GAWS

1 view

Otto Steig

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
I know that this post is quiet long... but there
are a few things about GAWS and GA that made me think
and I would like to know what YOU think about it.

1. I recognized that since GAWS became the official
GA website it's not about her anymore but about the
films that she is working on. To me it looks like
a commercial website to do promotion for GA.
Cynthia even calls people to go to her movies and
buy the posters she is on. Maybe she is not payed
by GA or her agents to run the website but I'm pretty
sure she receives some "special treatment" which is far
beyond of what usual "fans" get. As Cynthia said on this
newsgroup she spoke to GAs hairdresser on "The X-Files"
which indicates me that Cynthia has special access to
"The X-Files" production. Coincidence ??

2. On GAWS it says that there is no link between
GAWS and GA. Cynthia even says that she doesn't have
her phone number or address or anything. But how is it
possible to quote GAs "auction call" on GAWS if she is
not related to the website?
Obviously Cynthia got an email from GA !! (It's ok if
you don't want to tell her email address but you should
not lie.)
Or maybe is it also coincidence ??

4. If it's not coincidence, how did Cynthia get those
connections to GA? I think it's because she is also the
webmistress of the NF Inc. Yes you heard it right. GAs
mom is running the NF support group in Michigan and
Cynthia is working for this organisation.
So the link is there ! Or maybe not ??

5. How is it possible to call a webpage the "official GA
website" without the express permission of the names
owner (GA)?

6. I personally think its tasteless that GA calls her fans
to "... start saving your pennies..." (that's what she says
on GAWS). She doesn't tell people what is done with the
money. All that we know is that it goes to the organisation
that she and her mom supports. She also says that "... on the
last [auction] we raised approx. $24,000 for NF INC."
Well Gillie if you would sell your silver Porsche, or your
multi million dollar house in Canada you could spent much more
money to this organisation than you are asking us to do. And
if you would give away just one quarter of your annual earned
money you would still have enough money for you and your
daughter (for the rest of your lifes) and you wouldn't have to
ask people (that you don't know) to give you their money.
Maybe she should read something by Emanuel Kant. He basically
said "Don't do things to others that you don't want them to
do to you".

7. Gillian is payed by 10/30 productions.
They get their money from Fox TV.
They get their money from the companies which buy airtimes
for their commercials. (They broadcast commercials 24 hours a
day and in between of the commercials they broadcast series coz
otherwise noone would watch the adds).
Those companies get their money from the people who buy their
products (the product price includes the money for the commercials).
And because of those adds we buy their products.
So basically WE pay Gillian !!
So if Gillian would give a little bit of that money away she also
wouldn't have to ask us to do it !!

8. Of course Gillian knows that there is a huge GA market out their.
Any product (even calls for donations) attached to her name brings
a lot of money back !! We all remember what happend when "illegal"
published calendars with her pictures in it were shown on TV. She got
pissed because she lost money. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't even notice
it if she would have get the money coz that's just peanuts to her.

9. My opinion is that Gillian is not Scully. But people just see
Scully in her. I think we should reminde ourselfes that Scully is
a fiction ... just ink on a piece of paper .... No one would set up
an official website for GA for her role in "The Turning" because it's a
lousy script. But Cynthia did it for "Scully" because there is a huge
market out there.... Maybe it wasn't her intention when GAWS went
online.
But now things seemed to change. Or am I wrong?

Otto Steig

P.S.:
I'm pretty sure a lot people want to be on the set of "The X-Files"
"... so start saving your pennies..." and ....

Mari

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
Otto Steig wrote:

> 1. I recognized that since GAWS became the official
> GA website it's not about her anymore but about the
> films that she is working on.

That is not true. What about her tv appearances...and magazines with her
interviews and pictures...and her charitable causes...and her activities
outside of "The X-Files?" In short, GAWS continues to keep everyone (who
is interested) up to date on Gillian's public persona.

> Cynthia even calls people to go to her movies and
> buy the posters she is on. Maybe she is not payed
> by GA or her agents to run the website but I'm pretty
> sure she receives some "special treatment" which is far
> beyond of what usual "fans" get. As Cynthia said on this
> newsgroup she spoke to GAs hairdresser on "The X-Files"
> which indicates me that Cynthia has special access to
> "The X-Files" production. Coincidence ??

And you care and want to know BECAUSE...? Sounds to me like you are
harboring some deep resentment there, Otto. Why should this be a problem
for you?

> 2. On GAWS it says that there is no link between
> GAWS and GA. Cynthia even says that she doesn't have
> her phone number or address or anything. But how is it
> possible to quote GAs "auction call" on GAWS if she is
> not related to the website?

I think you misunderstand what is meant by 'no link.' This simply means
that, Cyn (the webmistress) takes full responsibility for everything
that is seen/read on GAWS. If you read the Disclaimer it says:

The Official Gillian Anderson Web Site® All Rights Reserved 1996-1999.
The Gillian Anderson Web Site® is only dedicated to Ms. Anderson and is
not hers per-say, nor does it reflect Ms. Anderson's views or opinions.
All views, opinions and certain materials presented on GAWS® belongs to
Cynthia Schmidt and Chris Baxter and where applicable, copyrighted by
GAWS® and Fusion Web Design®. Any appearance of advertising on this page
does not infer Ms. Anderson's support for any product or service
advertised. All materials contained on GAWS® are protected by copyright
and shall not be used for any purpose other than private, non-commercial
purposes. The reproduction, displaying of information on other
web-sites, mailing list or newsletters, and other unauthorized copying
are expressly prohibited.

So, unless Gillian is quoted directly, everything that appears on GAWS
is there because Cyn and/or Chris made the decision to put it there.

> Obviously Cynthia got an email from GA !! (It's ok if
> you don't want to tell her email address but you should
> not lie.)
> Or maybe is it also coincidence ??

Don't you think it is possible for her to receive email from GA through
indirect sources? If Cyn says she does not have GA's email addy, then
she does *not*. I believe her. If you have a problem with this too, then
go find a site with a webmistress/master whom you do believe since it
seems very important for you to trust the people who design and maintain
websites.

> 4. If it's not coincidence, how did Cynthia get those
> connections to GA? I think it's because she is also the
> webmistress of the NF Inc. Yes you heard it right. GAs
> mom is running the NF support group in Michigan and
> Cynthia is working for this organisation.
> So the link is there ! Or maybe not ??

Otto, everyone knows this! What old news! There are links to NF, Inc.
all over the GAWS website! And, if you read the CREDITS page of GAWS,
you will see Rosemary Anderson's name listed there too. This is not a
secret.

> 5. How is it possible to call a webpage the "official GA
> website" without the express permission of the names
> owner (GA)?

Again, you did not understand what was meant by the disclaimer. Of
course GA gave her permission.

> 6. I personally think its tasteless that GA calls her fans
> to "... start saving your pennies..." (that's what she says
> on GAWS). She doesn't tell people what is done with the
> money. All that we know is that it goes to the organisation
> that she and her mom supports. She also says that "... on the
> last [auction] we raised approx. $24,000 for NF INC."
> Well Gillie if you would sell your silver Porsche, or your
> multi million dollar house in Canada you could spent much more
> money to this organisation than you are asking us to do. And
> if you would give away just one quarter of your annual earned
> money you would still have enough money for you and your
> daughter (for the rest of your lifes) and you wouldn't have to
> ask people (that you don't know) to give you their money.
> Maybe she should read something by Emanuel Kant. He basically
> said "Don't do things to others that you don't want them to
> do to you".

Otto, have you sent similar letters to Elizabeth Taylor and Madonna
because they do fundraising work for AIDS? And to Jerry Lewis for asking
people to donate money to Muscular Dystrophy? And how about Danny Thomas
(now deceased) who did so much work to raise funds for St. Jude's
Children's Hospital? I could go on and on! Celebrities cannot pay for
all the expenses involved in research, etc. of their fave charitable
causes. There are fundraisers going on all of the time for all sorts of
charities. Celebrities lend their names and give their time to not just
raise funds but to also PROMOTE AWARENESS so that people like you and I
will be more enlightened should we, for example, meet people with these
diseases and/or genetic disorders.

What they do is a GOOD THING. Just ask all the people they help.

> 7. Gillian is payed by 10/30 productions.
> They get their money from Fox TV.
> They get their money from the companies which buy airtimes
> for their commercials. (They broadcast commercials 24 hours a
> day and in between of the commercials they broadcast series coz
> otherwise noone would watch the adds).
> Those companies get their money from the people who buy their
> products (the product price includes the money for the commercials).
> And because of those adds we buy their products.
> So basically WE pay Gillian !!
> So if Gillian would give a little bit of that money away she also
> wouldn't have to ask us to do it !!
>
> 8. Of course Gillian knows that there is a huge GA market out their.
> Any product (even calls for donations) attached to her name brings
> a lot of money back !! We all remember what happend when "illegal"
> published calendars with her pictures in it were shown on TV. She got
> pissed because she lost money. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't even notice
> it if she would have get the money coz that's just peanuts to her.

Otto, I am starting to worry about you. Why are you wasting your
precious time posting all this when you *obviously* do not respect or
care for Gillian? Perhaps you should find some other celebrity (or
whatever) to admire and support so that your time can be spent in a more
positive manner. Right now you sound like some jilted lover who is very
hurt and wants to do some damage in return.

> 9. My opinion is that Gillian is not Scully. But people just see
> Scully in her. I think we should reminde ourselfes that Scully is
> a fiction ... just ink on a piece of paper .... No one would set up
> an official website for GA for her role in "The Turning" because it's a
> lousy script. But Cynthia did it for "Scully" because there is a huge
> market out there.... Maybe it wasn't her intention when GAWS went
> online.
> But now things seemed to change. Or am I wrong?

You are wrong, Otto. But you are entitled to your opinion. Info on "The
Turning" exists in GAWS because it is part of GA's filmography. The site
is about GA and this definitely includes her movies, television
appearances, stage appearances, magazine and newspaper interviews,
charitable causes, etc.

Again, there are lots of websites out there, Otto. Find some that you
can enjoy wholeheartedly. Life is too short to be bitter about things
that do not conform to *your* standards/subjective opinion. Or perhaps
you could start your very own website so that you can have control over
what is posted. Then you will also be able to experience what it feels
like to be criticized negatively for your work by people who don't know
you or understand your motivations but feel self-righteous enough to
jump in with their unsolicited judgments anyway.

Mari

E. Schepers

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 02:45:25 +0100, Otto Steig <st...@iname.com>
wrote:

> [...]

>pissed because she lost money. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't even notice
>it if she would have get the money coz that's just peanuts to her.
>

>9. My opinion is that Gillian is not Scully. But people just see
>Scully in her. I think we should reminde ourselfes that Scully is
>a fiction ... just ink on a piece of paper .... No one would set up
>an official website for GA for her role in "The Turning" because it's a
>lousy script. But Cynthia did it for "Scully" because there is a huge
>market out there.... Maybe it wasn't her intention when GAWS went
>online.
>But now things seemed to change. Or am I wrong?
>

>Otto Steig
>
>P.S.:
>I'm pretty sure a lot people want to be on the set of "The X-Files"
>"... so start saving your pennies..." and ....

I don't know about anybody else, but I will take part in this year's
auction. I happen to believe Cynthia when she says she does not have
GA's email address etc.

Number 9 : "My opinion is that Gillian is not Scully." Duh, why the
hell do you think it's called the GILLIAN ANDERSON web site ?

Eri"k" "Delphi Dude" Schepers

Mari

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
Otto Steig wrote:

> 6. I personally think its tasteless that GA calls her fans
> to "... start saving your pennies..." (that's what she says
> on GAWS). She doesn't tell people what is done with the
> money. All that we know is that it goes to the organisation
> that she and her mom supports.

I am back, Otto, with more thoughts to share with you. And questions
too!

Why didn't you read the information about the auction/fund raiser? If
you had bothered to click on the GAWS/NF, INC AUCTION link on GA's post,
you would have seen a page with information including this: "The best
part... all the money goes to one of Gillian's favorite charities,
Neurofibromatosis, Inc." And if you had bothered to take the link to the
Neurofibromatosis, Inc. web site you would have been rewarded with tons
of information on this genetic disorder. Why then would GA repeat all of
this when she knows all this information is available to us?

Just for you, I will provide the nutshell version of what NF, Inc. is
all about ---

NF, Inc., is an organization made up of independent state and regional
chapters that provide support and services to NF families. This
organization also works closely with clinical and research professionals
who specialize in the treatment of NF.

What is Neurofibromatosis (NF)?

Neurofibromatosis, pronounced Neuro-fi-bro-ma-to-sis, (NF for short), is
a genetic disorder of the nervous system that causes tumors to form on
the nerves anywhere in the body at any time. This progressive disorder
affects all ethnic races and both sexes equally. NF is one of the most
common genetic disorders in the United States, (one in every 3,000 to
4,000 births), even though not many people have heard about it.

There are two genetically distinct forms of NF, NF-1 and NF-2. The
effects of NF are unpredictable and have varying manifestations and
degrees of severity. There is no known cure for either form of NF, even
though the gene for both NF-1 and NF-2 have been identified. Currently,
NF has no treatment other than the surgical removal of tumors which may
some times grow back.

NF is an autosomal dominant genetic condition, meaning you can not catch
it from other people. Only 50% of those affected with NF have a prior
family history of NF. If an individual does not have NF he/she can not
pass it on to his/her children.

Want more information? Go to http://www.nfinc.org

> So if Gillian would give a little bit of that money away she also
> wouldn't have to ask us to do it !!

She does not *have* to ask her fans to do anything. This is the *third*
NF, Inc. online auction and it would not be happening if there were no
interest in the event. You may disapprove of it but I can assure you
that there are many others who would disagree with you.

> 8. Of course Gillian knows that there is a huge GA market out their.
> Any product (even calls for donations) attached to her name brings
> a lot of money back !! We all remember what happend when "illegal"
> published calendars with her pictures in it were shown on TV. She got
> pissed because she lost money.

If you are talking about her appearance in "The View," I suggest you
watch it again and *listen* to her say that she does *not* receive money
for *any* of the items displayed before her. And yet she only
disapproved of the calendar. Think about it. Later, she signed all (or
most) of the items (except the calendar) before they were returned to
her fans.

> 9. My opinion is that Gillian is not Scully. But people just see
> Scully in her. I think we should reminde ourselfes that Scully is
> a fiction ... just ink on a piece of paper .... No one would set up
> an official website for GA for her role in "The Turning" because it's
> lousy script.

Do most newcomers (also referred to as 'unknowns') have web sites
dedicated to them when they first appear for a *few minutes* in a film?
I think not! If you know of one, please pass on the information.

> But Cynthia did it for "Scully" because there is a huge
> market out there....

And you profess to know Cynthia's motivations for setting up a web site
because you are....The Stupendous Yappi?

> P.S.:
> I'm pretty sure a lot people want to be on the set of "The X-Files"
> "... so start saving your pennies..." and ....

This is really the main reason for this post, isn't it? Let me play the
role of 'The Stupendous Yappi' this time around and let me guess your
motivation -- you feel frustrated because you do not have 'enough
pennies' to bid for the day on the set of TXF, hmmm?

Well, Otto, join the club. Many of us would love to spend a day on set
but it isn't going to happen. So what? Such is life. Just sing the song:
"You can't always get what you want...."

The main *purpose* of the auction is to promote awareness and raise
funds for NF, Inc. If people have fun along the way (those who bid as
well as those who watch <-- it can get very exciting) all the better!

Mari

Poohstks38

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
not that i'd agree with you in the first place, but it helps me to take people
more seriously when they don't have a number of mis-spellings and typos.
please realize that if we thought gillian anderson and scully were the same
person, we would not be interested in all the movies and charity work that ga
takes part in. however, since it is pretty obvious that they are not one and
the same, it stands to reason that someone like me might like ga BECAUSE of the
things she does outside of xf. she isn't simply scully, she is a person who is
doing what she can to help out. if people would pay spectacular amounts of
money to buy things that i had signed, hell, i'd have a benefit auction as
well! i figure i could work on all kinds of charities that way! and if i
worked 14-16 hour days, six days a week, i'd drive a damn nice car too.
you paraphrased kant. i don't know who said this, but please take this
succinct and straightforward reply: i'm trying to see things from your point of
view, but i can't get my head that far up my ass.

-pooh
wanna-be xf whore #420
*******************
Skinner: Use your head, Scully. It'll save your ass.
Scully: Save your own ass, sir. You'll save your head along with it.

RainMan

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
You know, I'd love to write a flame here, but I wouldn't know where to
begin. The is stupidity and then there is, well... Otto.

RainMan

moofyman

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99

>>1. I recognized that since GAWS became the official
>GA website it's not about her anymore but about the
>films that she is working on. To me it looks like
>a commercial website to do promotion for GA.
>Cynthia even calls people to go to her movies and
>buy the posters she is on. Maybe she is not payed
>by GA or her agents to run the website but I'm pretty
>sure she receives some "special treatment" which is far
>beyond of what usual "fans" get. As Cynthia said on this
>newsgroup she spoke to GAs hairdresser on "The X-Files"
>which indicates me that Cynthia has special access to
>"The X-Files" production. Coincidence ??

FYI a group of Cyns Friends organised a trip to LA for her to meet Gillian
and spend some time on the set of the X-Files. Also its no secret that Cyn
has contact with Rosemary Anderson, so she does get information about
Gillian through her, but not necessarily "special treatment" .
Cyn has put a lot of hard work into raising money and most importantly
awareness of NF and does deserve some credit for that.

>>6. I personally think its tasteless that GA calls her fans
>to "... start saving your pennies..." (that's what she says
>on GAWS). She doesn't tell people what is done with the
>money. All that we know is that it goes to the organisation

>that she and her mom supports. She also says that "... on the
>last [auction] we raised approx. $24,000 for NF INC."
>Well Gillie if you would sell your silver Porsche, or your
>multi million dollar house in Canada you could spent much more
>money to this organisation than you are asking us to do. And
>if you would give away just one quarter of your annual earned
>money you would still have enough money for you and your

>daughter (for the rest of your lifes) and you wouldn't have to

>ask people (that you don't know) to give you their money.

Otto, you obviously have no idea what a charity is all about,and I think
you are way out of your dept in this whole topic. You also don't seem to
know a lot about Gillian either or you would know that she is not off
spending her money on expensive cars (the porsche was a gift from Fox btw)
and houses(which is kind of a necessity these days). No one is forcing you
to part with your precious money, but for the rest of us real fans we are
happy to help out and also to buy posters ,magazines or what ever else is
for sale.

The only reason I replyied to this stupid post is because it annoys me that
someone could say those things about Gillian of all people , but also Cyn
who is putting a lot of work into organising an auction.

Unhappy Gillian fan

Chris Conway

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
It's a free country and Otto you are free to air your views but i'm afraid
i have to agree with Mari...what's up? bad day? i don't think anyone would
say Gillian's perfect (who is?) but it seems to me GAWS is just run by a
bunch a great fans that try and give us the latest info/pictures on this
superb actress and if this aids Gillian in some small way as regards to
fans buying photo's/posters/video's whatever..well that's just part of the
game right? and i'm sure she helps out the charities with the kind of money
she earns.

Chris C

Michal

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
Dear,

[X] Troll
[X] Idiot
[x] Lamer
[ ] Fiend
[ ] Waster of bandwidth
[ ] Tool
[ ] WaReZdOOd
[ ] Clueless Newbie
[ ] AOLer
[ ] Me-too-er
[ ] Pervert
[ ] Spammer
[ ] Unbearably self-righteous person

You are being flamed because

[ ] You crossposted
[ ] You are an AOLer
[ ] You posted in ALL CAPS
[ ] You posted a binary to this newsgroup
[ ] You started a flamewar
[X] You are a troll
[ ] You quoted an entire message in your reply of 0 LINES
[ ] your sig is longer than your response
[ ] You posted in eLiTe CaPs
[x] You suck
[ ] You requested warez
[ ] You posted the same message to many newsgroups
[ ] You are a spammer
[ ] You posted the same message a bunch of times
[ ] You don't know which group to post in
[x] I just don't like you

To repent you must

[ ] Give up your AOL account
[ ] Buy a legitimate copy of all your pirated junk
[ ] Learn to turn off the CAPS LOCK before you type
[X] Go hide under a Bridge. If you do not have a bridge, we can sell
you one named Brooklyn
[x] Type format c: /u/y at your nearest DOS prompt
[ ] Go find a hose
[ ] Eat your modem
[x] Give up your Newsreader
[x] Shove a Cinnabon into your computer. Without replacing the case,
ground yourself to the Power Supply and turn computer on
[x] Be the guest of honor in alt.flame for a month

In closing, I would like to say

[ ] AOL sucks!
[ ] The number of lines to your actual response, is equivalent to the
square of your IQ.
[x] Never post again
[ ] Buy your own software
[ ] CAPS LOCK! It's on the left!
[ ] Die, spammer!
[ ] Learn to read headers!

This flame is brought to you by the letters C and P, and by
your stupidity.