AFfC: Genna Frey's gossip

vecki

Jan 16, 2006, 10:28:41 PM1/16/06
*delurks*

I don't expect anyone here to remember me, I've poked my head up a time
or two over the last year or so, but anyway, something minor that's
been bugging me about AFfC.

Spoilers ahead, if you haven't read AFfC, you know what to do. READ
THE BLOODY BOOK!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Genna (Gemma?) Frey, sister of Tywin Lannister and wife of the paper
waving Emmon Frey, says to Jaime something along the lines of 'You look
like Gerion and Tyg (Lannister), but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you.'
(I don't have my book here to get the exact quote happening)

I've been debating since I read that whether she meant it literally
(Joanna did the dirty on Tywin) or figuratively (Tyrion is just more
like Tywin than Jaime).

I haven't seen any mention of it in my skimreading of this group, is
there an agreement about what she meant?

~*~
vecki

Peter Wright

Jan 16, 2006, 11:30:01 PM1/16/06
vecki <vecs...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> *delurks*

> I don't expect anyone here to remember me, I've poked my head up a time
> or two over the last year or so, but anyway, something minor that's
> been bugging me about AFfC.

> Spoilers ahead, if you haven't read AFfC, you know what to do. READ
> THE BLOODY BOOK!
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> Genna (Gemma?) Frey, sister of Tywin Lannister and wife of the paper
> waving Emmon Frey, says to Jaime something along the lines of 'You
> look like Gerion and Tyg (Lannister), but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not
> you.' (I don't have my book here to get the exact quote happening)

> I've been debating since I read that whether she meant it literally
> (Joanna did the dirty on Tywin) or figuratively (Tyrion is just more
> like Tywin than Jaime).

Figuratively, IMO. I honestly don't think there should be any
reasonable doubt on this point.

> I haven't seen any mention of it in my skimreading of this group, is
> there an agreement about what she meant?

I don't think it has been discussed, no. We'll probably go over it
again in more detail once we get to it in CHOWs, but for now...

...well, I'd say it's just that she meant Tyrion is more like Tywin
than Jaime.

Remember, this is just after she'd been going on about what a brother
Tywin was - how he spoke out against her betrothal (at seven) to Emmon
Frey when he was only ten. How he'd been the strongest (mentally) and
cast such a huge shadow over his younger siblings. How fearsome he
could be when he had (perceived) grudges or issues to avenge - ie.
"debts" to pay.

Then she said to Jaime that while he had many good qualities of his
uncles (especially Kevan, I think), it was _Tyrion_ that had Tywin's
qualities.

Presumably the bad[0] along with the good. And that's why she said she
should fear him (Tyrion) the most.

> vecki

Pete.

[0] Remember that Genna would believe that Tyrion killed Joffrey at
this point - and she probably wouldn't have known Joff well enough
to realise that offing Joff would be a service to the realm.
--
http://flooble.net/blog
I'm a pacifist, and if you don't believe me, I'm going to beat you up.

Ilya the Recusant

Jan 17, 2006, 1:19:37 AM1/17/06
In a not so bright galaxy nowhere near intelligent space, Peter Wright

What Pete said. It's also a very moving passage, I might add.

>> I haven't seen any mention of it in my skimreading of this group, is
>> there an agreement about what she meant?
>
>I don't think it has been discussed, no. We'll probably go over it
>again in more detail once we get to it in CHOWs, but for now...
>

>...well, I'd say it's just that she meant Tyrion is more like Tywin
>than Jaime.

Agreed.

>Remember, this is just after she'd been going on about what a brother
>Tywin was - how he spoke out against her betrothal (at seven) to Emmon
>Frey when he was only ten. How he'd been the strongest (mentally) and
>cast such a huge shadow over his younger siblings. How fearsome he
>could be when he had (perceived) grudges or issues to avenge - ie.
>"debts" to pay.
>
>Then she said to Jaime that while he had many good qualities of his
>uncles (especially Kevan, I think), it was _Tyrion_ that had Tywin's
>qualities.
>
>Presumably the bad[0] along with the good. And that's why she said she
>should fear him (Tyrion) the most.

I also agree.

>> vecki
>
>Pete.
>
>[0] Remember that Genna would believe that Tyrion killed Joffrey at
> this point - and she probably wouldn't have known Joff well enough
> to realise that offing Joff would be a service to the realm.

Ilya the Recusant
-----------------
"Asshole" has a special place in my childhood, the point at which I
first learned that typical Americans were assholes.
- C&J
----
www.livejournal.com/users/ohilya

John Vreeland

Jan 17, 2006, 8:01:58 AM1/17/06
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:19:37 -0500, Ilya the Recusant
<q...@deadspam.net> opined:

It is fun to suppose that Aerys might be their father (especially
given Cersei's behavior) but in the absence of any other evidence the
verdict has to be not guilty. If Jaime and Cersei turned out to be
Aerys's children then Martin would still have a lot of explaining to
do.

Still, Aerys was a twisted monster and liked to humiliate Tywin in all
sorts of petty ways, so it's not entirely implausible, merely
unlikely. Lady Joanna would have had to keep it a secret but given
that the alternative would be war it seems reasonable.

--
My credentials? I have good karma on Slashdot.
---John Vreeland (Vreejack)

Ilya the Recusant

Jan 17, 2006, 10:22:58 AM1/17/06
In a not so bright galaxy nowhere near intelligent space, John

It would be most random and sudden.

Just like making Jon some long lost prince, I suppose.

Chucky & Janica

Jan 17, 2006, 11:14:50 AM1/17/06
Once upon a time - for example, 16 Jan 2006 19:28:41 -0800 - there was
this guy, or something, called "vecki" <vecs...@hotmail.com>, and
they made us all feel better by saying the following stuff:

>*delurks*

Blargh! *drops coffee on self*

Don't do that right next to a person! Fuck's sake, what's wrong with
you?

*wipes pants with sleeve*

>I don't expect anyone here to remember me, I've poked my head up a time
>or two over the last year or so, but anyway, something minor that's
>been bugging me about AFfC.

Bugging, eh?

>Spoilers ahead, if you haven't read AFfC, you know what to do. READ
>THE BLOODY BOOK!
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>Genna (Gemma?) Frey, sister of Tywin Lannister and wife of the paper
>waving Emmon Frey, says to Jaime something along the lines of 'You look
>like Gerion and Tyg (Lannister), but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you.'
>(I don't have my book here to get the exact quote happening)

Oh no. I know what's coming. Damn my spidey-sense.

>I've been debating since I read that whether she meant it literally

Argh!

>(Joanna did the dirty on Tywin) or figuratively (Tyrion is just more
>like Tywin than Jaime).
>
>I haven't seen any mention of it in my skimreading of this group, is
>there an agreement about what she meant?

Figurative. Because Tyrion did a whole lot of bad shit and walked
away. Just like Tywin used to.

And Jaime's public face was all dashing and slick, while Tywin was a
sort of unapologetic, scheming psychopath. Sort of like everybody
thinks Tyrion is.

C&J

--
Beware of Trojans, they're complete smegheads.

- 13 & 13b of 12, the CMM Collective.
- www.afrj-monkeyhouse.org

Chucky & Janica

Jan 17, 2006, 11:17:30 AM1/17/06
Once upon a time - for example, Tue, 17 Jan 2006 04:30:01 GMT - there
was this guy, or something, called Peter Wright <pe...@flooble.net>,

and they made us all feel better by saying the following stuff:

>[0] Remember that Genna would believe that Tyrion killed Joffrey at

> this point - and she probably wouldn't have known Joff well enough
> to realise that offing Joff would be a service to the realm.

*nod*

My thoughts exactly. Well, not exactly. Mine were more
cleverly-worded. I think.

Anyway, I think the point was that Genna was criticising Tyrion, or at
least saying he was like Tywin in the bad sense of the term, for the
purposes of that conversation.

Of course, there has been speculation that Tyrion is somebody else's
son. We think it is stupid speculation, but oh well. I don't think
Genna would suggest anything like that to Jaime, even if it was true.

John Vreeland

Jan 17, 2006, 8:50:20 PM1/17/06
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:22:58 -0500, Ilya the Recusant
<q...@deadspam.net> opined:

Uh, no. That one is so obvious and expected that having it turn out
wrong would be random and sudden. Or close to it, anyway

John Vreeland

Jan 17, 2006, 9:53:53 PM1/17/06
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:17:30 +0200, Chucky & Janica
<janica...@kolumbus.finland> opined:

>Once upon a time - for example, Tue, 17 Jan 2006 04:30:01 GMT - there
>was this guy, or something, called Peter Wright <pe...@flooble.net>,
>and they made us all feel better by saying the following stuff:
>
>>[0] Remember that Genna would believe that Tyrion killed Joffrey at
>> this point - and she probably wouldn't have known Joff well enough
>> to realise that offing Joff would be a service to the realm.
>
>*nod*
>
>My thoughts exactly. Well, not exactly. Mine were more
>cleverly-worded. I think.
>
>Anyway, I think the point was that Genna was criticising Tyrion, or at
>least saying he was like Tywin in the bad sense of the term, for the
>purposes of that conversation.
>
>Of course, there has been speculation that Tyrion is somebody else's
>son. We think it is stupid speculation, but oh well. I don't think
>Genna would suggest anything like that to Jaime, even if it was true.

No, that was just me waving a red lutefisk.

I never really believed that Tyrion was not Tywin's son. Well, not
for more than a week, anyway, but I thought the speculation was
original.

Aaron F. Bourque

Jan 17, 2006, 10:22:20 PM1/17/06
John Vreeland wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:22:58 -0500, Ilya the Recusant
> <q...@deadspam.net> opined:

<random and sudden>

> >Just like making Jon some long lost prince, I suppose.
>
> Uh, no. That one is so obvious and expected that having it turn out
> wrong would be random and sudden.

Or original.

>Or close to it, anyway

Or intelligent.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

ConquerorMarr

Jan 17, 2006, 10:25:17 PM1/17/06

vecki wrote:

> Genna (Gemma?) Frey, sister of Tywin Lannister and wife of the paper
> waving Emmon Frey, says to Jaime something along the lines of 'You look
> like Gerion and Tyg (Lannister), but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you.'
> (I don't have my book here to get the exact quote happening)
>
> I've been debating since I read that whether she meant it literally
> (Joanna did the dirty on Tywin) or figuratively (Tyrion is just more
> like Tywin than Jaime).
>
> I haven't seen any mention of it in my skimreading of this group, is
> there an agreement about what she meant?
>
> ~*~
> vecki

Personally, one of the things I really liked about AFfC was the way
Tywin was fleshed out. Sure, he is still a cold, distant asshole, but
I think that the reflections of his family helped explain how he wound
up that way. Genna's point is particularly well taken. Bugger killing
Joffrey, Tyrion and Tywin both have strong senses of duty and a
ruthless streak to achieve their ends. Also, both hate being laughed
at. For Tywin, the solution was simply to be so ruthless that no one
would dare laugh at him, for Tyrion, he made his weakness a strength so
that others could not use it against him (much like what he said to
Jon, I really want to see those two together again, they were an
interesting pair).

Chucky & Janica

Jan 18, 2006, 12:31:37 PM1/18/06
Once upon a time - for example, 17 Jan 2006 19:25:17 -0800 - there was
this guy, or something, called "ConquerorMarr"
<conque...@gmail.com>, and they made us all feel better by saying
the following stuff:

>Personally, one of the things I really liked about AFfC was the way

>Tywin was fleshed out. Sure, he is still a cold, distant asshole, but
>I think that the reflections of his family helped explain how he wound
>up that way. Genna's point is particularly well taken. Bugger killing
>Joffrey, Tyrion and Tywin both have strong senses of duty and a
>ruthless streak to achieve their ends. Also, both hate being laughed
>at. For Tywin, the solution was simply to be so ruthless that no one
>would dare laugh at him, for Tyrion, he made his weakness a strength so
>that others could not use it against him (much like what he said to
>Jon, I really want to see those two together again, they were an
>interesting pair).

I agree, I really liked to see Tyrion cutting verbal strips off Jon.
It's a pity he was too much of a little softie to do it to Sansa very
much.

I concur with your remarks about Tywin, it was good to get more
information on him, especially since - for me - the new information
didn't so much change my original opinion of him, as add seasoning to
it. Boy, am I ever glad that fuckhole is dead.

Penelope Periwinkle

Jan 18, 2006, 10:50:29 PM1/18/06
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:31:37 +0200, Chucky & Janica
<janica...@kolumbus.finland> wrote:

>I concur with your remarks about Tywin, it was good to get more
>information on him, especially since - for me - the new information
>didn't so much change my original opinion of him, as add seasoning to
>it. Boy, am I ever glad that fuckhole is dead.

You know, I'm as glad as the next condescending jackass that
Tywin is dead, but I wish Tyrion had killed him earlier or a bit
later. Earlier and the Red Wedding might not have happened, later
and Cersei might have been sent home or married off, and Tommen
might have had a chance.

Poor Tommen, he seems a nice enough child despite his mother and
older brother; I wish he could take the black.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn" <eli...@everybodycansing.com>

Penelope Periwinkle

Jan 18, 2006, 10:56:37 PM1/18/06
On 16 Jan 2006 19:28:41 -0800, "vecki" <vecs...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Genna (Gemma?) Frey, sister of Tywin Lannister and wife of the paper
>waving Emmon Frey, says to Jaime something along the lines of 'You look
>like Gerion and Tyg (Lannister), but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you.'
>(I don't have my book here to get the exact quote happening)
>
>I've been debating since I read that whether she meant it literally
>(Joanna did the dirty on Tywin) or figuratively (Tyrion is just more
>like Tywin than Jaime).

That Tyrion is more like Tywin than Jaime.

What I wondered was, what did Genna do to disappoint Tywin?

She said:

"It was not a game for girls. I was my father's precious
princess...and Tywin's too until I disappointed him. My brother
never learned to like the taste of disappointment."

Chucky & Janica

Jan 19, 2006, 1:34:15 PM1/19/06
Once upon a time - for example, Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:56:37 -0500 -
there was this guy, or something, called Penelope Periwinkle
<pperi...@mindspring.com>, and they made us all feel better by
saying the following stuff:

>What I wondered was, what did Genna do to disappoint Tywin?

>She said:
>
>"It was not a game for girls. I was my father's precious
>princess...and Tywin's too until I disappointed him. My brother
>never learned to like the taste of disappointment."

Hmm, good question. I thought it was being a girl, and having to marry
some clod and weakening herself significantly for one of their dad's
soft political reasons.

But it might also be something interesting.

Jenny Chase

Jan 21, 2006, 6:20:57 AM1/21/06
>That Tyrion is more like Tywin than Jaime.

A smart woman, Lady Genna.

>What I wondered was, what did Genna do to disappoint Tywin?

I wondered if it was having useless children? It doesn't really ring
true though.

The Freys were initially with the North against the Lannisters. Could
Tywin have been disappointed in Genna for not preventing this, when she
was married to a Frey?

Given he spoke out against the marriage, could he have suggested Genna
do something about it, rather than spending all her life married to an
imbecile?

Jenny

Peter Wright

Jan 21, 2006, 9:36:07 AM1/21/06
Jenny Chase <pavann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >That Tyrion is more like Tywin than Jaime.
>
> A smart woman, Lady Genna.

I get the impression that there's more than a few other non-stupid
Lannisters. Though Tyrion seems a standout by any measure.

> >What I wondered was, what did Genna do to disappoint Tywin?

> I wondered if it was having useless children? It doesn't really ring
> true though.

She said herself that Tywin got pissed at her when she told him that
Tyrion was more like him than any others. I think that was the bit
where he didn't speak to her for a year or so.

I wonder if she told him that before or after Tyrion's "lesson".

But I'm not sure that that was the first or only time she
"disappointed" him. The impression I get is that he couldn't handle it
when she made observations about him he didn't like.

> The Freys were initially with the North against the Lannisters.
> Could Tywin have been disappointed in Genna for not preventing this,
> when she was married to a Frey?

The impression I got was that the "disappointment(s)" happened much
earlier.

> Given he spoke out against the marriage, could he have suggested
> Genna do something about it, rather than spending all her life
> married to an imbecile?

Heh. I wouldn't have put it past Tywin to, when he was Hand, do his
best to arrange for Genna's Frey husband (Edwyn?) to lead a
particularly incompetent company or two into battle. Much like what he
set up for Tyrion and his wild men.

But he probably didn't. After all, if Tywin really wanted Edywn Frey
dead, he'd be dead.

> Jenny

Welcome back. Hope the geese are doing well. :)

Pete.
--
http://flooble.net/blog
DWIM - Do What I Meant. It describes Perl's sometimes uncanny ability

pointed

Jan 22, 2006, 1:32:06 AM1/22/06

vecki wrote:
> *delurks*

> Genna (Gemma?) Frey, sister of Tywin Lannister and wife of the paper
> waving Emmon Frey, says to Jaime something along the lines of 'You look
> like Gerion and Tyg (Lannister), but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you.'
> (I don't have my book here to get the exact quote happening)
>
> I've been debating since I read that whether she meant it literally
> (Joanna did the dirty on Tywin) or figuratively (Tyrion is just more
> like Tywin than Jaime).
>
> I haven't seen any mention of it in my skimreading of this group, is
> there an agreement about what she meant?
>
> ~*~
> vecki

She meant it figuratively; there is no doubt in my mind, really. She
meant that Tyrion is the "spiritual son" of his father more than Jaime.
She is correct; Tyrion matches Tywin in brains and sheer, unadulterated
brass balls, though he seems to have far more scruples. Jaime appears
to be changing a great deal, though. Losing his sword hand seems to
have forced some reassessment. I was shocked (and impressed) when he
abandoned Cersei. I get a real kick out of that woman's name. Anybody
remember another Circe? BTW, who wants to bet that Brienne and Jaime
end up together?

Best,

Kate

John Vreeland

Jan 22, 2006, 3:08:34 PM1/22/06
Peter Wright wrote:

> Heh. I wouldn't have put it past Tywin to, when he was Hand, do his
> best to arrange for Genna's Frey husband (Edwyn?) to lead a
> particularly incompetent company or two into battle. Much like what he
> set up for Tyrion and his wild men.
>
> But he probably didn't. After all, if Tywin really wanted Edywn Frey
> dead, he'd be dead.

It comes perilously close to kinslaying, killing his nephew's father.
Not that Tywin gives a damn about the gods, but if word somehow leaked
out he might might find his precious reputation badly smeared.

ConquerorMarr

Jan 22, 2006, 10:57:35 PM1/22/06

pointed wrote:
> Tyrion matches Tywin in brains and sheer, unadulterated
> brass balls, though he seems to have far more scruples.

Tywin had his scruples, he did not seem the type to do things he did
not consider himself duty bound to do. Admittedly, his sense of duty
includes sponsering masacres and slaughters, but I got the feeling that
he simply felt his House was all important. Even the many terrible
things he did to Tyrion were justifiable (by weird logic) by the fact
that Tyrion "killed" his wife, who he seems to have loved dearly.

Penelope Periwinkle

Jan 22, 2006, 10:58:33 PM1/22/06
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:36:07 GMT, Peter Wright <pe...@flooble.net>
wrote:
>Jenny Chase <pavann...@gmail.com> wrote:
<...>

>> >What I wondered was, what did Genna do to disappoint Tywin?
>
>> I wondered if it was having useless children? It doesn't really ring
>> true though.
>
>She said herself that Tywin got pissed at her when she told him that
>Tyrion was more like him than any others. I think that was the bit
>where he didn't speak to her for a year or so.
>
>I wonder if she told him that before or after Tyrion's "lesson".
>
>But I'm not sure that that was the first or only time she
>"disappointed" him. The impression I get is that he couldn't handle it
>when she made observations about him he didn't like.
>
>> The Freys were initially with the North against the Lannisters.
>> Could Tywin have been disappointed in Genna for not preventing this,
>> when she was married to a Frey?
>
>The impression I got was that the "disappointment(s)" happened much
>earlier.

Yeah, me too. It could have just been a throw away line, but
we're slowly getting more bits and pieces of Lannister history,
so it made me wonder.

>> Given he spoke out against the marriage, could he have suggested
>> Genna do something about it, rather than spending all her life
>> married to an imbecile?

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the whore his father
took as a mistress after their mother died. What if she
befriended Genna? What if Genna didn't want Tywin to kill the
woman?

I can't remember the timeline, how old were Tywin and Genna when
their mother died? Was Genna still home or was she already
married?

>Heh. I wouldn't have put it past Tywin to, when he was Hand, do his
>best to arrange for Genna's Frey husband (Edwyn?) to lead a
>particularly incompetent company or two into battle. Much like what he
>set up for Tyrion and his wild men.

But, if he was disappointed with her for marrying him, wouldn't
he just leave her to her fate?

Chucky & Janica

Jan 23, 2006, 10:00:54 AM1/23/06
Once upon a time - for example, 22 Jan 2006 19:57:35 -0800 - there was
this guy, or something, called "ConquerorMarr"
<conque...@gmail.com>, and they made us all feel better by saying
the following stuff:

>> Tyrion matches Tywin in brains and sheer, unadulterated

Yes, among other things, such as Tyrion bringing shame on the house by
a multitude of other "crimes".

Even Tywin's intelligence is undoubtable, seen through that particular
lens. Considering the opinions he had and the judgements he was making
his decisions based on, you can argue that he was a dumbass, or you
can argue that he was, within his framework, quite smart.

I think it was a pretty specialised framework. It worked for him far
longer than I would have expected it to. And it got results. Mainly
Tyrion shooting him while he was on the crapper. That was a good
result.

John Vreeland

Jan 25, 2006, 8:29:42 AM1/25/06
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:00:54 +0200, Chucky & Janica
<janica...@kolumbus.finland> opined:

Tywin's "lens" consisted of three parts: he did not want to be laughed
at, Tyrion was some sort of curse sent by the gods to punish him for
being happy, and Jaime and Cersei were his perfect children.

As for scruples? Tywin practiced the illusion of honor. As long as
no one was laughing at him I don't think he gave a fig what they
thought. Getting caught with a whore would be an occasion for
laughter, but getting caught sponsoring the Red Wedding would not.

Chucky & Janica

Jan 25, 2006, 12:40:53 PM1/25/06
Once upon a time - for example, Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:29:42 -0500 -
there was this guy, or something, called John Vreeland
<vree...@hotmail.com>, and they made us all feel better by saying the
following stuff:

>>Yes, among other things, such as Tyrion bringing shame on the house by

>>a multitude of other "crimes".
>>
>>Even Tywin's intelligence is undoubtable, seen through that particular
>>lens. Considering the opinions he had and the judgements he was making
>>his decisions based on, you can argue that he was a dumbass, or you
>>can argue that he was, within his framework, quite smart.
>>
>>I think it was a pretty specialised framework. It worked for him far
>>longer than I would have expected it to. And it got results. Mainly
>>Tyrion shooting him while he was on the crapper. That was a good
>>result.
>
>Tywin's "lens" consisted of three parts: he did not want to be laughed
>at, Tyrion was some sort of curse sent by the gods to punish him for
>being happy, and Jaime and Cersei were his perfect children.

Agreed.

>As for scruples? Tywin practiced the illusion of honor. As long as
>no one was laughing at him I don't think he gave a fig what they
>thought. Getting caught with a whore would be an occasion for
>laughter, but getting caught sponsoring the Red Wedding would not.

*nod*

He was a charmer.

Stephen

Jan 27, 2006, 2:48:55 PM1/27/06

There was a war. Or should we suppose that Tywin went to war with the
Starks out of the kindness of his heart?

Aaron F. Bourque

Jan 27, 2006, 5:58:53 PM1/27/06
Stephen wrote:

> John Vreeland wrote:
>
> > It is fun to suppose that Aerys might be their father (especially
> > given Cersei's behavior) but in the absence of any other evidence the
> > verdict has to be not guilty. If Jaime and Cersei turned out to be
> > Aerys's children then Martin would still have a lot of explaining to
> > do.
> >
> > Still, Aerys was a twisted monster and liked to humiliate Tywin in all
> > sorts of petty ways, so it's not entirely implausible, merely
> > unlikely. Lady Joanna would have had to keep it a secret but given
> > that the alternative would be war it seems reasonable.
>
> There was a war. Or should we suppose that Tywin went to war with the
> Starks out of the kindness of his heart?

Wrong war, Stephen.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; Pay attention, Dave.

Stephen

Jan 29, 2006, 1:18:42 PM1/29/06

I meant, *with* the Starks, not *against* the Starks. As in, alongside
them. Against Aerys. Who has been posited to be sleeping with Joanna.

John Vreeland

Jan 30, 2006, 4:26:38 PM1/30/06
On 29 Jan 2006 10:18:42 -0800, "Stephen" <sdb...@gmail.com> opined:

Tywin already had enough reasons to hate Aerys. He left his position
as Hand because of a long and continuous stream of slights and abuses,
topped by Jaime being appointed to the Kingsguard. He loved Jaime and
gave no sign that he thought anything other than that he was Jaime's
father. As for Tyrion, however, he would probably be relieved to
discover the Aerys really was that one's father.

But Tywin never really "joined the starks." He did an important job
fort Robert, that is all.

Herb Schaltegger

Jan 30, 2006, 4:49:22 PM1/30/06
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:26:38 -0600, John Vreeland wrote
(in article <6g0tt15majkjteaat...@4ax.com>):

> On 29 Jan 2006 10:18:42 -0800, "Stephen" <sdb...@gmail.com> opined:
>

>> I meant, *with* the Starks, not *against* the Starks. As in, alongside
>> them. Against Aerys. Who has been posited to be sleeping with Joanna.
>
> Tywin already had enough reasons to hate Aerys. He left his position
> as Hand because of a long and continuous stream of slights and abuses,
> topped by Jaime being appointed to the Kingsguard. He loved Jaime and
> gave no sign that he thought anything other than that he was Jaime's
> father. As for Tyrion, however, he would probably be relieved to
> discover the Aerys really was that one's father.
>
> But Tywin never really "joined the starks." He did an important job
> fort Robert, that is all.

And he was very late to that party, by all accounts.

--
Herb

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
~ RAH

John Vreeland

Jan 30, 2006, 9:35:40 PM1/30/06

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

> > But Tywin never really "joined the starks." He did an important job
> > fort Robert, that is all.
> >

> And he was very late to that party, by all accounts.

He had to be careful. His son was effectively a hostage of the king,
and you saw what Aerys did to his other hostages. Tywin could have
gone running to back to the throne at any time to say "Hello I was just
passing by. Any news?" and hint that he might be willing to help, but
he never did. That in itself speaks volumes. He waited until the last
second because acting sooner might cost him his son, but it eventually
got to the point that not acting would cost him his son, as Jaime would
be expected to protect the king against Robert, Jon and Ned.

So Tywin cut his schedule as closely as he dared. He knew he had to
beat Ned Stark to King's Landing to save Jaime, and once Rhaegar fell
he knew he had to prove his loyalty to Robert. Fortunately, there was
a way to do that. Everyone knew Tywin was a latecomer, but once he did
he showed Robert that he was not going to change sides. The new king
was satisfied with that.

Stephen

Feb 1, 2006, 1:10:57 PM2/1/06

That summary doesn't sound like a Lannister plot, and certainly seems a
little thin for something that Tywin planned. While he was certainly
scheming a way to get Jaime out of the kingsguard, he had absolutely no
way to secure Jaime's safety so he would have ignored it. Tywin didn't
really worry about things beyond his power.

He also couldn't know how Aerys would take the news that a Lannister
army was bearing down on the city. Aerys could have *actually* taken
Jaime hostage, (i.e. dungeon-time) if he had thought that it would
matter to Tywin. Surely King's Landing had word of the approaching army
when it was on the march, but even if the Lannisters showed up at the
gates one morning by surprise then there's still plenty of time for
Aerys to exact some revenge on Jaime.

The fact that Aerys didn't do a thing to Jaime, and even left him in a
key position of power while he set his "Scorched Landing" plan in
motion is very intriguing. Did Aerys trust Jaime? Did Aerys think that
Jaime would do (or could do) nothing?

While we're back in KL on that fateful night. I'd be really keen to get
a minute-to-minute account of the night. What did Jaime do after
killing the pyromancer and king, just sit on the throne until Ned
arrived? Did he really not think of protecting Ellia and the children
even though his vows demanded it? (Spare me any kingslayers vows are
worthless.)

I think Tywin was in more contact with Jaime up to the attack than we
have been led to believe.