Houston Press on media coverage about furries

14 views
Skip to first unread message

Paul Johnson

unread,
Dec 17, 2003, 10:04:54 PM12/17/03
to
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/current/feature.html/1/index.html
Wild Kingdom
The furries are fighting like animals, just for a little respect

Looks like media coverage about media coverage. Houston Press must be
planning a slow news day tomorrow, the article is dated 12/18.

Seems like they're trying to run a positive human interest piece and
makes furries look like everyday people, if not a bit geeky and
eccentric.

Maybe we're starting to hit sci-fi's level of social acceptance, on a
smaller scale.

- --
.''`. Paul Johnson <ba...@ursine.ca>
: :' :
`. `'` proud Debian admin and user
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fix a system
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/4RlVUzgNqloQMwcRAl/qAJ49Hc/hGx4q4bipOyJumMmvJx/+UgCgtwpx
VPzQR+b+ZG2GL9G+mh411w0=
=ae7Y
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

MHirtes

unread,
Dec 17, 2003, 10:58:06 PM12/17/03
to
In article <m3i7b1-...@ursine.ca>, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursine.ca>
wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/current/feature.html/1/index.html
> Wild Kingdom
> The furries are fighting like animals, just for a little respect
>
> Looks like media coverage about media coverage. Houston Press must be
> planning a slow news day tomorrow, the article is dated 12/18.
>
> Seems like they're trying to run a positive human interest piece and
> makes furries look like everyday people, if not a bit geeky and
> eccentric.

I love it when furries are about to get another cluehammering.

William Earl Haskell

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 12:05:27 AM12/18/03
to
Paul Johnson wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/current/feature.html/1/index.html
> Wild Kingdom
> The furries are fighting like animals, just for a little respect
>
> Looks like media coverage about media coverage. Houston Press must be
> planning a slow news day tomorrow, the article is dated 12/18.
>
> Seems like they're trying to run a positive human interest piece and
> makes furries look like everyday people, if not a bit geeky and
> eccentric.
>
> Maybe we're starting to hit sci-fi's level of social acceptance, on a
> smaller scale.

I believe this is the same fellow who somehow got onto TAFF not long ago,
making inquiries about local furry activity. Haven't seen this article, but
will tomorrow. In the recent past HP's run cover stories on Anime, Gamers
and other such cultural riffraff, so I suppose it's a natural progression.

MHirtes

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 12:19:08 AM12/18/03
to
In article <3fe134d3$0$188$a726...@news.hal-pc.org>,

Until someone from Showtime comes along and cluebats everyone back to
reality. LOL!

Matt Harpold

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 1:54:55 AM12/18/03
to

"MHirtes" <ht...@jawholenewaddy.com> wrote in message
news:htes-130424.2...@news.central.cox.net...

Dude, call me a clown, just to drive home the fact that you don't have an
original bone in your body!

-Matt/Turb


MHirtes

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 2:44:40 AM12/18/03
to
In article <3bcEb.588056$Fm2.544255@attbi_s04>,
"Matt Harpold" <mhar...@comcast.net> wrote:

Nah. I'll just laugh at you while the fat black lady runs you over for
not putting mayo on her burger.

mouse

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 3:39:55 AM12/18/03
to
Paul Johnson <ba...@ursine.ca> wrote in message news:<m3i7b1-...@ursine.ca>...

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/current/feature.html/1/index.html
> Wild Kingdom
> The furries are fighting like animals, just for a little respect
>
> Looks like media coverage about media coverage. Houston Press must be
> planning a slow news day tomorrow, the article is dated 12/18.
>
> Seems like they're trying to run a positive human interest piece and
> makes furries look like everyday people, if not a bit geeky and
> eccentric.
>
> Maybe we're starting to hit sci-fi's level of social acceptance, on a
> smaller scale.

yeah!
i love how the article focuses partially on a kid who crawls out on
the fucking roof and HOWLS AT THE MOON and is on ANTI-PSYCHOTIC DRUGS
(not to mention has a shitload of other assorted mental problems)

and then 2 dumbass fursuiters who refuse to take off thier heads when
asked to by security and end up basically getting arrested over it

leave it to furries to try applying the whole 'mascots not removing
thier heads' thing to a situation involving cops

fair article ? yes
good press ? ...riiight , keep tellin yourself that

Matt Harpold

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 6:09:50 AM12/18/03
to

> > Dude, call me a clown, just to drive home the fact that you don't have
an
> > original bone in your body!
> >
>
> Nah. I'll just laugh at you while the fat black lady runs you over for
> not putting mayo on her burger.

Sweet! Another fast food reference. Haven't heard that one a hundred times
from you or anything. Tell me all about burgers, you're the expert!

-Matt/Turb

Lord Commander Solar Macharius

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 6:55:21 AM12/18/03
to
"Matt Harpold" <mhar...@comcast.net> shall never vanquished be until
great Birnam wood to high alt.fan.furry. hill shall come against him.

They shrink when cooking.

--
Take a ride on, ride on,
on your rotting horse
on that deadly ground
Take a ride, ride on,
on your rotting horse
with a pounding sound.

G. Raymond Eddy

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 11:23:03 AM12/18/03
to
mouse wrote:

> and then 2 dumbass fursuiters who refuse to take off thier heads when
> asked to by security and end up basically getting arrested over it

To be truthful, having tasted both the worlds of furry and
security, I'd have to side with the security officers. Whenever anybody
has their head covered with anything, I have to assume a need to hide
their identity. What I would have done differently is ordered the
fursuiters to come with me to a more private place and then tell them to
take their heads off and tell me what they're all about.

MHirtes

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 12:57:15 PM12/18/03
to
In article <a4a687a1.03121...@posting.google.com>,
mo...@blackvault.com (mouse) wrote:

> Paul Johnson <ba...@ursine.ca> wrote in message
> news:<m3i7b1-...@ursine.ca>...
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA1
> >
> > http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/current/feature.html/1/index.html
> > Wild Kingdom
> > The furries are fighting like animals, just for a little respect
> >
> > Looks like media coverage about media coverage. Houston Press must be
> > planning a slow news day tomorrow, the article is dated 12/18.
> >
> > Seems like they're trying to run a positive human interest piece and
> > makes furries look like everyday people, if not a bit geeky and
> > eccentric.
> >
> > Maybe we're starting to hit sci-fi's level of social acceptance, on a
> > smaller scale.
>
> yeah!
> i love how the article focuses partially on a kid who crawls out on
> the fucking roof and HOWLS AT THE MOON and is on ANTI-PSYCHOTIC DRUGS
> (not to mention has a shitload of other assorted mental problems)

Or how about the one with the pot-bellied pig who walks out in the yard
and down't care about all the lawn cigars "Fluffy: leaves around?

MHirtes

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 12:58:14 PM12/18/03
to
In article <2WfEb.77747$8y1.283944@attbi_s52>,
"Matt Harpold" <mhar...@comcast.net> wrote:

Actually no. You're the expert, what with your Ronald McDonald hair and
all that. :)

Ken Pick

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 1:07:24 PM12/18/03
to

Everybody pat Widdle Mikey on the head and give him a cookie...

Ken Pick

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 1:21:20 PM12/18/03
to
Paul Johnson <ba...@ursine.ca> wrote in message news:<m3i7b1-...@ursine.ca>...
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/current/feature.html/1/index.html
> Wild Kingdom
> The furries are fighting like animals, just for a little respect
>
> Looks like media coverage about media coverage. Houston Press must be
> planning a slow news day tomorrow, the article is dated 12/18.
>
> Seems like they're trying to run a positive human interest piece and
> makes furries look like everyday people, if not a bit geeky and
> eccentric.
>
> Maybe we're starting to hit sci-fi's level of social acceptance, on a
> smaller scale.

The main thrust of the article was it presents Furries as a grab-bag
of varied eccentrics, of which many have been screwed over by the
media concentrating on the extreme fringe of the spectrum. Compared
to Vanity Fair and/or MTV, this is pretty good coverage. "Fair and
Balanced", as the major news channel with the furry name puts it --
there's some crazies here, but they're only part of a full spectrum of
eccentricities. That and they got the background history summary
right.

(Of course, Hirtes did his usual shriek-and-gloat as soon as this
thread began; everyone pat Crazy Mikey on the head and give him
another cookie before taking him back into his attic.)

And anyone recognize "Andrew Mulcher", the only one of the first three
interviewees to give his real name? It's Kinky Turtle (Yig-Ped!), who
draws those funny con-report comic strips on his website. ("When
Fursuits Attack...")

Ken Pick

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 1:24:51 PM12/18/03
to
mo...@blackvault.com (mouse) wrote in message news:<a4a687a1.03121...@posting.google.com>...

> and then 2 dumbass fursuiters who refuse to take off thier heads when
> asked to by security and end up basically getting arrested over it
>
> leave it to furries to try applying the whole 'mascots not removing
> thier heads' thing to a situation involving cops

Ever talked to cops? A lot of similar weird stuff happens every day
in mundania. Somebody's going to be dumb; somebody's going to be
clueless; somebody's going to try a harmless stunt that ends up
backfiring on them.

As Sherlock Holmes puts it, this is just one of those incidents that
happens when you have X million people living in close proximity.

Matt Harpold

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 3:29:13 PM12/18/03
to

"MHirtes" <ht...@jawholenewaddy.com> wrote in message
news:htes-8A8985.1...@news.central.cox.net...

So Ron is a blonde now? News to me.

-Matt/Turb


MHirtes

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 4:00:45 PM12/18/03
to
In article <t6oEb.589730$Tr4.1561720@attbi_s03>,
"Matt Harpold" <mhar...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "MHirtes" <ht...@jawholenewaddy.com> wrote in message
> news:htes-8A8985.1...@news.central.cox.net...
> > In article <2WfEb.77747$8y1.283944@attbi_s52>,
> > "Matt Harpold" <mhar...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > > > > Dude, call me a clown, just to drive home the fact that you don't
> have
> > > an
> > > > > original bone in your body!
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > Nah. I'll just laugh at you while the fat black lady runs you over for
> > > > not putting mayo on her burger.
> > >
> > > Sweet! Another fast food reference. Haven't heard that one a hundred
> times
> > > from you or anything. Tell me all about burgers, you're the expert!
> >
> > Actually no. You're the expert, what with your Ronald McDonald hair and
> > all that. :)
>
> So Ron is a blonde now? News to me.
>

Ronald Jr. in all his gooey (I mean, glory):

http://david-drake.com/conglom.html

Gotta love that pic of "Dave" too. He looks like George Clontz when he
gives people "The Stare".

Oh well, at least Anna the fat chick had the ability to sense teh shame
and cover her face.

LOL!

DishRoom1

unread,
Dec 18, 2003, 4:43:10 PM12/18/03
to
Ken Pick wrote --

Paul Johnson wrote --

>> http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/current/feature.html/1/index.html
>> Wild Kingdom
>> The furries are fighting like animals, just for a little respect
>>
>> Looks like media coverage about media coverage. Houston Press must be
>> planning a slow news day tomorrow, the article is dated 12/18.
>>
>> Seems like they're trying to run a positive human interest piece and
>> makes furries look like everyday people, if not a bit geeky and
>> eccentric.
>>
>> Maybe we're starting to hit sci-fi's level of social acceptance, on a
>> smaller scale.
>
>The main thrust of the article was it presents Furries as a grab-bag
>of varied eccentrics, of which many have been screwed over by the
>media concentrating on the extreme fringe of the spectrum. Compared
>to Vanity Fair and/or MTV, this is pretty good coverage. "Fair and
>Balanced", as the major news channel with the furry name puts it --
>there's some crazies here, but they're only part of a full spectrum of
>eccentricities. That and they got the background history summary
>right.

One thing to note is how this one guy describes that furry literature and comic
books could be a mepathor on how a real-life human scoeities deal with racial
and ethnic issues, and about the newspaper article reveals how the
fur-eccentrics have problems with the "furry=sleaze sex" sterotype from other
media. It breaks my heart over the one teenage boy who gets roughed up by a
school bully over "you have sex with phushies" (when in fact the first kid
never did, of course.)


>
>
>And anyone recognize "Andrew Mulcher", the only one of the first three
>interviewees to give his real name? It's Kinky Turtle (Yig-Ped!), who
>draws those funny con-report comic strips on his website. ("When
>Fursuits Attack...")

Cool. URL, please?

John Shughart

Xydexx The Silly Squeaky Pony

unread,
Dec 19, 2003, 12:45:31 AM12/19/03
to
DishRoom1 wrote :
> Cool. URL, please?

Yeah, KT is all kinds of cool.

KT's Cartoon Trip Diaries & Photos:
http://www.conmicro.cx/~kturtle/diaries/

--
______________________________________________________________________
Karl Xydexx Jorgensen http://www.xydexx.com
Xydexx Squeakypony http://xydexx.livejournal.com
"Stranger things have happened. I'll probably get blamed for them."

William Earl Haskell

unread,
Dec 19, 2003, 1:11:53 AM12/19/03
to
William Earl Haskell wrote:

> Paul Johnson wrote:
>

>> Looks like media coverage about media coverage. Houston Press must be
>> planning a slow news day tomorrow, the article is dated 12/18.
>>
>> Seems like they're trying to run a positive human interest piece and
>> makes furries look like everyday people, if not a bit geeky and
>> eccentric.

> I believe this is the same fellow who somehow got onto TAFF not long ago,


> making inquiries about local furry activity. Haven't seen this article,
> but
> will tomorrow. In the recent past HP's run cover stories on Anime, Gamers
> and other such cultural riffraff, so I suppose it's a natural progression.

Well, I've read it and find the article quite a contrast with most of the
rather feculant matter that has been deposited on furfen in the past. Aside
from the fursuiters and such, the main theme seems to be how this kid with
some psych problems (Tourette's Syndrome no less) has more or less come to
terms with it with the help of his animal buddies - for which I salute him,
of course. The use of animal "pals" is not unknown to therapists; there's
an outfit, name escapes me at this moment, that brings dogs etc into
hospitals to hang out with the kids recovering from various things, and
there's at least one nursing home near here that has dogs and cats roaming
the corridors.

The mall fursuit business I heard about from the folx involved, and while I
don't recall hearing about any arrests some of the 'suiters did behave
rather poorly in the face of Official Reproof. Or semi-official, as they
were only mall cops, with limited authority beyond maintaining order.

Paul Johnson

unread,
Dec 19, 2003, 1:31:53 AM12/19/03
to
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

The 18 Dec 2003 10:21:20 -0800, Ken Pick <cath...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> (Of course, Hirtes did his usual shriek-and-gloat as soon as this
> thread began; everyone pat Crazy Mikey on the head and give him
> another cookie before taking him back into his attic.)

Somehow I doubt that Hirtes bothered to educate himself about what he
was ranting against..

- --
.''`. Paul Johnson <ba...@ursine.ca>
: :' :
`. `'` proud Debian admin and user
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fix a system
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/4ptZUzgNqloQMwcRAkJTAJwKkGFRSEKIWNjMHAiikAeFvoelCACg4wkP
qQjiZxj85I4RIEKQWcpHRAU=
=IQ8U
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Ilthuain

unread,
Dec 19, 2003, 3:14:34 AM12/19/03
to

HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!

U USED TEH SAME JOKE\ AGAIN/!?!11!! HE IS A CLOWN!!

Hey Mike, does it hurt knowing that right now you are the best you'll
ever be? Jesus, that's sad.

You'll never be valued, never have children, never see a look of longing
in a lover's stare... You're going to continue to exist merely as a
liability in the eyes of those 'close' to you as well as the state.
What's so pathetic is that I would rather hang out with the freakish
losers in this article than you. At the very least they have a story to
tell, you just have your coveted 'Five Zinger System' to rank generic
versions of Hostess treats. Though it did take years of research, it
can only sustain conversation for so long.

-Ilth
I use the same SUBJECT for a dig over and over, but at least there is
some new material in there.

Matt Harpold

unread,
Dec 19, 2003, 6:28:00 AM12/19/03
to

> Ronald Jr. in all his gooey (I mean, glory):

This is your best material?!?!


>
> http://david-drake.com/conglom.html
>
> Gotta love that pic of "Dave" too. He looks like George Clontz when he
> gives people "The Stare".
>
> Oh well, at least Anna the fat chick had the ability to sense teh shame
> and cover her face.

Yep, this was last year! And that's certainly me, with the Manic Panic hair.
Pity it washes out in about a month. Dyed it purple after that, and then I
just let it go back to blonde. Those guys running that con in Kentucky were
a great group of people. They need some skills in Unreal T, though, maybe
people on the coasts just know their FPSes better.

I'm not sure how pointing to pictures of me as a GoH at a con makes *you*
look better, but maybe being a shut-in changes your outlook on life. Enjoy
that group home! Do the caregivers feed you your meds, or are you allowed to
take them on your own?

-Matt/Turb

Lord Commander Solar Macharius

unread,
Dec 19, 2003, 6:41:33 AM12/19/03
to
MHirtes <ht...@jawholenewaddy.com> shall never vanquished be until

great Birnam wood to high alt.fan.furry. hill shall come against him.

>teh shame

Are you going all l337 on us?

DishRoom1

unread,
Dec 19, 2003, 12:08:47 PM12/19/03
to
Xydexx wrote --

I wrote --

>> Cool. URL, please?
>
>Yeah, KT is all kinds of cool.
>
>KT's Cartoon Trip Diaries & Photos:
> http://www.conmicro.cx/~kturtle/diaries/

Thank you.

John Shughart

Ken Pick

unread,
Dec 19, 2003, 12:51:02 PM12/19/03
to
Paul Johnson <ba...@ursine.ca> wrote in message news:<pjiab1-...@ursine.ca>...

> Somehow I doubt that Hirtes bothered to educate himself about what he
> was ranting against..

Does he ever?

He's like a much nastier version of Groucho Marx in _Duck Soup_:

"WHATEVER IT IS, I'M AGAINST IT!"

Kris Overstreet

unread,
Dec 19, 2003, 9:34:48 PM12/19/03
to
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:04:54 -0800, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursine.ca>
wrote:

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>Hash: SHA1
>

>http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/current/feature.html/1/index.html
>Wild Kingdom
>The furries are fighting like animals, just for a little respect

I read that article and had two thoughts:

(1) This writer tried his damndest to be fair and sympathetic to the
fur fandom community... and

(2) The article still comes off as a 'Hey Martha, lookit th' freaks'
piece.

I don't think that an article which focuses primarily on a young man
who is borderline incapable of coping with reality is going to do the
fandom any favors.

Kris@WLP
not a furry, but a fan of furry works


Wanderer

unread,
Dec 20, 2003, 4:21:30 AM12/20/03
to
"Kris Overstreet" <red...@wlpcomics.com> wrote in message
news:c5d7uvs93nbachjt6...@4ax.com...

<snip>

> I don't think that an article which focuses primarily on a young man
> who is borderline incapable of coping with reality is going to do the
> fandom any favors.
>

<cocks head> Um, are you not familiar with Tourette's? It's also known as
Giles de la Tourette's Syndrome, and causes problems only by virtue of the
behavioral compulsions... sufferers are typically of acute intellect and
high intelligence.

Yours from a medical family,

The medicinal,

Wanderer
wand...@ticnet.com

"Where am I going? I don't quite know.
What does it matter *where* people go?
Down to the woods where the bluebells grow!
Anywhere! Anywhere! *I* don't know!"
-- a. a. milne


Wanderer

unread,
Dec 20, 2003, 4:24:29 AM12/20/03
to
"William Earl Haskell" <for...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message
news:3fe295e5$0$183$a726...@news.hal-pc.org...

<snip>

> The mall fursuit business I heard about from the folx involved, and while
I
> don't recall hearing about any arrests some of the 'suiters did behave
> rather poorly in the face of Official Reproof. Or semi-official, as they
> were only mall cops, with limited authority beyond maintaining order.

Fursonally, I would have had a pre-printed item to present to the police, to
wit:

I will happily oblige your request to remove my mask in a more private
setting. For legal reasons, I risk a lawsuit if I remove any portion of my
costume in public. Otherwise, I'd gladly oblige... it's HOT in here!

Yours with a wolfish smile,

The happy,

DishRoom1

unread,
Dec 20, 2003, 5:17:50 AM12/20/03
to
Kris Overstreet wrote --

Paul Johnson wrote --

>>http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/current/feature.html/1/index.html


>>Wild Kingdom
>>The furries are fighting like animals, just for a little respect
>
>I read that article and had two thoughts:
>
>(1) This writer tried his damndest to be fair and sympathetic to the
>fur fandom community... and
>
>(2) The article still comes off as a 'Hey Martha, lookit th' freaks'
>piece.
>
>I don't think that an article which focuses primarily on a young man
>who is borderline incapable of coping with reality is going to do the
>fandom any favors.

I somewhat disagree. Maybe some of furry fans featured in the article aren't
perfect, but then again no one in the world is ever perfect, even those who
seem 100% perfect on the surface.

At least be thankful it wasn't the "hey Martha, lookit th' sex-orgy/plushie-sex
freaks" treatment. So it's a couple of steps or so higher than MTV, Vanity
Fair, "ER", "She Spies" and even "CSI".

John Shughart

John Shughart

BR

unread,
Dec 20, 2003, 10:28:53 AM12/20/03
to
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 03:24:29 -0600, Wanderer wrote:

> I risk a lawsuit if I remove any portion of my costume in public.

Risk a lawsuit?

--
-- James Fenimore Cooper
The tendency of democracies is, in all things, to mediocrity, since the tastes,
knowledge, and principles of the majority form the tribunal of appeal.

MHirtes

unread,
Dec 20, 2003, 10:46:34 AM12/20/03
to
In article <vu85ag1...@corp.supernews.com>,
"Wanderer" <wand...@ticnet.com> wrote:

> "William Earl Haskell" <for...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message
> news:3fe295e5$0$183$a726...@news.hal-pc.org...
>
> <snip>
>
> > The mall fursuit business I heard about from the folx involved, and while
> I
> > don't recall hearing about any arrests some of the 'suiters did behave
> > rather poorly in the face of Official Reproof. Or semi-official, as they
> > were only mall cops, with limited authority beyond maintaining order.
>
> Fursonally, I would have had a pre-printed item to present to the police, to
> wit:
>
> I will happily oblige your request to remove my mask in a more private
> setting. For legal reasons, I risk a lawsuit if I remove any portion of my
> costume in public. Otherwise, I'd gladly oblige... it's HOT in here!
>

And Officer Barbrady responds with a nightstick up your back SPH.

G. Raymond Eddy

unread,
Dec 20, 2003, 4:58:08 PM12/20/03
to
MHirtes wrote:
>
> And Officer Barbrady responds with a nightstick up your back SPH.

And Officer Barbrady, his employer, and the mall where his services are
contracted are all sued for his excessive use of force, in light of the
fact that the fursuiters do not present a clear and present danger to
his person.

Speaking as a security officer, if I really had a bug up my arse against
the costumed kooks, I would instead serve them with a Criminal Trespass
Form. This form explains my home state's criminal trespass statutes.

As an authorized representative for the business who contracts my
services, I have the same authority as the management of said business
to order the fursuiters off the premises. If they refuse, they are
guilty of criminal trespass, and I can serve them the abovementioned
form, and give copies of the form to my employer and client business
where I work. Once I have done so, if I find them on the premisises
again, I can call the police and they can take care of the nasty
business of physically dragging them off.

Allen Kitchen

unread,
Dec 20, 2003, 10:10:31 PM12/20/03
to

G. Raymond Eddy wrote:

> As an authorized representative for the business who contracts my
> services, I have the same authority as the management of said business
> to order the fursuiters off the premises. If they refuse, they are
> guilty of criminal trespass, and I can serve them the abovementioned
> form, and give copies of the form to my employer and client business
> where I work. Once I have done so, if I find them on the premisises
> again, I can call the police and they can take care of the nasty
> business of physically dragging them off.
>

All fine and good, except nobody was ordered off of the premises. They
were ordered to disrobe, IE take their costume heads off. If a mall
cop ordered you to take your britches off, no doubt you'd be somewhat
incensed. Fact is, there is plenty of error on all sides in that. But
the story was an illustration of how narrow-minded this city is.

The article in the paper is also part of a larger subject which did not
make it into print. The question asked was why Houston had no SF,
Fantasy or Furry conventions in it. Considering the city's size, large
base of fannish citizens from Nasa, Baylor and Methodist med centers
and Rice Univ., number of venues and convention sites, it doesn't
make a lot of sense that no cons exist here.

The reasons as explained to the reporter are part historical and
part the mentality of those living in the city. If someone walks into
a coffee bar wearing a rabbit suit in the city of New York, it gets
shown on the Letterman show. If the same happens in Houston, the
local Gestapo shits itself first and thinks later (if at all.) The
Katy Mills mall escapade is only an example of excessive overreaction
by local police and rent a cops when confronted with anything even
the slightest bit odd. It was like that in the 70s; it is no different
today.

And as an odd aside to this; walking into a mom and pop store at 4am
in Camo and wearing a 9mm and a small hunting knife won't even get you
a raised eyebrow - everyone assumes you are going hunting. But walk
into a mall in a fursuit and everyone assumes you are a threat to the
public. How do I know? I've done the former and usually do so at
this time of year. Nobody ever said anything to me, walking into an
almost empty store armed like that. But a couple of folks in costumes?
Call the FBI!

Shockwave

MHirtes

unread,
Dec 20, 2003, 11:55:47 PM12/20/03
to
In article <Ha8Fb.74405$HH.4...@fe1.texas.rr.com>,
Allen Kitchen <shockwa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> G. Raymond Eddy wrote:
>
> > As an authorized representative for the business who contracts my
> > services, I have the same authority as the management of said business
> > to order the fursuiters off the premises. If they refuse, they are
> > guilty of criminal trespass, and I can serve them the abovementioned
> > form, and give copies of the form to my employer and client business
> > where I work. Once I have done so, if I find them on the premisises
> > again, I can call the police and they can take care of the nasty
> > business of physically dragging them off.
> >
>
> All fine and good, except nobody was ordered off of the premises. They
> were ordered to disrobe, IE take their costume heads off. If a mall
> cop ordered you to take your britches off, no doubt you'd be somewhat
> incensed. Fact is, there is plenty of error on all sides in that. But
> the story was an illustration of how narrow-minded this city is.

Yeah. How DARE they not embrace the world of furree'. All Hail Furree'!

>
> The article in the paper is also part of a larger subject which did not
> make it into print. The question asked was why Houston had no SF,
> Fantasy or Furry conventions in it. Considering the city's size, large
> base of fannish citizens from Nasa, Baylor and Methodist med centers
> and Rice Univ., number of venues and convention sites, it doesn't
> make a lot of sense that no cons exist here.
>
> The reasons as explained to the reporter are part historical and
> part the mentality of those living in the city.

Heavy use of the "mental".

> If someone walks into
> a coffee bar wearing a rabbit suit in the city of New York, it gets
> shown on the Letterman show. If the same happens in Houston, the
> local Gestapo shits itself first and thinks later (if at all.) The
> Katy Mills mall escapade is only an example of excessive overreaction
> by local police and rent a cops when confronted with anything even
> the slightest bit odd. It was like that in the 70s; it is no different
> today.
>
> And as an odd aside to this; walking into a mom and pop store at 4am
> in Camo and wearing a 9mm and a small hunting knife won't even get you
> a raised eyebrow - everyone assumes you are going hunting. But walk
> into a mall in a fursuit and everyone assumes you are a threat to the
> public.

Hey, a lot of people saw that C.S.I. episode. :)

BR

unread,
Dec 21, 2003, 12:05:57 AM12/21/03
to
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:10:31 +0000, Allen Kitchen wrote:

> And as an odd aside to this; walking into a mom and pop store at 4am in
> Camo and wearing a 9mm and a small hunting knife won't even get you a
> raised eyebrow - everyone assumes you are going hunting. But walk into
> a mall in a fursuit and everyone assumes you are a threat to the public.
> How do I know? I've done the former and usually do so at this time of
> year. Nobody ever said anything to me, walking into an almost empty
> store armed like that. But a couple of folks in costumes? Call the FBI!

The novel is sometimes like that. But I don't think the gun and knife is
universal. I sometimes wear a ski mask for warmth during the winter.
Needless to say (but I will :), gas stations aren't always wild about the
idea. Your gun and knife would get a similiar reaction.

G. Raymond Eddy

unread,
Dec 21, 2003, 12:44:11 AM12/21/03