"To Suppress Free Speech is a Double Wrong".

Platypus

Apr 24, 2022, 7:39:47 PM4/24/22
GRRM will never finish Wind of Winter, but at least he can quote Frederick Douglass in support of the principle of Free Speech, in his "Words for Our Times" not-a-blog post dated 4/23/22.

And for once I approve, for that principle is dear to my heart.

But what recent events does he have in mind? Is he thinking of Elon Musk's wrestling match with Twitter? Does he support Musk's takeover? Or does he consider Musk a threat to free speech, because he is not progressive enough? It is anyone's guess. Is there some other present free speech controversy that I have overlooked? I'm sure there is, for such rights are being violated all the time in all kinds of contexts.

If GRRM wants to be really brave, perhaps he should issue a public statement supporting J.K. Rowlings right to continue to use the dictionary definition of "woman" if she wishes.

Platypus

Apr 24, 2022, 9:43:42 PM4/24/22
In the past GRRM has described himself as a "free speech absolutist". But in context, if often seems to be that what he primarily has in mind is the right to write naughty bits in his books; and the right to show nipples on television.

For instance, I saw one interview where he was going off on American culture because of the (fake?) sensation about some boring nip slip at the Super Bowl, which he thinks should be no big deal because Italy has had nude statues for 1000s of years. It occurs to me, though, that there might be a distinction between a nude statue and a live nude show, which might have some connection to potential for harm or incurred on real people. The ancient Greeks had nude statutes of women, but would not allow women to perform in plays no matter how much they had on.

Not saying superbowl nip slips are a big deal this day and age. But surely there are more important issues for a "free speech abolutist" to concern himself about.