Mormont Tells the Boys and Girls How To Talk about Rape

Platypus

Nov 18, 2023, 6:21:14 PM11/18/23
Here's a post from the Westeros.org website, where the mighty moderator mormont lectures the boys, girls and assorted peasants how we may or may not discuss the topic of rape. It is followed by archived links to the entire thread, preserved for posterity before it can be altered or removed.

It seems to me that mormont's post is (sorry for the wokespeak) a bit "problematic". Not sure if anyone is still here, but if you are, please let me know if you see the problems I see. And if nobody is here, well, I'm just preserving it for posterity.
--------------------------------------x
[mod] Since it has come up, I want to offer a reminder/clarification on the topic of rape, specifically.

Rape occurs in the books and so there will, inevitably, be some discussion of rape on the board. However, it is a sensitive subject and we expect users to approach it as such. The board is public, every thread is read by more than those posting in it, and so your words may be read by those who have been victims of rape and sexual assault. They should be written with that in mind.

We don't expect to see people bickering and arguing over definitions of rape as if it was an intellectual exercise, not a real life trauma, for example. That is crass and insensitive.

We also ask you to bear in mind that whatever you believe about 'medieval' attitudes to rape - a much more varied and complicated topic than most of those who bring it up usually seem to understand - these books aren't about medieval Europe. Westeros is a fantasy setting, written by a modern writer for a modern audience. Whatever you think medieval people 'would have' thought, you are talking to and in front of modern people, not medieval people. The idea that you should or that the author intends you to 'disconnect' yourself from modern morality in reading these books is pernicious and silly. Don't do that. It will lead you into discussing the topic in a way that is inconsiderate of other users. And that will lead to you getting into trouble with the moderators.

Hopefully, that is clear, but if anyone has any questions they can PM me. If they want to argue about it, please don't bother. This is the position we take after years of experience - you have nothing to say we haven't heard before.

Thank you. [/mod]

/web/20231118230732/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/163471-where-is-this-idea-that-tyrion-was-good-in-the-first-3-books-coming-from-when-the-vast-majority-of-bad-things-he-has-done-happen-in-them/

/web/20231118230405/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/163471-where-is-this-idea-that-tyrion-was-good-in-the-first-3-books-coming-from-when-the-vast-majority-of-bad-things-he-has-done-happen-in-them/page/2/#comments

/web/20231118225542/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/163471-where-is-this-idea-that-tyrion-was-good-in-the-first-3-books-coming-from-when-the-vast-majority-of-bad-things-he-has-done-happen-in-them/page/3/#comments

/web/20231118225213/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/163471-where-is-this-idea-that-tyrion-was-good-in-the-first-3-books-coming-from-when-the-vast-majority-of-bad-things-he-has-done-happen-in-them/page/4/#comments