Mount Wilson Observatory

NGC6144

May 22, 2022, 3:25:30 PM5/22/22
Can anyone enlighten me on Doc's motivation to want to buy Mount Wilson Observatory? Since the Vatican had an observatory, did that make it fashionable to him? I don't think I was ever aware of this during the time I attended. What was he going to do, spot Wormwood coming in from the Oort cloud?

Matt2442

May 22, 2022, 8:28:11 PM5/22/22
On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 12:25:30 PM UTC-7, NGC6144 wrote:
> Can anyone enlighten me on Doc's motivation to want to buy Mount Wilson Observatory? Since the Vatican had an observatory, did that make it fashionable to him? I don't think I was ever aware of this during the time I attended. What was he going to do, spot Wormwood coming in from the Oort cloud?

Matt2442:
Wingo might have some info on that, as it is more up his alley. I do recall something about it back during my time there, but what came of it or Doc's motivation for buying it, I don't recall.

yourdaddy

May 22, 2022, 8:37:27 PM5/22/22
why wouldnt you want one

NGC6144

May 22, 2022, 9:01:30 PM5/22/22
yourdaddy
> why wouldnt you want one

Being an astronomy enthusiast I would. But, encroaching light pollution had rendered their larger telescopes mostly obsolete. The public can rent them for a night.

bluettes

May 23, 2022, 1:53:33 PM5/23/22
I've had fun camping out there when i was a teenager!

yourdaddy

May 23, 2022, 3:33:41 PM5/23/22
they made a sleeping bag big enough for you?

bluettes

May 23, 2022, 3:58:56 PM5/23/22
Nah, i just camped around the observatory. (。•̀ᴗ-)✧

yourdaddy

May 23, 2022, 11:51:46 PM5/23/22
FASINATING
Message has been deleted

NGC6144

May 24, 2022, 7:14:02 PM5/24/22
On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 3:59:38 PM UTC-7, NGC6144 wrote:
> I found next to nothing about Mount Wilson Observatory here on this archive. I did find a video from funhistory on YouTube about Doc's stamp museum(Secret 1) which I also previously saw on a master list of Secrets. Before this information I had no clue about this. I think one could infer he had something of a similar intention. I think he intended to build a conglomerate empire of prestigious facilities that would nudge people in his direction along with the social clout of being something of a renaissance man. Looking back it makes me even more disappointed that many of these kinds of projects weren't really about the ministry but his pursuit and pleasure. I consider this issue pretty much closed out.

I forgot to add funhistory has some brief comments about Mount Wilson at the end of his video.