Here we go again.

Message has been deleted

Jim Doolittle

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

ilr

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

> Soon as I saw the link, I went right over there.
S/
Too bad Rubberfuck pulled that one stunt, I don't know
if I should trust this one yet.
/S

> And I read the article.
> And I felt the sudden urge to say "Finally!"
> Folks, if people start flaming over the article - and I know they will
> - then I can't honestly figure out why. It's about the most balanced
> interpretation of furfandom I've seen in my LIFE. No kidding, folks -
> the author is so consistant with her emphasis that furry is a diverse
> culture, with everything for G-rated cutsy art to R-rated erotica, that
> you'd think she WAS furry. She mentions the sex, true - frankly, you'd
> have to be blind not to notice the sensuality in furry artwork - but J.
> Snyder is quick to balance it out with everything else out there. Heck,
> she even mentions the whole "image problem" thing - frankly, the
> impression I got from the article was someone who thought furfandom was
> pretty cool. She even says, "Makes sense if you think about it." :)
> So I'm writing to the people of that site, and I'm gonna thank them for
> the positive press. I'm glad we're getting some.
> --

Cool, so am I. For me it was pretty informative, I didn't
even know half of that stuff til now.

I can't say that this one brought out the pyro in me, but
I will Light something(she's right about the stoopid puns)
1> I think M. Light deserves some credit for being one
of the few artists who keeps the bustline to a believable
measurement
2> I'm pretty sure that the skunk is on page 3, not the cover.

-ilr

Mutt

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
> http://www.sfbg.com/SFLife/32/47/furries.html
>

> Where's my asbestos...

It didn't seem that bad. The author looked at the fandom from all aspects &
mentioned on various occasions that not all furs are into the sexual
aspects of the fandom. She obviously did her homework, much unlike Wired
Magazine, who were quick to label us all as perverts from the beginning.
--
^v^
Blessed be,

Richard Chandler - WA Resident

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
I thought it was a pretty good article. Not enough about art and 'zines, and
she obviously spent more time on a.l.f than a.f.f, but more balanced than
anything else I've read.

Flames? Well, in a way it shows that plushie "boinking" is a small part of
the fandom. So there's the old linkage flame.... But I'm not in the mood for
that.

I wonder what it says about the author that she ended up in The Leash and
Collar?

--
"I don't believe in Guns."
"I Do! I've actually seen one!"

furplay

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

And keep in mind that this is a paper in SAN FRANCISCO, where ALL sorts of
POVs are present. As far as that goes, it sounded like we squeaked by OK this time.

AllanGldmn

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <35E3D192...@novia.net>, furplay <fur...@novia.net> writes:

>Mutt wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.sfbg.com/SFLife/32/47/furries.html
>> >

>> > Where's my asbestos...
>>
>> It didn't seem that bad. The author looked at the fandom from all aspects &
>> mentioned on various occasions that not all furs are into the sexual
>> aspects of the fandom. She obviously did her homework, much unlike Wired
>> Magazine, who were quick to label us all as perverts from the beginning.

>And keep in mind that this is a paper in SAN FRANCISCO, where ALL sorts of

>POVs are present. As far as that goes, it sounded like we squeaked by OK this
>time.

I liked the article. The fact that the Bay Guardian is a real newspaper, not
just a porn
magazine like Loaded, means we had a real journalist looking at us.

For the word limit of the article, it seemed like a fair overview of the
fandom.

Al Goldman

Allen Kitchen

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

ilr <i...@rof.net> wrote in article <01bdd0bb$0fd1a060$1e2226d1@ilr>...

> S/
> Too bad Rubberfuck pulled that one stunt, I don't know
> if I should trust this one yet.
> /S

I find no evidence of a hoax. The san francisco bay guardian
is listed on several search engines, and has a number of ads
and classified listings. It apparently has been there for some
time.

> > So I'm writing to the people of that site, and I'm gonna thank them
for
> > the positive press. I'm glad we're getting some.
> > --
>
> Cool, so am I. For me it was pretty informative, I didn't
> even know half of that stuff til now.

I've sent off an email thanking them for the fair-deal and
balanced article as well. Refreshing to see one for once.

> 2> I'm pretty sure that the skunk is on page 3, not the cover.

Double checking my collection: Yes, the picture shown is
on the cover of AJA4. I didn't know it was a skunk, but hey,
I wasn't really worried about it :)

I just hope we don't have a flood of newbies on Furrymuck now.
I keep losing connections as it is.

Allen Kitchen (shockwave)
http://www.blkbox.com/~osprey/furry.html

Doodles

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998 00:09:55 -0500, dool...@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle)
wrote:

Actually, it's a far more reasonable and balanced article than you
think. It does mention our own schisms here and elsewhere, doesn't
try to equate us as all being alike and mentions that a good number of
us are quite PG.

Kudos to the Guardian

Unca Spooge, wondering if they plan to hit Further Confusion...

John & Paula Knode

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

Jim Doolittle wrote:

I think it was a decent article, it was informative and fair.
Though I have to mention three qualms I had with the article:

1. While I agree breasts are not always in the right number or in the
right place, a whole slew of things have to be changed to make an animal
more human. The author seemed to view this as an inconstancy rather
than what is is: Artist's license.

2. If the Plushophiles are a minority even in the fandom, then please do
not to go into the details of their activities. I have no problem with
what these people do, but alot of this stuff should be their business. I
believe defining "Poke and Soak" was not necessary.

3. When did all of this happen at The Leash and Collar? Every time I
went their it was rather quiet, in fact I think I got more at T/D pools
then I ever even got close to there. NOT that I'm into that stuff, heh
heh. . . .

Off to finish my Album,
Joshua

Brenda Daverin

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <doolittl-260...@gimli.isdn.uiuc.edu>,
dool...@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) wrote:

> http://www.sfbg.com/SFLife/32/47/furries.html
>

> Where's my asbestos...

Asbestos, nothing. This article actually got the spirit of the fandom
right. I damn near suspect the writer isn't far off from being a furry fan
herself. My one complaint is the incomplete definition of yiff. Purr. ;>

--
Brenda Daverin
bdav...@best.com

Jim Doolittle

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <bdaverin-260...@131.241.45.155>, bdav...@best.com
(Brenda Daverin) wrote:

> In article <doolittl-260...@gimli.isdn.uiuc.edu>,
> dool...@uiuc.edu (Jim Doolittle) wrote:
>
> > http://www.sfbg.com/SFLife/32/47/furries.html
> >

> > Where's my asbestos...
>
> Asbestos, nothing. This article actually got the spirit of the fandom
> right. I damn near suspect the writer isn't far off from being a furry fan
> herself. My one complaint is the incomplete definition of yiff. Purr. ;>

My basic complaint was the writer's fixation on sex, but I guess that's to
be expected in a report on this fandom...

Overall though, it was a fairly decent article. Better than some I've
seen. I would, however, like to know who the writer's character on
FurryMuck was (is?). :)

-Jim, somewhat relieved that the expected flamewar hasn't developed. Yet.

Betty R.

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <199808261026...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
allan...@aol.com (AllanGldmn) wrote:

> I liked the article. The fact that the Bay Guardian is a real newspaper, not
> just a porn magazine like Loaded, means we had a real journalist looking
at us.

For the nth time, "Loaded" is NOT a porn magazine, nor is it a
sensationalist tabloid newspaper. If you'd taken the time to go out and
actually LOOK at a copy of the magazine, you'd have seen that it is no
more a porn magazine than "Esquire" is. "Loaded" is very similar to
"SPIN," and nothing at all like "Hustler". "Loaded" did not even HAVE any
topless girls in it (unlike many British newspapers).

Yes, the Bay Guardian article was fairly well-balanced, though it's sad to
see them even having to even mention nonsense like "The Leash and Collar"
and "boinking plushies." How non-fannish activities like bondage,
personal sexuality, and sex toys (not to mention porn/spooge) got so
connected to funny animals and anthro fandom still mystifies me.

- Betty R.

furplay

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Ironicly enough, it's a good thing she researched furrydom from ALF instead of
AFF these past few months. I can only imagine & shudder what she would've
thought if she was looking here. YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESH!!!!!

S. arsenault

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Jim Doolittle wrote:

> http://www.sfbg.com/SFLife/32/47/furries.html
>
> Where's my asbestos...
>
> -Jim

when i see an article about the fandom that doesn't
include the word 'yiff', i'll be happy. or 'plush' for
that matter..
or 'boink'
or 'furrymuck'
i realize that'd make for a darn boring article, but at
least it'd be a truthful one.

--

S. arsenault
Yerf

survey says..!
XXX!!

Thomas K. Dye

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98

Jim Doolittle <dool...@uiuc.edu> wrote in article
<doolittl-260...@gimli.isdn.uiuc.edu>...

> http://www.sfbg.com/SFLife/32/47/furries.html
>

> Where's my asbestos...

Wow! The Bay Guardian did an article! I've been submitting stuff to them
for God knows how long. My brother, Allan (whom some of you may know from
Yerf) won one of their cartoon contests. And it's the source of one of my
favorite comics in America today, "This Modern World." So I've been
familiar with it for some time. I picked up my copy this morning on my way
to work, and now here's my two Lincoln medallions' worth.

The SF Bay Guardian is rife with polemic progressivism, something which I'm
generally fine with, but it can veer into Blumrichian obscurantism at
times, making a lot of people who feel *generally* like they're on the left
side of the mainstream feel a bit out of it. (And of course, by no sheer
coincidence, it singled out Blumrich in the article. He's a natural for
them, quite frankly.) So the tone of this article was no surprise; in
fact, it was quite well-balanced for the Guardian, probably in an attempt
to "introduce" something's that's alien to even the most ardent
alternate-lifestyle fancier.

But just liking Tiny Toons or Disney's Robin Hood, or appreciating
furrydom's heritage dating back to ancient Egypt and Greece's Aesop, is
*still* too prosaic for the Guardian. The writer *could* have emphasized
the "coming out" aspect ("Wow, there are other people who like this
stuff!") but instead, thrust herself headfirst into the maelstrom of
activity that is furrydom, and did basically an episodic, case-by-case
study of individual aspects that caught her attention. In general, if she
wasn't familiar with it, this is to be expected. And to be quite honest, I
don't think *anyone* is quite adept at elucidating their first experience
with "furriness." Especially in a very nurturing online environment, one
loses the ability to explain to the "bonehead mundane" exactly what he/she
sees in it, how he/she found out he/she liked it, etc. It becomes, "I
always knew I wanted to be a wolf. My friends can back me up." (Thousands
of online voices: "Oh yeah. He's a wolf.")

Even I have trouble with explaining how I got interested in furry stuff.
Heck, I liked it long before I knew it was called *furry*, and I'll bet
many, many people can say the same. So basically what most people did was
put a name to something they've liked pretty much all their life. And as
we all know, that name has a lot of people's pawprints all over it,
additional little tags like "furry is this" and "furry is that". Thus the
confusion mounts, so much so that when a mundane reporter from the nation's
hotbed of progressive ideals and alternate lifestyles comes in asking "So
what's all this about, then?" you will get a cacophony of voices and an
equal multitude of silences.

As a result, the article was as well-balanced and as coherent as the fandom
is itself. Sure, plushophilia may have been over-represented. Did "boink"
have to be in the glossary? (I dunno. Do we want to hear a blow by blow
of how genetic material from the executive branch of government got onto a
dress?) Heck, I think "furveys" are rare as well, for that matter. But it
was a peek into the world, not a doctorate thesis on furrydom. And as such
it was successful. It attempted to give some historical and psychological
background, while at the same time giving a glimpse into the excesses and
everyday examples. A furry friend of mine noted what a shame it was that
it came out when Yerf was down. (It gave Yerf's URL too in the article.
Sulllllllllly.... give us an update!!!!!!) But that's not the fault of the
writer. It could have stayed with the sensationalist sites, five hundred
pages of beautiful Doug Winger, but it didn't. So, all in all, considering
the state of disarray furry fandom is in now, this was as good an attempt
to unravel it as any.

I give it two paws up! I hope it's a beginning for even more insightful
articles. I think there's a great potential for examination and
exploration in anthromorphics, that's why I enjoy it so much. It's a big
exciting furry world out there to explore! Let's go, guys!

Heh heh. ;)

Thomas K. Dye
www.newshounds.com
Kevin J. Dog on Yiffnet

"Do you ever get the feeling.... that everybody's on the stage and it seems
like you're the only person sitting in the audience?" --JT

Dr. Cat

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Nope, I can't agree. Not an acceptable article, it mentioned sex a
number of times, and even some specific details and stuff. Totally
shocking to all of the general public, our reptuation is ruined, the vice
cops will descend on all of our cons and our web pages tomorrow. The
furry fandom is about to be destroyed yet again.

**** keeeerash ****

Ooops, there it just went, shattered all over the floor in a million
little pieces. (Be careful where you step, they're sharp and pointy!)

Well I will miss you folks, I loved you all very much, even the ones I
hated. I am sorry that we can't talk to each other any more but with the
fandom destroyed now it just isn't possible.

*-------------------------------------------**-----------------------------*
Dr. Cat / Dragon's Eye Productions || Free alpha test:
*-------------------------------------------** http://www.bga.com/furcadia
Furcadia - a new graphic mud for PCs! || Let your imagination soar!
*-------------------------------------------**-----------------------------*

(Disclaimer: Could it be the furry fandom is finally lightening up? An
article with lots of mention of sex is published and nobody goes off the
deep end about it but me, ever the most timid and alarmist and fearful
among us so I don't even count anyway? Tune in next scandal to find out
what happens next! Same Cat-time, same Cat-newsgroup!)

Chuck Melville

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
John & Paula Knode <trin...@bright.net> wrote in article
<35E45326...@bright.net>...

> If the Plushophiles are a minority even in the fandom, then please do
> not to go into the details of their activities. I have no problem with
> what these people do, but alot of this stuff should be their business. I
> believe defining "Poke and Soak" was not necessary.

I agree; I could also have done without that; it was far more than I
really needed to know.
I also agree with Jim Doolittle's remark that it was just a tad fixated on
sex, and could have done with a shift in focus.
But for all that, I also have to agree it was a very good article all the
same. Not only favorable, but remarkably well-researched (for as far as
she got, anyway). If the writer seemed a bit bemused at times, she comes
off as viewing us almost affectionately. It -was- pretty well balanced for
the most part, and for once I don't feel sleazy after having read a feature
article about furry fandom.
...but I -do- wish there was a bit more about the -fandom literature-; no
mention of the APAs or the fanzines, like YARF! or PAWPRINTS? Well, I'm
nitpicking now. I'm content in that it was a -positive- piece, and almost
a reccomendation.

--

-Chuck Melville-
"We'd like to buy a cat. Preferably one with a history of mental illness."

Thomas K. Dye

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
> when i see an article about the fandom that doesn't
> include the word 'yiff', i'll be happy. or 'plush' for
> that matter..
> or 'boink'
> or 'furrymuck'
> i realize that'd make for a darn boring article, but at
> least it'd be a truthful one.

I never heard "boink" before and I never want to hear it again. As for
"yiff", it *is* omnipresent. "Furrymuck"? What's wrong with that one? As
for "plush"... unless they're talking about furs who are into Stone Temple
Pilots, I tend to agree. ;)

They did mention Yerf though, Sully, and they didn't have to.

Thomas K. Dye
www.newshounds.com

Mutt

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
> when i see an article about the fandom that doesn't
> include the word 'yiff', i'll be happy. or 'plush' for
> that matter..
> or 'boink'
> or 'furrymuck'
> i realize that'd make for a darn boring article, but at
> least it'd be a truthful one.

That doesn't make any sense. The word "yiff" was created by the fandom.
Plushies are part of the fandom. And FurryMUCK is a mainly furry muck
(Hence the name). How would leaving those out of the article make it more
truthful?

ilr

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Because they mentioned the Word Anthropomorphics.
And everyone knows That Anthropomorphics don't
boink, Yiff, muck, or follow leash laws. I must
be an Anthropomorphics since I don't do any of
those either.
-ilr

HeHe, Poke & Soak.
well There goes my whole
image of Christopher Robins
thank you very much.
Do plushies usually have a
good sense of humor?
*Cringes and laughs at the
thought that someone might
be getting a peice of "Eeiore"
right now.*

Chuck Melville

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
lon...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<6s37e0$ndo$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> >when i see an article about the fandom that doesn't
> >include the word 'yiff', i'll be happy. or 'plush' for
> >that matter..
> >or 'boink'
> >or 'furrymuck'
> >i realize that'd make for a darn boring article, but at
> >least it'd be a truthful one.
> It appears some people here didn't read the Bay Guardian article very
> attentively. It wasn't about 'the fandom'. I can find at most three
> complete paragraphs and a few individual sentences scattered here and
> there that refer to the trappings of furry fandom (i.e. funny animals,
> artwork, stories, publications, cons, etc.).

Considering that covered most of the first -half- of the article, I come
away with the impression that it was indeed about the fandom, at least in
part. In truth, it appears that the author was attempting to cover as much
of both furry groups as possible, perhaps not understanding (or perhaps
considering it irrelevant) that there is a division between the two, and
focused for the most part on the common interests.

>The _far_ greater portion
> of the article was actually about furry subjects that the purists here
> have always insisted are _peripheral_ to the fandom (i.e. mucking, role
> playing, 'being furry', totems, plushies, fursuits, and the like). Go
> back and read the article again, and you'll see what I mean. That piece
> was not about furry _fandom_, it was about furry _people_. IOW, it was
> an article that was centered around the subject of furry _lifestyles_.

It -was- undeniably slanted in that regard. Which is why some of us
aren't completely satisfied.

> Now it's pretty obvious why the Bay Guardian article only mentioned
> alt.lifestyle.furry. They weren't all that interested in the fannish
> element, so why mention AFF at all? Anyway, anyone on the outside
> looking in at online furrydom today can see plainly with their own eyes
> that ALF is the main furry Usenet NG now. Most days there's much more
> traffic there than here, and much more interesting traffic, too.

-That's- debateable. More traffic, yes. -Interesting- depends on POV.
If you find it interesting, fine.

> 'The fandom' isn't the center of the furry universe anymore, old guys.
> You few don't define 'furry' for anybody else now. Those days are OVER.
> Like the article says, "...'furry' turns out to be solely a matter of
> self-definition." I don't, never have and never will define my personal
> furryness in terms of your funny animal fandom.

And that's the biggest complaint I have with the term 'furry': is that it
-is- defined and redefined by everybody and his brother to the point that
it no longer has a readily recognizeable definition. It's pudding. Which
is why I don't care to be called a furry anymore; it no longer means
anything, least of all what it meant when I -was- one.

If the article -is- meant to reflect lifestylers rather than both furry
groups, as I believe it actually does, then it only does the fandom a
greater disservice, not in publishing a negative review, but in throwing
over the heart and origins of furry for a neo-group whose general interests
have almost nothing to do with the fandom at all, save for a common general
interest in animals, and with whom ties are at best tenuous.
But I reread the article, and although it is heavier on lifestylers than I
would have cared for, it is still a favorable write-up for -both- aspects
of furry, and it is clear that it -is- inclusive of both groups.

Chuck Melville

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
lon...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<6s3lu8$62l$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> The whole first section of the article is about VR role-playing. Not a
> part of furry fandom, say many here.

Correct; it serves as an introduction to the article in general.

> Another whole section is about
> lifestylers and plushies, and a third whole section is all about
> fursuits. Not parts of furry fandom, say many here. The only portions
> of the article which are solidly about furry fandom are the first two
> paragraphs of the section 'Take a walk on the furry side', and the
> paragraph above it wherein YARF! is mentioned.

I think you're shortchanging us; I consider the portion about fandom to
begin much sooner, immediately after the Leash & Collar opening. In fact,
the entire section about "Anthropomorphing" I consider to be largely about
fandom, as it frequently mentions comics, fanzines, animation, commercials
with animals, and web pages (which usually feature furry art). The section
does also give mention to mucks and fursuits and such, but the focus here
seems to be more squarely on the fandom, and continues on until it reaches
the third paragraph of the "Take A Walk On The Furry Side" section.

> All other references to
> furry fandom in the article are single or in some cases small clusters
> of sentences dispersed throughout the piece. The article does, in fact,
> focus on lifestyle, with the fandom being merely a sidelight. I stand
> by my original claim that the overall article was _not_ about furry/
> anthro fandom, as most previous contibutors to this thread seemed to
> assume.

I think you're just a little too eager to claim this article for
yourselves; although I do agree there's a heavier slant towards lifestyler
than should be, it is without question intended to be a coverage of both

rho...@rocketmail.com

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Wow, what a cool newsgroup!

I'm kinda new here, and so I guess I'd better introduc mylsef. My internet
handle is Babs Bunny.

I discovered this place when I got bored one day and decided to search the
web for stuff on the Get Along gang, which used to be one of my fave furry
cartoons when I was a kid (I had a plush toy of the kitty cat, remember him?)
The rest is history!:):)

So, speaking of the Get Along Gang, I have a couple of questions. Does
anyone have any pics of the kitty or anything? Does anyone know the lyrics
to the theme song? And does anyone remember his name? I always referred to
my plush as "Mr. Kittypuss" (hey I was 8--old enough to know better, but
young enough not to care!:) but I know THAT'S not right! I was a weird kid.
LOL! Anyway, I'll quit rambling, and if anyone can answer my questions it
would be much appreciated!

Luv, Babs Bunny (and "Mr. Kittypuss" who is now in my basement collecting
dust..:)

M. High

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <01bdd05a$cbdc7a20$LocalHost@kathleen> Chuck Melville,
cp...@zipcon.net writes:
> While I can't vouch that the post is actually Eric's, it certainly -does-
>sound like him, attitude, viewpoint and all. (The email address certainly
>sounds like something he would choose, though.)
> And he has best and most eloquently expressed the sense of frustration and
>outrage that a lot of us have felt over the past few years at seeing the
>outre' elements infiltrate furrydom, pushing aside the original and basic
>centers of furry fandom, and altering the focus and content.

Amen to that.

Sort of like watching a giant plague slowly spread, consuming everything
in its path.

And people wonder why "furries" are sniggered at and looked down upon by,
well, pretty much everyone in the world of comics. Sigh.

Brenda Daverin

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <01bdd06c$dc6b3220$LocalHost@kathleen>, "Chuck Melville"
<cp...@zipcon.net> wrote:

> lon...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
> <6s3lu8$62l$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>
> > The whole first section of the article is about VR role-playing. Not a
> > part of furry fandom, say many here.
>
> Correct; it serves as an introduction to the article in general.

And I'd like to point out for historical purposes that VR role-playing was
a part of furry fandom before FurryMUCK. I spent many hours and dollars on
calling BBSes like Tiger's Den back in the 1980's, where we had to write
paragraphs of action and dialogue instead of being able to do instant
reaction conversation in a chat environment with built-in description
files and actions. This interaction was considered part and parcel of
furfannish activity back then, not required by any means, but part
nonetheless. The fact that the multi-user environments on the Internet
have expanded the access to this sort of thing above and beyond the fandom
does not negate its link. That would be like saying the English langugae
has no link to England because people who weren't born in England use it.

S. arsenault

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
lon...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> >when i see an article about the fandom that doesn't
> >include the word 'yiff', i'll be happy. or 'plush' for
> >that matter..
> >or 'boink'
> >or 'furrymuck'
> >i realize that'd make for a darn boring article, but at
> >least it'd be a truthful one.

> It appears some people here didn't read the Bay Guardian article very
> attentively. It wasn't about 'the fandom'.

let me add 'lifestyle' to that list.
they have nothing to do with the fandom either...

--

S. arsenault
Yerf

Lucas

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
S. arsenault <su...@yerf.com> wrote in article
<35E5F5E9...@yerf.com>...

> lon...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> let me add 'lifestyle' to that list.
> they have nothing to do with the fandom either...

That is true. Furry lifestyle is not a problem, people mixing it up and
squishing it in together with fandom is. Hear Me, Ye Writer Of Articles,
And Take Note!

blc...@doitnow.com

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98

I happen to remember "Mr. Kittypuss" as well. He's the athlete of
the Get Along Gang. His name is "Zipper Cat". I myself own a small
figurine of him.

Allen Kitchen

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98

Lucas <luk...@triton.net> wrote in article
<01bdd21f$084990e0$4c04acd1@default>...

> S. arsenault <su...@yerf.com> wrote in article
> <35E5F5E9...@yerf.com>...
> > lon...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > let me add 'lifestyle' to that list.
> > they have nothing to do with the fandom either...
>
> That is true. Furry lifestyle is not a problem, people mixing it up and
> squishing it in together with fandom is.

Sayest thou?

Why is everyone suddenly bashing Lifestylers? About a third of them
are also in the fandom you know.

Allen Kitchen

rho...@rocketmail.com

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98

> I happen to remember "Mr. Kittypuss" as well. He's the athlete of
> the Get Along Gang. His name is "Zipper Cat". I myself own a small
> figurine of him.

Zipper..THAT'S it!! Thanks! I must say though, that his real name is a far
cry from "Mr. Kittypuss"! LOLOL! Yeah, I remember that he was an
athelete.."Mr. Kittypuss" still has that sweatsuit and everything..

I dunno..I think though, that of all the characters, that cat (well, KITTEN,
since he was still a kid:) Was the most miscast. I mean, I could see him as
maybe the rich pampered one, or if ANYTHINg exercise related, perhaps a
gymnast, AND female, but not as an athlete! It just seems a little "off"..I
don't know why; maybe it's because most of the cats I know are lazy and self
indulgent! LOL!

Speaking of characters, furries and casting, are there any good online furry
roleplaying games that are NOT MUCKS and DON'T require telnet or IRC or
anything?

Thanks!

Babs Bunny

xyd...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
Allen Kitchen wrote:
> Why is everyone suddenly bashing Lifestylers? About a third of them
> are also in the fandom you know.

Oh, it's not "everyone". It's just the usual suspects who can't tolerate the
idea that they might have something in common with Lifestylers.

That means they'd have to _share_, after all... -:)

---Xydexx Squeakypony (furry fan AND furry lifestyler)

Wanderer

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98

rho...@rocketmail.com wrote in message <6s42lo$lll$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Wow, what a cool newsgroup!

We like to think so.;) Greetings!:)

>I'm kinda new here, and so I guess I'd better introduc mylsef. My internet
>handle is Babs Bunny.

Mine's Wanderer. Nice to meetcha, Babs.:)

>I discovered this place when I got bored one day and decided to search the
>web for stuff on the Get Along gang, which used to be one of my fave furry
>cartoons when I was a kid (I had a plush toy of the kitty cat, remember
him?)
> The rest is history!:):)

<chuckle> Yeah, I watched every episode I could get my grubby little paws
on.:> Did you know it's in some video stores?

>So, speaking of the Get Along Gang, I have a couple of questions. Does
>anyone have any pics of the kitty or anything? Does anyone know the lyrics
>to the theme song? And does anyone remember his name? I always referred to
>my plush as "Mr. Kittypuss" (hey I was 8--old enough to know better, but
>young enough not to care!:) but I know THAT'S not right! I was a weird
kid.
>LOL! Anyway, I'll quit rambling, and if anyone can answer my questions it
>would be much appreciated!

Okay, here's my set of answers:

1.) "Mr. Kittypuss" is a plush of Zipper Cat, the most athletic (and
strongest) member of the Gang. A bit overbearing at times (or overcatting,
it's hard to say ... ;), he's usually a sweet guy anyway ... unless Bingo
Beaver pulls a prank on him or one of his other friends.:>

2.) Here are the lyrics to the theme song (they used it to open and close
the show):

Get Along Gang, Get Along Gang,
Each one so special in his own way.
Montgomery's the leader and he's such a good sport,
Get Along Gang, Get Along Gang!

Woolma and Dotty with the spirit,
Bingo the prankster doesn't ruin it.
Logical Portia will figure it out,
And then there's Zipper, the lean machine!

Get up! With the Get Along Gang.
The Clubhouse Caboose on its way.
Get up! With the Get Along Ga-a-a-a-a-a-ang
Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah,
Get up!

(I rented Volume 2 last month;)

>Luv, Babs Bunny (and "Mr. Kittypuss" who is now in my basement collecting
>dust..:)

Get him out of there, would you? Aside from the dust being needed
elsewhere, plushies are best kept in a warm embrace with plenty of soft
love.;)

Yours truly,

The cuddle-happy,

Wanderer**wand...@applink.net
Where am I going?I don't quite know.
What does it matter where people go?
Down to the woods where the bluebells grow.
Anywhere! Anywhere! *I*don't know!

blc...@doitnow.com

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98

><chuckle> Yeah, I watched every episode I could get my grubby little paws
>on.:> Did you know it's in some video stores?
>

>>So, speaking of the Get Along Gang, I have a couple of questions. Does
>>anyone have any pics of the kitty or anything? Does anyone know the lyrics
>>to the theme song? And does anyone remember his name? I always referred to
>>my plush as "Mr. Kittypuss" (hey I was 8--old enough to know better, but
>>young enough not to care!:) but I know THAT'S not right! I was a weird
>kid.
>>LOL! Anyway, I'll quit rambling, and if anyone can answer my questions it
>>would be much appreciated!
>
>Okay, here's my set of answers:
>
>1.) "Mr. Kittypuss" is a plush of Zipper Cat, the most athletic (and
>strongest) member of the Gang. A bit overbearing at times (or overcatting,
>it's hard to say ... ;), he's usually a sweet guy anyway ... unless Bingo
>Beaver pulls a prank on him or one of his other friends.:>

Would you believe that there are actually two flavors of the Get
Along Gang? Same basic characters but one was a series and one was a
one shot (Plot episode perhaps) produced by Lorimar. The difference
between the Lormimar version and the series version is that the
Lorimar version features characters that are a little bit more cutsey
and are cast with different voice actors. (For example, Montgomery
Moose speaks with a dixie drawl in the Lorimar version-he does not
during the Get Along Gang cartoons you saw as a series).

Nate Patrin

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
Locandez <ahs...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Furveys play a fairly significant part on alt.lifestyle.furry, so that
part
> of the article was correct; the main mistake was saying that they are
posted
> on "newsgroups"; the plural is a mistake.

I haven't posted to a.l.f. in who the hell knows how long (and when I did
post there, it was usually regarding Buster_Charlie's writings). Yet I
still managed to fill out the Furvey because it had been crossposted to
a.f.f. So the plural is not a mistake.

--
-Nate Patrin, who forgot to swear. Unless you think "hell" is a swear word.
"Will I be drawing these damn rabbits forever?" -Matt Groening, 1990

rho...@mailexcite.com

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
In article <35e77cd7...@news.doitnow.com>,

blc...@doitnow.com wrote:

> ><chuckle> Yeah, I watched every episode I could get my grubby little paws
> >on.:> Did you know it's in some video stores?

Really? I haven't seen that show in YEARS..although I DID recently dig up
Mr. Kittypuss and dust him off! Now he sits on my bed!

> >Okay, here's my set of answers:
> >
> >1.) "Mr. Kittypuss" is a plush of Zipper Cat, the most athletic (and
> >strongest) member of the Gang. A bit overbearing at times (or overcatting,
> >it's hard to say ... ;), he's usually a sweet guy anyway ... unless Bingo
> >Beaver pulls a prank on him or one of his other friends.:>

How could I forget! I still remember Mr. Ki-- er I mean ZIPPER yelling
"BIIIINGOOO!!" I always had him pegged as a bit bossy..LOL! Isn't that just
like a cat?

> Would you believe that there are actually two flavors of the Get
> Along Gang? Same basic characters but one was a series and one was a
> one shot (Plot episode perhaps) produced by Lorimar. The difference
> between the Lormimar version and the series version is that the
> Lorimar version features characters that are a little bit more cutsey
> and are cast with different voice actors. (For example, Montgomery
> Moose speaks with a dixie drawl in the Lorimar version-he does not
> during the Get Along Gang cartoons you saw as a series).

I remember the Lorimar version vaguely. There was this grey thing that
looked like a kooshball in a sailor suit!

Babs Bunny

rho...@mailexcite.com

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98

> We like to think so.;) Greetings!:)

Well, greetings to you too!

> Mine's Wanderer. Nice to meetcha, Babs.:)

It's a pleasure to meet you too, Wanderer!

> <chuckle> Yeah, I watched every episode I could get my grubby little paws
> on.:> Did you know it's in some video stores?

Is it? Why, I haven't seen that show in YEARS! I'll have to look about and
rent it!

> 1.) "Mr. Kittypuss" is a plush of Zipper Cat, the most athletic (and
> strongest) member of the Gang. A bit overbearing at times (or overcatting,
> it's hard to say ... ;), he's usually a sweet guy anyway ... unless Bingo
> Beaver pulls a prank on him or one of his other friends.:>

Yeah, he was my all time favourite! mainly because he's a cat, and I ADORE
cats!

> 2.) Here are the lyrics to the theme song (they used it to open and close
> the show):
>
> Get Along Gang, Get Along Gang,
> Each one so special in his own way.
> Montgomery's the leader and he's such a good sport,
> Get Along Gang, Get Along Gang!
>
> Woolma and Dotty with the spirit,
> Bingo the prankster doesn't ruin it.
> Logical Portia will figure it out,
> And then there's Zipper, the lean machine!
>
> Get up! With the Get Along Gang.
> The Clubhouse Caboose on its way.
> Get up! With the Get Along Ga-a-a-a-a-a-ang
> Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah,
> Get up!

> (I rented Volume 2 last month;)

ADORABLE!!! You know, even when I was a kid, I never could figure out what
the lyrics were! Now, after 13 years, thanks to you, I can now rest!:):)

> Get him out of there, would you? Aside from the dust being needed
> elsewhere, plushies are best kept in a warm embrace with plenty of soft
> love.;)

You BET! In fact, I dug him up, dusted him off, and now I snuggle up with
him at night! In fact, since it was him (in a roundabout way) that led me to
unearth the "secret realm of furries":), I've made him a sort of
"representative" of my furry self!:)

Thanks guys! This is gonna be a FUN exPURRience!

Furrily,

Babs Bunny (and now, Mr. Kittypuss!)

Wanderer

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
blc...@doitnow.com wrote in message <35e77cd7...@news.doitnow.com>...

(snip)

> Would you believe that there are actually two flavors of the Get
>Along Gang? Same basic characters but one was a series and one was a
>one shot (Plot episode perhaps) produced by Lorimar. The difference
>between the Lormimar version and the series version is that the
>Lorimar version features characters that are a little bit more cutsey
>and are cast with different voice actors. (For example, Montgomery
>Moose speaks with a dixie drawl in the Lorimar version-he does not
>during the Get Along Gang cartoons you saw as a series).

Huh. No, I can honestly say I didn't know that. Can you give me any more
information on the Lorimar one-shot? Better yet, could you send me a
copy?;)

Just half-kidding. If I understand you correctly, Lorimar basically made
the pilot, then there were changes (cast, company, etc.) between the pilot
and the series. So I really would like to know more.:)

Yours truly,

The ever-curious,

Wanderer

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
rho...@mailexcite.com wrote in message <6s990m$mkl$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
(snip ... re: The Get Along Gang)

>I remember the Lorimar version vaguely. There was this grey thing that
>looked like a kooshball in a sailor suit!

<chuckle> That was the original character design for Portia Porcupine.:>

Yours truly,

The remembering-how-fluffy-she-looked,

Wanderer

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
rho...@mailexcite.com wrote in message <6s99or$nnp$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>> We like to think so.;) Greetings!:)
>
>Well, greetings to you too!

<Wanderer hugs you ... he's that kinda wolf.>

>> Mine's Wanderer. Nice to meetcha, Babs.:)
>
>It's a pleasure to meet you too, Wanderer!

<deep bow> Thank you, milady ... it's always nice to be appreciated.:)

>> <chuckle> Yeah, I watched every episode I could get my grubby little
paws
>> on.:> Did you know it's in some video stores?
>
>Is it? Why, I haven't seen that show in YEARS! I'll have to look about and
>rent it!

Yeah, it's been out for awhile ... I know it's in *my* area, mind you, but
my store has an old tape. Hopefully, yours will be better.:) (I suggest
you try Blockbuster first ... if they don't have it, they have an 800 number
that will look it up for you and tell you which store to call to get it
transferred.:)

>> 1.) "Mr. Kittypuss" is a plush of Zipper Cat, the most athletic (and
>> strongest) member of the Gang. A bit overbearing at times (or
overcatting,
>> it's hard to say ... ;), he's usually a sweet guy anyway ... unless Bingo
>> Beaver pulls a prank on him or one of his other friends.:>
>
>Yeah, he was my all time favourite! mainly because he's a cat, and I ADORE
>cats!

I'm fond of them myself ... though, being a wolf, not all of them are fond
of *me* in return.;>

>> 2.) Here are the lyrics to the theme song (they used it to open and
close
>> the show):
>>
>> Get Along Gang, Get Along Gang,
>> Each one so special in his own way.
>> Montgomery's the leader and he's such a good sport,
>> Get Along Gang, Get Along Gang!
>>
>> Woolma and Dotty with the spirit,
>> Bingo the prankster doesn't ruin it.
>> Logical Portia will figure it out,
>> And then there's Zipper, the lean machine!
>>
>> Get up! With the Get Along Gang.
>> The Clubhouse Caboose on its way.
>> Get up! With the Get Along Ga-a-a-a-a-a-ang
>> Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah,
>> Get up!
>
>> (I rented Volume 2 last month;)
>
>ADORABLE!!! You know, even when I was a kid, I never could figure out what
>the lyrics were! Now, after 13 years, thanks to you, I can now rest!:):)

<blush> Aw, shucks ... :)

>> Get him out of there, would you? Aside from the dust being needed
>> elsewhere, plushies are best kept in a warm embrace with plenty of soft
>> love.;)
>
>You BET! In fact, I dug him up, dusted him off, and now I snuggle up with
>him at night! In fact, since it was him (in a roundabout way) that led me
>unearth the "secret realm of furries":), I've made him a sort of
>"representative" of my furry self!:)

Ah, an excellent choice!:)

>Thanks guys! This is gonna be a FUN exPURRience!

No GRRRoblem, Babs. We always try to YELP.;>

Yours punnily,

The joking,

blc...@doitnow.com

Aug 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/30/98

>Huh. No, I can honestly say I didn't know that. Can you give me any more
>information on the Lorimar one-shot? Better yet, could you send me a
>copy?;)
>
>Just half-kidding. If I understand you correctly, Lorimar basically made
>the pilot, then there were changes (cast, company, etc.) between the pilot
>and the series. So I really would like to know more.:)
>
>Yours truly,

Unfortunately I can't tell you more. My observations were based
on memories years old. I do not own any tapes of the Lorimar version
or the series version at all. Sorry.

blc...@doitnow.com

Aug 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/30/98

>How could I forget! I still remember Mr. Ki-- er I mean ZIPPER yelling
>"BIIIINGOOO!!" I always had him pegged as a bit bossy..LOL! Isn't that just
>like a cat?

What is your favorite Get Along Gang Episode? I think that mine
is either the one with the bullying pig sisters or the one featuring
Sammy Skunk.ssssssssssssss

Darrel L. Exline

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
Jim Doolittle wrote:

> http://www.sfbg.com/SFLife/32/47/furries.html
>
> Where's my asbestos...
>
> -Jim
>
> --
> Jim Doolittle
> dool...@uiuc.edu
> http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/doolittl

I like it! That was one damned good piece of well-researched journalism!

The only fault I could find was her limited definition of "YIFF".

Circa 1990: The sound an excited fox makes. (this did not necesarily have a
sexual connotation.) At ConFurence this year, the phrase "My ghod, it's full of
foxes" (ala Dave Bowman from 2001: a Space Odyssey) was coined.

Circa 1991: Young Intelligent F**able Fox.

Circa 1992: Young Intelligent F**able Furry.

and so on, and so on...

There were numerous varations on the theme for several years... until the last
"new" one I heard in Circa 1998 (which doesn't even sound furry anymore) "Yes
I'm Fully Functional".

I prefer the original 1990's meaning, which didn't have anything in particular
to do with sex. Back then, "Yiff!" was a greeting, not an acronym.

--
Darrel L. Exline, darrelx(a)home.com, http://www.polarden.org
a.k.a. Jym_Chago, "Your friendly neighborhood Polar Bear"

cat_...@angelfire.com

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
(Cat furry is me newsroup addy? You like?:)

> <Wanderer hugs you ... he's that kinda wolf.>

(Babs hus back. She's that sort of Bunny:)

> >It's a pleasure to meet you too, Wanderer!
>
> <deep bow> Thank you, milady ... it's always nice to be appreciated.:)

Well, it's always nice to appreciate!:):)

> Yeah, it's been out for awhile ... I know it's in *my* area, mind you, but
> my store has an old tape. Hopefully, yours will be better.:) (I suggest
> you try Blockbuster first ... if they don't have it, they have an 800 number
> that will look it up for you and tell you which store to call to get it
> transferred.:)

Maybe I'll do just that! I haven't seen it anywhere in my vicinity, and I
tried the local blackbuster and everything!

> I'm fond of them myself ... though, being a wolf, not all of them are fond
> of *me* in return.;>

The funny thin is, cats are my totem, but I'm a RABBIT (not that I mind!:)

> Ah, an excellent choice!:)

Yeah..considering I'm a rabbit, but hey, stranger things have happened!:)
Which reminds me about something regarding Zipper: I think he was the only
member of the Gang that actually acted like the animal he was! For instance,
I remember that in one episode he unsheathed his claws, and in another (I
think) he hissed at someone!

> No GRRRoblem, Babs. We always try to YELP.;>
>
> Yours punnily,
>
> The joking,
>
> Wanderer

(Laughs) Well, thank you again!:)

Babs Bunny

--
My Furry Code
FFDf3drw A++ C- D H+ M P++ R- T+++ W- Z Sf RLA/CT/LM a cdn++ d e+ f h* iw+++ j

cat_...@angelfire.com

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98

> What is your favorite Get Along Gang Episode? I think that mine
> is either the one with the bullying pig sisters or the one featuring
> Sammy Skunk.ssssssssssssss

Wow, there was a SKUNK? I don't remember that one! Cool! What was it about?

Anyway, my favourite episode would have to be... *thinks for a moment*
"Zipper's Millions". I don't remember too much about it, but I bet you can
guess why I liked it so much!:)

cat_...@angelfire.com

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98

> rho...@mailexcite.com wrote in message <6s990m$mkl$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> (snip ... re: The Get Along Gang)
> >
> >I remember the Lorimar version vaguely. There was this grey thing that
> >looked like a kooshball in a sailor suit!
> >
> <chuckle> That was the original character design for Portia Porcupine.:>

THAT was a PORCUPINE? It looked like a bloody TRIBBLE! LOL!!
That reminds me..Someone said that Mongomery's voice was different in the
Lorimar version..What about Zipper's voice?

Wanderer

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
cat_...@angelfire.com wrote in message
<6se66o$56n$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>> What is your favorite Get Along Gang Episode? I think that mine
>> is either the one with the bullying pig sisters or the one featuring
>> Sammy Skunk.ssssssssssssss
>
>Wow, there was a SKUNK? I don't remember that one! Cool! What was it
about?

<snip>

*That* one I know.:> (It was on the tape I rented.)

The episode was "Happy Birthday, Woolma". It's Woolma's birthday, and she's
expecting a big surprise party from the Gang. But she's *very* surprised
when she gets to the Clubhouse Caboose to find a note from the others saying
they've gone fishing. Hurt, she leaves a note of her own to let them know
she's going to visit her aunt who lives by the docks, then leaves.

A short time later, the Gang returns ... with party fixings! Using the note
to throw her off track, they're setting up a *real* surprise party!
However, as Bingo and Zipper put together a makeshift table (Zipper uses his
claws to score the wood, which Bingo chews through), Dotty finds Woolma's
note. Zipper tells the Gang about the bad neighborhoods around the docks,
and they rush off to see that Woolma's all right.

Meanwhile, Woolma's arrived at her aunt's house. Pity her aunt's on
vacation. Despondent, she wanders over to a dockside carnival, where three
rotten raccoons surround her to try and get her money. Woolma is saved when
a carnival worker (carny) intervenes, scaring her assailants off. His name?
Sammy Skunk.

Having arrived in the area of the docks, the Gang find Woolma's ribbon (she
dropped it near her aunt's place) and begin to worry. To try and calm
themselves, they have lunch at a diner ... though for all of Zipper's
bluster about growing up on the docks, he's just as nervous as any of them.

Scene: Inside the diner

Dotty: Uh ... maybe we should go now.

Zipper: You ladies take all the time you want!

(He stares at a dog-faced dockworker ... who growls at him.)

Zipper: On the other hand, we really shouldn't dawdle ... <gets them out
the door>

While the gang deal with the diner, Sammy shows Woolma all around the
carnival. When she finally breaks down and tells him about her friends
"abandoning" her, he gets sad. "Yeah", he says. "People are like that
sometimes. That's ... why I live alone." To distract her (and himself)
from this topic, he shows her the Haunted House where he works ("I'm real
good at scarin' people.") and the makeshift lean-to where he lives. You can
almost see the two growing closer together ... which seems to surprise
Sammy. And it's a nice surprise.

Finally, Woolma figures she should call home so her parents won't be
worried. She ducks into a local drugstore while Sammy waits outside (his
idea, not hers).

By now, the Gang have overheard the three raccoons talking about "a girl"
who seemed lost, and how she went off with "Sammy Skunk ... the toughest
carny around". Figuring (rightly) that the girl is Woolma, they also figure
(wrongly) that Sammy Skunk is dangerous.

Then, they spot him (hey, he's the only skunk around, he's easy to spot).
Montgomery, a determined look on his face, begins to cross the street toward
him. Sammy sees him, and also starts across the street. Closer ... closer
... still closer they come ... and suddenly, Sammy leaps at Montgomery!

As the two roll to the side of the road, a truck rockets through the space
where Montgomery was standing just a moment before.

As the situation/misunderstanding threatens to degenerate into a fistfight,
Woolma returns from the drugstore and explains the situation as she sees it.
Then the Gang explain about the party.

All of that settled, Sammy, feeling like a fifth wheel in this group,
dejectedly begins to leave ... but Woolma stops him.

And in one great big birthday party for them both, Sammy actually gets a
little teary-eyed. When Woolma asks him to blow out the candles and make a
wish, he replies, "I got nothin' left to wish for."

The End.:)

Okay, it's been over a month since I last saw it ... but I'm close.:)

Yours truly,

The trying-to-remember,

blc...@doitnow.com

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 12:50:32 GMT, cat_...@angelfire.com wrote:

>> What is your favorite Get Along Gang Episode? I think that mine
>> is either the one with the bullying pig sisters or the one featuring
>> Sammy Skunk.ssssssssssssss
>
>Wow, there was a SKUNK? I don't remember that one! Cool! What was it about?
>

>Anyway, my favourite episode would have to be... *thinks for a moment*
>"Zipper's Millions". I don't remember too much about it, but I bet you can
>guess why I liked it so much!:)
>

>Babs Bunny
>

>--
>My Furry Code
>FFDf3drw A++ C- D H+ M P++ R- T+++ W- Z Sf RLA/CT/LM a cdn++ d e+ f h* iw+++ j
>p+ sf#

It had to do with Woolma Lamb's birthday. No one was
acknowledging her birthday so she went to the carnival alone where she
meets up with the a carnival worker named Sammy Skunk (he's a loner
becausen his scent drives people away). Does that jog your memory?

cat_...@angelfire.com

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98

> It had to do with Woolma Lamb's birthday. No one was
> acknowledging her birthday so she went to the carnival alone where she
> meets up with the a carnival worker named Sammy Skunk (he's a loner
> becausen his scent drives people away). Does that jog your memory?

Oh, YEAH...I think I remember that now! Another one I remember is the one
where Bingo has to overcome his fear of water! I remember it because that's
the episode where Zipper unsheathed his claws, though I forget why..

Dwight J. Dutton

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
Is there some crossover between furry fandom and batman fandom? Why is
"Robin" in the picture?

Steeleheart

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
Actually I don't think that it is Robin (I d/l'd the photo and blew it up),
but a guy with a "raccoon" type mask, or possibly face blac to allow the
eyes to merge into the head of a suit.

--
-Steeleheart
E-Mail tr...@adisys.com

A stranger is a friend you just havent met yet.
-Unknown

A lack of brains on your part,
DOES NOT constitute an Emergency on my part.
-Steeleheart
Dwight J. Dutton wrote in message
<3723-35E...@newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

new_fur

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
to new...@tgeller.com

Allen Kitchen wrote:

> I just hope we don't have a flood of newbies on Furrymuck now.
> I keep losing connections as it is.

So I'll be one of the newbies you'll find clogging up FurryMUCK, and I expect
I'll see you at a confurence some day.

The article did a lot of good. For me, anyway: I've started to come out as a
result of it.

I was shocked at how much I was affected by seeing the cover of the Bay
Guardian this past Wednesday: It was like finding something long lost that I
didn't even know was lost. I took the issue home, filled with a sense of
wonder and imminent discovery I haven't felt in a long time. I only scanned
the article, but its content wasn't the important part for me.

Sure, I'd known about furry fandom (and lifestyle), and known it intrigued me
somehow, but didn't give it much thought: I lumped it in with a lot of other
fantasy/science fiction genres. I think I was afraid of being sucked in, and
turned away.

And maybe it would have stayed hidden in me forever, if the SFBG article
hadn't come out at just the right moment for me. The past week has been a
heart-wrenching, thrilling period of learning about myself and this community.
The article reminded me of things that affect me deeply, and led me into
others: How often do you get such a chance?

Sorry if this comes off as maudlin, but it means a lot to me. I've "come out"
in several ways during my life, and this time feels especially sincere.

---
new...@tgeller.com
(new_fur on FurryMUCK)

new_fur

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98

new_fur

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98

Allen Kitchen

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98

new_fur <new...@tgeller.com> wrote in article
<35ECFF54...@tgeller.com>...

> Allen Kitchen wrote:
>
> > I just hope we don't have a flood of newbies on Furrymuck now.
> > I keep losing connections as it is.
>
> So I'll be one of the newbies you'll find clogging up FurryMUCK, and I
expect
> I'll see you at a confurence some day.

I was not coming down on newbies Newfur. In fact, if you
see me in the park, I'm sometimes helping guests and new
characters learn the basic commands. My post was a grumble
about the furry router and how it loses connections under heavy
loads.

Hope you enjoy Furrymuck. Welcome to the addiction :)

Allen Kitchen (shockwave)
http://www.blkbox.com/~osprey/furry.html

cat_...@angelfire.com

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
Wow, Wanderer, that was a great summary! Do ya know any others? I remember
that part where Zipper uses his claws, but I thought he used them to score
wood in the episode about Bingo's phobia of water!

Also, have any of the Gang's parents ever shown up in an episode? Do they
have any brothers or sisters? Has any more of my fave pussycat's history
been revealed? All I know is that he claimed to come from the dock's..a
rough side of town. Bored, I thought up my own theory about Zipper being
born in an alley and abandoned my his mother cat and so he had to fend for
himself by living on a diet of wharf rats and fish, until he's picked up by
this guy (let's say he's another cat) who lived in the docks as well and who
takes after him.

I guess it doesn't make sense, as Zipper's still very much a kitten, and an
athlete, AND he lives in the good part of town!

What do you think, Wanderer (and anyone else?) Do you have any theorys or
stories about the Get Along Gang's history?

Babs Bunny

blc...@doitnow.com

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
On Fri, 04 Sep 1998 16:06:25 GMT, cat_...@angelfire.com wrote:

>Also, have any of the Gang's parents ever shown up in an episode? Do they
>have any brothers or sisters? Has any more of my fave pussycat's history
>been revealed? All I know is that he claimed to come from the dock's..a
>rough side of town. Bored, I thought up my own theory about Zipper being
>born in an alley and abandoned my his mother cat and so he had to fend for
>himself by living on a diet of wharf rats and fish, until he's picked up by
>this guy (let's say he's another cat) who lived in the docks as well and who
>takes after him.

Egads Bingo Igor! I think we've created a monster. ;-D
To the best of my knowledge no immediate family member of the Get
Along Gang was profiled. Zipper's aunt figures in "Zipper's Millions"
but that's about it.

cat_...@angelfire.com

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98

> Egads Bingo Igor! I think we've created a monster. ;-D

LOL! And a furry one at that!:)

> To the best of my knowledge no immediate family member of the Get
> Along Gang was profiled. Zipper's aunt figures in "Zipper's Millions"
> but that's about it.

Yeah, I remember something like that..Again my memory fails me a bit but
regarding that episode, I got the impression that Zipper's aunt and uncle
weren't cats.. Were they? The last time I saw that episode I was 8 or 9!

Babs Bunny

Wanderer

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98

cat_...@angelfire.com wrote in message
<6sp361$36m$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Wow, Wanderer, that was a great summary! Do ya know any others? I
remember
>that part where Zipper uses his claws, but I thought he used them to score
>wood in the episode about Bingo's phobia of water!

<chuckle> You're very welcome!:) I don't remember too very much about
individual episodes ... it's been some years since it was on the air, after
all ... but I do remember the other eps from the tape:

1.) It's the middle of a drought in town, and the Gang's favorite swimming
hole has dried up. So Zipper (ever-resourceful kitten that he is) gets an
idea ... the clubhouse is a caboose, after all, so why not hook it up to a
train headed for the seashore? Great idea ... just one problem.

He hooks up the caboose to the wrong train. Instead of the Island Express,
they wind up hooked to the Polar Express, which takes them northward into
the snow (much to Zipper's surprised dismay ... after all, he was already in
his swimsuit). Fortunately, the townspeople are kind, and kit them out with
winter clothing.

Hearing strange noises, the Gang learns that a strange creature is
terrorizing the town ... and all anyone knows is that it's huge and white.
So you can imagine their surprise when, in the middle of their peanut-butter
sandwiches, the creature reaches in with one long, ropelike limb and takes
Zipper!

The townspeople, already nervous, go a little crazy ... understandable with
a kidnapped kitten ... and organize a search party of frightened townsfolk.
Meanwhile, the Gang (with Montgomery in the lead) track the creature to a
cave ... outside of which they find Zipper's headband! Entering cautiously,
they're surprised (and thankfully so) to find Zipper doing fine, along with
the creature ... an elephant! (He was covered in snow, which was the white
part ... and let's face it, would *you* recognize a moving snowdrift as an
elephant?). Apparently, the elephant was really after Zipper's
peanut-butter sandwich (he's a bit hungry, and the Gang figure he's escaped
from a circus).

Suddenly, they hear a loud commotion outside the cave. The townspeople have
found them ... and they're so nervous and frightened that they really aren't
thinking clearly (loud noise in a mountainous, snowy area ... not a good
thing). The Gang are frightened that they'll do something foolish ... when
the elephant suddenly breaks from the cave, stopping the townsfolk in their
tracks!

And that's when the avalanche hits. The Gang, having followed the elephant
(with Zipper riding on top) away from the cave, is safe, as are the
townspeople ... and the sudden shock of the avalanche starts them thinking
again. They quickly realize that the "creature" was all that kept them from
burying themselves under the mountain.

Back in town with some hot cocoa, the townsfolk quickly trak down the
elephant's home circus and arrange to ship him back there. In addition, out
of gratitude to the Gang for keeping their heads, they give them an
all-expenses-paid trip to the beach!

Later, as everyone relaxesin the surf and sun, Zipper gloats, "I told you
I'd get us to the beach."

Dotty replies, "Yeah, Zipper. We just took the long way to get here."

2.) It's the annual kite-flying contest, and everyone wants to enter ...
but the gang can't agree on a kite. So everyone makes a separate kite
entry. Problem is, while everyone's so busy, Portia, the youngest member of
the Gang, is getting ignored ... and she could use some help with her kite!
Angry at being ignored, Portia finally decides to make her kite herself.

Meanwhile, Bingo has a plan for winning the kite-flying contest ... a
gas-powered model airplane attached to the back of his kite!

Finally, the day of the contest arrives. Woolma's kite is as wooly as she
is, with cotton balls around the edges (and her face in the middle), while
Dotty's is a simple diamond kite with a flower design on it. Zipper's got a
fish-shaped kite (he calls it his "Tuna Surprise"), while Montgomery's kite
has antlers. And Bingo ... well, he keeps his kite out of the way.;>

Unfortunately, with nobody to help her carry her large kite, Portia is a
little late getting to the contest ... the string keeps tangling her feet.

And they're off! And everything's going smoothly ... until Bingo fires up
the hidden airplane. Taking off wildly, his motorized kite punches straight
through Woolma's kite, knocks an antler from Montgomery's kite, and causes
the "Tuna Surprise" to gobble up Dotty's kite before it crashes! Then,
before he can let go, Bingo is jerked off his feet ... and into the air!
And with a thunderstorm moving in, it's getting entirely too dangerous to be
in the air!

Just then, Portia arrives, tripping over her string *again* ... and is
carried into the air by her oversized kite! The rest of the Gang quickly
grab her string reel, and ask her to help save Bingo. She agrees, and the
race is on! Portia on one side ... the lightning on the other!

Just as the overstressed string on Bingo's kite finally gives way, Portia
manages to grab his hands ... but she can't hold him long! Working
together, the Gang quickly pulls in the string, bringing the two airborne
aviators to a safe (if bumpy) landing.

Bingo's grateful, and he and the others realize how badly they've been
behaving with this contest between them ... after all, their best moment
just came when they pulled together! So, as Portia gets the trophy for Best
Kite, they all head off to Mr. Hoofnagel's Ice Cream Shop for a victory
soda.:)

I'm pressed for time, so I can't tell you much about the last one ... except
that the Gang tries to help catch an escaped criminal ... and nearly helps
him get away!

>Also, have any of the Gang's parents ever shown up in an episode? Do they
>have any brothers or sisters? Has any more of my fave pussycat's history
>been revealed?

(snip)

Well, Montgomery's parents showed up in an episode (he takes after his
father), but I don't recall the others showing up. Anyone else have a
longer memory (or a better video library) than I do?:)

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

blc...@doitnow.com

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98

>I guess it doesn't make sense, as Zipper's still very much a kitten, and an
>athlete, AND he lives in the good part of town!

Question....we know that Zipper was born in the bad part of town.
In the episode "Happy Birthday Woolma" he gives the line "Now, don't
you worry...ol' Zipper was born along the waterfront". How do you
know he lives in the good part of town?

Dr. Cat

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
Richard Chandler - WA Resident (mau...@gte.net) wrote:
: Flames? Well, in a way it shows that plushie "boinking" is a small part of
: the fandom. So there's the old linkage flame.... But I'm not in the mood
: for that.

I keep telling myself it would be childish and immature of me to point
out the tremendous irony in this post. But then I mark it as unread, not
quite willing to let it go, either. And it pops up again next time I
browse AFF. Well this is it, I'm going to get rid of it by publically
stating that I'm not going to say what it is that's so ironic about this.

Which is still childish and immature of me, but purrhaps slightly less so!

Dr. Cat / Dragon's Eye Productions || Free alpha test:
Furcadia - a new graphic mud for PCs! || Let your imagination soar!

(Disclaimer: Nope, I'm not gonna say. Uh uh, no way. I mean hey, if
you'd been studying alt.fan.furry as if it were a serious literary work,
worthy of careful analysis, then you'd already know anyway!)