[OT] Bear cub taken from owner!

Happy the Delightful Bunny

Apr 22, 2002, 9:50:39 PM4/22/02
[Third in a series]

This article includes a photo of little "Charlie"! *Awwwwwww*

A story of a Long Island father who just wanted this wild animal to "grow up
as part of the family." Once again the government spoils the fun by sending
armed officials to confiscate the cub from his adoptive parents (he's the
ursine Elian!). I actually have more sympathy for this guy because at least
he had some open land for the bear to run around in, and he seems to have
experience raising wild animals.

http://www.newsday.com/ny-libear202677806apr20.story?coll=ny%2Dhomepage%2Dmo
re%2Dbreaking%2Dnews

Family Can't Bear Charlie's Absence

By Joseph Mallia
STAFF WRITER

April 20, 2002

Arthur Citrangola wants his baby bear back.

The bear, Charlie, is three months old, a foot tall, weighs 10 pounds, has
cinnamon-brown fur, and when several state environmental officers showed up
at Citrangola's Medford door Thursday night, they confiscated him.

They took the bear's powdered formula - a special mix that includes the
extra fats, calcium and fibers that a growing Ursus americanus needs - and
left behind a ticket charging Citrangola with possession of a bear without a
permit.

"We had two porta-cribs for it, one in the master bedroom and another in the
den," said Citrangola, 44, a builder, who said he has a 13-acre parcel of
open space where he'd wanted to raise the bear side-by-side with his other
animals - a white albino deer, emus, turkeys, peacocks, guinea hens, a
blue-and-gold macaw, a rabbit, a cat and two English mastiffs. A male
American black bear like Charlie can grow to about 350 pounds.

Citrangola had bought the bear for $700 about two months ago from Bearcat
Hollow, a wildlife farm in Racine, Minn. He and his wife drove the bear back
with them to Long Island.

On Friday, Citrangola said, he spent hours trying to find out where state
Department of Environmental Conservation officials were keeping the bear. "I
want to go see it, to see if it's OK," he said.

State DEC officials could not be reached for comment Friday night.

Citrangola said he appealed to the state officials to let him keep the bear
while he applies for a permit, so he doesn't lose the crucial early months
when the bear can bond with him, his wife, and his 4- and 8-year-old
daughters.

"It's only a baby. It followed me around like a puppy. We gave it an Eeyore
and some other stuffed animals," Citrangola said. He said he fed Charlie a
mix of bear formula, Gerber's rice cereal, applesauce and blueberries. "I
wanted to have it grow up as part of the family."

Three state environmental officials and two local animal control or humane
society officers showed up at Citrangola's house late Thursday, he said.
Three were wearing sidearms. "One of them said, 'Where's the bear?'" he
said. Someone had tipped state officials about the unlicensed bear, he said.

Citrangola led them to the bear, who was sleeping. He fed Charlie some
formula before letting them take him away. "He was sleeping. I picked him up
and said, 'This is it. Your big catch.'"
-------

Happy
(a.k.a. Lop Ears)

Silver Phoenyx Furs

Apr 22, 2002, 10:55:51 PM4/22/02
begin "Happy the Delightful Bunny" <happythebu...@yahoo.com>
quotation from news:aa2ehi$noi$1...@tiger.chameleon.net:

> white albino deer

Albino deer come in other colors?

Kitryn de Pluie

Apr 22, 2002, 11:06:00 PM4/22/02
On Mon 22 Apr 2002 10:55:51p, Silver Phoenyx Furs <silve...@phoenyx.net>
had the audacity to state the following:

> begin "Happy the Delightful Bunny" <happythebu...@yahoo.com>
> quotation from news:aa2ehi$noi$1...@tiger.chameleon.net:
>
>> white albino deer
>
> Albino deer come in other colors?

Oh, yeah.

Pink, green, purple, aquamarine, rainbow, invisible...

--
Kitryn de Pluie the Anthro Fox
DC: DC2.H^Mcf Gm L6f W T Pw Sku Cbk,bag,ebl,cag,wrb A- Fr++"mango" Nu

Silver Phoenyx Furs

Apr 22, 2002, 11:31:39 PM4/22/02
begin Kitryn de Pluie </dev/null> quotation from

> On Mon 22 Apr 2002 10:55:51p, Silver Phoenyx Furs
> <silve...@phoenyx.net> had the audacity to state the following:

>> Albino deer come in other colors?
>
> Oh, yeah.
>
> Pink, green, purple, aquamarine, rainbow, invisible...

No, no, no. Those got weeded out of the gene pool *way* early. Well,
except for the invisible ones.

(Hmm. Maybe I should add a line of camo gear to my offerings, for those
fursuiters whose fursonae are game species. Especially those of unusual
and/or non-invisible color...)

batty den

Apr 23, 2002, 7:32:19 AM4/23/02
"Happy the Delightful Bunny" <happythebu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>A story of a Long Island father who just wanted this wild animal to "grow up
>as part of the family."

The key words here are "wild animal."

It's a wild animal, not domesticated. It might become tame and trained but
it would still be a wild animal. How far does a wild bear range on an
average day? I bet a few acres of bush isn't enough.

And I bet the diet is wrong.

den

--
Credendo Vides
Bat Rescue Diaries soon at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~denbat

Super Jay

Apr 26, 2002, 11:13:23 AM4/26/02
>They took the bear's powdered formula - a special mix that includes the
>extra fats, calcium and fibers that a growing Ursus americanus needs - and
>left behind a ticket charging Citrangola with possession of a bear without
>permit.

At elast he wasn't charged with agressive Pandahandling ;)

But seriously, that's just really messed up.. a liscense to have a bear...
People can have pet snakes that are venomous and can kill humans easily and
don't need to liscense them :P

*is thankful he lives in Canadia*
-SuperJay