Prickly City--conservative furry comic strip

Anthrocoon Macrofurry

Dec 21, 2004, 4:14:33 PM12/21/04
Looks like Mallard Fillmore has company--another conservative comic strip,
which I just stumbled across. (I consider it furry as a coyote is a major
character)

"About Prickly City: A small town in the American Southwest... everything in
the desert is designed to prick you, wound you or eat you. What better
metaphor for 21st century Earth? PRICKLY CITY is a comic strip about the
friendship between Winslow, a coyote pup, and Carmen, a straight and narrow
kind of kid. PRICKLY CITY offers a _conservative_ perspective on political
and social events within an ongoing storyline. As Carmen might say, "We may
not be correct but we will always be right."

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20041220/lprc041220.gif

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20041221/lprc041221.gif

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20041217/lprc041217.gif

The Huskyfoxwolfjackalcoyotehyena

Dec 21, 2004, 4:33:49 PM12/21/04
"Anthrocoon Macrofurry" <shrinki...@NOSPAMcomcast.net> shall never
vanquished be until great Birnam wood to high alt.fan.furry. hill
shall come against him.

>Looks like Mallard Fillmore has company--another conservative comic strip,
>which I just stumbled across. (I consider it furry as a coyote is a major
>character)
>
>"About Prickly City: A small town in the American Southwest... everything in
>the desert is designed to prick you, wound you or eat you. What better
>metaphor for 21st century Earth? PRICKLY CITY is a comic strip about the
>friendship between Winslow, a coyote pup, and Carmen, a straight and narrow
>kind of kid. PRICKLY CITY offers a _conservative_ perspective on political
>and social events within an ongoing storyline. As Carmen might say, "We may
>not be correct but we will always be right."
>
>http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20041220/lprc041220.gif

Oh noes! Micheal moore is fat!

they have just demolished every single arugment he has ever made with
one single word: FAT!

I don't know about you, but I prefer reading *proper* things that
don't rely on base insults and smears to get their message across.

That comicis little better than Streicher's Der Stürmer.

---
PaInt iT rEd cuZ it go fAstUH!

mouse

Dec 21, 2004, 5:14:52 PM12/21/04

Caged_Horse

Dec 21, 2004, 5:29:13 PM12/21/04
dsaun12 wrote:
>Oh noes! Micheal moore is fat!

>they have just demolished every single arugment he has >ever made with
one single word: FAT!

>I don't know about you, but I prefer reading *proper* >things that don't
rely on base insults and smears to get >their message across.

But we can still call Rush Limbaugh a junkie lardass, right?

A noxious dollop of Iraqi oil in your red stocking, Anthrocoon!

joestr...@hotmail.com

Dec 21, 2004, 10:33:51 PM12/21/04
Speaking as a screaming unapologetic leftie, I have to say I actually
found the 3 sample strips linked above reasonably funny. Even though I
disagree with the politics, the writing builds nicely to a punchline &
the art has an attractive, contemporary scribbly style. Head &
shoulders above both Mallard (all that strip ever does is whine, whine,
whine about those evil liberals) & especially a new one called "State
of the Union" that started running in the NY Daily News recently. SOTU
is a real stinker: crappy art, crappy writing, it makes Mallard F. look
like Doonesbury.

Co-inklydinkly, I was going thru my old Rowrbrazzle contributions
earlier today & re-read some comments I made about Mallard F. a few
years ago, which I still consider valid: MF is not a particularly good
strip, and I suspect whatever success it enjoys is not due to its own
merit, but to newspaper editors who feel obliged to run a conservative
strip in order to 'balance' Doonesbury. Which means that MF got where
it is thanks to comics-page affirmative action, not its own innate
merit - but gee golly, aren't conservatives opposed to affirmative
action as a matter of principal ?

And I admit it: Michael Moore IS a big fat slob - but he's OUR big fat
slob, and last I heard, he's not addicted to hillbilly heroin.

mouse

Dec 22, 2004, 12:06:53 AM12/22/04
"Caged_Horse" <oaco...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> But we can still call Rush Limbaugh a junkie lardass, right?

Sure, but it illustrates and even larger problem with these right-wing
radio guys: They are lifeless, soulless, boring fucking cunts. Every last
one of them.

Limbaugh got addicted to oxycotins (or whatever it was - a goddamn
painkiller regardless of how strong) because hes too much of a lame
douchebag to get addicted to a cool party-sort of drug thats lots of fun to
do - like coke or E or something.

...just sayin

Anthrocoon Macrofurry

Dec 22, 2004, 4:08:17 AM12/22/04
And Bush voters thank M. Moore for bringing their base out to the polls :)

Rush Limbaugh: Talent on loan from Oxy-Contin :)

Anthrocoon Macrofurry

Dec 22, 2004, 4:09:34 AM12/22/04
They were funny...or at least they were making a point about the Clinton
library, "PC", and Michael Moore ("Fat-N-White 911 Lbs.", as a
spoof on http://www.sacredcowburgers.com puts it)

Anthrocoon Macrofurry

Dec 22, 2004, 4:17:30 AM12/22/04
a comic strip about the
> friendship between Winslow, a coyote pup, and Carmen, a straight and
> narrow kind of kid.

By the way does anyone out there remember the comic strip Kelly from the
1960s? It was by Jack Moore and it was about the friendship between a boy
named Kelly, an anthro dog named Duke, and an anthro cat named Roscoe. An
early exposure to "furry" for me.

(from rec.artists.comics.strips:
Q. (Does anyone remember) Kelly and Duke?
A. Kelly, later Kelly and Duke, ran from 1972 until 1980; Jack Moore
was the cartoonist. Kelly's dog, Duke, was large, cynical, and spoke
with a Southern accent. In one typical story arc Kelly, Duke and a
hipster cat (another recurring character) were trapped in the backyard
by a vicious neighbor dog. Kelly told Duke to go talk to the other dog,
you know--dog-to-dog. Duke's negotiation: "Let me go and you can eat
the
kid and the cat." No compilations are known, but a book of new material,
/What is God's Area Code?/, was published in 1974 as part of the Cartoon
Stories For New Children series.

mouse

Dec 22, 2004, 4:33:40 AM12/22/04
"Anthrocoon Macrofurry" <shrinki...@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in

I read them all ...

Allow me to reiterate:

Where the humor at, yo ?

Right-wing (attempted) humor sucks balls. Always has, always will. Its
not really thier fault, rather - it's just a metaphysical impossiblity.
Dont argue this with me. Im right, you're wrong.

If you don't believe me... remember that whole "Flipper" flip-flopper
Kerry website with the dolphins all over the place and badly looped
soundtrack?

Its always the type of shit thats seems like a funny idea at first, but
then any sane person would realize "oh wait... no... thats just fucking
stupid!"

Then you remember what type of humor (and IQ) the target audience has
..and well, it all just comes into crystal clarity.

The Huskyfoxwolfjackalcoyotehyena

Dec 22, 2004, 2:50:35 PM12/22/04
mouse <mo...@blackvault.com> shall never vanquished be until great

Birnam wood to high alt.fan.furry. hill shall come against him.

>"Caged_Horse" <oaco...@hotmail.com> wrote in

It's true.

If he was snorting coke and living it up with prostitutes in the most
expensive hotels, I would have said: "wow, there's a man who knows how
to have a good time!" and I would have had a lot more respect for him.

BR

Dec 22, 2004, 4:55:12 PM12/22/04
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:50:35 +0000, The Huskyfoxwolfjackalcoyotehyena
wrote:

> If he was snorting coke and living it up with prostitutes in the most
> expensive hotels, I would have said: "wow, there's a man who knows how
> to have a good time!" and I would have had a lot more respect for him.

Advocating prostitution and drug use, Dave?

mouse

Dec 23, 2004, 4:14:13 AM12/23/04
BR <brodr...@comcast.net> wrote in news:pan.2004.12.22.21.55.12.264732
@comcast.net:

Whats wrong with wanting all the sex, drugs and rock 'n roll you can
stand ?

If I ever win a big lottery or something, I aint lying - I would spend at
least a short period of time (say..a month or so) partying the fuck UP.
Expensive custom suits, I'd have a harem, a sweet ass luxury penthouse
and mountains of coke and weed on the coffee table.

-because I could-

Then Id wreck my ferrari, go into rehab, come out and be like "sorry! Im
much better now" and that would be the end of it. Id be back to my
regular geek self after that. No regrets.

mos def

Dave Farrance

Dec 23, 2004, 4:21:53 AM12/23/04
mouse <mo...@blackvault.com> wrote:

>Limbaugh got addicted to oxycotins (or whatever it was - a goddamn
>painkiller regardless of how strong) because hes too much of a lame
>douchebag to get addicted to a cool party-sort of drug thats lots of fun to
>do - like coke or E or something.
> ...just sayin

Calling drug-use "cool" is very close to advocating it. I've seen the
way that drugs caused a shocking change in the appearance of a couple of
my friends at school, making them look old and grey in their teens, and
it left me in no doubt that drugs *do* mess you up.

You didn't *intend* to come across as advocating drugs, or did you?

--
Farry/Swipecat

mouse

Dec 23, 2004, 4:27:20 AM12/23/04
Dave Farrance <fa...@see.replyto.header> wrote in

> You didn't *intend* to come across as advocating drugs, or did you?

Oh, I did.

Dave Farrance

Dec 23, 2004, 4:30:32 AM12/23/04
mouse <mo...@blackvault.com> wrote:

>Then Id wreck my ferrari, go into rehab, come out and be like "sorry! Im
>much better now" and that would be the end of it. Id be back to my
>regular geek self after that. No regrets.

OK, I didn't see this before posting my previous message.

It's VERY unlikely that you'd have no regrets. There's a mountain of
scientific evidence that drugs cause permanent damage to the brain. The
one that'd worry me most is the wrecking of the endorphin control
mechanisms, meaning that all the OTHER things that used to be fun would
no longer seem so. THAT is why drugs get a hold of you, because you'll
be left with little other way of getting pleasure.

--
Farry/Swipecat

The Huskyfoxwolfjackalcoyotehyena

Dec 23, 2004, 7:06:42 AM12/23/04
mouse <mo...@blackvault.com> shall never vanquished be until great

Birnam wood to high alt.fan.furry. hill shall come against him.

>Dave Farrance <fa...@see.replyto.header> wrote in

As the state of the "war on drugs" today indicates, makeing drugs
illegal only results in locking up large amounts of young people.

America has more people imprisoned than anywhere else in the world
mostly because of drugs.

Since drugs cannot be prevented from people useing them, it only makes
sense to make sure that those people who do use them use them in a
manner which is as controlled and safe as possible.

If for example you made sure the addicts always used sterile needles,
injected under medical supervision et al, you would help to prevent
the spread of aids, prevent deaths et al.

Also, because drugs are illegal, this boots up their price and forces
addicts to turn to crime.

Also, merely because drugs are illegal, this gives them an air of
mystique.

If you cannot ban it, you must regulate it and make sure it is a safe
and controlled as possible.

Samantha, the Rainbow Hat

Dec 23, 2004, 4:29:40 PM12/23/04
In article <jf2ls05anueos75n6...@4ax.com>,
Oh hey. This tedious topic hasn't been as over-done as religion and
politics on this newsgroup. Let's make up for that.

Okay, everyone chose sides! You can be the paranoid prudites who have
never done any drugs but are filled with shrill paranoid propaganda messages
that will make you run in fear of the dangers of addiction to
dihydrous oxide, and on the other side, you'll have slacking stoners
who can't put three words together in a coherent way staunchly in support
of drug use, and eventually, the holier than thou 'rehabbers' will join
in on the side of the paranoids with their tedious stories about how
blah blah blah ruined the life of X, Y, or Z, or about how they heroically
turned away froma life of drug use and crime. (Crime always has to go
with drug use in these stories, it's manditory) and then you'll have the
l33t nerds joining the stoners to say, 'But what is a 'drug' define drug!
Caffiene is a drug! Sugar is a drug! EVERYTHING is a drug!' and
finally it'll devolve into name-calling before some juicy political topic
comes up and we forget about it 2 or 3 months from now.

-Samantha, who did various drugs in her past and drinks sometimes but
thinks the hype on both sides is way overrated.

Samantha, the Rainbow Hat

Dec 23, 2004, 4:32:56 PM12/23/04
In article <8j3ls0p8cu26mi9cb...@4ax.com>,

This is why Bush has to resort to mass-murdering thousands of people.
There's no thrill left in life after cocaine.

Or is it a different set of rules for 'special' people.

Kris Overstreet

Dec 23, 2004, 4:43:15 PM12/23/04
On 21 Dec 2004 19:33:51 -0800, joestr...@hotmail.com wrote:

>Co-inklydinkly, I was going thru my old Rowrbrazzle contributions
>earlier today & re-read some comments I made about Mallard F. a few
>years ago, which I still consider valid: MF is not a particularly good
>strip,

Nor is it a particularly -bad- strip. I enjoy most strips, even though
they are usually cheap liberal-baiting, strawman-burning material.

That's more than I can say for, for example, Dinette Set.

Redneck

Samantha, the Rainbow Hat

Dec 23, 2004, 4:47:19 PM12/23/04
In article <8j3ls0p8cu26mi9cb...@4ax.com>,
Dave Farrance <D.Farranc...@ANDTHISfurries.info> wrote:
This is just proof that on the internet everyone is an expert, even when
they aren't. Could you please talk about things you've actually studied
and or experienced first hand? I did a few different drugs when I was
younger and never found myself craving them or addicted. They did, most
obviously, have short-term effects but truth be told, they got rather
boring rather quickly and I moved on to more interesting things like
artwork.

It's shrill paranoid behaviour like yours that builds up a mystique
around drugs and makes people curious enough to try them. People that
get hooked on stuff have other issues and personally, I'd rather they
turned to drugs than religion. At least with drugs some parts of
your brain continue to function normally, and with drugs, you can
quit without any guilt or shame.

Honestly though, it's been almost a decade since I did any drugs. If
you think I'm going to suddenly relapse, I think you're mistaken. By
in large, they're like being excited by a song. It might get you up
or down in some way you really groove on and you might totally love it
for a while, but then radio replay makes you bored of it, so you go
listen to something else. (And that doesn't mean another drug) Looking
back, you might be embarassed you used to like some song but you might
have some nostalgia. It doesn't make you unable to enjoy any other
music though. Sheesh.

joestr...@hotmail.com

Dec 23, 2004, 6:46:54 PM12/23/04
I just took a peek at sacredcowburgers - lots of P-shopped
posters/images sieg-heiling our nation's wonderful 'leaders' via
supposed 'humor' that's actually the usual right-wing, bullying
arrogance. A ton of nasty, shitty Kerry put-downs, but one image caught
my eye: an elephant about to stomp you, the person looking at the
picture. Message on the bottom of his foot: "This is Bush country;
obstruct at your own risk." Humor? Sounds more like these people owning
up to their fascist philosophy...

mouse

Dec 24, 2004, 3:12:56 AM12/24/04

> It's VERY unlikely that you'd have no regrets. There's a mountain of
> scientific evidence that drugs cause permanent damage to the brain.

I don't do drugs, Mr. Wipe. Not in a long time, tho I do like smokin dope
once in a while, when the opportunity presents itself.

I used to smoke a lot of weed, and on several occassions smoked weed
laced with other stuff (opium and coke)

I DON'T have any regrets, and my brains just fine.

(wait for it ... !! all the posts about how fucked up I am and whatnot)

Actually youre right, Marijuana for me was a gateway drug! It wasnt long
before I posting messages to alt.fan.furry and looking at pics of
naaaaakid cartoon animals late at night on the internet.

Verily... drugs and alcohol have brough ruination upon my life.

Timmy Ramone

Dec 24, 2004, 4:15:09 AM12/24/04
Dave Farrance wrote:

> ...There's a mountain of

> scientific evidence that drugs cause permanent damage to the brain.

That certainly explains Rush. But that doesn't explain his
audience...

--

Visit the "Usual Suspects" weblog:
http://www.browncross.com/usualsuspects/

"Bowl a strike, not a spare -- revolution everywhere!" -RABL motto

Dave Farrance

Dec 24, 2004, 4:23:23 AM12/24/04
cir...@armory.com (Samantha, the Rainbow Hat) wrote:

>Dave Farrance <D.Farranc...@ANDTHISfurries.info> wrote:
>>It's VERY unlikely that you'd have no regrets. There's a mountain of
>>scientific evidence that drugs cause permanent damage to the brain. The
>>one that'd worry me most is the wrecking of the endorphin control
>>mechanisms, meaning that all the OTHER things that used to be fun would
>>no longer seem so. THAT is why drugs get a hold of you, because you'll
>>be left with little other way of getting pleasure.
>
>This is why Bush has to resort to mass-murdering thousands of people.
>There's no thrill left in life after cocaine.
>Or is it a different set of rules for 'special' people.

Nope. I'm basically a libertarian, but I follow where the science leads.
I *could* go point-for-point through your other responses to me, with
rebuttals, references, comments about putting words into my mouth, and
comments about using rhetoric rather than reason etc. etc. However, you
probably know all the arguments as well as I do, and it's not likely
that anyone's going to change their mind.

I DO agree that the last thing that this group needs is a long argument
on yet another off-topic subject, so I'll not escalate it.

--
Farry/Swipecat

The Huskyfoxwolfjackalcoyotehyena

Dec 24, 2004, 5:04:43 AM12/24/04
Dave Farrance <fa...@see.replyto.header> shall never vanquished be

until great Birnam wood to high alt.fan.furry. hill shall come against
him.

>Nope. I'm basically a libertarian,

:(

Dave Farrance

Dec 24, 2004, 5:15:18 AM12/24/04
dsa...@yahoo.co.uk (The Huskyfoxwolfjackalcoyotehyena) wrote:

>Dave Farrance <fa...@see.replyto.header> shall never vanquished be
>until great Birnam wood to high alt.fan.furry. hill shall come against
>him.
>
>>Nope. I'm basically a libertarian,
>
> :(

Whoops. I forgot the American meaning of the word. Make that a liberal.

--
Farry/Swipecat

The Huskyfoxwolfjackalcoyotehyena

Dec 24, 2004, 5:21:58 AM12/24/04
Dave Farrance <fa...@see.replyto.header> shall never vanquished be
until great Birnam wood to high alt.fan.furry. hill shall come against
him.
>dsa...@yahoo.co.uk (The Huskyfoxwolfjackalcoyotehyena) wrote:
>
>>Dave Farrance <fa...@see.replyto.header> shall never vanquished be
>>until great Birnam wood to high alt.fan.furry. hill shall come against
>>him.
>>
>>>Nope. I'm basically a libertarian,
>>
>> :(
>
>Whoops. I forgot the American meaning of the word. Make that a liberal.

Hoorah! :)

Dave Farrance

Dec 24, 2004, 5:54:05 AM12/24/04
dsa...@yahoo.co.uk (The Huskyfoxwolfjackalcoyotehyena) wrote:

>Dave Farrance <fa...@see.replyto.header> :
>>dsa...@yahoo.co.uk (The Huskyfoxwolfjackalcoyotehyena) wrote:
>>>Dave Farrance <fa...@see.replyto.header> :

>>> :(
>>
>>Whoops. I forgot the American meaning of the word. Make that a liberal.
>
>Hoorah! :)

OK. Just for the record, according to my Collins English Dictionary,
"libertarian" means "1. A believer in freedom of thought, expression,
etc. 2. A believer in the doctrine of free will."

I guess that Libertarians aren't very libertarian.

--
Farry/Swipecat