so, sharp and
it has that edge to it. It kind of reminds me of Jeremy Irons...(I
have a bit of crush on him too) As soon as I hear their voices, it
makes my heart skip a beat.

I think Jeremy Irons would be a great actor to play Voldemort for GoF
movie.

But that's just what I think...

Yeah I know Snape and Draco are book characters and they don't
actually exist but, I really *like* the actors who play the
characters, (Alan Rickman and Tom Felton). I think they are great
actors! They just bring the characters to life.
I'm very impressed with them.
I know the actor who plays Snape is a lot older then me but Draco (Tom
Felton) is around my age.

So...

Does anyone know of any Severus Snape (Alan Rickman) fan websites?
And does anyone know of any Draco (Tom Felton) fan websites out there?
So maybe I could send them some fan mail?

Maybe with pictures of them on the websites? Sometimes it's hard to
find on the web.(NOT rude ones, please).

Thanks.

From Pawz

theGreyLady

May 31, 2003, 6:39:37 AM5/31/03

"Pawz" <paw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi!
> As you all already know, I'm a 15 year old girl...
> I know this is going to sound a bit embarrassing but, I have a serious
> crush on Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy...
<snip>

> Yeah I know Snape and Draco are book characters and they don't
> actually exist but, I really *like* the actors who play the
> characters, (Alan Rickman and Tom Felton). I think they are great
> actors! They just bring the characters to life.
> I'm very impressed with them.

but why oh why do u like the chars snape and draco just cos u like alan
rickman and tom feltom the actors?! there r 2 totally separate
personalities. snape and draco are MEAN. u must not like them. they are
harry's foe. harry is our hero? ok??

> I know the actor who plays Snape is a lot older then me but Draco (Tom
> Felton) is around my age.

i think tom's a good few years younger than you...

> Does anyone know of any Severus Snape (Alan Rickman) fan websites?
> And does anyone know of any Draco (Tom Felton) fan websites out there?
> So maybe I could send them some fan mail?

i'm sure google.com will have lots of answers for u..

--
Jane Grey
-----------

http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1243973

hansaplatz

May 31, 2003, 7:54:03 AM5/31/03

<<<snip>>>>

> but why oh why do u like the chars snape and draco just cos u like alan
> rickman and tom feltom the actors?! there r 2 totally separate
> personalities. snape and draco are MEAN. u must not like them. they are
> harry's foe. harry is our hero? ok??

but the baddies in series' always have followings. i mean, theres all that
angsty past to snape.
he made mistakes sure (we don't entirely know all about them yet)
but snape's not the antihero and some people might just like the more
complex characters i.e. draco and snape. we just know so little of why they
are mean. everything is just presumed. nice to have the mystery

but like you say jane grey, the actors and liking the actors is different
from the characters themselves.

though snape with rickmans voice is good and i can't not think of his voice
as snape's own now.

> > I know the actor who plays Snape is a lot older then me but Draco (Tom
> > Felton) is around my age.
>
> i think tom's a good few years younger than you...

just checked. alanrickman was born in 1946 so he's now 57 (quite alot older
then) and tom felton appears to be 15 now by his official site (and nearing
16, is in september).

> > Does anyone know of any Severus Snape (Alan Rickman) fan websites?
> > And does anyone know of any Draco (Tom Felton) fan websites out there?
> > So maybe I could send them some fan mail?

for tom felton
http://www.tomfelton.com/
http://www.tomfeltonuk.cjb.net/
http://www.mugglenet.com/tomfelton.shtml

alan rickman
http://pages.prodigy.net/emeraldegg/
http://www.cybamuse.com/movieThemes/actors/arickman/
http://freespace.virgin.net/sc.i/Claire.htm
http://members.tripod.com/beafores/page1.html

i know i didn't have to look those up but i like to be helpful. : )

hansaplatz

Fish Eye no Miko

May 31, 2003, 9:27:21 AM5/31/03
"theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Pawz" <paw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Yeah I know Snape and Draco are book characters and they
> > don't actually exist but, I really *like* the actors who play the
> > characters, (Alan Rickman and Tom Felton). I think they are
> > great actors! They just bring the characters to life.
> > I'm very impressed with them.
>
> but why oh why do u like the chars snape and draco just cos u
> like alan rickman and tom feltom the actors?! there r 2 totally
> separate personalities. snape and draco are MEAN. u must not
> like them.

Why not?

> they are harry's foe.

Snape isn't; not really.

> harry is our hero? ok??

I think she knows that. But... seriously, villains can be very attractive.
Some of my favorite characters are villains.

> > I know the actor who plays Snape is a lot older then me but
> > Draco (Tom Felton) is around my age.
>
> i think tom's a good few years younger than you...

Nope, he's actually a year older.

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net
"I dance like Angel sings!"

Shadow

May 31, 2003, 9:51:29 AM5/31/03

"Pawz" <paw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
> As you all already know, I'm a 15 year old girl...
> I know this is going to sound a bit embarrassing but, I have a serious
> crush on Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy...
> I just *love* Snape's voice. And Draco's too. It sounds so, sharp and
> it has that edge to it. It kind of reminds me of Jeremy Irons...(I
> have a bit of crush on him too) As soon as I hear their voices, it
> makes my heart skip a beat.

I didn't know books could talk. You must be referring to Alan Rickman and
Tom Felton.

> I think Jeremy Irons would be a great actor to play Voldemort for GoF
> movie.

You and the rest of the free world.

> But that's just what I think...

You actually think?

> Yeah I know Snape and Draco are book characters and they don't
> actually exist but, I really *like* the actors who play the
> characters, (Alan Rickman and Tom Felton).

Ah, I see my suspicions were correct.

> I think they are great
> actors! They just bring the characters to life.

That would be their job, yes.

> I'm very impressed with them.

So you've said.

> I know the actor who plays Snape is a lot older then me but Draco (Tom
> Felton) is around my age.

...and would never give you the time of day.

> So...

Oh, don't keep us in suspense...

> Does anyone know of any Severus Snape (Alan Rickman) fan websites?

This newsgroup isn't your personal search engine. Go do a Google search and
STFU.

> And does anyone know of any Draco (Tom Felton) fan websites out there?

Ibid.

> So maybe I could send them some fan mail?

Oh you'd LIKE that, wouldn't you...

> Maybe with pictures of them on the websites? Sometimes it's hard to
> find on the web.(NOT rude ones, please).

Okay, then do a damned google IMAGE search. Sheesh....

> Thanks.

You're quite welcome.

Imbecile...

theGreyLady

May 31, 2003, 10:09:47 AM5/31/03

"Shadow" <NOgryffindo...@attbi.com> wrote in message

ok i think we should give shadow goblin status (not quite troll but just as
ugly)

theGreyLady

May 31, 2003, 10:28:26 AM5/31/03
"hansaplatz" <han...@dg-s.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

<snip>

> but the baddies in series' always have followings. i mean, theres all that
> angsty past to snape.
> he made mistakes sure (we don't entirely know all about them yet)
> but snape's not the antihero and some people might just like the more
> complex characters i.e. draco and snape. we just know so little of why
they
> are mean. everything is just presumed. nice to have the mystery

i s'pose they do provide mystery and i think the characters provide
essential roles to the potterverse but i just don't get why ppl get
"crushes" on snape. yes alan rickman's snape i get but the real canon snape
is a lot uglier than alan rickman can ever play him cos alan has nice skin
and no crooked nose...but i guess ppl don't separate the movie ones to the
books ones...i just see snape as bitter and vindictive cos really that is
how rowling presents him...

> though snape with rickmans voice is good and i can't not think of his
voice
> as snape's own now.

oh well, when i read the books i still hear the snape mean crass voice i
heard before the films came out (i think rickman's snape voice is way too
whispery and sexy-ish to be snape as JKR wrote it!)

> > > I know the actor who plays Snape is a lot older then me but Draco (Tom
> > > Felton) is around my age.
> >
> > i think tom's a good few years younger than you...
> >

> just checked. alanrickman was born in 1946 so he's now 57 (quite alot
older
> then) and tom felton appears to be 15 now by his official site (and
nearing
> 16, is in september).

ah, i must have been thinking of his age when the 1st movie came out....i
forget actors get older too :)

Earwax

May 31, 2003, 10:56:11 AM5/31/03
On Sat, 31 May 2003 15:28:26 +0100, "theGreyLady"
<the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>i s'pose they do provide mystery and i think the characters provide
>essential roles to the potterverse but i just don't get why ppl get
>"crushes" on snape. yes alan rickman's snape i get but the real canon snape
>is a lot uglier than alan rickman can ever play him cos alan has nice skin
>and no crooked nose...but i guess ppl don't separate the movie ones to the
>books ones...i just see snape as bitter and vindictive cos really that is
>how rowling presents him...

Hey, hey! Finally someone else who agrees with me that Rickman is too
cool to be true to the book's image of Snape!

>> though snape with rickmans voice is good and i can't not think of his
>voice
>> as snape's own now.
>
>oh well, when i read the books i still hear the snape mean crass voice i
>heard before the films came out (i think rickman's snape voice is way too
>whispery and sexy-ish to be snape as JKR wrote it!)

Before seeing the movies, I imagined Snape to be a black-haired,
clean-shaven version of Filch (as Filch is portrayed in the movies).

theGreyLady

May 31, 2003, 11:07:23 AM5/31/03

"Earwax" <Ear...@hogwarts.sch.uk> wrote in message
yeah, me thinks the movies have stolen the impressonable kiddies'
imaginations, ah well

hansaplatz

May 31, 2003, 12:17:55 PM5/31/03

"<<snip>>>

> i s'pose they do provide mystery and i think the characters provide
> essential roles to the potterverse but i just don't get why ppl get
> "crushes" on snape. yes alan rickman's snape i get but the real canon
snape
> is a lot uglier than alan rickman can ever play him cos alan has nice skin
> and no crooked nose...but i guess ppl don't separate the movie ones to the
> books ones...i just see snape as bitter and vindictive cos really that is
> how rowling presents him...

i guess the crushes must just be on the actors along with the idea, not
simply the characters in the books.
though i have to say i imagined snape better in the books than he appears
onscreen (yes, despite greasy hair and crooked nose)

> > though snape with rickmans voice is good and i can't not think of his
> voice
> > as snape's own now.
>
> oh well, when i read the books i still hear the snape mean crass voice i
> heard before the films came out (i think rickman's snape voice is way too
> whispery and sexy-ish to be snape as JKR wrote it!)

i never thought about his voice reading the books, but now i hear rickmans.
i guess because it carries the sarcasm etc sooo well in my opinion. no one
else alive could do such a chilling rendition of snape's insults and sly
humour. i'd probably like to hear people try though.

hansaplatz

hansaplatz

May 31, 2003, 12:22:14 PM5/31/03

"Shadow" <NOgryffindo...@attbi.com> wrote in message

shadow, were you doing your snape impression there?

the sarcasm at least seems oh so fitting but perhaps its just this post,
minds stuck on snape etc and just your choice of words makes it sound like
it could be.

hansaplatz

theGreyLady

May 31, 2003, 12:34:46 PM5/31/03

> "<<snip>>>
> >
> > i s'pose they do provide mystery and i think the characters provide
> > essential roles to the potterverse but i just don't get why ppl get
> > "crushes" on snape. yes alan rickman's snape i get but the real canon
> snape
> > is a lot uglier than alan rickman can ever play him cos alan has nice
skin
> > and no crooked nose...but i guess ppl don't separate the movie ones to
the
> > books ones...i just see snape as bitter and vindictive cos really that
is
> > how rowling presents him...
> >

> i guess the crushes must just be on the actors along with the idea, not
> simply the characters in the books.
> though i have to say i imagined snape better in the books than he appears
> onscreen (yes, despite greasy hair and crooked nose)

really?!!! but rickman's snape is pretty cool! u imagined a /cooler/
snape?!. hmmm, i guess that's the thing about rowling's writings - she kinda
leaves a lot to interpretation....almost as if she knew they'd be millions
of ppl wanting to discuss it endlessly...

> > > though snape with rickmans voice is good and i can't not think of his
> > voice
> > > as snape's own now.
> >
> > oh well, when i read the books i still hear the snape mean crass voice i
> > heard before the films came out (i think rickman's snape voice is way
too
> > whispery and sexy-ish to be snape as JKR wrote it!)
> >

> i never thought about his voice reading the books, but now i hear
rickmans.
> i guess because it carries the sarcasm etc sooo well in my opinion. no one
> else alive could do such a chilling rendition of snape's insults and sly
> humour. i'd probably like to hear people try though.

i think rickman does snape in a sorta cool sarcastic way whereas i imagined
a kinda vindictive, just plain mean sarcasm....

> hansaplatz

hansaplatz

May 31, 2003, 1:14:15 PM5/31/03

<<snip>>

> > i guess the crushes must just be on the actors along with the idea, not
> > simply the characters in the books.
> > though i have to say i imagined snape better in the books than he
appears
> > onscreen (yes, despite greasy hair and crooked nose)
>
> really?!!! but rickman's snape is pretty cool! u imagined a /cooler/
> snape?!. hmmm, i guess that's the thing about rowling's writings - she
kinda
> leaves a lot to interpretation....almost as if she knew they'd be millions
> of ppl wanting to discuss it endlessly...

i gues you could describe my one as cooler. but in my head snape is bitter
and sarcastic. i never think of him as not being mean, sometimes though it
seems he isn't always saying things for cruelty alone (the example of his
'criticism' of neville in the CoS dueling).
its just that in my head, appearances are less important. i'm thinking of
him as honourable, mannered - with the swishing of robes and suddenly almost
gracefully appearing behind people.

not to mention sarcasm is sort of designed for two purposes, hurting people
and looking good about it, a clever way (though no less mean, more so 'd
say). that kind of fits with rickmans cool way of doing snape.

he's still that greasy git and he's still more than somewhat vindictive but
i leave room for other reasons and other qualities we don't see in him yet.
but i guess my version does sound cooler (and therefore out of the character
you think of him as)

but all thats the beauty of books. whereas film you all see the same thing.

hansaplatz

theGreyLady

May 31, 2003, 2:38:47 PM5/31/03

> <<snip>>
> > > i guess the crushes must just be on the actors along with the idea,
not
> > > simply the characters in the books.
> > > though i have to say i imagined snape better in the books than he
> appears
> > > onscreen (yes, despite greasy hair and crooked nose)
> >
> > really?!!! but rickman's snape is pretty cool! u imagined a /cooler/
> > snape?!. hmmm, i guess that's the thing about rowling's writings - she
> kinda
> > leaves a lot to interpretation....almost as if she knew they'd be
millions
> > of ppl wanting to discuss it endlessly...
> >

> i gues you could describe my one as cooler. but in my head snape is bitter
> and sarcastic. i never think of him as not being mean, sometimes though it
> seems he isn't always saying things for cruelty alone (the example of his
> 'criticism' of neville in the CoS dueling).

well i think some of the things he's said to hermione are just pointless
except to be cruel...like the insufferable know it all comment and saying
that he didin't see an difference when draco's hex hit hermione and her
teeth were elongating....IMO there was no clever sarcasm about it; just
plain
mean-ness, know?

<snip>

> but all thats the beauty of books. whereas film you all see the same
thing.

very true :) is why i prefer books!

Dragon Friend

May 31, 2003, 3:00:14 PM5/31/03
"theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
Pawz is a troll on this newsgroup, and sometimes uses a sockpuppet called
Spiffy so perhaps before you lay into Shadow you should see how other
regulars have treated the post :-) You and hansaplatz are the only one to
take the post seriously :-) So I think given the trouble Pawz and its other
id's have caused on the group you may want to apologise to Shadow :-)

Dragon Friend [GreyLady asked who the trolls were I am telling her :-) ]
--
"Humanity... so noble, always willing to sacrifice... the other fellow." ~~
Max von Sydow in NEEDFUL THINGS. "...perhaps all the dragons of our lives

Grand Poobah

May 31, 2003, 3:01:38 PM5/31/03
"Shadow" <NOgryffindo...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Troll or not, I didn't see any reason to be quite so mean to Pawz for her
last post. After all, it generated quite an interesting discussion, and I
shouldn't imagine she's alone in liking characters because of the actors who
portray them, by any means.

GP

theGreyLady

May 31, 2003, 3:31:54 PM5/31/03

"Dragon Friend" <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> wrote in message

> "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Shadow" <NOgryffindo...@attbi.com> the geek wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Pawz" <paw...@yahoo.com> the troll wrote in message

<snip snip snip>

> > ok i think we should give shadow goblin status (not quite troll but just
> as
> > ugly)
> >
> Pawz is a troll on this newsgroup, and sometimes uses a sockpuppet called
> Spiffy so perhaps before you lay into Shadow you should see how other

oh i didn't realise Pawz has caused trouble in the past, this post seemed
legit enough....

> regulars have treated the post :-) You and hansaplatz are the only one to
> take the post seriously :-) So I think given the trouble Pawz and its
other

So how come Catherine Johnson and Earwax seemed to have replied to it too
and i get the impression that at least CJ is a regular? I'm just curuois - r
they newbies too?

> id's have caused on the group you may want to apologise to Shadow :-)

as for Shadow an apology will be pointless cos he's kilfiled me!
so i can say what i like about him and he'll be none the wiser! heh....

> Dragon Friend [GreyLady asked who the trolls were I am telling her :-) ]

thanks for the warning then...

theGreyLady

May 31, 2003, 3:37:53 PM5/31/03

"Grand Poobah" <do...@rainbowsparkle.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Shadow" <NOgryffindo...@attbi.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Pawz" <paw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

<snipped Shadow's mean comments>

> Troll or not, I didn't see any reason to be quite so mean to Pawz for her
> last post. After all, it generated quite an interesting discussion, and I
> shouldn't imagine she's alone in liking characters because of the actors
who
> portray them, by any means.
>
> GP

well cos i'm new i don't know just how much trouble Pawz has caused in the
past but Shadow's post just struck me as being particularly mean ...
and yes i agree her post did generate an interesting discussion and so i
don't think she was out to cause trouble with this one.
and whatever happened to forgive and forget? and how about live and let
live?

Fish Eye no Miko

May 31, 2003, 4:12:44 PM5/31/03

> "Dragon Friend" <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> wrote:
>
> > perhaps before you lay into Shadow you should see how

> > other regulars have treated the post :-) You and hansaplatz

> > are the only one to take the post seriously :-)
>

> So how come Catherine Johnson and Earwax seemed to have replied
> to it too

I didn't reply to Pawz, I replied to you. There's a difference.

Earwax

May 31, 2003, 4:27:27 PM5/31/03
On Sat, 31 May 2003 20:31:54 +0100, "theGreyLady"
<the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> regulars have treated the post :-) You and hansaplatz are the only one to
>> take the post seriously :-) So I think given the trouble Pawz and its
>other
>
>So how come Catherine Johnson and Earwax seemed to have replied to it too
>and i get the impression that at least CJ is a regular? I'm just curuois - r
>they newbies too?

I was replying to your post, I don't have anything to say in response
to Paws' original point. I don't think she understood anything I said
to her the last few times that she posted, so why should I bother
replying now?

And I think you may be right about Shadow and the goblin thing. He
can be interesting sometimes, but sometimes he's just rude.

John VanSickle

May 31, 2003, 4:29:27 PM5/31/03
Pawz wrote:

> Hi!
> As you all already know, I'm a 15 year old girl...
Which will come as a surprise for those who though I was eight.

> I know this is going to sound a bit embarrassing but, I have a serious
psychosis, which causes me to daydream of pouring an ice-cold Orange

> crush on Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy...
>
> I just *love* Snape's voice. And Draco's too. It sounds so, sharp and
nasally, like a Frenchman with a cold. And that sneer of theirs, well

> it has that edge to it. It kind of reminds me of Jeremy Irons...(I
think), because I have some cousins who like being in irons (they

>have a bit of crush on him too) As soon as I hear their voices, it
causes my brain signals to get crossed, which gives me acid reflux and

> makes my heart skip a beat.
>
> I think Jeremy Irons would be a great actor to play Voldemort for GoF
or maybe Bowling for Dollars, which I think would make a really cool

> movie.
>
> But that's just what I think...
>
> Yeah I know Snape and Draco are book characters and they don't
have any redeeming qualities; I know my chances for making sense don't

> actually exist but, I really *like* the actors who play the
ponies with their grandmother's pension checks. They're real

> characters, (Alan Rickman and Tom Felton). I think they are great
substitutes for a real life. Instead of boys I know, I'll pine after

> actors! They just bring the characters to life.
And I hope they can do the same for my brain cells.

> I'm very impressed with them.
I was also impressed by the British Nacy, and was a cabin girl.

> I know the actor who plays Snape is a lot older then me but Draco (Tom
Tom the Piper's Son, Stole a Pig and away He Run to some town called

> Felton) is around my age.
>
> So...
>
> Does anyone know of any Severus Snape (Alan Rickman) fan websites?
Or any Richard Nixon fan websites? Any places to get Orange Crush?

> And does anyone know of any Draco (Tom Felton) fan websites out there?
I'd like to hack into them in the faint hope of giving them a real life.

> So maybe I could send them some fan mail?
Or a bill for the bibs I need for all my drooling?

> Maybe with pictures of them on the websites? Sometimes it's hard to
read, write, or reason coherently, but myabe there's some tips I can

> find on the web.(NOT rude ones, please).
>
> Thanks.
>
> From Pawz

No problem.

Regards,
John

theGreyLady

May 31, 2003, 5:12:37 PM5/31/03

"Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message

> "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
> > "Dragon Friend" <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > perhaps before you lay into Shadow you should see how
> > > other regulars have treated the post :-) You and hansaplatz
> > > are the only one to take the post seriously :-)
> >
> > So how come Catherine Johnson and Earwax seemed to have replied
> > to it too
>
> I didn't reply to Pawz, I replied to you. There's a difference.

yes i realise in hindsight u didn't address Pawz post whatsoever. So what
did she do to get everyone's goat so bad?
i wanna know! i hate being the newbie...in the dark about this sort of
stuff....i think there should be a FAQ page about past trolls detailing what
they have done..

hansaplatz

May 31, 2003, 5:11:51 PM5/31/03

<<snip>>

> well i think some of the things he's said to hermione are just pointless
> except to be cruel...like the insufferable know it all comment and saying
> that he didin't see an difference when draco's hex hit hermione and her
> teeth were elongating....IMO there was no clever sarcasm about it; just
> plain
> mean-ness, know?

yeah, those are just mean. but sometime si think he does say things with
hidden meaning. like he wants people to prove him wrong. i can only think
of that one example in CoS where snape is indirectly complimenting neville.
but i think snape's not 100% mean and viscious, just 99%.

as for clevernes to sarcasm, i was thinking thats why rickmans rendition
comes off as cooler, because he has the advantage of delivery onscreen, the
tone that sets it as real. of course clever or not, its still gonna be mean.
yeah.

hansaplatz

theGreyLady

May 31, 2003, 5:17:36 PM5/31/03

"Earwax" <Ear...@hogwarts.sch.uk> wrote in message

yes i was quite astonised as the new levels of rudness Shadow seems to have
mastered with that response...but if Pawz has cuased as much trouble as it
seems by all you guys' reactions then I guess it doesn't seem as bad....I
just took Pawz side cos I didn't know she had troll status and Shadow
kilfiled me on like my 3rd ever posting(and i haven't really any idea why)
and so came across quite rude....

theGreyLady

May 31, 2003, 5:19:14 PM5/31/03

"John VanSickle" <evilsna...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<i went crazy with me scissors>

what's a " WackyLace today"?

Earwax

May 31, 2003, 5:17:57 PM5/31/03
On Sat, 31 May 2003 22:12:37 +0100, "theGreyLady"
<the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>yes i realise in hindsight u didn't address Pawz post whatsoever. So what
>did she do to get everyone's goat so bad?
>i wanna know! i hate being the newbie...in the dark about this sort of
>stuff....i think there should be a FAQ page about past trolls detailing what
>they have done..
>
>--
>Jane Grey

Oh, going over all of that would be like picking at an old wound
that's better left alone to heal.

If you really want to know, you can search through Google groups and
find some of her old posts and replies.

Kish

May 31, 2003, 5:22:50 PM5/31/03
theGreyLady wrote:
> "Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message
>
>>"theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>>>So how come Catherine Johnson and Earwax seemed to have replied
>>>to it too
>>
>>I didn't reply to Pawz, I replied to you. There's a difference.
>>

> yes i realise in hindsight u didn't address Pawz post whatsoever. So what
> did she do to get everyone's goat so bad?

Posted some weird theories. One was that Draco is actually in love with
Hermione. Some people pointed out, with varying degrees of politeness,
that her theories were unlikely. She provided support...in the form of
passages she had read w/no comprehension. Some people tried to explain
to her (w/varying degrees of politeness, again) that Draco saying he
wants to help the Heir of Slytherin kill all the Mudbloods doesn't
secretly mean he wants to be best friends with Harry and Ron, or that
he's in love with Hermione. Pawz responded and showed no more
comprehension of the replies than she did of the books. Somewhere in
there, Pawz called everyone who disagreed with her azzholes (sic), then
apologized and demanded an apology from everyone who had insulted her.
She got more flames. Then she created a sock puppet named Spiffy, who
appealed to the newsgroup to cut Pawz some slack.

For my part, I don't address Pawz because I'm sure she wouldn't
understand it if I did. I don't blame her--I suspect she may actually
have a severe reading disability--but there's nothing I can do for her here.

Kish

May 31, 2003, 5:35:08 PM5/31/03
theGreyLady wrote:
> "John VanSickle" <evilsna...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <i went crazy with me scissors>
>
> what's a " WackyLace today"?

Wackylacing is splitting apart the lines of a message, and inserting new
lines that change the message into something absurd or grotesque. It
can be done in a friendly or unfriendly way.

theGreyLady

May 31, 2003, 5:49:45 PM5/31/03

"Kish" <Kis...@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> theGreyLady wrote:

> Posted some weird theories. One was that Draco is actually in love with
> Hermione. Some people pointed out, with varying degrees of politeness,

oh a Draco/Hermione shipper, sigh.

> that her theories were unlikely. She provided support...in the form of
> passages she had read w/no comprehension. Some people tried to explain
> to her (w/varying degrees of politeness, again) that Draco saying he
> wants to help the Heir of Slytherin kill all the Mudbloods doesn't
> secretly mean he wants to be best friends with Harry and Ron, or that
> he's in love with Hermione. Pawz responded and showed no more
> comprehension of the replies than she did of the books. Somewhere in

yes i can see why that would tick ppl off.

> there, Pawz called everyone who disagreed with her azzholes (sic), then
> apologized and demanded an apology from everyone who had insulted her.
> She got more flames.

grin.

>Then she created a sock puppet named Spiffy, who
> appealed to the newsgroup to cut Pawz some slack.

yes i think i rememeber some of those posts in my lurking days, they were
titled pawz=spiffy right? but i diidn't understand it at the time so i just
ignored it. i guess it all makes sense now!

> For my part, I don't address Pawz because I'm sure she wouldn't
> understand it if I did. I don't blame her--I suspect she may actually
> have a severe reading disability--but there's nothing I can do for her
here.

heh. well thanks for taking the time out to explain it to me. :)
--
Jane Grey

theGreyLady

May 31, 2003, 5:53:43 PM5/31/03

"Kish" <Kis...@pacbell.net> wrote in message
sorry you're having to explain lots of stuff to me today. I'm new to
newgruops and not too sure about alot of stuff that i haven't picked up from
the faq..

--
Jane Grey

Fish Eye no Miko

May 31, 2003, 7:38:43 PM5/31/03

> "Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote:

> > > So how come Catherine Johnson and Earwax seemed to have
> > > replied to it too
> >
> > I didn't reply to Pawz, I replied to you. There's a difference.
>
> yes i realise in hindsight u didn't address Pawz post whatsoever.

Ok.

> So what did she do to get everyone's goat so bad?

Kish replied to this quite well, and you saw that, so I'll leave it there.
^_^

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net

"The Pony Express--when it absolutely, positively has to be there in three
or four months or so."
-Tom Servo, _Mystery Science Theater 3000_.

Tennant Stuart

May 31, 2003, 6:37:08 PM5/31/03
In article <6ce2e42f.03053...@posting.google.com>,
paw...@yahoo.com (Pawz) wrote:

> Hi!

Hi, Spiffy!

> As you all already know, I'm a 15 year old girl...

Actually, we all know that you are *NOT* a 15 year old girl.

Tennant Stuart

--
____ ____ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ ____
(_ _)( ___)( \( )( \( ) /__\ ( \( )(_ _) Greetings to family

Myk

May 30, 2003, 10:18:50 PM5/30/03
> but the baddies in series' always have followings. i mean, theres all that
> angsty past to snape.
> he made mistakes sure (we don't entirely know all about them yet)
> but snape's not the antihero and some people might just like the more
> complex characters i.e. draco and snape. we just know so little of why
they
> are mean. everything is just presumed. nice to have the mystery
>
> but like you say jane grey, the actors and liking the actors is different
> from the characters themselves.

> though snape with rickmans voice is good and i can't not think of his
voice
> as snape's own now.

Just to add my own little bit to this discussion - I always imagined Snape
as Alan Rickman, long before the casting for the movie was announced. I had
always assumed that JKR had certain people in mind when conceiving her
characters, and that she was thinking very hard about Alan Rickman when she
thought up Snape, simliarly with Hagrid / Robbie Coltrane.
If someone had come up to me right after I'd finished reading the books for
the first time and asked me who would play each character in a movie, I
would have picked out those two (Rickman, Coltrane) instantly.. I can't
remember who I was thinking of for many of the other characters - the movies
have blurred my memories of my first perceptions a bit - but I was
definately very clear on the Rickman as Snape idea..

I don't know how well these thoughts will go down here in the NG, but many
of my friends that I have spoken to on the issue have agreed with me - it
seems that the general opinoin here goes a different way?

Myk

(who also correctly guessed Gary Oldman as Sirius and Timothy Spall as
Pettigrew..)

Pawz

Jun 1, 2003, 1:05:30 AM6/1/03
Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<na.9d6e314bfb...@argonet.co.uk>...

> In article <6ce2e42f.03053...@posting.google.com>,
> paw...@yahoo.com (Pawz) wrote:
>
> > Hi!
>
> Hi, Spiffy!
>

> > As you all already know, I'm a 15 year old girl...
>
> Actually, we all know that you are *NOT* a 15 year old girl.
>

> Tennant Stuart

Actually for your infomation, you have no idea what age I am.

The truth is, I am for once being honest about my age. I am 15 years
old, and i'm very close in age with Tom Felton. I am for once being
honest, I have a crush on him.

Pawz

Jun 1, 2003, 1:13:19 AM6/1/03
"hansaplatz" <han...@dg-s.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<bba54i$dr1$1...@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> <<<snip>>>>
> > but why oh why do u like the chars snape and draco just cos u like alan
> > rickman and tom feltom the actors?! there r 2 totally separate
> > personalities. snape and draco are MEAN. u must not like them. they are
> > harry's foe. harry is our hero? ok??

> but the baddies in series' always have followings. i mean, theres all that
> angsty past to snape.
> he made mistakes sure (we don't entirely know all about them yet)
> but snape's not the antihero and some people might just like the more
> complex characters i.e. draco and snape. we just know so little of why they
> are mean. everything is just presumed. nice to have the mystery
>
> but like you say jane grey, the actors and liking the actors is different
> from the characters themselves.
>
> though snape with rickmans voice is good and i can't not think of his voice
> as snape's own now.
>
> > > I know the actor who plays Snape is a lot older then me but Draco (Tom
> > > Felton) is around my age.
> >
> > i think tom's a good few years younger than you...
> >

> just checked. alanrickman was born in 1946 so he's now 57 (quite alot older
> then) and tom felton appears to be 15 now by his official site (and nearing
> 16, is in september).

Anyone know, what year Tom Felton was born in? I was born in 1987, on
Oct. 10th...

> > > Does anyone know of any Severus Snape (Alan Rickman) fan websites?

> > > And does anyone know of any Draco (Tom Felton) fan websites out there?

> > > So maybe I could send them some fan mail?
> >

> for tom felton
> http://www.tomfelton.com/
> http://www.tomfeltonuk.cjb.net/
> http://www.mugglenet.com/tomfelton.shtml
>
> alan rickman
> http://pages.prodigy.net/emeraldegg/
> http://www.cybamuse.com/movieThemes/actors/arickman/
> http://freespace.virgin.net/sc.i/Claire.htm
> http://members.tripod.com/beafores/page1.html
>
> i know i didn't have to look those up but i like to be helpful. : )
>
> hansaplatz

Thank you very much hansaplatz, and thank you for your kindess.

I'm glad to see that some people in this newsgroup are normal.

This helps me a lot. Maybe one day...I'll get to meet Tom Felton. That
would like a dream come true.

*smiles*

From Pawz

Frank White

Jun 1, 2003, 12:26:11 AM6/1/03
In article <Br2Ca.62160$_t5.4...@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>,
NOgryffindo...@attbi.com says...

>"Pawz" <paw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi!

>> As you all already know, I'm a 15 year old girl...
>> I know this is going to sound a bit embarrassing but, I have a serious
>> crush on Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy...
>> I just *love* Snape's voice. And Draco's too. It sounds so, sharp and
>> it has that edge to it. It kind of reminds me of Jeremy Irons...(I
>> have a bit of crush on him too) As soon as I hear their voices, it
>> makes my heart skip a beat.
>
>I didn't know books could talk. You must be referring to Alan Rickman and
>Tom Felton.
>
>> I think Jeremy Irons would be a great actor to play Voldemort for GoF
>> movie.
>
>You and the rest of the free world.
>
>> But that's just what I think...
>
>You actually think?

>> Yeah I know Snape and Draco are book characters and they don't
>> actually exist but, I really *like* the actors who play the
>> characters, (Alan Rickman and Tom Felton).
>
>Ah, I see my suspicions were correct.
>
>> I think they are great
>> actors! They just bring the characters to life.
>
>That would be their job, yes.
>
>> I'm very impressed with them.
>
>So you've said.

>> I know the actor who plays Snape is a lot older then me but Draco (Tom
>> Felton) is around my age.
>
>...and would never give you the time of day.
>
>> So...
>
>Oh, don't keep us in suspense...
>
>> Does anyone know of any Severus Snape (Alan Rickman) fan websites?
>
>This newsgroup isn't your personal search engine. Go do a Google search
and
>STFU.
>
>> And does anyone know of any Draco (Tom Felton) fan websites out there?
>
>Ibid.

>> So maybe I could send them some fan mail?
>
>Oh you'd LIKE that, wouldn't you...
>
>> Maybe with pictures of them on the websites? Sometimes it's hard to
>> find on the web.(NOT rude ones, please).
>
>Okay, then do a damned google IMAGE search. Sheesh....
>
>> Thanks.
>
>You're quite welcome.
>
>Imbecile...

You know, Shadow, she's (?) actually being rational in this
post, if strangely gushy. At least she's not throwing out
insane plot hypothesis. You might want to hold off attacking
her until she does something to deserve it.

FW

Bojan Bugarin

Jun 1, 2003, 3:39:20 AM6/1/03
I wonder what made John VanSickle <evilsna...@hotmail.com> write
the following:

<snip>

ROTFLMAO!!! That was great.

--
Bojan Bugarin

"I'm sorry I won't be able to make it to your imaginary wedding, but
I'm _really_ busy that day. I already have a unicorn baptism and a
leprechaun bar mitzvah."
-- Phoebe Buffay, "TOW The Stripper"

Bojan Bugarin

Jun 1, 2003, 3:39:23 AM6/1/03
I wonder what made theGreyLady <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> write the
following:

> sorry you're having to explain lots of stuff to me today. I'm new to
> newgruops and not too sure about alot of stuff that i haven't picked up from
> the faq..

Don't worry. I'm not new here, but I myself wasn't aware of the phrase
"wackylace". I *think* this is the first time someone did it on this
newsgroup.

hansaplatz

Jun 1, 2003, 6:19:24 AM6/1/03
<<snip>>

> Just to add my own little bit to this discussion - I always imagined Snape
> as Alan Rickman, long before the casting for the movie was announced. I
had
> always assumed that JKR had certain people in mind when conceiving her
> characters, and that she was thinking very hard about Alan Rickman when
she
> thought up Snape, simliarly with Hagrid / Robbie Coltrane.
> If someone had come up to me right after I'd finished reading the books
for
> the first time and asked me who would play each character in a movie, I
> would have picked out those two (Rickman, Coltrane) instantly.. I can't
> remember who I was thinking of for many of the other characters - the
movies
> have blurred my memories of my first perceptions a bit - but I was
> definately very clear on the Rickman as Snape idea..
>
> I don't know how well these thoughts will go down here in the NG, but many
> of my friends that I have spoken to on the issue have agreed with me - it
> seems that the general opinoin here goes a different way?

well i can't say i ever thought much about it when ready the books but now i
definetly agree with those two as perfectly cast for the characters.
not to mention quirrel in the film was also very much like how i was reading
him from the books.

hansaplatz

hansaplatz

Jun 1, 2003, 6:26:55 AM6/1/03
<<snip>>

> > Hi!
>
> Hi, Spiffy!
>

> > As you all already know, I'm a 15 year old girl...
>
> Actually, we all know that you are *NOT* a 15 year old girl.

trying to be friendly whilst asking this, but exactly how does everyone know
she's not 15?

i missed lots of her posts (still saw some the trouble ones tho).

did she previously say something else? or is it just that its presumed she's
older because she's got troll status?

only asking because i don't know where that was coming from, confused
slightly therefore.

hansaplatz

Dragon Friend

Jun 1, 2003, 8:24:56 AM6/1/03
"Myk" <mykl.h...@nospamvirgin.net> wrote in message

May be the general opinion does, but there are many of us that do agree with
you, personally I think JK Rowling is a fan of Alan Rickman's as there are a
few scenes in the books where Snape acts like a Rickman has in other movies.
Want an idea of what Snape would look like as a DE then watch Robin Hood
Prince of Thieves to see him in a hooded robe and a mask ;-) Want to see
him in a green dress and a womans hat with large feathers, watch Michael
Collins ;-) Like you I could see Rickman as Snape when I read the books,
but thought he would be too old to be asked, I am so glad he was not only
asked but (according to an interview I have seen him give) JKR pitched the
role to him till he accepted and gave him extra info so he could work on the
character ;-)

Yes I like Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid as well and I couldn't see anyone else
playing that part either.

> Myk
>
> (who also correctly guessed Gary Oldman as Sirius and Timothy Spall as
> Pettigrew..)

I had David Bamber as being a good match for Pettigrew, he was last seen on
the BBC as Lush in their presentation of 'Daniel Deronda'

Dragon Friend
--
"Humanity... so noble, always willing to sacrifice... the other fellow." ~~
Max von Sydow in NEEDFUL THINGS. "...perhaps all the dragons of our lives
are princesses who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and brave..."
By Rainer Maria Rilke Check out these websites http://www.maxvonsydow.net
http://www.maxvonsydow.da.ru

Sirius Kase

Jun 1, 2003, 9:20:33 AM6/1/03
In article <1pdCa.240$784.2...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>, Myk
<mykl.h...@nospamvirgin.net> wrote:

>> but the baddies in series' always have followings. i mean, theres all that
>> angsty past to snape.
>> he made mistakes sure (we don't entirely know all about them yet)
>> but snape's not the antihero and some people might just like the more
>> complex characters i.e. draco and snape. we just know so little of why
>they
>> are mean. everything is just presumed. nice to have the mystery
>>
>> but like you say jane grey, the actors and liking the actors is different
>> from the characters themselves.
>>
>> though snape with rickmans voice is good and i can't not think of his
>voice
>> as snape's own now.
>
>Just to add my own little bit to this discussion - I always imagined Snape
>as Alan Rickman, long before the casting for the movie was announced. I had
>always assumed that JKR had certain people in mind when conceiving her
>characters, and that she was thinking very hard about Alan Rickman when she
>thought up Snape, simliarly with Hagrid / Robbie Coltrane.

IIRC, Snape and Hagrid were the first two characters cast, Rowling was
involved and met with them prior to the official announcement and she
has said that she is a big fan of both of them. I don't know if she
actually had them in mind as she wrote, but I think when she was
approached about doing a movie, they were in her "Dream Cast".

>If someone had come up to me right after I'd finished reading the books for
>the first time and asked me who would play each character in a movie, I
>would have picked out those two (Rickman, Coltrane) instantly.. I can't
>remember who I was thinking of for many of the other characters - the movies
>have blurred my memories of my first perceptions a bit - but I was
>definately very clear on the Rickman as Snape idea..

Rowling's writing is very visual, a lot of people say reading HP makes
them see a movie in their heads. And somewhere, I don't keep track of
interviews anymore, she said something about imagining how it looked
and sounded and then writing it down to best preserve that, so she
would have seen the characters and if she is even half as lazy as
anyone else, they would have resembled people she knew. Snape is based
on her old Chemistry teacher, but I've seen pictures of him and he
doesn't look like Snape. And then there is the artwork she drew to
illustrate the books, but the publishers rejected. With a little
imagination, that Snape resembles Rickman. And her Harry looks much
more like how I imagined him than any of the cover art. Yes, I did
imagine him looking a bit cartoony.

>I don't know how well these thoughts will go down here in the NG, but many
>of my friends that I have spoken to on the issue have agreed with me - it
>seems that the general opinoin here goes a different way?
>
>Myk
>
>(who also correctly guessed Gary Oldman as Sirius and Timothy Spall as
>Pettigrew..)

Much of what I said comes from the Harry & Me TV show, if you can track
it down, it's very interesting. This is also where she disclosed that
Harry's year consists of 41 kids and they show two of her childhood
homes, favorite smoking spot, etc.

sirius kase

--
"Just tell me what secret you want to make sure I don't know, and I'll tell you
if I already knew it."

Sirius Kase

Jun 1, 2003, 9:22:03 AM6/1/03
In article <bbakj8$cq6$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, hansaplatz
<han...@dg-s.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>"<<snip>>>
>>
>> i s'pose they do provide mystery and i think the characters provide
>> essential roles to the potterverse but i just don't get why ppl get
>> "crushes" on snape. yes alan rickman's snape i get but the real canon
>snape
>> is a lot uglier than alan rickman can ever play him cos alan has nice skin
>> and no crooked nose...but i guess ppl don't separate the movie ones to the
>> books ones...i just see snape as bitter and vindictive cos really that is
>> how rowling presents him...
>>

>i guess the crushes must just be on the actors along with the idea, not
>simply the characters in the books.
>though i have to say i imagined snape better in the books than he appears
>onscreen (yes, despite greasy hair and crooked nose)

I wonder how he broke his nose? childhood broom accident?

Sirius Kase

Jun 1, 2003, 9:24:41 AM6/1/03
In article <SM4Ca.224$rp2...@newsfep3-gui.server.ntli.net>, theGreyLady
<the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> i never thought about his voice reading the books, but now i hear
>rickmans.
>> i guess because it carries the sarcasm etc sooo well in my opinion. no one
>> else alive could do such a chilling rendition of snape's insults and sly
>> humour. i'd probably like to hear people try though.
>
>i think rickman does snape in a sorta cool sarcastic way whereas i imagined
>a kinda vindictive, just plain mean sarcasm....
>

>> hansaplatz
>>

>--
>Jane Grey

I agree, Rickman's Snape is the sort that students might consider cool
as long as he picked on someone else. Creepy teachers are quite
common in the science department. My biology teacher owned a funeral
parlour and she managed to include stories about that in her lectures.

Sirius Kase

Jun 1, 2003, 9:35:48 AM6/1/03
In article <bbau4n$q2a$1...@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, Dragon Friend
<Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> wrote:

>> ok i think we should give shadow goblin status (not quite troll but just
>as
>> ugly)
>>
>Pawz is a troll on this newsgroup, and sometimes uses a sockpuppet called
>Spiffy so perhaps before you lay into Shadow you should see how other
>regulars have treated the post :-) You and hansaplatz are the only one to

>take the post seriously :-) So I think given the trouble Pawz and its other

>id's have caused on the group you may want to apologise to Shadow :-)

Pawz surely made a bad impression on many here, including myself, but
if she behaves herself, she should be treated decently. any who can't
get over her earlier posts, should just avoid her.

In case you didn't notice, this post was an improvement over the
earlier posts. And if you didn't see it because you killfiled it, wait
until you let her out before you talk about her. Posts about posts can
be just as offensive as the original.

Sirius Kase

Jun 1, 2003, 9:40:24 AM6/1/03
In article <lR8Ca.95$784.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>,
theGreyLady <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message
>> "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>> > So how come Catherine Johnson and Earwax seemed to have replied
>> > to it too
>>
>> I didn't reply to Pawz, I replied to you. There's a difference.
>>

>yes i realise in hindsight u didn't address Pawz post whatsoever. So what
>did she do to get everyone's goat so bad?
>i wanna know! i hate being the newbie...in the dark about this sort of
>stuff....i think there should be a FAQ page about past trolls detailing what
>they have done..
>
>--
>Jane Grey
>-----------

I'd rather not have a thread about it, click on this:

<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Pawz+Harry-potter>

Frank White

Jun 1, 2003, 10:57:27 AM6/1/03
In article <bbckd3$7os$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, han...@dg-s.fsnet.co.uk
says...

Actually, we have no definate info on Pawz's age or gender. All
we know for just is that her behavior tends to be bizzare and
trollish, as well as occasionally abusive.

FW

hansaplatz

Jun 1, 2003, 9:14:42 AM6/1/03
<<<snip>>>

> So it may do, but I believe you will find Pawz has just successfully
> suckered you and hansaplatz in and will soon show its true colours by
> insulting the rest of the group as it did before. By the way Pawz is not
> newbie it posted originally in January 2002 to publicise its website, so
it
> is also internet savvy and quite capable of doing a websearch despite
trying
> to appear as though it knows nothing about computers.

well i hoped i wasn't suckered into pawz' web. i know she (?) caused lots of
trouble and refused to believe even jkr.
i mean even i managed to post a rushed theory when i was a newbie (though
she isn't anymore), one that went against the books but that was my
overthinking and forgetfulness of facts and i relinquished when reminded it
was impossible.

i see that pawz is not a newbie and that she does refuse to to give in to
real proven fact, but i hadn't known she knew much about computers (the
example you gave of her posting about her website).

the only reason i replied to her post was that for once what she said wasn't
really being stupid or unbelievable (only childish perhaps and fluffy). and
of course i was trying to be helpful because i know reasonable intelligent
people who can't for their life find stuff with search engines, as they just
aren't good at computers.

if i'd known that she could have searched herself probably, i might have
still put up the sites up (if only for anyone else interested in them). this
seems to be the case that i am too helpful and too trusting.
but atleast her messages are less trollish now than before. thats something
fortunate.

hansaplatz

hansaplatz

Jun 1, 2003, 12:14:16 PM6/1/03

"Sirius Kase" <Siriu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> In article <bbakj8$cq6$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, hansaplatz
> <han...@dg-s.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >"<<snip>>>
> >>
> >> i s'pose they do provide mystery and i think the characters provide
> >> essential roles to the potterverse but i just don't get why ppl get
> >> "crushes" on snape. yes alan rickman's snape i get but the real canon
> >snape
> >> is a lot uglier than alan rickman can ever play him cos alan has nice
skin
> >> and no crooked nose...but i guess ppl don't separate the movie ones to
the
> >> books ones...i just see snape as bitter and vindictive cos really that
is
> >> how rowling presents him...
> >>

> >i guess the crushes must just be on the actors along with the idea, not
> >simply the characters in the books.
> >though i have to say i imagined snape better in the books than he appears
> >onscreen (yes, despite greasy hair and crooked nose)
>
> I wonder how he broke his nose? childhood broom accident?
>
> sirius kase

personally i always wondered if it was a marauders prank gone wrong (or
right!)

hansaplatz

Dragon Friend

Jun 1, 2003, 1:20:44 PM6/1/03
"Sirius Kase" <Siriu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> In article <bbakj8$cq6$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, hansaplatz
> <han...@dg-s.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >"<<snip>>>
> >>
> >> i s'pose they do provide mystery and i think the characters provide
> >> essential roles to the potterverse but i just don't get why ppl get
> >> "crushes" on snape. yes alan rickman's snape i get but the real canon
> >snape
> >> is a lot uglier than alan rickman can ever play him cos alan has nice
skin
> >> and no crooked nose...but i guess ppl don't separate the movie ones to
the
> >> books ones...i just see snape as bitter and vindictive cos really that
is
> >> how rowling presents him...
> >>

> >i guess the crushes must just be on the actors along with the idea, not
> >simply the characters in the books.
> >though i have to say i imagined snape better in the books than he appears
> >onscreen (yes, despite greasy hair and crooked nose)
>
> I wonder how he broke his nose? childhood broom accident?
>
> sirius kase

Crooked nose doesn't necessarily mean it got broken, my dad has a hooked
noce (sometimes described as crooked) and he was born with it ;-) I always
imagined that if Snape broke his nose it was perhaps an accident playing
Quidditch or perhaps a fight when he was a DE although Wizards don't seem to
fist fight much, perhaps a muggle punched him in the face before being AK's

Dragon Friend

Jun 1, 2003, 1:28:03 PM6/1/03
"Sirius Kase" <Siriu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Climb off that high horse Sirius, I saw Pawz's latest post via Grey Lady and
I was actually replying to Grey Lady and being helpful as she had asked
before about trolls on the group! I did nothing but state the facts about
Pawz and I did not call her names or anything else there was nothing
offensive in my post! Given the nature of Pawz's post it was just another
troll attempt, it asked for websites on two actors when all it needed to do
was place either actor's name in Google to come up with hundreds of websites
on those people. Something given it has created a website I am sure it could
have managed without posting here. Try reading everything before you snip
and leap all over people please Sirius, thank you :-)

Fish Eye no Miko

Jun 1, 2003, 1:47:51 PM6/1/03

> "Sirius Kase" <Siriu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

<Snape>

> > I wonder how he broke his nose? childhood broom accident?
>

> Crooked nose doesn't necessarily mean it got broken, my dad has
> a hooked noce (sometimes described as crooked) and he was born
> with it ;-) I always imagined that if Snape broke his nose it was
> perhaps an accident playing Quidditch or perhaps a fight when he was
> a DE although Wizards don't seem to fist fight much, perhaps a muggle
> punched him in the face before being AK's

I could picture him and Sirius duking it out, actually...

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net

Right now you are reading my .sig quote.

Dragon Friend

Jun 1, 2003, 2:10:05 PM6/1/03

> "Dragon Friend" <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> wrote in message
>
> > "Sirius Kase" <Siriu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
> <Snape>
> > > I wonder how he broke his nose? childhood broom accident?
> >
> > Crooked nose doesn't necessarily mean it got broken, my dad has
> > a hooked nose (sometimes described as crooked) and he was born

> > with it ;-) I always imagined that if Snape broke his nose it was
> > perhaps an accident playing Quidditch or perhaps a fight when he was
> > a DE although Wizards don't seem to fist fight much, perhaps a muggle
> > punched him in the face before being AK's
>
> I could picture him and Sirius duking it out, actually...

Actually I could as well but wondered if they would settle for hexing each
other instead, I have read fan fiction where Sirius and Severus fist
fight....

Danse Macabre

Jun 1, 2003, 4:58:45 PM6/1/03
Sirius Kase <Siriu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<010620030921401463%Siriu...@earthlink.net>...

>> >though i have to say i imagined snape better in the books than he
appears
> >onscreen (yes, despite greasy hair and crooked nose)
>
> I wonder how he broke his nose? childhood broom accident?

Wait, I really don't remember his nose being "crooked" from canon. All
I remember is his nose is big and hook (that's WAY different from
crooked) Please prove me wrong, give me exact pages in the book that
says his nose is crooked.

Danse
who's a newbie to the group.

Danse Macabre

Jun 1, 2003, 5:04:15 PM6/1/03
"theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<pW2Ca.119$rp2...@newsfep3-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> oh well, when i read the books i still hear the snape mean crass voice i
> heard before the films came out (i think rickman's snape voice is way too
> whispery and sexy-ish to be snape as JKR wrote it!)

But in the book, Snape's voice is *repeatedly* described as "silky"!
Isn't "silky" is the perfect description for Rickman's snape voice?!?

And "whispery" is another decription which is often used in the book
to describe Snape's speech.

Honestly, Rickman's Snape voice is the most dead on as the book's
Snape's...
I really couldn't understand why you said that. Just because Snape has
an ugly voice in your own head when you read book doesn't mean the
book Snape really sound like that. JKR specifically AND repeatedly
describe Snape's voice to be "silky" and "Whispery"! You can't go
against what JKR herself wrote can you!?

Danse

Colin Jackson

Jun 1, 2003, 5:20:42 PM6/1/03

"Myk" <mykl.h...@nospamvirgin.net> wrote in message

After reading your post it made me think. Are there any sites out there that
show people's predictions that they have made way before the books (or
movies for that matter) have come out, that have come true. Kind of like a
True Seers page. I'd enjoy reading that.

Colin Jackson

Dragon Friend

Jun 1, 2003, 5:47:41 PM6/1/03
"Danse Macabre" <kewpi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Danse
> who's a newbie to the group.

Welcome Danse, find a seat in our virtual common room and enjoy your stay
:-) You will find the groupd FAQ at
http://www.hogwarts-library.net/reference there is also a lot of other
interesting stuff there and it is well worth a look :-)

Tennant collects info on age and favourite book (so far) asnd keeps a tally
as Troels is hoping the averager age will increase and that GoF will somehow
overtake PoA in the league of favourite books ;-)

Watch out for trolls (as opposed to Troels who is a good guy), otherwise
most of us are friendly :-)

theGreyLady

Jun 1, 2003, 6:09:56 PM6/1/03

"Danse Macabre" <kewpi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> Honestly, Rickman's Snape voice is the most dead on as the book's
> Snape's...
> I really couldn't understand why you said that. Just because Snape has
> an ugly voice in your own head when you read book doesn't mean the
> book Snape really sound like that. JKR specifically AND repeatedly
> describe Snape's voice to be "silky" and "Whispery"! You can't go
> against what JKR herself wrote can you!?

really his voice is described as silky and whisary?...wonder how i could
have missed that, esp my 6th read thru all the books...

--
a perplexed, Jane Grey
Peeves flipped over and grinned at Dumbledore from
between his own legs. "Nasty temper he's got, that Sirius Black."

http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1243973

Tennant Stuart

Jun 1, 2003, 6:56:44 PM6/1/03
In article <J29Ca.6704$a51.16...@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>,
Kish <Kis...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> theGreyLady wrote:

>> yes i realise in hindsight u didn't address Pawz post whatsoever. So
>> what did she do to get everyone's goat so bad?

> Posted some weird theories. One was that Draco is actually in love with
> Hermione. Some people pointed out, with varying degrees of politeness,
> that her theories were unlikely. She provided support...in the form of
> passages she had read w/no comprehension. Some people tried to explain
> to her (w/varying degrees of politeness, again) that Draco saying he
> wants to help the Heir of Slytherin kill all the Mudbloods doesn't
> secretly mean he wants to be best friends with Harry and Ron, or that
> he's in love with Hermione. Pawz responded and showed no more
> comprehension of the replies than she did of the books. Somewhere in
> there, Pawz called everyone who disagreed with her azzholes (sic), then
> apologized and demanded an apology from everyone who had insulted her.
> She got more flames. Then she created a sock puppet named Spiffy, who
> appealed to the newsgroup to cut Pawz some slack.

Pawz (who is not a 15yo girl) has a new sock puppet now, "Drusilla".

Tennant

--
____ ____ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ ____
(_ _)( ___)( \( )( \( ) /__\ ( \( )(_ _) Greetings to family

Tennant Stuart

Jun 1, 2003, 6:58:08 PM6/1/03
paw...@yahoo.com (Pawz) wrote:

> Tennant Stuart <ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message

>> In article <6ce2e42f.03053...@posting.google.com>,
>> paw...@yahoo.com (Pawz) wrote:

>>> Hi!

>> Hi, Spiffy!

>>> As you all already know, I'm a 15 year old girl...

>> Actually, we all know that you are *NOT* a 15 year old girl.

> Actually for your infomation, you have no idea what age I am.

> The truth is, I am for once being honest about my age. I am 15 years
> old, and i'm very close in age with Tom Felton. I am for once being
> honest, I have a crush on him.

Yeah, and when you're being Spiffy you're an adult man.

And now you also pretend to be Drusilla.

Tennant Stuart

Jun 1, 2003, 6:59:36 PM6/1/03
In article <8o9Ca.130$784.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>,
"theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> yes i think i rememeber some of those posts in my lurking days, they
> were titled pawz=spiffy right? but i diidn't understand it at the time
> so i just ignored it. i guess it all makes sense now!

If you know how to examine posts properly, you can often tell if they
came from two people who are closely associated with each other.

If they claim not to know each other, then they are the same person.

Pawz == Spiffy == Drusilla

Tennant Stuart

Jun 1, 2003, 7:00:57 PM6/1/03
In article <bbckd3$7os$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, "hansaplatz"
<han...@dg-s.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> <<snip>>

>>> Hi!

>> Hi, Spiffy!

Check out the posts from Spiffy, who is clearly not a 15 year old girl.

Spiffy & Pawz are the same troll, as is his new sock puppet, Drusilla.

Tennant Stuart

Jun 1, 2003, 7:16:11 PM6/1/03
In article <3ED910A7...@hotmail.com>, John VanSickle
<evilsna...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Pawz wrote:

>> I know this is going to sound a bit embarrassing but, I have a serious
>> psychosis, which causes me to daydream of pouring an ice-cold Orange
>> crush on Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy...

<SNIP>

ROTFL - that was... well, weird. Thanks, John!

Tennant Stuart

Jun 1, 2003, 6:55:17 PM6/1/03
<Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> wrote:

> Pawz is a troll on this newsgroup, and sometimes uses a sockpuppet
> called Spiffy

Sheena - look out for Pawz's *new* sock puppet, named Drusilla.

It's quite amusing the way he refers to "Paws" as "he", as though
that would throw us off the scent.

Earwax

Jun 1, 2003, 9:41:47 PM6/1/03
On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:56:44 BST, Tennant Stuart
<ten...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>Pawz (who is not a 15yo girl) has a new sock puppet now, "Drusilla".

Drusilla has used a couple of IP addresses (200.106.x.x and
200.60.x.x) that seem to belong to an organization in Lima Peru. Pawz
had an AT&T worldnet IP. Not the same country, highly unlikely to be
the same person. (unless I missed some other Drusilla)

Danse Macabre

Jun 2, 2003, 12:12:13 AM6/2/03
"theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<tNuCa.91$Fa2....@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>...

> "Danse Macabre" <kewpi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > Honestly, Rickman's Snape voice is the most dead on as the book's
> > Snape's...
> > I really couldn't understand why you said that. Just because Snape has
> > an ugly voice in your own head when you read book doesn't mean the
> > book Snape really sound like that. JKR specifically AND repeatedly
> > describe Snape's voice to be "silky" and "Whispery"! You can't go
> > against what JKR herself wrote can you!?
> >

> really his voice is described as silky and whisary?...wonder how i could
> have missed that, esp my 6th read thru all the books...

The words that are most often used to describe Snape's voice in the
book are:
Cold, Silky, whispery.
May be if you let your bias down the next time you read the book you
will finally see those written words? :P

Besides, it was JKR who requested Alan Rickman to play Snape.
If that's how she wants Snape to look/sound like, then I'll go by her
vision.

Danse

Fish Eye no Miko

Jun 2, 2003, 12:17:06 AM6/2/03
"Danse Macabre" <kewpi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> The words that are most often used to describe Snape's voice in the

> book are:
> Cold, Silky, whispery.

Quotes please?

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net

"I dance like Angel sings!"
-James A. Wolf, Esq, rec.arts.tv.mst3k.misc.

Danse Macabre

Jun 2, 2003, 12:17:14 AM6/2/03
"Dragon Friend" <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> wrote in message news:<bbdsa0$fd0$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>...

> Welcome Danse, find a seat in our virtual common room and enjoy your stay
> :-) You will find the groupd FAQ at
> http://www.hogwarts-library.net/reference there is also a lot of other
> interesting stuff there and it is well worth a look :-)

Thanks Dragon Friend for the warm welcome.
I have been reading this group for quite awhile.
Lots of interesting discussion here, and I like that here is not as
"uptight" as HP4GU.

Danse (who decide to de-lurk because she really don't remember the
book ever mention Snape's nose being crooked and wish those who says
so could enlighten her since she's a huge Snape fan and just love to
know everything about him)

luraj_SP...@earthlink.net

Jun 2, 2003, 4:02:17 AM6/2/03
On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 01:41:47 GMT, Earwax <Ear...@hogwarts.sch.uk>
wrote:

>Drusilla has used a couple of IP addresses (200.106.x.x and
>200.60.x.x) that seem to belong to an organization in Lima Peru. Pawz
>had an AT&T worldnet IP. Not the same country, highly unlikely to be
>the same person.

Not if that person is a (rather accomplished) cracker! (A cracker is
what most people think of as a hacker.) ^_^

Lura J
http://home.earthlink.net/~luraj
Craftish Geeks Co-owner
http://snurl.com/wf4
http://home.earthlink.net/~craftishgeeks
"Draco Malfoy, the amazing bouncing ferret..." -- Ron Weasley, HP4

Troels Forchhammer

Jun 2, 2003, 8:47:24 AM6/2/03
Danse Macabre wrote:

> Danse
> who's a newbie to the group.

Hullo Danse - and welcome ;-)

Somewhere you should be able to find a message titled "Welcome
to AFH-P, FAQs and other information." This welcome message
should hopefully give you all the information you need to
start out here, so all I have to do is to greet you ;-)

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers
exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will
instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more
bizarrely inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already
happened."
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Dragon Friend

Jun 2, 2003, 8:59:50 AM6/2/03
"theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Danse Macabre" <kewpi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > Honestly, Rickman's Snape voice is the most dead on as the book's
> > Snape's...
> > I really couldn't understand why you said that. Just because Snape has
> > an ugly voice in your own head when you read book doesn't mean the
> > book Snape really sound like that. JKR specifically AND repeatedly
> > describe Snape's voice to be "silky" and "Whispery"! You can't go
> > against what JKR herself wrote can you!?
> >

> really his voice is described as silky and whisary?...wonder how i could
> have missed that, esp my 6th read thru all the books...

When we very first meet Snape in Potions Class book 1 he is described as
speaking softly and then later in the same chapter as speaking in barely
more than a whisper. Then in the Mirror of Erised when he breaks up the
fight between Ron & Draco he is described as speaking silkily. I am sure
there are more examples I just found those by quickily scanning through the
first book, perhaps Tennant can provide one of his search results from his
electronic copies:-) I very much agree with Danse and if you know of Mr
Rickman's career you can see various hints to it in the way JKR writes about
Snape and to some extent the DE's, so I am of the mind that when she was
writing it she was very much thinking of Alan Rickman as Professor Snape
despite the fact Mr Rickman is actually 14 years older than Snape is meant
to be (Lexicon says Snape was born around 1960).

Dragon Friend

Jun 2, 2003, 9:00:42 AM6/2/03

> In article <bbau4n$q2a$1...@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Dragon Friend"
> <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> wrote:
>
> > Pawz is a troll on this newsgroup, and sometimes uses a sockpuppet
> > called Spiffy
>
> Sheena - look out for Pawz's *new* sock puppet, named Drusilla.
>
> It's quite amusing the way he refers to "Paws" as "he", as though
> that would throw us off the scent.

Thank you for the information I will watch Drusilla with interest, to see if
'she' slips up.

Dragon Friend

Jun 2, 2003, 9:08:09 AM6/2/03
"Danse Macabre" <kewpi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Dragon Friend" <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> wrote in message
> > Welcome Danse, find a seat in our virtual common room and enjoy your
stay
> > :-) You will find the groupd FAQ at
> > http://www.hogwarts-library.net/reference there is also a lot of other
> > interesting stuff there and it is well worth a look :-)
>
> Thanks Dragon Friend for the warm welcome.
> I have been reading this group for quite awhile.
> Lots of interesting discussion here, and I like that here is not as
> "uptight" as HP4GU.

You are very welcome :-) Perhaps you would like to point Froggy83 in the
direction of HP4GU as he seems to feel we are uptight and treat newbies
unfairly ;-) I am glad that you do not feel that way.... I love your
nickname by the way Stephen King Fan? (after his book) or a fan of music by
Saint Saen's? I am a fan of both before you ask and am just curious as to
your nickname's origins :-)

> Danse (who decide to de-lurk because she really don't remember the
> book ever mention Snape's nose being crooked and wish those who says
> so could enlighten her since she's a huge Snape fan and just love to
> know everything about him)

I am not sure of that either, I must admit.... can someone please supply us
with a reference for where Snape is physically described, I had a quick
glance through book1 and couldn't find it.

theGreyLady

Jun 2, 2003, 9:23:17 AM6/2/03
Danse Macabre <kewpi...@yahoo.com> owled posted
fe17f9c2.03060...@posting.google.com :

> "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> "Danse Macabre" <kewpi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> <snip>
>>> Honestly, Rickman's Snape voice is the most dead on as the book's
>>> Snape's...
>>> I really couldn't understand why you said that. Just because Snape
>>> has
>>> an ugly voice in your own head when you read book doesn't mean the
>>> book Snape really sound like that. JKR specifically AND repeatedly
>>> describe Snape's voice to be "silky" and "Whispery"! You can't go
>>> against what JKR herself wrote can you!?
>>>

>> really his voice is described as silky and whisary?...wonder how i
>> could
>> have missed that, esp my 6th read thru all the books...
>>

> The words that are most often used to describe Snape's voice in the
> book are:
> Cold, Silky, whispery.
> May be if you let your bias down the next time you read the book you
> will finally see those written words? :P

sure i remember now, he is descirbed as speaking silky when either his voice
is dangerously quiet or he is being mean (when he tells Black that there is
no need to go up to the castle in PoV and when he takes points of gryffinfor
even after hagrid backs up ron's veriosn of events in CoS (when hagrid
blocks with a passgeway with xmas tree and they meet draco))....so i guess i
put all that down to his manipulative mean ways... voldemort is also
described as talking silkily at various points in GoF in situations where
he's just being nasty. so I guess i got it in my head that that's just
another tool to be mean with.

But anyway, the fact that alan rickamn has a perfectly fine nose, nice skin
and hair. snape on the other hand is describbed as having a hooked nose,
sallow skin and greasy hair means rickman is too sexy (heh, if i'm allowed
to call someone pushing sixty that...) for snape! heh. I didn't think of
any actors for snape (I diidn't know rickman at the time anyway so wouldn't
have thought of him) but I think a cleaned up version of the actor who plays
filch would have been more how i imagined him...

but I'm glad rickman does it tho, cos it seems the films are kinda obmitting
the scenes where snape is being plain nasty so it doesn't make much
difference to me....besides i don't take the films seriusly, just watch it
for the visual effects.....

theGreyLady

Jun 2, 2003, 9:28:31 AM6/2/03
Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted
bbfi80$3i1$1...@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk :

<snip>

> I am not sure of that either, I must admit.... can someone please
> supply us with a reference for where Snape is physically described, I
> had a quick glance through book1 and couldn't find it.

PS, sorting hat (ch7):-
"Harry, who was starting to feel warm and sleepy, looked up at
the High Table again. Hagrid was drinking deeply from his goblet.
Professor McGonagall was talking to Professor Dumbledore. Professor
Quirrell, in his absurd turban, was talking to a teacher with greasy
black hair, a hooked nose, and sallow skin."
...none other than snape

Andy Platt

Jun 2, 2003, 9:28:09 AM6/2/03
"Dragon Friend" <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> wrote:

There's also a reference in book 4 where his nose gets a double does of
abuse:

"On Professor Sinistra's other side was the sallow-faced, hook-nosed,
greasy-haired Potions master, Snape - Harry's least favorite person at
Hogwarts. Harry's loathing of Snape was matched only by Snape's hatred of
him, a hatred which had, if possible, intensified last year, when Harry had
helped Sirius escape right under Snape's overlarge nose - Snape and Sirius
had been enemies since their own school days."

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Troels Forchhammer

Jun 2, 2003, 10:05:47 AM6/2/03
Fish Eye no Miko wrote:

> "Danse Macabre" <kewpi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> The words that are most often used to describe Snape's voice in the
>> book are:
>> Cold, Silky, whispery.
>
> Quotes please?

Descriptions of Snape's voice
"barely more than a whisper" PS-8 'The Potions Master'
"his voice icy" PS-13 'Nicolas Flamel'
"a very cold voice" CoS-5 'The Whomping Willow'
"most dangerous voice" PoA-7 'The Boggart in the Wardrobe'
"a voice of deadly calm" PoA-9 'Grim Defeat'
"sneered a cold voice" PoA-18 'Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs'
"soft, deadly voice" GoF-18 'The Weighing of the Wands'
"his silkiest voice" GoF-18 'The Weighing of the Wands'
"voice of forced calm" GoF-25 'The Egg and the Eye'
"a softer and more dangerous voice" GoF-27 'Padfoot Returns'

Elsewhere Snape
"snarled" (10/49)
"spat" (6/27)
"said harshly" (1/12)
"whispered" (3/254), - that's as much as Madam Rosmerta.
"breathed" (2/21)
"said silkily" (3/4),
"curtly" (3/13)
"said viciously" (1/2)
"snapped" (5/84)
"howled" (1/34)
"said softly" (6/37)

It is perhaps worth noticing that the first descriptions are
from PS-8 'The Potions Master' where Snape "said softly" and
"spoke in barely more than a whisper." This is probably Snape's
normal voice.

The most common words used for Snape's speech appear to be
'snarl', 'spit' and 'soft'.

When he is not snarling or spitting or snapping at people, he
appears to speak in a low, soft voice devoid of any warmth.
When he speaks to Harry that voice is probably laced with
contempt as well.

>> Besides, it was JKR who requested Alan Rickman to play Snape.

I've heard that she was satisfied with him, but I don't recall
this - do you have a reference for it?

>> If that's how she wants Snape to look/sound like, then
>> I'll go by her vision.

He doesn't look like she envisioned Snape prior to the movies
<http://www.fictionalley.org/harryandme/profsnape.jpg>

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

"And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left
the path of wisdom."
- Gandalf, 'LotR' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Troels Forchhammer

Jun 2, 2003, 10:10:47 AM6/2/03
Tennant Stuart wrote:

> Pawz == Spiffy == Drusilla

NO!

Pawz and Spiffy are one and the same, but Drusilla is not.

Drusilla is Peruvian using a Peruvian ISP (Telefonica Del Peru S.a.a.),
while Pawz (and the Spiffy sock-puppet) is using AT&T in the US.

Please don't confuse these two persons!

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

This isn't right. This isn't even wrong.
Wolfgang Pauli, on a paper submitted by a physicist colleague
(Thus speaks the quantum physicist)

Dragon Friend

Jun 2, 2003, 10:09:35 AM6/2/03
"Andy Platt" <a...@turnip.his.com> wrote in message

> "Dragon Friend" <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> wrote:
>
> There's also a reference in book 4 where his nose gets a double does of
> abuse:
>
> "On Professor Sinistra's other side was the sallow-faced, hook-nosed,
> greasy-haired Potions master, Snape - Harry's least favorite person at
> Hogwarts. Harry's loathing of Snape was matched only by Snape's hatred of
> him, a hatred which had, if possible, intensified last year, when Harry
had
> helped Sirius escape right under Snape's overlarge nose - Snape and Sirius
> had been enemies since their own school days."
>
> Andy.

Yes but it is described as hooked not crooked.... I remember seeing it
described as hooked but not crooked sorry I should have been clearer but
thank you for the pointer Andy :-)

Troels Forchhammer

Jun 2, 2003, 10:12:21 AM6/2/03
Tennant Stuart wrote:

> Sheena - look out for Pawz's *new* sock puppet, named Drusilla.

Please stop this!
Drusilla is /not/ the same as Pawz and Spiffy.

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

The trouble with being a god is that you've got no one to pray to.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Dragon Friend

Jun 2, 2003, 10:11:32 AM6/2/03

> Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted
> bbfi80$3i1$1...@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk :
>
> <snip>
> > I am not sure of that either, I must admit.... can someone please
> > supply us with a reference for where Snape is physically described, I
> > had a quick glance through book1 and couldn't find it.
>
> PS, sorting hat (ch7):-
> "Harry, who was starting to feel warm and sleepy, looked up at
> the High Table again. Hagrid was drinking deeply from his goblet.
> Professor McGonagall was talking to Professor Dumbledore. Professor
> Quirrell, in his absurd turban, was talking to a teacher with greasy
> black hair, a hooked nose, and sallow skin."
> ...none other than snape

Thank you Jane but again that is described as being hooked not crooked....
people keep saying crooked but I don't remember that being in the books just
hooked. It is references to crooked that I believe both Danse and myself
are looking for :-)

Troels Forchhammer

Jun 2, 2003, 10:14:23 AM6/2/03
Tennant Stuart wrote:

> Spiffy & Pawz are the same troll,

Indeed they are.

> as is his new sock puppet, Drusilla.

False!
I expect an apology to Drusilla for this campaign, Tennant.

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid mail is t.forch(a)mail.dk

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the
arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I
love only that which they defend:"
- Faramir, 'LotR' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

theGreyLady

Jun 2, 2003, 10:21:19 AM6/2/03
Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted
bbfluv$83a$1...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk :

<snip>

> Thank you Jane but again that is described as being hooked not
> crooked.... people keep saying crooked but I don't remember that
> being in the books just hooked. It is references to crooked that I
> believe both Danse and myself are looking for :-)

I really don't think snape's nose ever was described as crooked, only
hooked. Dunbledore's tho has been described as crooked on numerous occasion
tho i think....
so while Dunbledore's might have been broken, i think snape just has a gross
nose :)

Earwax

Jun 2, 2003, 10:18:30 AM6/2/03
On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 08:02:17 GMT, luraj_SP...@earthlink.net
wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 01:41:47 GMT, Earwax <Ear...@hogwarts.sch.uk>
>wrote:
>

>>Drusilla has used a couple of IP addresses (200.106.x.x and
>>200.60.x.x) that seem to belong to an organization in Lima Peru. Pawz
>>had an AT&T worldnet IP. Not the same country, highly unlikely to be
>>the same person.
>
>Not if that person is a (rather accomplished) cracker! (A cracker is
>what most people think of as a hacker.) ^_^

If the accusation is on the basis of something other than IP addy,
then I'm "all ears" for some other evidence that they are the same
person.

Drusilla has also posted in Spanish, while Paws hasn't shown any such
language abilities.

Myk

Jun 1, 2003, 10:19:00 AM6/1/03
> > PS, sorting hat (ch7):-
> > "Harry, who was starting to feel warm and sleepy, looked up at
> > the High Table again. Hagrid was drinking deeply from his goblet.
> > Professor McGonagall was talking to Professor Dumbledore. Professor
> > Quirrell, in his absurd turban, was talking to a teacher with greasy
> > black hair, a hooked nose, and sallow skin."
> > ...none other than snape
> >
> Thank you Jane but again that is described as being hooked not crooked....
> people keep saying crooked but I don't remember that being in the books
just
> hooked. It is references to crooked that I believe both Danse and myself
> are looking for :-)

I have e-book versions of all the HP books so far, in .lit format, which
makes them very easy to search.
Snape's nose is never described as crooked. Dumbledore's nose however, is
*often* described as crooked - I can post quotes if they're wanted.

Myk

Dragon Friend

Jun 2, 2003, 10:20:37 AM6/2/03
"theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

[Snipped]

> But anyway, the fact that alan rickamn has a perfectly fine nose, nice
skin
> and hair. snape on the other hand is describbed as having a hooked nose,
> sallow skin and greasy hair means rickman is too sexy (heh, if i'm allowed
> to call someone pushing sixty that...) for snape! heh. I didn't think of
> any actors for snape (I diidn't know rickman at the time anyway so
wouldn't
> have thought of him) but I think a cleaned up version of the actor who
plays
> filch would have been more how i imagined him...

Alan Rickman does have a slightly hooked or aquiline nose, and if you watch
his other films he does often have jokes made about it, I have even heard
him make a joke about it himself in a film, I think it may be "Michael
Collins" where you also see him in a large ladies hat with feathers on it
and a dark green ladies full length velvet coat... ;-)

> but I'm glad rickman does it tho, cos it seems the films are kinda
obmitting
> the scenes where snape is being plain nasty so it doesn't make much
> difference to me....besides i don't take the films seriusly, just watch it
> for the visual effects.....

Snape has the same sort of sarcastic way with him that Alan Rickman portrays
so well, I think in some cases you are seeing mean in the books instead of
sarcastic. Yes Snape is mean but he does it in a sarcastic way. As for the
films they are omitting so much of Snape that it is hardly surprising they
are also sometimes missing his most sarcastic bits. As others have said JKR
herself picked Alan Rickman and Robbie Coltrane, I have also found
references in the book that would suggest JKR is a Rickman fan, I have also
heard him in an interview say that JKR approached him and pitched the part
to him on several occasions before he accepted, I would say that he is what
her idea of Snape should be and is what she was thinking of when she was
writing the books. Although that may be because I have been a fan of Alan
Rickman's for around 14 years and know a lot about his work ;-)

Dragon Friend

Jun 2, 2003, 10:22:14 AM6/2/03

> Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted
> bbfluv$83a$1...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk :
>
> <snip>
> > Thank you Jane but again that is described as being hooked not
> > crooked.... people keep saying crooked but I don't remember that
> > being in the books just hooked. It is references to crooked that I
> > believe both Danse and myself are looking for :-)
>
> I really don't think snape's nose ever was described as crooked, only
> hooked. Dunbledore's tho has been described as crooked on numerous
occasion
> tho i think....
> so while Dunbledore's might have been broken, i think snape just has a
gross
> nose :)

Hey watch it hooked noses aren't gross.... my dad has a hooked nose.... <G>
Thank you again I was just trying to find out why people keep saying that
Snape has a crooked nose....

Myk

Jun 1, 2003, 10:22:00 AM6/1/03
> >Drusilla has used a couple of IP addresses (200.106.x.x and
> >200.60.x.x) that seem to belong to an organization in Lima Peru. Pawz
> >had an AT&T worldnet IP. Not the same country, highly unlikely to be
> >the same person.
>
> Not if that person is a (rather accomplished) cracker! (A cracker is
> what most people think of as a hacker.) ^_^

No, I think that in this case the person would be described as a hacker - a
"cracker" is someone who "cracks" software, ie removes or spoofs the copy
protection.

Myk

theGreyLady

Jun 2, 2003, 10:26:48 AM6/2/03
Troels Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.dk> owled posted :

<large snip>

> He doesn't look like she envisioned Snape prior to the movies
> <http://www.fictionalley.org/harryandme/profsnape.jpg>

now that pic is more like it! none of rickamn's charm, he's all vampire-y
and great big nose! hmm, come to think of it that pic does look like an
uglier count dracular -perpahps this is support for the theory that snape
might be a vampire...??

Dragon Friend

Jun 2, 2003, 10:29:13 AM6/2/03
"Troels Forchhammer" <Tro...@ThisIsFake.dk> wrote in message
[Snipped].

> >> Besides, it was JKR who requested Alan Rickman to play Snape.
>
> I've heard that she was satisfied with him, but I don't recall
> this - do you have a reference for it?

I have heard Alan Rickman himself say this in a TV interview, in fact he
said she gave him the book and the extra stuff about his character and then
phoned him several times about it before he agreed to play the part. I also
remember seeing her asked at the premier what she thought of him playing
Snape and she said that she had picked both him and Robbie to play their
parts before casting. Unfortunately I do not have any reference for it
being written down or said in a webchat, just what the people themselves
have said on camera.

> >> If that's how she wants Snape to look/sound like, then
> >> I'll go by her vision.
>
> He doesn't look like she envisioned Snape prior to the movies
> <http://www.fictionalley.org/harryandme/profsnape.jpg>

Actually if you make the nose slightly shorter and remove the greasy hair in
her drawing he does look like her vision of Snape, especially the way the
eyebrow is raised

theGreyLady

Jun 2, 2003, 10:33:39 AM6/2/03
Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted:

> "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted
>> bbfluv$83a$1...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk :

<snip>

>> so while Dunbledore's might have been broken, i think snape just has

>> a gross nose :)
>>
> Hey watch it hooked noses aren't gross.... my dad has a hooked
> nose.... <G> Thank you again I was just trying to find out why people
> keep saying that Snape has a crooked nose....

oops! my problem is I can't resist but taking any opportunity to have a go
at snape! hehe.

Dragon Friend

Jun 2, 2003, 10:32:17 AM6/2/03

> Troels Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.dk> owled posted :
>
> <large snip>
> > He doesn't look like she envisioned Snape prior to the movies
> > <http://www.fictionalley.org/harryandme/profsnape.jpg>
>
> now that pic is more like it! none of rickamn's charm, he's all vampire-y
> and great big nose! hmm, come to think of it that pic does look like an
> uglier count dracular -perpahps this is support for the theory that snape
> might be a vampire...??

Don't start that again.... *please*! There is more info in the books that
does not support the Snape Vampire theory....

As I said to Troels if you shorten the nose of the drawing and get rid of
the greasey look to the hair that does look like Rickman has in some films
especially the raised eyebrow which he does a lot especially when he is
being his most sarcastic.

Dragon Friend

Jun 2, 2003, 10:34:41 AM6/2/03
"Myk" <mykl.h...@nospamvirgin.net> wrote in message
Thank you I didn't think it had ever been described as crooked, I was just
confused by so many people claiming that it had been, as far as I remembered
Snape is always described as having a hooked nose or if Harry was feeling
particularly aggrieved he has a big nose ;-)

theGreyLady

Jun 2, 2003, 10:48:05 AM6/2/03
Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted:

> "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>> Troels Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.dk> owled posted :
>>
>> <large snip>
>>> He doesn't look like she envisioned Snape prior to the movies
>>> <http://www.fictionalley.org/harryandme/profsnape.jpg>
>>
>> now that pic is more like it! none of rickamn's charm, he's all
>> vampire-y and great big nose! hmm, come to think of it that pic does
>> look like an uglier count dracular -perpahps this is support for the
>> theory that snape might be a vampire...??
>>
> Don't start that again.... *please*! There is more info in the books
> that does not support the Snape Vampire theory....

hehe, ok ok I concede -Rickman is pretty much how rowling invisioned Snape
(if his skin was less sickly...snape's that is, not rickman's - i had to get
in one last jibe)!

> As I said to Troels if you shorten the nose of the drawing and get
> rid of the greasey look to the hair that does look like Rickman has
> in some films especially the raised eyebrow which he does a lot
> especially when he is being his most sarcastic.

ok, see I never seen rickman in anything before HP so I really didn't know
all this(I think i've only be alive a couple yrs more than you've been a
rickman fan!) so now that I do i'll shut up, bowing humbley to your superior
knowledge :)

> Dragon Friend

theGreyLady

Jun 2, 2003, 10:56:40 AM6/2/03
Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted:

> "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
> [Snipped]

> Alan Rickman does have a slightly hooked or aquiline nose, and if you

> watch his other films he does often have jokes made about it, I have
> even heard him make a joke about it himself in a film, I think it may
> be "Michael Collins" where you also see him in a large ladies hat
> with feathers on it and a dark green ladies full length velvet
> coat... ;-)

This is what finially convinced my the alan rickman was meant to play
snape!! so i went looking for a picture but the film seems about poor irish
ppl http://www.flop.org/arickman/michael_collins.jpg and this is the best
pic of alan i could find....do you know where there's a pic of him dressed
as neville's boggart?. heh, isn't it funny that rickman will have to dress
up in same pecular way twice, years apart, :)

Dragon Friend

Jun 2, 2003, 11:13:46 AM6/2/03

> Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted:
>
> > "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >> Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted
> >> bbfluv$83a$1...@news5.svr.pol.co.uk :
> >>
> <snip>
>
> >> so while Dunbledore's might have been broken, i think snape just has
> >> a gross nose :)
> >>
> > Hey watch it hooked noses aren't gross.... my dad has a hooked
> > nose.... <G> Thank you again I was just trying to find out why people
> > keep saying that Snape has a crooked nose....
>
> oops! my problem is I can't resist but taking any opportunity to have a go
> at snape! hehe.

You leave my Head of House alone.... <G> or I may set my Dragon onto you LOL

Dragon Friend

Jun 2, 2003, 11:18:24 AM6/2/03

> Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted:
>
> > "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > [Snipped]
>
> > Alan Rickman does have a slightly hooked or aquiline nose, and if you
> > watch his other films he does often have jokes made about it, I have
> > even heard him make a joke about it himself in a film, I think it may
> > be "Michael Collins" where you also see him in a large ladies hat
> > with feathers on it and a dark green ladies full length velvet
> > coat... ;-)
>
> This is what finially convinced my the alan rickman was meant to play
> snape!! so i went looking for a picture but the film seems about poor
irish
> ppl http://www.flop.org/arickman/michael_collins.jpg and this is the best
> pic of alan i could find....do you know where there's a pic of him dressed
> as neville's boggart?. heh, isn't it funny that rickman will have to dress
> up in same pecular way twice, years apart, :)

Jane I think I may have one somewhere or be able to find one of Alan dressed
in the Green coat and hat from "Michael Collins" the film is actually about
the birth of the IRA. I can also show you pics of Alan with a DE type mask,
I will send them to you via email when I fins them ;-) I don't think there
are any pictures yet of Alan as Neville's boggart.

Dragon Friend

Jun 2, 2003, 11:21:45 AM6/2/03

> Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted:
>
> > "theGreyLady" <the.gr...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >> Troels Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.dk> owled posted :
> >>
> >> <large snip>
> >>
> >> now that pic is more like it! none of rickamn's charm, he's all
> >> vampire-y and great big nose! hmm, come to think of it that pic does
> >> look like an uglier count dracular -perpahps this is support for the
> >> theory that snape might be a vampire...??
> >>
> > Don't start that again.... *please*! There is more info in the books
> > that does not support the Snape Vampire theory....
>
> hehe, ok ok I concede -Rickman is pretty much how rowling invisioned Snape
> (if his skin was less sickly...snape's that is, not rickman's - i had to
get
> in one last jibe)!

I gathered that.... very... erm.... Slytherin of you <G> What house do you
claim by the way?

> > As I said to Troels if you shorten the nose of the drawing and get
> > rid of the greasey look to the hair that does look like Rickman has
> > in some films especially the raised eyebrow which he does a lot
> > especially when he is being his most sarcastic.
> >

> ok, see I never seen rickman in anything before HP so I really didn't know
> all this(I think i've only be alive a couple yrs more than you've been a
> rickman fan!) so now that I do i'll shut up, bowing humbley to your
superior
> knowledge :)

OK now you have made me feel really old... and I am sure if Mr Rickman ever
reads this he will feel even older.... <G> I will email you a few pics so
you can see what I mean... gives me an excuse to watch a few DvD's again to
do the captures ;-)

theGreyLady

Jun 2, 2003, 11:27:46 AM6/2/03
Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted:

<snip>

> Jane I think I may have one somewhere or be able to find one of Alan
> dressed in the Green coat and hat from "Michael Collins" the film is
> actually about the birth of the IRA. I can also show you pics of
> Alan with a DE type mask, I will send them to you via email when I
> fins them ;-)

thanks so much! I look forward to them :-)

>I don't think there are any pictures yet of Alan as
> Neville's boggart.

I meant Neville's boggart once it had been ridickkulus-ed, in the similar
clothes to his granny's...

> Dragon Friend

theGreyLady

Jun 2, 2003, 12:02:06 PM6/2/03
Dragon Friend <Slyt...@Hogwarts.edu> owled posted:

<snip>

> I gathered that.... very... erm.... Slytherin of you <G> What house
> do you claim by the way?

well i don't know about house there are bits off all the houses that i
like... the slytherin colours happen to be my favorite (green and
grey/silver), but I can't see myself surviving in a house where people "will
do anything to archieve their ends"... though I'd like to say gyrffindor I
am scared of all non 2 legged creatures and many other things to boot so not
very brave :(.
When I was younger perhaps I was more of a natural ravenclaw but not anymore
me thinks, so I guess that just leaves hufflepuff....<sobs uncontrollably>
But if I could just choose I would claim Gryffindor though I really really
do not like red or gold as far as colours go....

> OK now you have made me feel really old... and I am sure if Mr

sorry! how old are you if you don't mind my asking?

> Rickman ever reads this he will feel even older.... <G> I will email

hehe.

> you a few pics so you can see what I mean... gives me an excuse to
> watch a few DvD's again to do the captures ;-)

thanks again.

It is loading more messages.